What’s your Mock?

It's a legit concern. He's crafty enough to where I think he could get it done at a Harrison Barnes rate or even a bit better. I like that he already has the crafty tools to draw fouls that no Kings players other than Fox and Barnes have really shown.

I like his fundamentals and defensive potential. I think it gives him a high floor as a 3&D player. He also has crafty moves when it comes to getting his shot off that could give him real scoring potential in the future. His poor burst puts a cap on his ceiling offensively though. He tends to pick up his dribble before he gets to the rim and that would limit his impact at the line for sure.

He's one of those guys you have to give a serious look at depending on who is left on the board. Especially with where he projects on defense. He could give the Kings a Mikal Bridges type presence that they desperately need. I'd rather have a Jalen Johnson point forward type but he could just as easily wind up as Evan Turner.
Yea, I see Mikal as his ceiling and someone like Corey Brewer as his floor. He probably ends up somewhere in between, which is not worth a #9 for me. Someone who would be worth #9 is Trevor Ariza. I've been trying to see if he compares to Trevor Ariza, but he doesn't have Ariza's athleticism.

Been beating a dead horse, but I think Herb Jones is going to have a better career. Would love to nab Jones at #39, but I think he goes much earlier.

ESPN/DX came out with its updated mock a few mins ago:

1. Cunningham
2. Green
3. Mobley
4. Suggs
5. Barnes
6. Kuminga
7. Mitchell
8. Bouknight--said dude has real star power and impressed at the combine (aligns with my belief that dude is the second best three level scorer in the draft)
9. Keon Johnson. Mimics what we've said here. I'd prefer someone else.
10. Giddey--said he's getting looks from teams, who draft earlier, so may not get to 10.

Outliers: Sengun @ 16. And Moody at 18.

I think Sengun goes much earlier, like within 8. Moody at 18 seems about right to me though it wouldn't surprise me to see him drop into the 20s.
I’m not sure after Monte traded for Davis and Delon Wright and given the dearth of talent on the Front Court and possible large wings why people people think we take Johnson or Mitchell. I get best player available but you can’t field a team of 6’4” guys.

I’m not sure after Monte traded for Davis and Delon Wright and given the dearth of talent on the Front Court and possible large wings why people people think we take Johnson or Mitchell. I get best player available but you can’t field a team of 6’4” guys.
I'm with you. I'd rather the Kings grab someone like Giddey or Jalen Johnson--this assumes Barnes is off the board.

If I squint hard enough and assume Keon Johnson develops his handles, I can see the argument that dude is the BPA at 9. I doubt he'll develop the type of handles to be a three level scorer though. If the Kings do pick him, would love to be proven wrong. And if ESPN's first 8 picks come true, I think the Kings will grab Sengun.

And, sadly, I think there is no chance Bouknight gets to the Kings at 9 now. Dude's footwork is sweeeeet. Watch some of those Michael Schmidt combine vids of his.

I'm with you. I'd rather the Kings grab someone like Giddey or Jalen Johnson--this assumes Barnes is off the board.

If I squint hard enough and assume Keon Johnson develops his handles, I can see the argument that dude is the BPA at 9. I doubt he'll develop the type of handles to be a three level scorer though. If the Kings do pick him, would love to be proven wrong. And if ESPN's first 8 picks come true, I think the Kings will grab Sengun.

And, sadly, I think there is no chance Bouknight gets to the Kings at 9 now. Dude's footwork is sweeeeet. Watch some of those Michael Schmidt combine vids of his.
Bouknight has grown on me. He looks like a taller Bradley Beal and he has an alpha scorers mentality. He's a difference maker and teams are apparently finally realizing he has star potential. Barnes (will be gone before 9), Sengun and Jalen Johnson are the others with high ceilings. I have a good feeling about Sengun. He is dominating a tough league just like Luka Doncic did. It's like the second best league behind the one Doncic played in. He's 18. He's going to get better. I think he makes it in the NBA.

Bouknight has grown on me. He looks like a taller Bradley Beal and he has an alpha scorers mentality. He's a difference maker and teams are apparently finally realizing he has star potential. Barnes (will be gone before 9), Sengun and Jalen Johnson are the others with high ceilings. I have a good feeling about Sengun. He is dominating a tough league just like Luka Doncic did. It's like the second best league behind the one Doncic played in. He's 18. He's going to get better. I think he makes it in the NBA.
On RealGM, I'm asking for feedback on what it would take to move up from #9 to #7 or #6. The move would be to pick Bouknight. He's more than grown on me, I think he's going to be a star. Beal/Dwade is a good comp for his ceiling. Worse case, he becomes a better handling, shorter, but better defending Kevin Martin.

On RealGM, I'm asking for feedback on what it would take to move up from #9 to #7 or #6. The move would be to pick Bouknight. He's more than grown on me, I think he's going to be a star. Beal/Dwade is a good comp for his ceiling. Worse case, he becomes a better handling, shorter, but better defending Kevin Martin.
Since it is RealGm I am sure you are getting nothing but thoughtful and intelligent responses and compelling dialogue.

Unless we're talking someone from the perceived upper tier like Kuminga falling to 7-8, I'm not sure I see a huge difference at this point between the guys that are available there vs. who is likely to be available at 9, such that I would want to see the Kings to use any major asset to move up a pick or two.

[QUOTE="Folsomkingsfan, post:
Assuming the top 5 guys are gone….
1) James Bouknight
2) Jalen Johnson
3) Alperen Sengun

These are the names I am coming down to as well (I may flip Sengun and Johnson - I just love the half court production Sengun has demonstrated and the screen setting). And I wouldn't be surprised if Bouknight breaks into the top 5.

I still think Moody also has a lot of upside that folks are taking for granted. He gets knocked for his handles, but when you have his wingspan and hands and can hit tough shots, you don’t have to be super shifty to get to your spot. So he’s on my list as well.

And I am a fan of Wagner, but not in front of those dudes - at least one of which will be available at 9. Would love to somehow grab Wagner or Zaire Williams with another pick, but I don’t see that as a likely outcome.[/QUOTE]

I think that is quite a good list. I also like Wagner but I can understand why people may do not want them on their team.
This team isn’t a playoff team. We couldn’t even make the play in this year. We need high upside, not low ceiling, but efficient role players. Bouknight looks like the second coming of Donovan Mitchell and is the most likely guy, after Jalen Green, to be a star level scoring threat. Jalen Johnson would go top 5 if it wasn’t for his issues at Duke. He’s a legit point forward who would be great next to Hali. Sengun is going to move up the ladder the closer we get to the draft as people realize he’s been cutting up NBA players and D1 guys all year at the age of 18. He’s 3 to 4 feet of distance away on his jumper from being a legit unicorn. Outside of these 3 guys there is no one after the 5th pick I feel will do anything to really improve us as a team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what is with the sudden infatuation with Bouknight? I haven't seen any games on him nor any highlight tapes, is he moving up in mocks or are there rumors that teams are high on him?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
what is with the sudden infatuation with Bouknight? I haven't seen any games on him nor any highlight tapes, is he moving up in mocks or are there rumors that teams are high on him?
I think it just shows how wide open this draft is with different opinions. And also how the quantity of Youtube scouting videos has multiplied in the last few years to the point where pretty much every fan can have an opinion on them that comes from watching clips rather than reading draft rundowns. We're also a pretty small group here so one or two people falling in love with a prospect probably gives a false impression of how highly they're regarded in general.

I think it just shows how wide open this draft is with different opinions. And also how the quantity of Youtube scouting videos has multiplied in the last few years to the point where pretty much every fan can have an opinion on them that comes from watching clips rather than reading draft rundowns. We're also a pretty small group here so one or two people falling in love with a prospect probably gives a false impression of how highly they're regarded in general.
This plus the recent combine and his pro day. Measureables and the up close viewing were all positives. In particular, dude’s shooting and footwork flashed.

I don’t think he’ll be there at 9.

I haven’t watched much of him but he was top 7-8 in the earlier mocks and then for some reason took a bit of a dive.

yah Monte can become a household name if he can find a star with the pick

This plus the recent combine and his pro day. Measureables and the up close viewing were all positives. In particular, dude’s shooting and footwork flashed.

I don’t think he’ll be there at 9.
DraftExpressContent (@DXContent) Tweeted:
James Bouknight had a great showing at the @NBA combine. He measured well and posted an impressive performance in his pro day in #Chicago

For me, I started buying Bouknight as a guy that can get to the rim and score (impressive handles and finishing ability) and a belief that he can be an elite 3 pt shooter. If I thought he’d be an average 3 pt shooter (totally up for debate) - I would not draft him in the lottery.

He's been pretty high on nbadraft.net's mock draft for quite some time now. Bouncing around 8th-11th or so.

I'm personally not a big fan from what I've seen. Seems like the typical kind of Kings player. Solid offense, not much defense.

in that case, it's a pass. it's time to start drafting defense
in that case you should be all over Davion Mitchell and Herb Jones.

Upgrading from Buddy to Bouknight is a major win in my book. But highly doubt he’ll make it to nine anyway, so it’s likely a moot point.

Remember this post next year, Bouknight is going to be in contention for the ROTY (barring injury).

Be afraid, Luke Walton would likely disagree, ha ha.

Good news. Mo' good choices, mo' bettah.
When you're a franchise with the recent history of this one, the more choices the more they can mess things up. Drafting another SG is not going to work for anyone. The Kings shouldn't be in a position that a draft pick should make a huge difference but here they are. In some good ways that they landed in a position and in a draft where need and BPA might be one and the same and bad in the sense that they should have been better than this.

Upgrading from Buddy to Bouknight is a major win in my book. But highly doubt he’ll make it to nine anyway, so it’s likely a moot point.

Remember this post next year, Bouknight is going to be in contention for the ROTY (barring injury).
Hopefully he doesn't for both he and the Kings sake because upgrading Buddy isn't the issue. The issue is finding balance, and a balance that at this current time might not even include Buddy as is. That said, Buddy probably has Bouknight by about 25-30 pounds of mostly muscle and that is the only thing that kept the Kings backcourt from turning into a complete disaster earlier than it did. It was later in the year when Walton trashed Haliburtons shot at a ROY trophy and put him in the role of backup PG by moving Buddy from SF back to SG in his place. Moving someone to SF won't be an option with the crop of combo G's and SG's available at the top of this draft. Now if someone like Suggs or Green dropped you figure it out. And with Green specifically he has off the charts athletic potential to make up for some of that.

There is a lot of fluffery going on ATM. The last time that happened Vlade bought in and his trophy was named Georgios Papagiannis. And it turns out he's actually a pretty good player now that's he's developed. His problem was the Kings drafted him and had a Demarcus Cousins sized obstacle in his way. The same issues would be there for any other one position player at G for the Kings now. If a star isn't allowed to shine it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the end.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Mitchell measured out too short to my liking, he won't be playing much with Fox and Hali getting the majority of the minutes. Kings could use some more size, they were getting annihilated on the boards past season

When you're a franchise with the recent history of this one, the more choices the more they can mess things up. Drafting another SG is not going to work for anyone.
Long-suffering Kings' fans have earned their cynicism, but the truth is that Monte hasn't.

As for drafting another SG, I hope they don't - with the HUGE caveat that drafting good players at a position of relative strength >>> drafting bad players at positions of need.

My hope is that a player like Bouknight will be drafted by one of the teams ahead of the Kings, pushing down a Kuminga/Barnes/Johnson who otherwise wouldn't be there.

Last edited:
Hopefully he doesn't for both he and the Kings sake because upgrading Buddy isn't the issue. The issue is finding balance, and a balance that at this current time might not even include Buddy as is. That said, Buddy probably has Bouknight by about 25-30 pounds of mostly muscle and that is the only thing that kept the Kings backcourt from turning into a complete disaster earlier than it did. It was later in the year when Walton trashed Haliburtons shot at a ROY trophy and put him in the role of backup PG by moving Buddy from SF back to SG in his place. Moving someone to SF won't be an option with the crop of combo G's and SG's available at the top of this draft. Now if someone like Suggs or Green dropped you figure it out. And with Green specifically he has off the charts athletic potential to make up for some of that.

There is a lot of fluffery going on ATM. The last time that happened Vlade bought in and his trophy was named Georgios Papagiannis. And it turns out he's actually a pretty good player now that's he's developed. His problem was the Kings drafted him and had a Demarcus Cousins sized obstacle in his way. The same issues would be there for any other one position player at G for the Kings now. If a star isn't allowed to shine it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the end.
BPA. Trade or sign FAs for fit.

Im with you. Bouknight is fast and explosive. He probably won’t be a good defender his rookie year, rookies hardly ever are, but he has the profile to be one, unlike Hield. His upside is the highest of all players drafted after 5, except maybe Jalen Johnson. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he finishes near the top of ROY.