Coronavirus

gunks

Hall of Famer
Wowza!

Seems like an overreaction now, but it'll probably look like the right move in a few weeks when our cases here in the US are numbering in the 10s of thousands.

Read up on what's going on in Italy if you're curious about what we're in for here. We're about a week or two away from that craziness.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This reaction by the NBA could cause panic. If a couple of players getting sick cancels a game, why would not a couple of sick people at work cause their entire workplace to cancel?
It damn well should if someone tested positive for the virus.

A problem in the states that many seem wholly unaware of is we're testing at a rate of 7 people per 1M while S Korea tested at a rate of 1,100 per 1M. In other words, the number infected is likely far, far higher than result show since we're barely testing anyone.

Wowza!

Seems like an overreaction now, but it'll probably look like the right move in a few weeks when our cases here in the US are numbering in the 10s of thousands.

Read up on what's going on in Italy if you're curious about what we're in for here. We're about a week or two away from that craziness.

Thank God the death rate is super low. I think it's even lower than what they are saying. Why do I say that? Because I believe that there are already thousands of cases since a high percentage of people who get the virus, don't even know they have it.

They can't accurately calculate a fatality rate unless they take in everyone that has the virus. All they go by is "confirmed cases" and alot of those cases are those who have moderate symptoms.

They were saying something like Italty not having the amount of ventilators that other countries have, which explains the high death rate there. Other country death rates are only at 1%ish

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good.

As someone who has a sister in law living under militarized quarantine in Italy, not an overreaction at all.
Then I guess when anybody has flu-like symptoms at your workplace, you're in favor of sending everybody home? Indefinitely? The idea is to isolate the people sick with the virus, not isolate the entire society who don't have the virus. Good bye America if that happens.

Then I guess when anybody has flu-like symptoms at your workplace, you're in favor of sending everybody home? Indefinitely? The idea is to isolate the people sick with the virus, not isolate the entire society who don't have the virus. Good bye America if that happens.
Well, goodbye to those over 70 and those who have bad health problems. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point...

Possibly more than one player tested positive reportedly. Gobert and another Utah Jazz player or coach. All NBA games suspended indefinitely after tonight's - Kings-Pels last game on schedule this evening. At least March Madness will start in few days with NO FANS in attendance:confused:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It damn well should if someone tested positive for the virus.

A problem in the states that many seem wholly unaware of is we're testing at a rate of 7 people per 1M while S Korea tested at a rate of 1,100 per 1M. In other words, the number infected is likely far, far higher than result show since we're barely testing anyone.
The key word in your post is "IF." There is no IF here. There are only flu-like symptoms. So, like I said before, if somebody has flu like symptoms at your work, do you send everybody home? INDEFINITELY? That is what the NBA just did.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Here's some perspective if you only watch American MSM.

The Italian soccer league Serie A has been playing closed door games with no fans for weeks. Less than two weeks ago fewer than 500 people nation wide tested positive.

Fast forward 11 days and 10K+ are infected, 100+ dying per day. Almost 200 people died today. 2,300 new cases today alone. Despite closed door games multiple players across multiple teams have tested positive. And there's been city wide blockades for days.

My sister in law is barricaded within her apartment by armed guards, can't leave until April 14 at the earliest. For any reason.

Statistically we're about 10 days behind Italy, with a far larger population and far less testing.

It's about damn time someone got on the front foot of this thing in the US.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, goodbye to those over 70 and those who have bad health problems. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point...
That's another thing that doesn't square. As you stated, the age group that has the mortality rate is the elderly, especially those with medical conditions, not incredibly fit athletic people in their 20s or early 30s. So again, for the NBA to say that they are suspending a season - a season in which there will be no fans in the arena - makes no sense.

Normally I'm against posting links, but if anyone wanted to follow the live Coronia Virus Total Counts/Deaths , go to:

It updates constantly, pretty scary.............

That's another thing that doesn't square. As you stated, the age group that has the mortality rate is the elderly, especially those with medical conditions, not incredibly fit athletic people in their 20s or early 30s. So again, for the NBA to say that they are suspending a season - a season in which there will be no fans in the arena - makes no sense.
Not sure, but I don't think I'd want to watch games on TV with no fans in the arena. That would be incredibly boring and very depressing.......

Kingster

Hall of Famer

The Italian soccer league Serie A has been playing closed door games with no fans for weeks. Less than two weeks ago fewer than 500 people nation wide tested positive.

Fast forward 11 days and 10K+ are infected, 100+ dying per day. Almost 200 people died today. 2,300 new cases today alone. Despite closed door games multiple players across multiple teams have tested positive. And there's been city wide blockades for days.

My sister in law is barricaded within her apartment by armed guards, can't leave until April 14 at the earliest. For any reason.

Statistically we're about 10 days behind Italy, with a far larger population and far less testing.

We should be on top of it, but not with everybody staying home from work and school and isolating in a cave somewhere. That kind of panic move could cause all kinds of bad consequences that could be far worse than washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough, cleaning surfaces with bleach, etc. Keep in mind, the mortality rate from this virus is 1%. One percent. And the 1% is found in the elderly population and those with medical conditions.

This is insane. I have few words but i can’t lie, I’m a little upset about this.

They couldn’t just screen everyone and play in empty arenas? And to see Rudy Gobert jokingly rub his hands all over the press table two days ago ... wow. He needs to be banned from the ****** NBA

This is insane. I have few words but i can’t lie, I’m a little upset about this.

They couldn’t just screen everyone and play in empty arenas? And to see Rudy Gobert jokingly rub his hands all over the press table two days ago ... wow. He needs to be banned from the ****** NBA
Gobert is so stupid for doing that.

Well we just shut down travel for Europe with the UK being the exception.

I don't think it will hit 1 million cases in the US however. I think the awareness is too strong now. Quarantines will begin happening all over the place. I think that will keep the number below 1 million. The only exception would be if it's currently already at 500K or something, but they just don't know it......

If the number of those infected turned out to be much higher than what they are saying, that would be a good thing actually as that would mean the death rate is actually much less than 3% But it's too early to say.

gunks

Hall of Famer
But these fit healthy people can catch it, and once you have it, you're spreading it like crazy. You're contagious before showing symptoms, you're contagious for weeks after recovery. It's airborne, it can live on surfaces for days.

And if you're an NBA player, you're traveling all over the country. Like constantly. And coming into contact with other players who are traveling the country.

It's a bummer for us fans, but a smart move.

Maybe they'll start the games again in a couple of weeks, after the outbreak is raging enough for it to not make a difference. Give us something to do while we stay home with our TP stockpiles.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not sure, but I don't think I'd want to watch games on TV with no fans in the arena. That would be incredibly boring and very depressing.......
:) Point taken. Maybe the NBA is doing this entirely from some economic motivation. It doesn't make sense to me on a medical basis, however. It would be nice if the NBA could have provided some reasoning behind this drastic action, rather than just drop the mike and walk away.

We should be on top of it, but not with everybody staying home from work and school and isolating in a cave somewhere. That kind of panic move could cause all kinds of bad consequences that could be far worse than washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough, cleaning surfaces with bleach, etc. Keep in mind, the mortality rate from this virus is 1%. One percent. And the 1% is found in the elderly population and those with medical conditions.
Mortality rate is not only thing you look at. You also need to look at what the virus could do to your body. Some patients recovered from the virus but their lung was damaged by it.

I’m in the, this sucks but not an overreaction camp. This virus has an exponential grow rate, highly contagious, no immunity to it yet and and no vaccine in site. It’s like that math problem as a kid we learned, on day 1 if you have a penny and it doubles everyday for a month how much do you have after 30 days and it’s like $11 million. After day 10 it’s only $5 which is about where we are at with the virus so just based off reported numbers it’s not that impressive.

When you look at Italy who is 2 weeks ahead of us with this didn’t have any panic 2 weeks ago and no they’ve closed the county including restaurants and hair salons and are having to triage people and potentially have to make a decision to let some people die.

It's likely that every one of us will get the virus in the next couple of years, it is novel, nobody has an immunity. Banning large gatherings is to try and make it so that we don't all get the virus in the same month; which would overwhelm local hospitals.

We have 2 hospital beds per 1000 people in California.
If 1 percent of COVID-19 victims require hospitalization...
when 50% of people get sick, that's 500 people from the thousand
1% of that is 5 people.
2 people get beds, so 3 out of 5 of people those people... die I suppose.
Lets not forget that those hospital beds can't be used to treat other urgent care items.

---
Our capacity to treat the symptoms of the disease is limited. Current efforts on social distancing are based on slowing down the disease spread so that our health system has a chance to keep up.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...arade-gave-thousands-onlookers-flu-180970372/
https://www.influenzaarchive.org/cities/city-stlouis.html#

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
But these fit healthy people can catch it, and once you have it, you're spreading it like crazy. You're contagious before showing symptoms, you're contagious for weeks after recovery. It's airborne, it can live on surfaces for days.

And if you're an NBA player, you're traveling all over the country. Like constantly. And coming into contact with other players who are traveling the country.

Maybe they'll start the games again in a couple of weeks, after the outbreak is raging enough for it to not make a difference. Give us something to do while we stay home with our TP stockpiles.
If that's the model for this country, then everybody should not go to work, not go to school, not go to the store, go to a cave in the mountains and hibernate indefinitely. Makes no sense.

Right, which is why it makes no sense to think that there are only 1,300 cases here in the USA. I think there are probably around 25K+ cases with a 1/2 percent fatality rate...

***THE ABOVE IS ONLY MY OPINION, I'M NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR OR EDUCATED IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. ***

So far this year, the United States has had >280000 hospitalisations and 16,000 deaths due to influenza. But influenza is not novel so sports were not cancelled. I appreciate it is a difficult situation to manage but maintain that, even before the NBA suspended the season, this is an overreaction.