Free Agency

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We have heard culture for years. Lol

If you are playing 3 guards Haliburton gets plenty of time. If you are saying we can’t win playing 3 guards.... duh. We weren’t winning anyway.
because it’s been an issue for years.
Vlade moved Boogie to ‘fix the culture’ then promptly hired all his best friends without an actual interview process, brought in a couple of Serbia national team players who would have a hard time saying no to a Serbian national hero, assumed that every vet he would vastly overpay to come here would have the same effect he did when he came to Sacramento twenty something years ago.

if the argument is ‘we aren’t winning anyways’, wouldn’t that just be more support for NOT bringing back a guy on a bloated contract loaded with poison pills for a year that would kill any/all financial flexibility?

Teams better than the Kings this year:

for sure better
Clippers
Lakers
Denver
Utah
Dallas
Portland
Pheonix

most likely better
Houston
Golden State
New Orleans
Minnesota
Memphis

for sure worse
OKC.

anyone disagree? This situation is the reality of Vlade’s horrible drafting.

What we have this year doesn’t really matter. What matters is what assets do we have to be better in 18 months.
I'd put Minnnesota and Memphis in a category called "maybe better". JJJ won't be healthy to start the year and they weren't good after Crowder was traded. Min is just as good as the Kings for how to never be successful despite drafting the lottery all the time.

because it’s been an issue for years.
Vlade moved Boogie to ‘fix the culture’ then promptly hired all his best friends without an actual interview process, brought in a couple of Serbia national team players who would have a hard time saying no to a Serbian national hero, assumed that every vet he would vastly overpay to come here would have the same effect he did when he came to Sacramento twenty something years ago.

if the argument is ‘we aren’t winning anyways’, wouldn’t that just be more support for NOT bringing back a guy on a bloated contract loaded with poison pills for a year that would kill any/all financial flexibility?
if it were a bloated contract yes. That contract for Bogi is far from bloated.

Buddy's elite skill = 39%
Bogdan's mediocre skill (apart from the others) = 37%
I agree and am surprised by how many people here see Buddy as a much better shooter than Bogi. By 2 percentage points?
I think because Bogi has and uses all-around skills, there’s a tendency to view him as mediocre and not recognize how good a shooter he is.

I'd put Minnnesota and Memphis in a category called "maybe better". JJJ won't be healthy to start the year and they weren't good after Crowder was traded. Min is just as good as the Kings for how to never be successful despite drafting the lottery all the time.
yeah they were at the bottom of my list for a reason.

Minnesota might be good with their big 3. We shall see.

Buddy will make a few million more but he's a superior player and his skills should be used in a much more efficient way with Haliburton handling the ball. (Walton willing)

Bogdan's skills overlap with Haliburton's, which makes him less valuable to us. That's a lot of money to pay to a ball handler that won't get to handle the ball as much. Now you're paying $18mil for a player who doesn't get to utilize one of his plus skills very often and is only an average to slightly above average shooter. Tack on his slightly below average defense and I don't see the point in keeping him unless it's strictly to trade him later.
Buddy was coming off a season Bogi could only ever dream of signing that contract and it depletes. After last year people now people are saying Buddy's contact is bad; he makes the same amount as Bogi in the final year of his deal.

This is an albatross for us.

Ok going to talk logically, well try to size everything up

The new Bogi contract with the kicker is going to end up being a net negative as far as value is concerned around the league. Sure you can take worse salary back and try to sell him later, but do we really want to invest in him?

With both Buddy & Bogi on the team together, each of them are less valuable as far as trade assets. They simply get in each others way sometimes.

We are on the hook for a large Buddy & Barnes contract all ready.

We are not going to make the playoffs next season, may as well develop.

I question at this new salary and kicker if he's even an asset after that.

Think we should let him go, sucks we can't do a S&T, oh well. Signing him is an all in move, and for what reward are we going to gamble for? Not very much.

I agree and am surprised by how many people here see Buddy as a much better shooter than Bogi. By 2 percentage points?
I think because Bogi has and uses all-around skills, there’s a tendency to view him as mediocre and not recognize how good a shooter he is.
In the 2.3 seasons before that, Hield shot just under 43%. That's enough of a sample size that I'm comfortable blaming Walton's system for his drop last season.

If you have a deal lined up for Hield, I'm fine eating Bogi for at least a year and seeing how Fox/Bogi/Hali works as a trio. But I think the biggest mistake we could do is have all 3 back and Haliburton gets squeezed out of consistent playing time next season.

Healthy Bagley, Haliburton, Woodard, DQJ should be the priority next season. Start developing the young guys and seeing what direction we need to go in for the future. We already know what Fox/Bogi/Buddy/Barnes/Holmes/Bjelica is.... not a playoff team. Wasting more time running that out there doesn't make sense.
Great post, but you’re not appreciating the value of Holmes. Yes, he’d be more valuable if he had a 3-Pt shot. But he may have been our biggest difference maker last year, except foe those few times when Fox played out of his mind.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Ok going to talk logically, well try to size everything up

The new Bogi contract with the kicker is going to end up being a net negative as far as value is concerned around the league. Sure you can take worse salary back and try to sell him later, but do we really want to invest in him?

With both Buddy & Bogi on the team together, each of them are less valuable as far as trade assets. They simply get in each others way sometimes.

We are on the hook for a large Buddy & Barnes contract all ready.

We are not going to make the playoffs next season, may as well develop.

I question at this new salary and kicker if he's even an asset after that.

Think we should let him go, sucks we can't do a S&T, oh well. Signing him is an all in move, and for what reward are we going to gamble for? Not very much.
Well said.....and on top of that, he takes away playing time from Hali AND Woodard.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
the all-around skills of being bad at defense, being a moderate passer who holds the ball too long, and among the streakiest players I’ve ever seen?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Its nice to cherry pick Buddy’s worst shooting year since his rookie season. He shot just about 43% from three his previous two in Sac.

Just doesn't make any sense to me to have Buddy and Bogi on the team next year. You're not going to compete running it back, you've lost Bazemore, Giles and probably Len at this point. All you're doing is burying DQJ, Hali and Woodard on the bench for our core from last year to be worse, wasting a year of playing time for the young guys.
Not to mention you go from the bottom of the West to around the 11th-12th seed.

there are more than a few here pissed we haven’t been to the playoffs in years. So instead of spreading the blame around they choose their scapegoat.

Great post, but you’re not appreciating the value of Holmes. Yes, he’d be more valuable if he had a 3-Pt shot. But he may have been our biggest difference maker last year, except foe those few times when Fox played out of his mind.
Oh I love Holmes. I said all last year, he was our best player and it wasn't particularly close. But the issue is, especially we resign Bogi, that it will be tough to keep him long-term because we don't have his full bird rights. Can only offer+120% (I think) of his salary if we're over the cap, which ends up being like a 8 mil/season deal or something in that range. So if we're going to lose him, better to get value while he's a tradable asset (what we should have done with Bogi last season, but... Vlade.)