Coronavirus

I do epidemiology work and agree, it's not as bad as the public response, which is nuts. In Australia everyone stocked up on toilet paper before we had 100 cases and now the supermarket shelves are empty. Corona virus is respiratory, not gastro. I saw the end of a cycling race in France, the winner was not allowed to receive his yellow jersey on the podium because of coronavirus. So they put it on him before he got in the podium - what is the difference? I think media coverage is largely to blame. I have seen few, if any, balanced pieces, even on sites that portray themselves as sensible. Just worst case headlines and quotes out of context.

Having said that, some people I work with do think there is a case for containment and trying to limit the immediate burden on the healthcare system. If there are too many people needing treatment for coronavirus then emergency help isn't available for others. South Korea got into trouble when one person with corona virus kept attending church services, so public gatherings can go wrong.
I think the TP was in response to China's factories shutting down and shipping stopped. The supply may be what is on hand until more products are recieved.

As a healthcare provider who’s in the front line care (ED, ICU, Inpatient) I can almost guarantee that this virus will not go away in a couple weeks. Anticipate there will be more cases for a while
There will be more cases, but it's not the zombie apocalypse the media is making out.

I'm curious about the cases there since it's summer time. I assume they all travelled to the northern hemisphere to contract the virus.

Wait Australians use TP? Thought they would find the closest bush leaves.
To my knowledge we have about 100 known cases and single digit deaths. Two of the deaths I am aware of were an 80 something year old and a 95 year old so hardly head turners. We do have a lot of international university students, we had some people on that cruise ship, and international travel is pretty normal. As is toilet paper. Too many deadly snakes out in the summer heat to go for bush leaves today.

Kings home games remaining in March. 3 games the next 7 days. On the road for 8 days. March 26 to april 6th 6 games.

The SF order is till the 25th of March. Unless the NBA makes the call I dont see the games at the end of the month impacted.

For those interested this circulated work a few weeks ago: possible outcomes of coronavirus: https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/04/two-scenarios-if-new-coronavirus-isnt-contained/

What we may be seeing “is the emergence of a new coronavirus … that could very well become another seasonal pathogen that causes pneumonia,” said infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm of the University of Minnesota. It would be “more than a cold” and less than SARS: “The only other pathogen I can compare it to is seasonal influenza.”

To my knowledge we have about 100 known cases and single digit deaths. Two of the deaths I am aware of were an 80 something year old and a 95 year old so hardly head turners. We do have a lot of international university students, we had some people on that cruise ship, and international travel is pretty normal. As is toilet paper. Too many deadly snakes out in the summer heat to go for bush leaves today.
Ok so 100/25,000,000. Or 1 in 250,000 has it.

Ok so 100/25,000,000. Or 1 in 250,000 has it.
Not accurate. Those are confirmed cases which undoubtedly will rise dramatically over the coming days and weeks. There are many more people with the virus than the confirmed numbers, which is why they're rising so rapidly, as testing becomes more widespread and people unknowingly infect others. It may not be the end of civilization but this is not going away any time soon, and is going to get much worse before it gets better. The trends are repeating themselves in every country with a confirmed case, there is no need to speculate here.

Not accurate. Those are confirmed cases which undoubtedly will rise dramatically over the coming days and weeks. There are many more people with the virus than the confirmed numbers, which is why they're rising so rapidly, as testing becomes more widespread and people unknowingly infect others. It may not be the end of civilization but this is not going away any time soon, and is going to get much worse before it gets better. The trends are repeating themselves in every country with a confirmed case, there is no need to speculate here.
Yeah - we don't know the true number of cases worldwide. There are many people that contract the virus that remain asymptomatic or suffer only mild symptoms and these people are less likely to be tested. Fortunately, this does mean that current figures for the mortality rate might be over-estimates. On the point that this will get worse before it gets better - I don't know how true that is (no one does). China is confident that have contained the virus and are now inviting foreign basketball players back. Many northern hemisphere nations are also transitioning out of winter, their temperatures will rise, which viruses do not like. Exercise a degree of caution - sure - but lets keep our heads.

The Utah at Oklahoma game was cancelled tonight . They had warmups and players intros and then the coaches met with the officials and then shortly after announced the game will be played at a later date.

It’s started.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This reaction by the NBA could cause panic. If a couple of players getting sick cancels a game, why would not a couple of sick people at work cause their entire workplace to cancel? The players who have the symptoms can in fact leave the building and go home, just as the people at work can leave the building and go home. I just don't see the logic in this. If they want to have games with no fans, fine, I get it, they don't want to spread the virus by the close contact of others. But this move of cancelling the season is a panic move by the NBA, or it's a PR political virtue signalling move.