REPORT: Bogdan Bogdanovic in S&T to Bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even still; you're relying on so, so many things to go right for you to maybe make the playoffs, much less contend. The West is just too difficult to get through right now. The worst teams (Spurs) still have LMA and Derozan for the time being with a bunch of decent young talent. The Wolves have one of the youngest core in the NBA; year 2 of KAT-DLO and a #1 pick. Portland just got RoCo and will be healthy with Nurk and Collins back. Suns just got Cp3 after a strong finish. Year 2 for Zion/Ingram/Lonzo and they still got really solid guards in return for Jrue in Bledsoe and Hill. OKC still a pile of good players and potential leap from SGA into all-star consideration.

All the bottom feeders and there isn't a team I could confidently say we are better than talent wise.
You just made the a great argument for tanking this season, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea (or rather the realization that the Kings may choose to go that direction). I can't wait for all the supermax jokes for DJ Wilson after he posts 20 and 10 in garbage time of a blowout

Im hoping McNair’s analytics are money and DD keeps improving to the point of being a break out player. If that happens then potentially we could win this deal. Bogi at $15M would not have been good. Defensively, we just got better by a country mile.
I like Bogi and Buddy, but I like defense more.
Fox, DiVincenzo, Jeffries, Barnes and Holmes may become the best defensive unit the Kings have ever put on the floor at one time (although I'm still not sure if Barnes is a +/-). Not sure this group could get us into the playoffs, but for those of us that like defense, there's some upside here.

maybe this was another way of them showing confidence in Buddy. One rough season shouldn't give him a bad rep IMO
Yeah, or at least give him another season to increase his value (the declining contract should help there, too). If Monte’s mantra is “flexibility,” that doesn’t necessarily mean dealing all the veterans at once.

I think it's a pretty solid trade. DDV can play defense, play off ball and tempo, and can shoot. DJ Wilson also has a good looking shot as a stretch 4 who can also be a lob guy. Solid trade.

I like Bogi and Buddy, but I like defense more.
Fox, DiVincenzo, Jeffries, Barnes and Holmes may become the best defensive unit the Kings have ever put on the floor at one time (although I'm still not sure if Barnes is a +/-). Not sure this group could get us into the playoffs, but for those of us that like defense, there's some upside here.
I think that's like a 24 win team at best. We all like defense but the rules in the NBA don't allow players to defend, so defense isn't nearly as important as it used to be. If you completely skew your team to be good at something the NBA doesn't allow much of anymore, you aren't going to win very many games.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think that's like a 24 win team at best. We all like defense but the rules in the NBA don't allow players to defend, so defense isn't nearly as important as it used to be. If you completely skew your team to be good at something the NBA doesn't allow much of anymore, you aren't going to win very many games.
Not sure this is completely accurate but also not really inaccurate. Defense is important but you Can’t just put out guys like Cojo especially at the point and think you will be ok.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just made the a great argument for tanking this season, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea (or rather the realization that the Kings may choose to go that direction). I can't wait for all the supermax jokes for DJ Wilson after he posts 20 and 10 in garbage time of a blowout
It will be interesting to see what the Kings do in the draft and likely a good indication of whether the plan is to retool or tank.

That's only if we don't see additional trades between now and then.

Last edited:
I think this is a good get for the Kings. McNair has to clean up Vlade's mess. Part of that mess was created by not trading Bogi or Buddy at the deadline last year. Vlade foolishly was going to try to keep both, but that would not have moved this team forward.

Like it was said previously, switching Bogi for Donte actually makes the team better from a fit perspective.

What do you think Bogie's WAR is? I honestly don't think he moves the needle more than a game.

Read a good description of the trade, basically the Bucks are getting the finished product of DD in Bogi. We are getting the earlier version.
While I don’t think it’s completely accurate because of the defensive abilities of each guy, DD is much younger.

Im hoping we also trade off Bjelica and Cojo to get younger and more athletic.
the defensive trade off is a major plus, that I am pleased with

I think this is a good get for the Kings. McNair has to clean up Vlade's mess. Part of that mess was created by not trading Bogi or Buddy at the deadline last year. Vlade foolishly was going to try to keep both, but that would not have moved this team forward.

Like it was said previously, switching Bogi for Donte actually makes the team better from a fit perspective.
The mistake was signing Buddy. Should of let him stay a rfa.

Really nothing to dislike about the trade. I like Bogdan but didn’t really see the point in re-signing him. Milwaukee was the ideal trading partner as they couldn’t price the Kings out like an Atlanta could to avoid having to give anything up. I’m not too worried about not getting a pick from Milwaukee. We got a good young player who can potentially be better than Bogdan in time.

For what it’s worth, John Hollinger has a new metric called “BORG,” and in his review of the trade on the Athletic, he says it already rates DDV higher than Bogi:

https://theathletic.com/2202893/202...ahead-still-bumpy/?source=user_shared_article
I wish I could see the metrics behind it, but this trade is a win when you figure the team is at least no further away from contending, but still got younger. They even got more nba postseason experience.

This is a perfect fit for Bogi too, and he can get some national recognition.

Is Bogi talented? Yes

Did he have some great international and olympic games where he "took over" games? Yes.

On paper did he look good on the Kings? Yes because he is a 2-guard who can handle, pass, shoot and let Fox play off the ball.

In actual games did Bogi "fit?" No because him and Buddy could not play together.

What was Bogi best at in a Kings uni? Being consistently inconsistent.

I really like Bogi, I honestly thought he would have had a greater impact on this team. He had every opportunity to succeed here, but it's time to look forward. DD is a baller and I personally like what grit and hustle can do. I think DD can be a much better fit and play alongside Fox or Buddy. I am frankly SO tired of watching CoJo try to defend the opposition's best player, and even with DD we still need some wings that can defend.

We do not need Bogi at 14-16 Million on our salary cap, period.

Now to move Buddy . . .

To Lpkingsfan’s point from the athletic

“Yet this is also a tremendous move by the Kings to acquire DiVincenzo, and for me a far better outcome than just paying Bogdanovic to be the fourth-best player on a blah team. DiVincenzo is exactly the type of young, productive wing player they should be looking to nab.”

and my personal fav

“But the Kings did not get Kangz’d here; actually, this is a tremendous get for them.”

dude12

Hall of Famer
A few years ago when our core was younger, we were Built to run. And then Vlade made the wrong decision to add slow plodding vets to the few who were already here like Bjelica. Fox is built to run. Bagley and Holmes are built to run. Hield is at his best on the spot up FB 3. Replacing Bogi with DD continues the direction I hope McNair is going to go. Heck, unless I’m mistaken, even Wilson may fit this profile but I’m not sure. Just keep accumulating or increasing our athleticism and speed please.

DiVincenzo is one of those guys that flies under the radar but is actually a very impactful player. Below is a comparison of their advanced impact stats last year:

1605635343040.png

This indicates that we got...
  • The SG who is more impactful on the court
  • The SG who is 4.5 years younger
  • The SG who has 2 more years on his rookie deal at ~$3.85 mil per year vs. paying $15 mil+ per year

EDIT: The salary savings are important and something many here may overlook. The cap was projected to go up to $115 mil this year and $125 mil the following year. It's now been recently changed to the following projections:

• 2020-21: $109.1 mil
  • 2021-22: $112.0 mil
  • 2022-23: $115.7 mil
  • 2023-24: $119.2 mil

Teams are going to have to keep a clean sheet and maneuver these significant salary cap changes. This trade makes that easier for us. Below is where our cap sheet sits (just assuming our 2nd round picks, Jeffries, and Guy get minimal 2nd round deals for projection purposes):

1605638357584.png
RED = Non-Guaranteed
PURPLE = Team Option
BLUE = Player Option
GREEN = Qualifying Offer

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’d be curious to see any mixtapes on DJ Wilson.....if they even exist. Is he a guy that take a step forward in production if he gets time or is he just a filler to get the deal done?

I’d be curious to see any mixtapes on DJ Wilson.....if they even exist. Is he a guy that take a step forward in production if he gets time or is he just a filler to get the deal done?
He is filler. He's young, so who knows, but I wouldn't be getting very excited. Not a very productive college player despite playing 3 years. Seems to have some defensive versatility. Likely bench fodder

Status
Not open for further replies.