WHITESIDE! (Lol, 1yr/min deal)

I don't want to make too much out of a one year minimum signing, but for those wondering why an analytics-driven Morey protege coming from a Rockets team that was all about playing 5-out small ball would be interested in signing a plodding old school center, I think there's a simple answer.

Moneyball wasn't just about analytics. It was about finding value where others didn't. Traditional, non shooting big men have fallen so out of favor in today's NBA that they are now undervalued IMO.

Whiteside is just a rental but I think it points to what McNair is going to need to do to build a successful Kings team - draft well and see value/opportunity where others don't.

Last edited:
I don't want to make too much out of a one year minimum signing, but for those wondering why an analytics driven Morey protege coming from a Rockets team that was all about playing 5-out small Ball would be interested in signing a plodding old school center, I think there's a simple answer.

Moneyball wasn't just about analytics. It was about finding value where others didn't. Traditional, non shooting big men have fallen so out of favor in today's NBA that they are now undervalued IMO.

Whiteside is just a rental but I think it points to what McNair is going to need to do to build a successful Kings team - draft well and see value/opportunity where others don't.
Nailed it. We're in our feelings. McNair is crunching numbers.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't want to make too much out of a one year minimum signing, but for those wondering why an analytics driven Morey protege coming from a Rockets team that was all about playing 5-out small Ball would be interested in signing a plodding old school center, I think there's a simple answer.

In other words, my decades of being an A’s fan are finally intersecting with my life as a Kings fan. I knew the twenty years of seeing all my favorite players get traded before they actually turned good and all the losses in the postseason would eventually pay off!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Agreed on the value pickup. So far you Can see the route he’s taking. Drafted bpa and the athletic types who can shoot and have defensive potential. Then in FA he’s gone after as far as we can tell Iwundu, Hernangomez and Jones Jr. Going for value and defense and ability to shoot the 3. Whiteside is a straight up value pickup.

If Hield and or Whiteside increases their value he either keeps them or deals them to continue to increase the stockpile of assets. The GM gets it. Those being critical of letting Bogi go without getting assets, I think he’s banking on his ability to get these assets in other ways and he’s doing it now.

Before Houston went super crazy small ball, they had cappella at the 5 and was pretty successful. Maybe monte is going that route.
Harden/Gordon/house/tucker/cappella 18/19 team

dude12

Hall of Famer
I was honestly bummed when we didn’t get the Miami Heat guy for the GM position because they seem to get all of these athletic guys who can shoot the 3 and are hard nosed. Even taking a flyers on Metu and this Q Rose guy follows this path hoping for a small gem. It is exciting to see a GM who is going down this route.

Houston went with Harden/Paul followed by Harden/Westbrook. Two high scoring guards supported by good shooting wings and a rim running big . You can see Monte trying to recreate that here with Fox/ (Haliburton or Hield).

Houston made McLemore work. They knew what they were doing.

Expect Fox to shoot the ball a lot more in a Westbrook type role.

Having a player like Whiteside protects against matchup up problems with big teams when our shots aren't dropping.

What is he trying to accomplish by signing Whiteside to a one year deal? This is the same old carousel of BS the franchise has taken for years now. They're going to hit it hard to compete for that 8th spot, come up short and then do the same old half hearted attempt at tanking that they've done for years now. We'll be picking 10th while the smart teams will be picking top 3. They'll land their stars, we'll land role players and the carousel of mediocrity will go round and round.

The west has improved quite a bit. Were we ever a Whiteside away from making the playoffs? I don't think so. All this signing is going to do is hurt the Kings draft slot next year. This team lacks top end talent and it's difficult to find that talent at the back end of the lottery. But this franchise has zero idea of that concept because they keep trying to square peg a round hole every single year.

He could make some moves that make more sense in the future but I'm taking one foot off the McNair bandwagon at the moment because I think I see where this is going and it's more of the same unless the pure dumb luck of Haliburton falling to us changes the franchise completely.

What is he trying to accomplish by signing Whiteside to a one year deal? This is the same old carousel of BS the franchise has taken for years now. They're going to hit it hard to compete for that 8th spot, come up short and then do the same old half hearted attempt at tanking that they've done for years now. We'll be picking 10th while the smart teams will be picking top 3. They'll land their stars, we'll land role players and the carousel of mediocrity will go round and round.

The west has improved quite a bit. Were we ever a Whiteside away from making the playoffs? I don't think so. All this signing is going to do is hurt the Kings draft slot next year. This team lacks top end talent and it's difficult to find that talent at the back end of the lottery. But this franchise has zero idea of that concept because they keep trying to square peg a round hole every single year.

He could make some moves that make more sense in the future but I'm taking one foot off the McNair bandwagon at the moment because I think I see where this is going and it's more of the same unless the pure dumb luck of Haliburton falling to us changes the franchise completely.
I've talked myself into it, but this is another move I rationalize compared to the fact I've actively wanted to let Bogi go for months now.

The hope is that Whiteside honest to god makes us worse, especially if he and Buddy start grousing, Bagley/Whiteside's lack of spacing and selfish tendencies doom their frontcourt, and he goes block chasing instead of actively helping their defense.

My guess is you have to build a somewhat watchable team and not go full hinkie. By the trade deadline if we are in playoff contention (Lol) keep going. If we are out of it, trade whiteside, cojo, buddy etc to playoff teams for assets and tank / let youngs play

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Or maybe they added a guy on a tiny contract who will put up pretty counting numbers that another team will convince themselves they need at the deadline? I know “lol movable pieces” but it feels like this one actually can be flipped for profit unlike every single one of Vlade’s blunders. Despite everyone’s disdain of Whiteside, he’s been a player on playoff teams for the last how many years? There’s a place for him somewhere, and hopefully steps up for his services.

Or maybe they added a guy on a tiny contract who will put up pretty counting numbers that another team will convince themselves they need at the deadline? I know “lol movable pieces” but it feels like this one actually can be flipped for profit unlike every single one of Vlade’s blunders. Despite everyone’s disdain of Whiteside, he’s been a player on playoff teams for the last how many years? There’s a place for him somewhere, and hopefully steps up for his services.
Of course on a one year it doesn't matter if he's not movable. But it's true - anyone we showcase on a value contract becomes an easy flip at the end of the season. I'm sure that's why some are willing to come here, knowing they might be able to move to a contender down the line.

Do you have ever have any positive comments to add? It seems you come here to spew frustration at any and all moves made by the team you choose to be a fan of.
If you check my old post you can find lots of positive comments as well.
Not a fan of adding Whiteside, not even for free because I humbly think his attitude on and off the court shown many times in the past could be dangerous for a young team. Vlade was right I think with the idea of signing veterans to bring the right culture to the team, guys such as Vince Carter for example. I'm pissed with Vlade cause he missed the easiest decision ever.

The culture thing was fine but I think we all see how easily it crumbles when you underperform expectations, as last year. Bagley getting injured in the first game just set off an avalanche of misfortune.

Or maybe they added a guy on a tiny contract who will put up pretty counting numbers that another team will convince themselves they need at the deadline?.
This is exactly what will happen. After 8 seasons in the NBA, the front offices all over the league will get convinced by pretty counting numbers he puts up in the Kings uniform this season before the deadline.