Coronavirus

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Even with no fans, there are players, there are staff. While, basketball is a close-contact ball games. All the players could easily get infected.
AGAIN, if everybody does what the NBA is doing then everybody needs to go to their cave, preferably in the Yukon, and stay there indefinitely. If you "think" that you "might" have been "remotely" in the "proximity" of someone who "might" have corona, then you and everybody you work with and go to school with and live with should isolate in their separate caves, according to the NBA.

News is that some people actually get it again!
well one doctor was quoted as saying there was about a 14% chance of getting it twice, but it's just considered more of a relapse, kinda like when you get a cold twice within a month or so....

Also, just because one is old, doesn't mean they are going to die, per doctor Layne A. Hermansen, DO,

" Initial reports show around an 8% mortality rate for those above 70 and 14% mortality rate for those older than 80. "

So basically approx 8% of those above 70 and 14% of those above 80 end up passing away....

AGAIN, if everybody does what the NBA is doing then everybody needs to go to their cave, preferably in the Yukon, and stay there indefinitely. If you "think" that you "might" have been "remotely" in the "proximity" of someone who "might" have corona, then you and everybody you work with and go to school with and live with should isolate in their separate caves, according to the NBA.
Your comments are going to age super well. :D

There are also concerns that in some population groups it may carry lifelong ill effects. Of course being a new virus nobody knows anything for sure.

Swell.

If that's the model for this country, then everybody should not go to work, not go to school, not go to the store, go to a cave in the mountains and hibernate indefinitely. Makes no sense.
But when kids dont go to school. guess what? they go the mall they go to the park they play games together. Point is they still gather.

I totally understand your point. But the people related to NBA, the players, they all got family and friends. How could we ask them to play, putting them at risk?

Right, which is why it makes no sense to think that there are only 1,300 cases here in the USA. I think there are probably around 25K+ cases with a 1/2 percent fatality rate...

***THE ABOVE IS ONLY MY OPINION, I'M NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR OR EDUCATED IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. ***
And guess what else? People have had it since last year, got over it and lived their life w/o ever knowing they had it.

If you look at the countries hit hard before the US (China, s Korea, Iran, Italy) then that might be a reality in the next 2-3 weeks for large parts of the country.

I'm not here to cause trouble or debate but I would be suspicious for now about any news that the crises is over in China. There is a lot of conflicting information and China has a lot to lose from all this. A small example, here in Australia business in Chinese restaurants is down in some cases 60-80 percent.
All I know for sure is that I'm glad my days as a health care worker are over.
Well I don't doubt there's some underreporting, but you also have to remember that they locked down Wuhan/Hubei early on, and the cases are largely concentrated there.

Why are you throwing so much hyperbole into this?

Reports are Gobert has been around three NBA teams during the incubation period. That's players, coaches, media personnel and others surrounding the team. 50+ people not including casual encounters. Multiply that by all those people's encounters...

Many don't show symptoms for 2 weeks. So we're already looking at numerous infections inside and out of the NBA from Gobert alone. Those three teams must be quarantined for 14 days minimum.

The successful countries did so by coming down hard with mass quarantines. Your cave comments trivialize this situation and come across at trolling.

How in the world are you going to slow it down by not playing games even with no fans in the stands? That's a panic move. We better start getting a grip. I totally understand the fact that the main problem is the number of people who could be infected and therefore the medical system could be overwhelmed, but not having games even when there are no fans in the stands is ridiculous. If you follow the NBA way, EVERYBODY SHOULD STAY AT HOME. INDEFINITELY. That's ridiculous.
I think a game played in an empty arena would probably look pretty ridiculous. I don't think the empty arena plan was a compromise without merit; but I think the NBA made a judgement call that the compromise wasn't worth it.

Also saw this from Layne A. Hermansen, DO

"Suppose no vaccine was found? The virus would eventually burn itself out, as what happened in 1918. Enough people would contract it and become immune to it, thus creating "herd immunity" so that its spread would dwindle."

Well I don't doubt there's some underreporting, but you also have to remember that they locked down Wuhan/Hubei early on, and the cases are largely concentrated there.
Yes, but the rest of china was basically in shut down mode during early feb while wuhan was "officially" sealed.

"Suppose no vaccine was found? The virus would eventually burn itself out, as what happened in 1918. Enough people would contract it and become immune to it, thus creating "herd immunity" so that its spread would dwindle."
there won't be a vaccine, it's a novel coronavirus. SARS has been around 2 decades and no vaccine has been made.

gunks

Hall of Famer

They estimate that the Spanish Flu of 1918 infected about 1/3rd of the world's population, killing 2-3 percent of those sick to the tune of 50 million + (this was over several years, that flu came in waves).

Hell of a way to let the virus burn itself out.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Others have made this point but I'm going to chime in. Yes, many people who get this will not show much in the way of illness (or may not realize it). The elderly and those with health problems are most in danger.

The issue is containment and "flattening the curve". You can't have this very contagious virus start overwhelming the hospitals and available health care professionals. This isn't a joke.

And it is showing the US that our absolutely unprepared health care system couldn't handle a real emergency. What if this was just as contagious but also as deadly as SARS or, heaven forbid, ebola. Can you imagine how bad things would be if it were? Sacramento County can't test more than 20 people a day, and they are devoting that entire capacity to checking the folks in Elk Grove at the center where the victim passed away recently from this virus. So, everyone else in Sacramento County can't even be tested - it's not possible. At all. I have a friend with a 100° fever and symptoms who went to the doctor today and he can't get tested.

Consider this our wake-up call. What if this were an intentionally released bioweapon instead of a somewhat benign flu-like (but still much more deadly) virus. We are screwed. I'm not getting political, I'm just saying we need to reconsider how we prepare for these things because as of right now, we aren't. At all. Other countries figured this out. We need to as well.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
They estimate that the Spanish Flu of 1918 infected about 1/3rd of the world's population, killing 2-3 percent of those sick to the tune of 50 million + (this was over several years, that flu came in waves).

Exactly. People don't know what they are talking about. Read the book "The Great Influenza" for a better idea on how horrible it actually was.

We've come a long way from a medical standpoint since the Spanish Flu though. Medical Care was absolutely horrid back then. They had a shortage of everything. Hell, even their quarantine ability was probably abysmal back then. If the Spanish Flu happened today, the mortality rate would probably be closer to 1%

Others have made this point but I'm going to chime in. Yes, many people who get this will not show much in the way of illness (or may not realize it). The elderly and those with health problems are most in danger.

The issue is containment and "flattening the curve". You can't have this very contagious virus start overwhelming the hospitals and available health care professionals. This isn't a joke.

And it is showing the US that our absolutely unprepared health care system couldn't handle a real emergency. What if this was just as contagious but also as deadly as SARS or, heaven forbid, ebola. Can you imagine how bad things would be if it were? Sacramento County can't test more than 20 people a day, and they are devoting that entire capacity to checking the folks in Elk Grove at the center where the victim passed away recently from this virus. So, everyone else in Sacramento County can't even be tested - it's not possible. At all. I have a friend with a 100° fever and symptoms who went to the doctor today and he can't get tested.

Consider this our wake-up call. What if this were an intentionally released bioweapon instead of a somewhat benign flu-like (but still much more deadly) virus. We are screwed. I'm not getting political, I'm just saying we need to reconsider how we prepare for these things because as of right now, we aren't. At all. Other countries figured this out. We need to as well.

Thank God this isn't near as deadly as SARS....

Good.

As someone who has a sister in law living under militarized quarantine in Italy, not an overreaction at all.
I will send positive vibes to your sister in law. My strength is good for others, just not myself.

In the end, we are all family. Kings Fans, or at least basketball fans. These are unfortunate events.

Look out for one another. That's most important.