2021 Workouts

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Figured it would be interesting to have a thread putting together the players the Kings are working out.

Looks like we'll be taking a look at Jericho Sims, a senior C from Texas. Sims is listed at 6'10" 245, and doesn't have a jumper. Maybe looking at him in the second round, maybe as a potential camp invite.

Figured it would be interesting to have a thread putting together the players the Kings are working out.

Looks like we'll be taking a look at Jericho Sims, a senior C from Texas. Sims is listed at 6'10" 245, and doesn't have a jumper. Maybe looking at him in the second round, maybe as a potential camp invite.
I think he is someone they would look at for their summer league team and/or their g-league team. I see little chance he gets drafted.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
6'5" Terry Taylor from Austin Peay finished working out for the Kings. Taylor was the leading scorer on his team, but he plays more like a 6'5" PF than he does a SG. Great rebounder and a very good defender. I see him as someone that might end up on our G-League team.

6'5" Terry Taylor from Austin Peay finished working out for the Kings. Taylor was the leading scorer on his team, but he plays more like a 6'5" PF than he does a SG. Great rebounder and a very good defender. I see him as someone that might end up on our G-League team.
Maybe Bruce Brown on the Nets created a position for Taylor?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And here's a video for Terry Taylor:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kings working out these small school guys trying to find that diamond. I like it. Leave no stone unturned.
As you can see, he either shoots the open three, or he posts up. He mostly sets up in the post in the halfcourt offense. May be only 6'5" of so, but he plays bigger than that.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And while it's not a "proper" workout, here is a list of the 69 prospects expected to participate at the NBA Combine (Jun 21-27):

https://news.yahoo.com/nba-announces-list-prospects-participate-212815006.html

Notable players who will NOT be at the combine:
Cade Cunningham
Jalen Suggs
Moses Moody
Franz Wagner
Alperen Sengun
Josh Giddey
Usman Garuba
Joel Ayayi
Chris Duarte
Kofi Cockburn

Here's a report with a tidbit at the end that Cam Krutwig of Loyola (Chicago) has worked out for the Kings:

https://www.sny.tv/articles/charles-barkley-roots-for-knicks-against-nets

Krutwig is a bulky big man who doesn't seem to be on too may draft boards, but here's a highlight tape:

I loved that Loyola team during the tourney and especially Krutwig, He plays like a 6’8 ish version of Jokic. I don’t know if he can make that transition, because he doesn’t have Jokic’s size and lacks the foot speed to hang in the nba. Maybe he pulls a Kevin Love and loses 30 pounds? Worth a flyer for Stockton.

I like Moody but he is unlikely to be my first choice at 9. I prefer Jalen Johnson, Sengun, and possibly even Keon Johnson and Giddey. I don't include Barnes in that as I think he's unlikely to be there. Moody seems very solid all around, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know if he has the playmaking as a creator/facilitator/ball handler I would like.

Interesting. Zaire is a dark horse at #9 but he's talented enough that I wouldn't hate it if we chose to go in that direction. He should at least be brought in for a workout.
If we can't package some crazy deal to land a big proven talent (or Simmons) I wouldn't mind us moving some of our guys for picks in the next tier beneath us. Maybe put everyone on Haliburton's timeline with Fox as our vet?

Wonder what it would take to get 16 and 18 from OKC or maybe 7 and 14 from Golden State if we took Wiggins off their hands.

If we can't package some crazy deal to land a big proven talent (or Simmons) I wouldn't mind us moving some of our guys for picks in the next tier beneath us. Maybe put everyone on Haliburton's timeline with Fox as our vet?

Wonder what it would take to get 16 and 18 from OKC or maybe 7 and 14 from Golden State if we took Wiggins off their hands.
I think Charlotte at #11 would be a trade down candidate if Sengun was available at #9. Though, I’m starting to think the Kings would pick Sengun for themselves if he’s there. My hunch is entirely based on the two known faves of the Kings last year—Hali and Bey. High IQ, more skill less athleticsm, advance stats darlings. That’s Sengun.

I think Charlotte at #11 would be a trade down candidate if Sengun was available at #9. Though, I’m starting to think the Kings would pick Sengun for themselves if he’s there. My hunch is entirely based on the two known faves of the Kings last year—Hali and Bey. High IQ, more skill less athleticsm, advance stats darlings. That’s Sengun.
Just to be clear here I'm not advocating trading out of 9 as much as trading for more firsts IF we can't trade 9 and any of the Bs for a proven win now guy. Looking more at what Phoenix did to clean house and how quickly it worked for them, I am hoping we see a ton of movement this summer. Although I still don't understand why we're bringing Walton back.

Just to be clear here I'm not advocating trading out of 9 as much as trading for more firsts IF we can't trade 9 and any of the Bs for a proven win now guy. Looking more at what Phoenix did to clean house and how quickly it worked for them, I am hoping we see a ton of movement this summer. Although I still don't understand why we're bringing Walton back.
Walton, I think is partially money and partially he gets a pass for letting the FO execute their transition year plan. In theory, trading from 9 to 11 would get the Kings more first. Three way?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Moody but he is unlikely to be my first choice at 9. I prefer Jalen Johnson, Sengun, and possibly even Keon Johnson and Giddey. I don't include Barnes in that as I think he's unlikely to be there. Moody seems very solid all around, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know if he has the playmaking as a creator/facilitator/ball handler I would like.
Don't know if your aware or not, but Moody was the primary ball handler most of the time for Arkansas. He played three positions, PG/SG/SF. He was the primary focus of the other teams defense and was doubled almost every time he touched the ball. Put him on the Kings where he would be the third option on offense at best, and he would thrive. Right now, he's a better all around player than Keon Johnson, who can't shoot a lick from the outside. Great athlete though! I like what I've seen out of Giddey, but wonder about his defensive abilities, and I'm going all in on defense in this draft.

I'm really disappointed that Sengun didn't show up at the combine to at least take part in the measurements and skills testing. If he's 6'11" I'm all in, but if he's only 6'9", then he'll suffer the same outcome as Holmes when he goes up against the bigger centers in the league, who simply bullied there way in and scored over the top of Holmes. Hope I'm wrong if we end up with him.

Speaking of centers, Neemias Gueta was very impressive for a man his size, and that dude is man size. He's a good and fluid athlete who can hold his own in the post with anyone. Not much game away from the basket, but he would be an interesting project to develop. He has a soft touch around the basket, and good hands. Good rebounder and shotblocker. I'd certainly use a 2nd rd pick on him. Most impressive player there yesterday in my opinion was Nah'Shon (Bones) Hyland. He did a little bit of everything. Hit the three, attacked the basket, played tough defense, and set up his teammates, and made it all look easy. Quentin Grimes was also very impressive. Both those guys are going to be solid NBA players.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I’m sorry but every time I see this guy’s name I see “Troy Murphy”
Yeah, Murphy is a really good 3 pt shooter. He played his first two years at Rice, and was looked at mostly as a catch and shoot type player. Then he transferred to Virginia, and suddenly he became a totally different player. He became a solid defender (if you don't defend at Virginia, you don't play) and displayed the ability to create his own shot, and shots for others. Basically, he went from a mid to high 2nd rd pick to a mid to low first rd pick. He has great size and length. I believe he shot close to 44% from the three. Solid player!

Don't know if your aware or not, but Moody was the primary ball handler most of the time for Arkansas. He played three positions, PG/SG/SF. He was the primary focus of the other teams defense and was doubled almost every time he touched the ball. Put him on the Kings where he would be the third option on offense at best, and he would thrive. Right now, he's a better all around player than Keon Johnson, who can't shoot a lick from the outside. Great athlete though! I like what I've seen out of Giddey, but wonder about his defensive abilities, and I'm going all in on defense in this draft.

I'm really disappointed that Sengun didn't show up at the combine to at least take part in the measurements and skills testing. If he's 6'11" I'm all in, but if he's only 6'9", then he'll suffer the same outcome as Holmes when he goes up against the bigger centers in the league, who simply bullied there way in and scored over the top of Holmes. Hope I'm wrong if we end up with him.

Speaking of centers, Neemias Gueta was very impressive for a man his size, and that dude is man size. He's a good and fluid athlete who can hold his own in the post with anyone. Not much game away from the basket, but he would be an interesting project to develop. He has a soft touch around the basket, and good hands. Good rebounder and shotblocker. I'd certainly use a 2nd rd pick on him. Most impressive player there yesterday in my opinion was Nah'Shon (Bones) Hyland. He did a little bit of everything. Hit the three, attacked the basket, played tough defense, and set up his teammates, and made it all look easy. Quentin Grimes was also very impressive. Both those guys are going to be solid NBA players.
If the Kings keep things at 9 then they just need to not second guess anything or get "smart". There are plenty of options for needs on the wing and there are no better guarantees about upside at other positions right now or value wise unless one of those top 4 guys drop. Get the need filled and increase your odds of coming out with a win. At this point it's probably a lock that one of Moody, Wagner, Barnes, or Jalen Johnson will be there. They just need to not overthink this thing. Filling that wing/combo F spot with legit talent is hard, the Kings know that first hand and the playoffs are proving it's value. Mikal Bridges is probably going to get super paid because of how valuable that position has become. Teams aren't going to give players like that away moving forward.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, the question about Kessler was whether he could defend on the perimeter, and he did that very well in the scrimmages. Ironically, the one thing he was known for was his shooting, and he didn't shoot the ball particularly well. But I doubt scouts pay much attention to some missed shots in that type of atmosphere. I would say that Kessler helped himself. No one helped himself as much as Quentin Grimes. He looked like a man amongst boys. He did everything well and looked like a lottery pick. Don't remember the exact stats, but it wa something like 7 of 9 from the three and 27 pt's along with 5 or 6 assists and playing very good defense. It'll be interesting to see where he gets drafted.

Based on what I saw from him in the past two days, I wouldn't pass on him in the 2nd rd.

Yeah, the question about Kessler was whether he could defend on the perimeter, and he did that very well in the scrimmages. Ironically, the one thing he was known for was his shooting, and he didn't shoot the ball particularly well. But I doubt scouts pay much attention to some missed shots in that type of atmosphere. I would say that Kessler helped himself. No one helped himself as much as Quentin Grimes. He looked like a man amongst boys. He did everything well and looked like a lottery pick. Don't remember the exact stats, but it wa something like 7 of 9 from the three and 27 pt's along with 5 or 6 assists and playing very good defense. It'll be interesting to see where he gets drafted.

Based on what I saw from him in the past two days, I wouldn't pass on him in the 2nd rd.
I believe when Grimes came out of HS, he was ranked in the top 10 & considered a one & done player. It looks like it simply took him a little longer to find his game.

it’s also Wagner.