REPORT: Bogdan Bogdanovic in S&T to Bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a couple of nice videos for DiVincenzo. Sounds like a good, young, two way player, looks like he could develop into a starting SG. :)

I'm interested to see if McNair sees DD as a potential starting SG and chooses to move Buddy.

I'm seeing why so many are excited about the fit DV brings. High defensive IQ, relentless second attempt effort, and a strong work ethic will really compliment what we have so far. And he's only going to get better.

Doesn't look like filler to me. An actual 4 that can shoot?
Of course players can look amazing in highlight vids but . . .
He gets the 3pt shot off pretty quick.
He makes adjustments around the rim; dunk after pumping the ball at 5:45 is impressive.
He seems pretty mobile and springy and goes after misses. Moves without the ball. He played over 18 mins a game in 2018, so he appears to have some skill.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Of course players can look amazing in highlight vids but . . .
He gets the 3pt shot off pretty quick.
He makes adjustments around the rim; dunk after pumping the ball at 5:45 is impressive.
He seems pretty mobile and springy and goes after misses. Moves without the ball. He played over 18 mins a game in 2018, so he appears to have some skill.
Kelly Olynik comp on the quick 3 point release although I may be influenced by the man bun hair.

On The Mismatch podcast today, Kevin O’Connor said Atlanta was looking give Bogi an offer sheet that the Kings may not have wanted to match, so while he would have liked the Kings to get more for Bogi, they didn’t have much leverage, and the deal was a much better alternative to losing him for nothing or matching an expensive offer sheet.

O’Connor and Chris Vernon (who is almost always anti-tank) also both agreed that 20-21 is “a good year to suck.”

Last edited:
On The Mismatch podcast today, Kevin O’Connor said Atlanta was looking give Bogi an offer sheet that the Kings may not have wanted to match, so while he would have liked the Kings to get more for Bogi, they didn’t have much leverage, and the deal was a much better alternative to losing him for nothing or matching an expensive offer sheet.

O’Connor and Chris Vernon (who is almost always anti-tank) also both agreed that 20-21 is “a good year to suck.”
In a vacuum the deal looks pretty good. I think it could also end up looking a lot better if we forced Atlanta's hand by moving Bogi into what we get for Buddy (if he's gone)? Milwaukee looked like they overpaid bigtime for Jrue but then when paired with the Bogi deal they look like they may have just set themselves up as the team to beat in the East. Either way, we just took Bogi off the market which seemingly would simultaneously raise Buddy's price no matter who is buying?

One of my (probably unfounded) concerns is that this Donte acquisition has actually made the Kings guard situation much more functional (especially assuming a CoJo trade happens at some point) and that a Fox/Buddy/Donte backcourt rotation with Vassell or Okoro on the wings as our pick with Barnes and Holmes ends up making us better enough to pull us out of the top of the draft next year but not good enough to get anywhere long term.

You’re right that this is probably only step one in McNair’s rebuild but the image of De’Aaron turning into an all-star and Buddy having another year like two years ago to push the Kings into fun inconsequentiality is hard to shake.
Personally, that's all i can think about. Not sure tanking and losing game after game is the culture we need to be cementing with a new guy in the front office and i'll never understand why that's the goal with a young team. No thanks

Mostly it is addition by subtraction for the Kings. DiVincenzo I heard is the centerpiece of the trade, he looks defensively fundamentally sound, a strong help defender and not foul prone which are skills the Kings have perpetually lacked for many years.

It's not that Bogi is useless, but I've never been a big fan of his, his reputation as a shooter is greater than what he's actually shown on the court. I was mostly concerned that the Kings would throw big money his way, that would have been a surefire way to clog our cap with mediocre talent for years to come.

No way was a Bogi Buddy combo on the roster going to even come close to working out. As much as Buddy irks me I would rather have him on the court and try to make it work out with him. He's the defending 3 point challenge champ, and King with most 3 pointers in a single season, and that counts for something. Nowhere near a flashy trade, but a clever one from the legitimate new FO I like it.

Last edited:
Personally, that's all i can think about. Not sure tanking and losing game after game is the culture we need to be cementing with a new guy in the front office and i'll never understand why that's the goal with a young team. No thanks

This team is going to be losing game after game regardless of what moves we make. We are one of the worst teams in the west barring a big surprise and probably a bottom 7 team overall going into next year. The only issue is whether we put ourselves into a position to get a top 3 pick, or miss out on the elite prospects and wind up round 8, spinning our wheels and extending the irrelevance.

We are in no man's land at the moment. What McNair needs to do, and it will become clear over the next couple of weeks if that is his plan, is to try rebuild quickly while we can (one or two years), which would allow Fox to be included in our timeline (accumulate picks/young assets). If we spin our wheels for the next two or three years by being just good enough to not make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get an elite prospect, then we just end up in the same cycle and will lose Fox anyway. Rinse, repeat.

Trade Buddy for draft capital and/or prospects, trade Belly (and Holmes, Barnes if necessary/possible) at the deadline for the same. Top 3 pick next year to go with Fox/Bagley/DiVincenzo and whatever other prospects and kids we can get. All on the same timeline and an upward trajectory.

I understand tanking, but replacing Bogi with Donte is not it. If the Kings trade Buddy and Barnes for assets/draft pick, then it's probably a tank. Otherwise, it's retooling and finding complimentary players.

The danger of tanking is you could lose Fox's commitment to the team. I've probably said it before, but the biggest draw for a GM to want the job here was because there were positive situations in place already that weren't being utilized by Vlade and crew. It doesn't require a full strip down.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I don't think any of this is going to help Milwaukee. Sure they brought in a quality backcourt pairing but they lost 4 rotation players (Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, Ersan Ilyasova and Donte DiVenzo) to do it plus three first round picks and two pick swaps? That ultimately feels like a loss to me. They're still capped out and now they have no trade assets for the foreseeable future. Does anyone think Holiday/Bogdanovic/Middleton/Antetokounmpo/Lopez is a championship team? Where do they go if they get bounced out of the playoffs early again next season?

I think it's a great deal for us though. DiVincenzo is a nice replacement for Bogdanovic at a much more reasonable price. Ilyasova is both a proven commodity you can slot into your rotation somewhere to stretch the floor and a potential trade chip expiring contract. I don't know anything about DJ Wilson but an end of the bench big who played his HS ball in Sacramento is easy to root for. This is a good first move for McNair. We should have a pretty good idea by the end of the day tomorrow what this team will look like next season. Which is just over a month away now? We just leapfrogged right over the whole TDOS thing this year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I understand tanking, but replacing Bogi with Donte is not it. If the Kings trade Buddy and Barnes for assets/draft pick, then it's probably a tank. Otherwise, it's retooling and finding complimentary players.

The danger of tanking is you could lose Fox's commitment to the team. I've probably said it before, but the biggest draw for a GM to want the job here was because there were positive situations in place already that weren't being utilized by Vlade and crew. It doesn't require a full strip down.
I think if we go full Hinkie and tank for 4-5 years or whatever it’s likely Fox bails, but if we do a quick 1 year tank job and surround Fox + stud rookie with the right kind of vets this thing can get turned around in two off seasons.

Small Market teams like Sac NEED to hit on the draft, there’s no other way. Hopefully the new guy is better at judging young talent then Vlade, lord knows he can’t be worse.

Bogdan would leave one way or the other so it’s good that we at least got something in return. I will nvee forget his buzzer beater against LA and a few other games where we showed glimps of what kind of player he could possibly be in this league.

I hoped Buddy or Barnes would be a part of the trade so we could actually get a higer caliber player in return but wasn’t the case.

Nothing against Donte and the other guys but we are not a better team after this trade and we could argue that Kings are now weaker compared to 12 months ago. Donte is nothing more than a solid, young role player and he will make no difference on this team.

Still hoping we could land some big name this off season and shoot for the playoffs.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We still have Luke Walton everybody. I've finally come around to the idea that tanking is not worth it and we'd be better off just putting the best team we can on the floor and building one piece at a time into a contender but if you're of the mind that we need to be bad next year to score a difference maker in the draft, then Mr. Walton is your ace in the hole.

I think if we go full Hinkie and tank for 4-5 years or whatever it’s likely Fox bails, but if we do a quick 1 year tank job and surround Fox + stud rookie with the right kind of vets this thing can get turned around in two off seasons.

Small Market teams like Sac NEED to hit on the draft, there’s no other way. Hopefully the new guy is better at judging young talent then Vlade, lord knows he can’t be worse.
And then they whiff on draft.

I think this is a good get for the Kings. McNair has to clean up Vlade's mess. Part of that mess was created by not trading Bogi or Buddy at the deadline last year. Vlade foolishly was going to try to keep both, but that would not have moved this team forward.

Like it was said previously, switching Bogi for Donte actually makes the team better from a fit perspective.
Hopefully he realizes that Vlade didn't do all that bad. And so far, the only clear Vlade mess that needed cleaning up (Walton) he held onto. So, we shall see how that works out.

Vlade was foolishly going to end up in the same spot and probably even worse with Bogdan. Clearly he didn't want to be here. Now they have to try and create some semblance of goodwill with whoever sticks this out. Luke time to live up to that Walton name.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bogdan's departure was cemented when he declined that contract extension and at the very least McNair managed to get a young player in return who has defensive capabilities and hopefully can play a productive role in what the Kings want to do, which is up tempo basketball. I just hope Donte is more consistent than Bogdanovic was for the Kings and I'm also happy that Bogdan gets an opportunity to play for a winner, let's see what he's truly made of.

gunks

Hall of Famer
And then they whiff on draft.
Well, Vlade certainly did. I’d like to see what our new FO does with a high pick in a stacked draft, at least next summer.

I totally understand rebuild/tank fatigue though. And if the people in charge want to try to put together a contender without relying on a top lock in the draft, I’d hope for the best.

And as hrdboild mentioned above, we still have Luke... So we could be in for tank year no matter what we do roster wise!

I’d mostly come around on this trade between last night and today, and this info certainly helps feel even better. I’ll check out the ep in a bit (thanks for calling it out!) but that rings true. It was a huge letdown seeing Milwaukee ship out those picks just before but, especially looking into Donte more, he is a good acquisition. He did have some bad moments in the playoffs but that’s unfair to hold against a 2nd year player getting his first postseason minutes.

As it relates to the draft - these are the kind of trades you make so you can improve *without* relying on good drafting alone. He was #17 2 years ago, and is a draft hit insofar as he looks like he *could* end up being a good reliable starter, especially with the defense. I think you value that as much as a decent lotto pick given that a pick in the 5-10 range pretty much always carries a good amount of busto risk. There’s a lot less risk once you’ve seen the guy in the league for 2 years.

It sucks that we couldn’t get more for Bogi, but while probably not a home run this feels more like a solid first move. We’ve got a *long* road to walk and this is at least a small step in the right direction.

Considering that Bogi is a bench player on a good team, what did people think the Kings could actually get for him?

Think of it this way. If Milwaukee was trading Bogi to the Kings, would we be willing to give up 1st round draft picks for him? Pretty sure I wouldn't be on board with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.