WHITESIDE! (Lol, 1yr/min deal)

This is exactly what will happen. After 8 seasons in the NBA, the front offices all over the league will get convinced by pretty counting numbers he puts up in the Kings uniform this season before the deadline.
The league is pretty advanced, so unless Vlade gets another job, I am doubtful. He always has those counting stats and was still picked up for the minimum.

I'm starting to warm up to the Moneyballish idea of bigs as an undervalued asset. Or at least that's how I'm comforting myself.

The league is pretty advanced, so unless Vlade gets another job, I am doubtful. He always has those counting stats and was still picked up for the minimum.

I'm starting to warm up to the Moneyballish idea of bigs as an undervalued asset. Or at least that's how I'm comforting myself.
we are in agreement, everyone already has a fully formed opinion of Whiteside. What he does for half a season with Kings does not matter. But i guess he can be useful in a larger trade as an extra to a team that needs size.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
we are in agreement, everyone already has a fully formed opinion of Whiteside. What he does for half a season with Kings does not matter. But i guess he can be useful in a larger trade as an extra to a team that needs size.
Or to make $$$ match. Or if you need to balance out the number of players going and coming.

There are a lot of reasons why it's not a bad idea to have a cheap rebounding/shot blocking big hanging around on a 1 year contract.

Last edited:
I've talked myself into it, but this is another move I rationalize compared to the fact I've actively wanted to let Bogi go for months now.

The hope is that Whiteside honest to god makes us worse, especially if he and Buddy start grousing, Bagley/Whiteside's lack of spacing and selfish tendencies doom their frontcourt, and he goes block chasing instead of actively helping their defense.
I just don't see Whiteside making us worse. Despite all the grief he gets, he's always been an above average player since he started playing big minutes in Miami. Maybe the defense to some is better when Whiteside is replaced with a better C but he's going to be replacing Giles and Len, both of which he is much better than.

My guess is you have to build a somewhat watchable team and not go full hinkie. By the trade deadline if we are in playoff contention (Lol) keep going. If we are out of it, trade whiteside, cojo, buddy etc to playoff teams for assets and tank / let youngs play
That's exactly the same thing they've done for years now and it's failed to work every single time. It's not going to work this time and it's one of the main reasons why it's nearly impossible for the Kings to find talent.

Or maybe they added a guy on a tiny contract who will put up pretty counting numbers that another team will convince themselves they need at the deadline? I know “lol movable pieces” but it feels like this one actually can be flipped for profit unlike every single one of Vlade’s blunders. Despite everyone’s disdain of Whiteside, he’s been a player on playoff teams for the last how many years? There’s a place for him somewhere, and hopefully steps up for his services.
If we signed him to a 2 year, 20mil contract or something along those lines, then I'd say you could be right because that would have meant that he had value and we had to compete against other teams. But we signed him for the minimum so he's going to have almost no trade value. No team is going to give up a first round pick for a half year rental when they could have just signed him for the minimum to begin with.

Or maybe they added a guy on a tiny contract who will put up pretty counting numbers that another team will convince themselves they need at the deadline? I know “lol movable pieces” but it feels like this one actually can be flipped for profit unlike every single one of Vlade’s blunders. Despite everyone’s disdain of Whiteside, he’s been a player on playoff teams for the last how many years? There’s a place for him somewhere, and hopefully steps up for his services.
Been lurking for a good while. Finally decided to join the fun!

About Whiteside. Dunno if y'all fully appreciate how astonishing the guy's numbers are.

In 30 mpg last year he was:
  • #1 in the league in offensive boards
  • #3 in defensive boards
  • #2 in total boards
  • #1 in blocks
  • #4 in FG%
And he did it while averaging 15.5 ppg and shooting 69% from the line. So he wasn't an ignore-him/hack-a-liability in crunch time. His Player Efficiency Rating (PER) last year was 25; for his career it's 24.3 - same as.... Tim Duncan. I'm serious. OTOH, he's no Tim Duncan. OTOH, not many guys in the league have the talent/skills to put up *empty stats* like those.

To get a guy like that for the NBA equivalent of nothing - when he's not coming off an injury and IS coming off a max contract - is remarkable. The #1 reason, far as we know, is that Whiteside is seen as both unmotivated and undisciplined. He knows this.

Well, he should be about as motivated as he can possibly be right about now. He's a throwback 5 at a time when throwback 5s have never been less valued. He's on a 1-year, minimum contract with a mediocre team. At 31, he's playing for his last big contract.

He has every incentive to ball-out and have his head right, to prove himself to possible suitors, including the Kings. I love the pickup.

Been lurking for a good while. Finally decided to join the fun!

About Whiteside. Dunno if y'all fully appreciate how astonishing the guy's numbers are.

In 30 mpg last year he was:
  • #1 in the league in offensive boards
  • #3 in defensive boards
  • #2 in total boards
  • #1 in blocks
  • #4 in FG%
And he did it while averaging 15.5 ppg and shooting 69% from the line. So he wasn't an ignore-him/hack-a-liability in crunch time. His Player Efficiency Rating (PER) last year was 25; for his career it's 24.3 - same as.... Tim Duncan. I'm serious. OTOH, he's no Tim Duncan. OTOH, not many guys in the league have the talent/skills to put up *empty stats* like those.

To get a guy like that for the NBA equivalent of nothing - when he's not coming off an injury and IS coming off a max contract - is remarkable. The #1 reason, far as we know, is that Whiteside is seen as both unmotivated and undisciplined. He knows this.

Well, he should be about as motivated as he can possibly be right about now. He's a throwback 5 at a time when throwback 5s have never been less valued. He's on a 1-year, minimum contract with a mediocre team. At 31, he's playing for his last big contract.

He has every incentive to ball-out and have his head right, to prove himself to possible suitors, including the Kings. I love the pickup.
Welcome.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If nothing else, it shows Fox and the crew that this may be a soft rebuild or reset if they come out and play better than expected. I do truly believe we are setting a deal involving Holmes or Bjeli. I can’t believe Monte wants to run back Barnes at SF as the go to lineup.

This is exactly what will happen. After 8 seasons in the NBA, the front offices all over the league will get convinced by pretty counting numbers he puts up in the Kings uniform this season before the deadline.
Well, a year and a half ago he was traded for something of value. You could argue nothing of great value coming from the Blazers, but that was partially predicated by his high salary at the time. On a minimum salary, not unreasonable to think someone would want him down the stretch. Isn’t that the type of transaction we see Sam Presti now execute to extreme perfection?

I feel like if he is putting up numbers, down the stretch, if a team has a need due to injury, etc, they'd give up something for him. He can also be used to match salaries or a multi player deal to make rosters match without having to waive players. I don't think he is going to win many if any games for us so it's better than just picking up someone completely worthless.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Jason Jones @mr_jasonjones
The Kings have officially announced Hassan Whiteside’s signing

Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
The Sacramento Kings have officially announced the signing of Hassan Whiteside, the 7-foot shot blocker who agreed to a one-year minimum deal for $2.3 million, per sources. Whiteside will wear No. 20. sacbee.com/sports/article…
WhitesideMania is going to run wild through Sacramento... and then some mid-tier playoff team a few months after that. Just y’all wait.

Before Houston went super crazy small ball, they had cappella at the 5 and was pretty successful. Maybe monte is going that route.
Harden/Gordon/house/tucker/cappella 18/19 team
Don’t also forget that Daryl Morey just picked up Dwight Howard to back up Embid. Sometimes we get caught up in thinking the analytics approach is zero’ed in on one specific type of play that is somehow proven to be the most efficient. However, as others have pointed out, it’s about getting the most value. Value in the team on the floor, assets to trade, etc. Shooting a million threes on average is going to get you the most efficient points, but not if your team has crap three point shooters or your “star” isn’t suited for that style of play. There are tons of smart execs in the nba now, I’m hoping McNair is one of the trendsetters and not following the pack.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I legitimately believe the only reason some people won’t absolutely love Hassan Whiteside is because of his reputation. If literally any other player in the league came to Sacramento and put up the numbers he has we would be hyping the man all the way to the moon.

Imagine if Bagley or Holmes put up 15/13/3 for a week straight, let alone an entire season!

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I legitimately believe the only reason some people won’t absolutely love Hassan Whiteside is because of his reputation. If literally any other player in the league came to Sacramento and put up the numbers he has we would be hyping the man all the way to the moon.

Imagine if Bagley or Holmes put up 15/13/3 for a week straight, let alone an entire season!
Whether on purpose or just because, through no fault of his own, he's an actual person of below average intelligence, I can guarantee that Hassan will probably be the most consistently entertaining Sacramento King this season.

Forget about Whiteside when we knew him before. His game has advanced by a lot. I hope he has something to prove playing with the Kings in the second go around. The Kings have played without physical dominant centers for a long time. Cousins was big laterally but not vertically. Koufas made some contributions with his size. Lin changed the tone of some games with his physicality. Delembert could be dominant at times with rebounding and defense. I think a big mobile center can help the Kings, especially if they want to play small ball at some other positions.