Marvin Bagley III explains why he liked tweet suggesting Kings trade him

Just dumb, you've been injured basically the majority of your career, and your competitiveness makes you want to go to another team ?

How about understand the frustration of fans, suck it up, and play hard rather than playing blame games ? It's the Kings fault that you are injured all the time ?

I think if he were truly a competitor he would talk with the organization, express his desire to win, express that desire to the fans, and all would basically be good.

I try to stay out of Bagley discussion (for the most part), but he just doesn't help himself. He's clearly immature, and unfortunately he has a toxic father who is likely feeding into these delusions.

His explanation wasn't a valid explanation at all, it was thinly veiled self-praise.

I still think he can become a good player, and hopefully that's with the Kings. But that's not going to happen until he faces reality. It's also looking increasingly unlikely it will happen for him here, given his attitude.

dudes a clown. Can’t even stay on the court and he’s being a little girl. He’s gonna get destroyed on a big team market it will be glorious

Marvin was picked before Luka Doncic and Trae Young, the best of their draft class, so he likely feels he has some catching up to do. And to make matters worse, he's had difficulty staying healthy at the start of his career, so he likely feels even greater urgency to illustrate his worth in the time he actually does see the court, rather than simply allowing the game to come to him.

But there remain mitigating factors that are outside of his control. Players of his profile are shrinking in their impact in the modern NBA. He's a PF in a league that doesn't even really have PF's anymore. He's going to have to log a lot of time at center to succeed as a starter in today's league, and it's unclear if he'll ever be able to defend that position effectively.

Ultimately, he hasn't lived up to his draft billing, his athleticism hasn't been enough to carry him as he's transitioned into the NBA, he's struggled mightily on defense, he's been injured, and the fans in Sacramento haven't embraced him because they're too busy mourning the failure of the franchise to pick Luka Doncic. The league is starting to pass Bagley by before his career even gets off the ground.

Right or not, it doesn't surprise me that he's already contemplating a change of scenery. It could be the best outcome for all involved. He's on his second GM and second coach since he was drafted, and they'll have to determine if they think they can win with him.

Bingo. The NBA has basically evolved to a point where if you want to be a big, you either have to have guard/wing like skills (playmaking/shooting) or be able to anchor a defense at the 5 position. Bagleys skill-set is that of a traditional PF 15 years ago.

If you look at their future salary commitments and the players on their roster, all it would take is a belief in Bagley's potential. They wouldn't care about the one year left part because they could make him an RFA, and they can "overpay" to keep him from accepting the QO, if that's what it takes.

Right now, the Thunder are basically Kemba (who is really just the current avatar of their wheel-and-deal), SGA, then a couple of guys who might pan out in Poku and Bazley. The rest of the roster might feature a few useful rotation pieces, and they'll hope to hit the jackpot with #6 this year, but a guy like Bagley would be a great way to gamble away a few of their gazillion picks and actually fits their timeline pretty well as he would allow them to stagger their potential payouts - SGA and Bagley in '22, Bazley in '23, Poku in '24, #6 in '25 - rather than perhaps trying to pay out three first rounders in '25 when SGA/Bazley/Poku could potentially be eating away at the cap space they have in abundance now.

If I'm Presti, and I think Bagley is on the table, I won't just go #16, I'll go #16 + #18 to get that done, and feel like I ripped the Kings off.
Bagley, who has one year left on his rookie deal, is going to net 16 and 18? Teams were offering two seconds last year, but a month or so later and Presti is going to offer two firsts? That ain't happening. And OKC has a comparable player in Roby already.

Just dumb, you've been injured basically the majority of your career, and your competitiveness makes you want to go to another team ?

How about understand the frustration of fans, suck it up, and play hard rather than playing blame games ? It's the Kings fault that you are injured all the time ?

I think if he were truly a competitor he would talk with the organization, express his desire to win, express that desire to the fans, and all would basically be good.
He’s never been about the team though. Since Day 1 it was about “ME.” How am I being used. How many minutes do I get. How the teams coaching affects me. I’ve never seen such a worthless player have such a superstar attitude.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know you like Bags but that seems shockingly optimistic for even his most staunch of supporters.
Since it has been an hour and nobody has answered, I'll ask again:

What do you think Jaren Jackson Jr. would return?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I know you like Bags but that seems shockingly optimistic for even his most staunch of supporters.
I think I probably deleted my reply to Cap's post but I think the 16/18 for Bags deal is fair to both teams with the odds of it being a huge steal for OKC better than us getting a 5 year player from either pick.

OKC is the perfect destination for Bagley to rehab, have zero pressure, and showcase his way into a long term $$$ deal. Oh, and OKC probably will flip him for a top 10 pick at the deadline if that's even close to happening. I'm sure the Luke/Sacramento didn't know how to use him narrative will bail him out for some suckers.

I think I probably deleted my reply to Cap's post but I think the 16/18 for Bags deal is fair to both teams with the odds of it being a huge steal for OKC better than us getting a 5 year player from either pick.

OKC is the perfect destination for Bagley to rehab, have zero pressure, and showcase his way into a long term $$$ deal. Oh, and OKC probably will flip him for a top 10 pick at the deadline if that's even close to happening. I'm sure the Luke/Sacramento didn't know how to use him narrative will bail him out for some suckers.
Even if Bagley blows up, his value is capped by the lack of years on his rookie deal.

Since it has been an hour and nobody has answered, I'll ask again:

What do you think Jaren Jackson Jr. would return?
JJJ > Bags. Plays two ways, more consistent shooter. I’d give a mid first for him. Bagley hasn’t been as durable, can’t play a lick of defense, and is more expensive. I would give, at best, a pick in the mid to late 20s.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Bagley, who has one year left on his rookie deal, is going to net 16 and 18? Teams were offering two seconds last year, but a month or so later and Presti is going to offer two firsts? That ain't happening. And OKC has a comparable player in Roby already.
What teams may have been rumored to offer in lowball attempts that obviously weren't accepted is irrelevant.

We're not talking about two future firsts that could end up anywhere in the draft. We're talking about #16 and #18, lower-middle first round picks in a draft where the depth of talent is known. Optimistically at that point you're getting a flyer on Ziaire Williams or Greg Brown and a guard like Dosunmu or Springer (or Butler, if he's cleared to play in the NBA). There's a chance those picks could pan out, but we're not talking about a king's ransom in value here.

Meanwhile, OKC has accumulated SEVENTEEN FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS in the next six drafts. That's not even beginning to count their second-round picks. Do you think they plan to make all of those selections? Their plan is obviously to package those picks for players. Bagley is a young, high-ceiling player who will be an RFA and fits their timeline perfectly. If they're not willing to give two middling picks out of their seventeen they've got coming for a player like that, then their rebuild is not going to go the way they hope.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's definitely a gap between the player Bagley thinks he is and the player he actually is.

But it also seems like there's a gap between the player Bagley actually is and the player most Kings fans think he is.

To Capt's point, Jaren Jackson Jr has missed nearly the same number of games to injury (he played in 126 out of 228 games vs Bagley's 118 out of 227 games) and their stats are pretty similar. Bagley is the better rebounder and inside scorer and JJJ is the better shotblocker and outside shooter though Bagley is gradually improving there.

I think Jackson is a better fit in today's NBA but the biggest difference is probably more about perception. JJJ was picked 4th and not 2nd and he (and his father) haven't been tarnishing his reputation with their comments and actions.

Which is why Grizzlies fans just want JJJ to stay healthy and be a cornerstone player and Kings fans are arguing over whether Bagley is worth a mid to late 1st round pick or a 2nd rounder.

What teams may have been rumored to offer in lowball attempts that obviously weren't accepted is irrelevant.

We're not talking about two future firsts that could end up anywhere in the draft. We're talking about #16 and #18, lower-middle first round picks in a draft where the depth of talent is known. Optimistically at that point you're getting a flyer on Ziaire Williams or Greg Brown and a guard like Dosunmu or Springer (or Butler, if he's cleared to play in the NBA). There's a chance those picks could pan out, but we're not talking about a king's ransom in value here.

Meanwhile, OKC has accumulated SEVENTEEN FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS in the next six drafts. That's not even beginning to count their second-round picks. Do you think they plan to make all of those selections? Their plan is obviously to package those picks for players. Bagley is a young, high-ceiling player who will be an RFA and fits their timeline perfectly. If they're not willing to give two middling picks out of their seventeen they've got coming for a player like that, then their rebuild is not going to go the way they hope.
OKC accumulated those picks to acquire a star or to move up and pick a star. They’re not going to use it on a guy, who has a year left on his rookie contract and is worth, at best, a 20s or later first.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
JJJ > Bags. Plays two ways, more consistent shooter. I’d give a mid first for him. Bagley hasn’t been as durable, can’t play a lick of defense, and is more expensive. I would give, at best, a pick in the mid to late 20s.
Well, I mean JJJ has played in a whole 8 games more than Bagley in his career, his shooting is trending in the wrong direction (while Bagley's is trending in the right direction), and he's an ATROCIOUS rebounder for his size. If the Kings had drafted JJJ instead of Bagley, the tune around here would be Bagley > JJJ rather than the other way around.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer Jackson too but hard to say he's more durable than Bagley when he only played 11 games last year and has 8 lower body injuries in his three seasons including a torn meniscus.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
OKC accumulated those picks to acquire a star or to move up and pick a star. They’re not going to use it on a guy, who has a year left on his rookie contract and is worth, at best, a 20s or later first.
Believe it or not, Bagley still has a better chance of panning out long term than the 16 and 18. He'll be a restricted free agent and there is no pressure on him. Odds are they flip him again after re-signing him.

Well, I mean JJJ has played in a whole 8 games more than Bagley in his career, his shooting is trending in the wrong direction (while Bagley's is trending in the right direction), and he's an ATROCIOUS rebounder for his size. If the Kings had drafted JJJ instead of Bagley, the tune around here would be Bagley > JJJ rather than the other way around.
Regardless of your opinion, neither player is netting two mid firsts. Players,who have shown themselves to not be stars, and on one year rookie deals don’t have that kind of value. Thought you were more objective on player values, but you’re really wearing some purple glasses with your view on Bags and likely Buddy.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
OK, Presti's gonna flip #16 and #18 into Damian Lillard, sure. Again, if OKC misvalues their picks like that, the rebuild is gonna suck.

Restricted Free Agency means OKC would likely have control of Bagley for 6 years. Right now they're looking at 4 straight years with $75M-$120M+ of cap space. Bagley's contract status is so far from an issue here I don't even see how it can be brought up as a serious point.

Believe it or not, Bagley still has a better chance of panning out long term than the 16 and 18. He'll be a restricted free agent and there is no pressure on him. Odds are they flip him again after re-signing him.
Roby is a better bet than Bags at this point in their careers.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Being a contract year I have a feeling Bagley won't be sitting out 20 games every time be breaks a nail.

If he hits 20/10 he'll get paid somewhere. OKC could really hit a homerun and as far as I know are the only team in the middle of anything resembling a process long term tank.

OK, Presti's gonna flip #16 and #18 into Damian Lillard, sure. Again, if OKC misvalues their picks like that, the rebuild is gonna suck.

Restricted Free Agency means OKC would likely have control of Bagley for 6 years. Right now they're looking at 4 straight years with $75M-$120M+ of cap space. Bagley's contract status is so far from an issue here I don't even see how it can be brought up as a serious point.
Really?! So now you’re saying I’m implying 16 and 18 is going to get Lillard? Stop twisting things.

You can reason all you want, the point is Bagley ain’t a star. Presti’s not going to be giving away assets to bet on a dude that is more likely to be Derrick Favors than Giannis.

Being a contract year I have a feeling Bagley won't be sitting out 20 games every time be breaks a nail.

If he hits 20/10 he'll get paid somewhere. OKC could really hit a homerun and as far as I know are the only team in the middle of anything resembling a process long term tank.
that, we agree. Still won’t fix his other issues though.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You can reason all you want, the point is Bagley ain’t a star. Presti’s not going to be giving away assets to bet on a dude that is more likely to be Derrick Favors than Giannis.
Derrick Favors not exactly an exciting player but probably better than just a random 16 and 18.

Yes, Bagley sucks when compared to Luka and Trae. How does Bagley project out compared to Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker IV, the 16 and 18 picks from his class?

Derrick Favors not exactly an exciting player but probably better than just a random 16 and 18.

Yes, Bagley sucks when compared to Luka and Trae. How does Bagley project out compared to Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker IV, the 16 and 18 picks from his class?
Lonnie Walker has about the same value as Bags right now. Yhall really need to visit other forums/boards/scour comments from local and natiaonal reporters--Bagley simply does not have much value.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Really?! So now you’re saying I’m implying 16 and 18 is going to get Lillard? Stop twisting things.
You're the one who said OKC is saving up their picks to go after stars. Of course I was being sarcastic. But to be dead serious, what kind of a star do you think they're going to get with #16 and #18? Keep in mind, they've got three weeks to flip those picks (even if they include others) in a deal for a star. The clock is ticking. Bagley's not a star, but as others in this thread have pointed out, he's got a better chance to be one than #16 and #18. If Bagley's on the table for that deal, I don't see Presti saying no unless he's got a better offer. What's the better offer?

The idea that Bagley has to be Giannis (or, let's be brutally honest, Luka) or he has effectively zero value is just wrong. Nobody should be thinking that Bagley is going to be Giannis. Nobody should be considering Bagley to be useless because he isn't going to be Giannis. And #16 and #18 ain't getting you Giannis.

Derrick Favors, by the way, had a pretty nice career (though his game really isn't all that much like Bagley's). In terms of Wins Shares he's currently the second-best player in his draft, and considering that most of the players within shouting distance of him have had career-altering injuries, he may well keep that slot. If you traded #16 and #18 for Favors following his third season, you'd have gotten 39 WS over the next 6 years in exchange for Lucas Nogueira and Shane Larkin. That would have been a ridiculously one-sided trade. So tell me more about how Bagley's going to end up having a career like Derrick Favors and therefore is not remotely worth the #16 and #18.

You're the one who said OKC is saving up their picks to go after stars. Of course I was being sarcastic. But to be dead serious, what kind of a star do you think they're going to get with #16 and #18? Keep in mind, they've got three weeks to flip those picks (even if they include others) in a deal for a star. The clock is ticking. Bagley's not a star, but as others in this thread have pointed out, he's got a better chance to be one than #16 and #18. If Bagley's on the table for that deal, I don't see Presti saying no unless he's got a better offer. What's the better offer?

The idea that Bagley has to be Giannis (or, let's be brutally honest, Luka) or he has effectively zero value is just wrong. Nobody should be thinking that Bagley is going to be Giannis. Nobody should be considering Bagley to be useless because he isn't going to be Giannis. And #16 and #18 ain't getting you Giannis.

Derrick Favors, by the way, had a pretty nice career (though his game really isn't all that much like Bagley's). In terms of Wins Shares he's currently the second-best player in his draft, and considering that most of the players within shouting distance of him have had career-altering injuries, he may well keep that slot. If you traded #16 and #18 for Favors following his third season, you'd have gotten 39 WS over the next 6 years in exchange for Lucas Nogueira and Shane Larkin. That would have been a ridiculously one-sided trade. So tell me more about Bagley's going to end up having a career like Derrick Favors and therefore is not remotely worth the #16 and #18.
See my post above.

The one about Isaiah Roby being better than Bagley? Yeah, I saw it.
This one: Yhall really need to visit other forums/boards/scour comments from local and natiaonal reporters--Bagley simply does not have much value.

But since you think Bags > Roby, here's a sample:

Edit: yhall laugh, but I would give up #9 + _____ for Roby + Dort. Both players are going to be long term studs. Hell, I would trade #9 for Presti. And, in case you're wondering, I saw those plays live.

Last edited: