What’s your Mock?

He's been pretty high on nbadraft.net's mock draft for quite some time now. Bouncing around 8th-11th or so.

I'm personally not a big fan from what I've seen. Seems like the typical kind of Kings player. Solid offense, not much defense.
assuming Monte sticks to his MO, Bouknight will not be our choice then

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Monte keeps the pick, the pick will be able to play defense. If they think Mitchell is BPA, then take him and deal Delon Wright for a similar quality center or wing. I mean there’s lots of ways to go. Expect the player to be able to make an impact defensively though.

Im with you. Bouknight is fast and explosive. He probably won’t be a good defender his rookie year, rookies hardly ever are, but he has the profile to be one, unlike Hield. His upside is the highest of all players drafted after 5, except maybe Jalen Johnson. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he finishes near the top of ROY.
Time will tell. At this point, I rate him in the same tier as the top 5.

Long-suffering Kings' fans have earned their cynicism, but the truth is that Monte hasn't.

As for drafting another SG, I hope they don't - with the HUGE caveat that drafting good players at a position of relative strength >>> drafting bad players at positions of need.

My hope is that a player like Bouknight will be drafted by one of the teams ahead of the Kings, pushing down a Kuminga/Barnes/Johnson who otherwise wouldn't be there.
The cynicism currently lies with the powers over his head so what Monte actually is, is still up in the air. Hopefully this is actually his show but fool me once. Dumars wasn't supposed to interfere with Vlade in any way either and....

BPA. Trade or sign FAs for fit.
BPA in that range is highly a highly flexible situation and really up to opinion so in a draft like this it's pretty much fit that should be the decider. Bouknight being better than a Wagner, Moody, Jalen Johnson, etc. isn't a given at all. He could very well be as a scorer but when considering the reasons I stated prior that upside is severely hindered considering the team he'd be coming into.

If Monte keeps the pick, the pick will be able to play defense. If they think Mitchell is BPA, then take him and deal Delon Wright for a similar quality center or wing. I mean there’s lots of ways to go. Expect the player to be able to make an impact defensively though.
Now, what kind of wing are you really going to get with Delon? The Kings basically got him for free as it was. Quality wings aren't available at the dollar store right now. It's just a fact. And if Mitchell comes in that means one of Haliburton or he are going to basically be bench players from here on. Not a terrible end and defense is needed but if your hole on the wing potential wise is still there then you've filled up even more on the ends and did nothing in the middle of your problems.

BPA in that range is highly a highly flexible situation and really up to opinion so in a draft like this it's pretty much fit that should be the decider. Bouknight being better than a Wagner, Moody, Jalen Johnson, etc. isn't a given at all. He could very well be as a scorer but when considering the reasons I stated prior that upside is severely hindered considering the team he'd be coming into.
BPA is pretty clear cut, isn't it? Drafting for fit gets you Giles instead of Mitchell. Bagley instead of Luka. Would this team be better off with Mitchell or Luka? Think it's pretty clear cut.

BPA is pretty clear cut, isn't it? Drafting for fit gets you Giles instead of Mitchell. Bagley instead of Luka. Would this team be better off with Mitchell or Luka? Think it's pretty clear cut.
BPA is an opinion usually tied to what the majority of other GM's think in a draft like this. This draft has a clear cut 5 or so, then after that there is wavering. Bagley was still mocked in the top of that draft for the majority of the time. Luka was in that number 1 discussion as well and look at how that went. FIT and preference. The Hawks went with Trae Young instead. And I don't think Giles wasn't a fit player, he was the exact example of BPA who probably didn't fit, he was a drop guy that Vlade figured why not take a chance on.

I'm just going to give my big board top 14, rather than a mock, since this is definitely not how the actual draft will go.

1. Cade
2. Green
3. Mobley
4. Suggs
5. Johnson
6. Kuminga
7. Sengun
8. Bouknight
9. Giddey
10. Mann
11. Barnes
12. Wagner
13. Moody
14. Mitchell

Realistically there is a good shot that Jalen Johnson will be there, and he's likely to be my top choice if he is. I'd also jump all over Kuminga if he somehow drops. Bouknight isn't an ideal fit, but you don't draft for fit under any circumstance. 8-11 are almost interchangeable for me.

BPA is an opinion usually tied to what the majority of other GM's think in a draft like this. This draft has a clear cut 5 or so, then after that there is wavering. Bagley was still mocked in the top of that draft for the majority of the time. Luka was in that number 1 discussion as well and look at how that went. FIT and preference. The Hawks went with Trae Young instead. And I don't think Giles wasn't a fit player, he was the exact example of BPA who probably didn't fit, he was a drop guy that Vlade figured why not take a chance on.
That's not exactly true in relation to Giles. While he was a top HS prospect, he really wasn't mocked in the lottery after his year at Duke, and many mocks didn't have him off the board until the end of the first, or into the second. He definitely wasn't unexpectedly there at 20. Not saying that he was drafted for fit though, he was clearly a project.

That's not exactly true in relation to Giles. While he was a top HS prospect, he really wasn't mocked in the lottery after his year at Duke, and many mocks didn't have him off the board until the end of the first, or into the second. He definitely wasn't unexpectedly there at 20. Not saying that he was drafted for fit though, he was clearly a project.
True but he was there unexpectedly relative to what he once was and yes, a why not type of pick since they had multiple to play with. Which if the Kings had more than one in this draft then heck, why not draft an upside player that doesn't fill a true need if you can fill it elsewhere. As of right now however they aren't in that position and at 9 there will be just as many wings with as much and maybe more upside available. Keon, Bouknight, and a few others have decent upside but we've seen what happens to players in a similar situation recently with this organization. Even though somehow Fox, Buddy, and Haliburton worked well according to the advanced stats even that got screwed up and likely cost Haliburton a ROY award. And Buddy's mass and strength was what allowed it to work at all since he was the one that got pushed out of his true position. The question is how many minutes are Haliburton, Bouknight, or Keon Johnson going to play at SF against the wings on the teams you need to match up with? How many minutes would Mitchell, Fox, and Haliburton get together? A backup PG/SG shouldn't be this teams priority right now unless that player is valued in that top crop and even then you have to question it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Now, what kind of wing are you really going to get with Delon? The Kings basically got him for free as it was. Quality wings aren't available at the dollar store right now. It's just a fact. And if Mitchell comes in that means one of Haliburton or he are going to basically be bench players from here on. Not a terrible end and defense is needed but if your hole on the wing potential wise is still there then you've filled up even more on the ends and did nothing in the middle of your problems.
The point being, if a player is in their opinion heads and shoulders bpa on the board, then they should take him……yeah, I get at this point it’s awfully crowded in the backcourt and they don’t need another. Mitchell was an example. But what if that example or player is better than Halliburton? Delon can become trade bait, Halliburton can be trade bait or you deal the pick. Last time I checked, if you had 3 top flight backcourt players, a team can still make it work.

Is there a wing in the draft that’s going to come in and be a difference maker? Barnes won’t be there. Johnson? Wagner? Moody? Other?

The point being, if a player is in their opinion heads and shoulders bpa on the board, then they should take him……yeah, I get at this point it’s awfully crowded in the backcourt and they don’t need another. Mitchell was an example. But what if that example or player is better than Halliburton? Delon can become trade bait, Halliburton can be trade bait or you deal the pick. Last time I checked, if you had 3 top flight backcourt players, a team can still make it work.

Is there a wing in the draft that’s going to come in and be a difference maker? Barnes won’t be there. Johnson? Wagner? Moody? Other?
If it's someone out of that top 5 dropping then it's possible value wise, but that still opens up the can of worms of how to preserve value in the interim since it will come with someone out of that group getting the short end of the stick as far as role. The Kings are in a better position in this draft than last even though last looks to be a much deeper draft past pick 14-15 than this one in terms of solid prospects. This draft looks kind of unexciting once you get to about the middle of the 1st. Pick 9 is a great spot to be in potentially to get both talent and fit in one easy selection. Monte shouldn't overthink this one. He could have really easy drafts his first two years and luckily not have to worry about fit in the process.

And for this team yes. All of them don't get in the way and play defense or have superior size/athletic ability with Johnson. Those are all needs and guess what, players like them have proven immensely valuable this playoffs. That has to factor in. They might not produce at the levels of the others but some of those others won't produce as expected if they are 4th or 5th to see the ball from the bench anyway. Obi Toppin was probably picked where he should have been relative to potential and production. He went to the wrong freaking team. They are basically blowing that pick.

Last edited:
I think Delon has much more value on the court than he does on the trade market. He's kind of a hidden gem advanced stat wise and is our best perimeter defender by a mile. I wouldn't deal him unless it was one heck of an offer and I don't see that happening.

I think Delon has much more value on the court than he does on the trade market. He's kind of a hidden gem advanced stat wise and is our best perimeter defender by a mile. I wouldn't deal him unless it was one heck of an offer and I don't see that happening.
Yeah, the Kings really did steal him in that trade to get off the CoJo dead money. Just a dude who would be at a bare minimum a key rotation player and is a bottom-end starter for a few clubs. You honestly couldn't craft a better fit as a 3rd guard who can play next to Hali or Fox, contribute secondary playmaking and defend the toughest guard on the floor. Def someone I'd like to see us keep as a long-term piece

Would be okay with this dude at 9:

Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) Tweeted:
15 PTS and 7 REBS in 24 MIN for Turkish big man Alperen Sengun in a senior national team win over Uruguay. Sengun has such a good feel for reading how his defender is guarding him in the post before spinning off. Great footwork with unique flexibility for his size. Still just 18. https://t.co/BmYoLOQIov

Plays big with that base. Bags on the other hand gets blown over because he stands to narrow.

15 PTS and 7 REBS in 24 MIN for Turkish big man Alperen Sengun in a senior national team win over Uruguay. Sengun has such a good feel for reading how his defender is guarding him in the post before spinning off. Great footwork with unique flexibility for his size. Still just 18. https://t.co/BmYoLOQIov

Plays big with that base. Bags on the other hand gets blown over because he stands to narrow.
he seems a little small to me, like small arms or something

Worried about him being a tweener at the next level. Still a chance he can grow since he's still so young, but it's kind of hard to do the Jokic post thing when you're just 6'9-610 240

he seems a little small to me, like small arms or something
He is in terms of lenght for a center. A lot of people consider him to be more in the PF range size wise. He has decent athletic ability though and doesn't shy away from contact. He's probably around Kevin Love size which isn't terrible for a big.

He is in terms of lenght for a center. A lot of people consider him to be more in the PF range size wise. He has decent athletic ability though and doesn't shy away from contact. He's probably around Kevin Love size which isn't terrible for a big.
I get it if Bagley is gone but don't we need an interior defender more than anything ?

Him and Kai Jones for example might work but I feel we need length inside

I get it if Bagley is gone but don't we need an interior defender more than anything ?

Him and Kai Jones for example might work but I feel we need length inside
Yep, I'd stay away from bigs that can't D up, switch, or lack athletic ability or length period unless that big is going to be allowed to or can anchor your offense. Otherwise you'll just get destroyed by pundits for what you can't do. Look at Porzingis. He's getting overshadowed by Luka and while he's far from terrible he's no longer anything close to the golden boy he was at one point.

Long-suffering Kings' fans have earned their cynicism, but the truth is that Monte hasn't.

As for drafting another SG, I hope they don't - with the HUGE caveat that drafting good players at a position of relative strength >>> drafting bad players at positions of need.

My hope is that a player like Bouknight will be drafted by one of the teams ahead of the Kings, pushing down a Kuminga/Barnes/Johnson who otherwise wouldn't be there.
yep I am thinking that Kuminga might fall as he has no buzz. Could maybe be:
Detroit: Cunningham
Houston: Green
Cleveland: Mobley
Toronto: Barnes
Orlando: Suggs
OKC: Sengun
GS: Bouknight
Orlando: Keon Johnson
Sacramento: Kuminga

do I think it will? No but could it? Maybe

Worried about him being a tweener at the next level. Still a chance he can grow since he's still so young, but it's kind of hard to do the Jokic post thing when you're just 6'9-610 240
Yea, I share the same worries. We won't know until he's on the court. Jokic obviously can't do the same thing if he wasn't jumbo sized.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, I share the same worries. We won't know until he's on the court. Jokic obviously can't do the same thing if he wasn't jumbo sized.
Eh, 6'10" with a 6'10" wingspan is Damontas Sabonis sized and he just had a 20 & 10 year. But like Sabonis, I think Sengun may need to play PF next to a rim protecting 5 man. Just like we've seen with Indy, that causes spacing issues.

yep I am thinking that Kuminga might fall as he has no buzz. Could maybe be:
Detroit: Cunningham
Houston: Green
Cleveland: Mobley
Toronto: Barnes
Orlando: Suggs
OKC: Sengun
GS: Bouknight
Orlando: Keon Johnson
Sacramento: Kuminga

do I think it will? No but could it? Maybe
I just posted this in another thread but maybe the most interesting thing to me if the draft shook out this way isn't necessarily Kuminga to the Kings but Sengun to the Thunder. Sengun and Pokusevski would be a really interesting front court pairing.

Kuminga is a good candidate to slide. He shot just under 39% in the G League and was below 25% from 3. And unlike Green, who kept improving as the games went along, he seemed to regress. All the mocks listing him in the top 5 seem to be around his physical profile and tools rather than on court production. I wouldn't say he's a low floor player because he does have enough tools to stick in the NBA and his shot isn't broken. But he has a long way to go to reach his ceiling and there's no guarantee he does. If he fell to 9 I'd be okay with the Kings taking him but I'm not actively rooting for it. He's maybe the riskiest of the guys in your top 9 or right behind Keon Johnson in that regard.

It will be interesting. Monte is clearly an analytics GM where Vlade was very much a traditional film/athletic type. The analytics guys tend to rank Wagner and Sengun higher so either could well be the Kings pick.

A big man that needs specific players around him to cover up for his defensive liabilities.

Where have I heard this tune? ;)
Sengun at least has some initiator tendencies with a lot of post-skill, but he basically has to become Sabonis/Jokic/KAT on offense to justify being a below average (or even average) defender. We've unfortunately learned the hard way you can't hide a bad defensive big