Kings trade Dedmon for Parker and Len (merged)

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the move. Over the summer, it seemed like Dedmon would be a good pick up at center. Maybe we overpaid a little, but he was coming off a good year. It didn’t work out. Something in the relationship went so sour that he publicly demanded out and paid a big fine for doing so.
Not everything works. We moved on. Not a fan of Parker but he will expire sooner than Dedmon and might contribute some off the bench.
this is a clear commitment to Holmes. Addition by subtraction.
Exactly. It's easy to ridicule in hindsight, once something doesn't work.

I was never a Dedmon fan thus was underwhelmed by the signing when it happened. Lots of folks loved it and tried to rationalize it. I won't bash any of those folks for believing in it then, for the reasons you outlined. But if any of those same fans crush the FO for the move now, they're hypocrites. And the ones that know better than to do that are taking a different angle, which is the assumption that the KINGS could have done more with the 'asset'.

Whatever. They're all clueless.

Yeah, I remember all those posts too. Lots of the same people complaining about "not maximizing" assets right now. These people ALWAYS have the right answers and KNOW what to do in each and every situation, despite not being privy to any 'real' conversations between teams or between the execs of the org and really having no inside info to base decisions upon whatsoever.

In short, these people are never wrong. Never.

Yet, amazingly, they've never held a GM or front office job in their lifetime. Nor anything remotely closely related to the field. I wonder why that is.

But they can sure scour 3rd party websites for rumors, innuendo and advanced statistics that magically provides them the answer to the meaning of life and how the universe began.
Yep as incredibly irritated I am that Dedmon turned out to be a dud, I didn't really know him aside from all the praises that were being sung for the entire second half of last season and him being the ideal target. When he signed it was to near universal praise and most folks thought it was a good contract. I do wish I knew where it all went wrong. So many questions.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand, I like this trade just fine.

Dedmon was just coming back so his trade value helped us landing Jabari Parker who we (allegedly) wanted a couple of years back, whose demand at the time was higher than he is now but he's (arguably) playing better ball now, and another big body with Alex Len who isn't amazing but might be more serviceable than Mika...

Prove to me that the KINGS had a deal like the one MEM just made w/ MIA on the table and I'll apologize. But until that proof is provided I'll keep circling back to the fact that there were playoff contending teams lined up to acquire Iggy and it gave MEM, who waited patiently on making a deal for a while now, a lot more leverage. The market for Dedmon clearly wasn't the same.
You're not understanding. The point is the initial Iguadala trade between Memphis and GSW. That was a smart move. That netted Memphis a 1st round pick and since they made the initial trade, they were able to trade Iguodala for another asset. That initial Iggy trade was a move that the Kings should've done instead of using 25mil for two vets that are out of the team halfway of the season and netted them nothing. Memphis used cap space smartly in the offseason and got 1st+Winslow for it. We used it poorly and got nothing from it

But there's a faction of you that suffer from delusions of grandeur, foolishly believing you are qualified GM's when the reality is, you really have no clue what you don't know. The Internet and analytics have poisoned many minds and created a false sense of knowledge and experience. Ignorance is bliss, or so I've heard.
You are calling people foolish and delusional and you dont even understand what people in here are talking about. Maybe calm down a little

Yep as incredibly irritated I am that Dedmon turned out to be a dud, I didn't really know him aside from all the praises that were being sung for the entire second half of last season and him being the ideal target. When he signed it was to near universal praise and most folks thought it was a good contract. I do wish I knew where it all went wrong. So many questions.
Me too. But when you watch sports long enough, you recognize that things like this happen more frequently than not. It's just not that simple.

When my son was younger, it was hard to get him to understand that putting the supposedly best 5 NBA players or 9 MLB players or 11 NFL players, etc. in the game on the same team wouldn't necessarily guarantee a championship. Or even to be one of the best teams.

As a KINGS fan, I remember when the KINGS landed Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. I was thoroughly convinced the KINGS backcourt of him and Mitch Richmond would be pretty darn good and difficult to defend. But it just never came close to creating a winner. Just wasn't a good match at all.

Even though they were all older, how many were convinced Shaq and Kobe with Karl Malone and Gary Payton was gonna amount to a championship? How many were convinced LeBron, Wade, and Bosh was going to bring back not one, not two, not three, not four, not five ....etc.? Only won two and were victims of a huge upset in year 1.

The puzzle doesn't always fit the way people think it will. Winning teams can't be built off name recognition or production while on another team in a different situation under differing circumstances.

It just is far more complicated than most want to believe or admit.

You're not understanding.
No, you're missing the point. Again.

I'll explain one more time to you. Then I'm done with you.

The point is the initial Iguadala trade between Memphis and GSW. That was a smart move. That netted Memphis a 1st round pick and since they made the initial trade, they were able to trade Iguodala for another asset. That initial Iggy trade was a move that the Kings should've done instead of using 25mil for two vets that are out of the team halfway of the season and netted them nothing. Memphis used cap space smartly in the offseason and got 1st+Winslow for it. We used it poorly and got nothing from it
ALL of the above. And I repeat ALL of the above is fantasyland. It's two different teams under different circumstances. It's apples and oranges.

You may like the move Memphis made. But assuming the KINGS could have done the same move then or make the same exact thing happen with another team now is just silly.

You might as well say, "Orlando traded for Shaq. That's a move that the Kings should've done". It'd be the same thing. Because they are working under different circumstances.

Do you know whether GSW offered the same Iggy trade to SAC? I mean, is it possible that the KINGS wanted to take on Iggy's contact and net a 1st round pick out of it? Maybe. Were you on any of the calls? Is it also possible that the Warriors didn't want to deal with the KINGS, or even other orgs, and opted to do the same or similar deal with a non-regional, non-rival, non-divisional team??

Those are things you're not thinking about. You're just assuming the same opportunity was there. Unless you can provide proof that it was and the KINGS didn't take it, you're simply talking out of your you-know-what. That's the REAL point.

Furthermore, when MEM made that deal with GSW, they didn't know to a certainty that a 36 yo player with Iggy's mileage would garner the interest and assets that they just got 7 mo later. It could have easily not worked out the way it just did. You are looking at it via the gift of hindsight. It's easy to know what should have been done AFTER the fact.

To that point, please show me the post where YOU proposed making the trade MEM did last July and where YOU predicted it would eventually lead to another 1st round pick 7 months later. Because YOU are obviously clairvoyant and knew what should have been done.

Furthermore, MEM and the KINGS weren't the only org's that had cap space or the ability to make that same move with GSW. How come they didn't do it??? Or how come it hasn't happened near as much in other years when teams had the ability? I guess Vlade and the KINGS aren't the only idiots.

You're connecting dots and making assumptions while missing a ton of info. That's the point YOU continue to miss.

Like you and everyone else, I have opinions. There are moves I like and moves I don't. But unlike you and many others, I realize that I'm not privy to a lot of back office info, not only from the KINGS but from all the other orgs, and that I'm in no way an expert GM. I have no issue admitting that.

I believe Vlade made a huge mistake drafting MB3 over #77, but I don't pretend to know the reasoning or how's and why's. IDK what their plan is. I've had problems with other draft selections and FA choices. But when it comes to FA options and trades, I can admit that IDK all the options presented and available to them. So I refuse to make the same leaps and bounds you and the other delusional genius GM's are making.

And I'm not gonna lose sleep calling you and the others out on that BS. Sorry if it offends.

But if you guys can throw out your blind takes with passion and impunity, then I can respond to them and pick them apart in kind.

You are calling people foolish and delusional and you dont even understand what people in here are talking about. Maybe calm down a little
I know exactly what's being discussed. As pointed out above, you are continually missing the bigger point. That you keep taking leaps of faith in assuming what options are or aren't presented and available to the KINGS.

Again, if you can provide unequivocal proof that the KINGS had the same options available to them as the genius Memphis Grizzlies and that they turned down the opportunity while also being aware that it would net them even more 7 months later, I'll eat a huge slice of humble pie, apologize, and crown you GM of the year.

In the meantime, I'll sit idly by and wait.....

Last edited:
Do you know whether GSW offered the same Iggy trade to SAC? I mean, is it possible that the KINGS wanted to take on Iggy's contact and net a 1st round pick out of it? Maybe. Were you on any of the calls? Is it also possible that the Warriors didn't want to deal with the KINGS, or even other orgs, and opted to do the same or similar deal with a non-regional, non-rival, non-divisional team??

Those are things you're not thinking about. You're just assuming the same opportunity was there. Unless you can provide proof that it was and the KINGS didn't take it, you're simply talking out of your you-know-what. That's the REAL point.
No one knows what was offered, but smart franchises work the phone on these type of deals. Once it was clear that GSW needed to shed salary in order to make their moves, it would've been smart to immediately start working some deal like that. You could've even undercut that deal by giving back some lowish 2nd and it still would've been a good deal.

Overall the bigger point isnt just this one exact trade. Its multiple years of missing these trades and every time I say that Kings should've done that type of trade instead of overpaying for Zach Randolph, George Hill, Dedmon, Afflalo ect, the response is the same: "how do you know this trade was offered to us". Well it can be said for one specific trade but if you miss numerous trades like that many years in a row, to me it isnt a valid argument anymore. If you know these trades would've been smart, if these trades has happened multiple times over multiple years and you never managed to do even one, then the problem is probably the gm/front office.

Furthermore, when MEM made that deal with GSW, they didn't know to a certainty that a 36 yo player with Iggy's mileage would garner the interest and assets that they just got 7 mo later. It could have easily not worked out the way it just did. You are looking at it via the gift of hindsight. It's easy to know what should have been done AFTER the fact.
It would've been a good trade even without getting Winslow out of it too. It was also known that multiple teams were extremely interested in him if he was bought out so there was a good chance you could possibly even get something from him in the trade market.

To that point, please show me the post where YOU proposed making the trade MEM did last July and where YOU predicted it would eventually lead to another 1st round pick 7 months later. Because YOU are obviously clairvoyant and knew what should have been done.
I cant be in here trying to predict every single trade we should do and then project if we could flip these players for even something more. Getting something for Iggy wasnt any huge surprise, there was always some possibilty for at least an expiring and a 2nd.

Also if you want you can look at my post history as it aparrently intrests you and you can see that for three years now I've been advocating for renting our cap space for future picks. As I'm not an insider I cant predict which team is willing to dump which players and giving future assets for them

Furthermore, MEM and the KINGS weren't the only org's that had cap space or the ability to make that same move with GSW. How come they didn't do it??? Or how come it hasn't happened near as much in other years when teams had the ability? I guess Vlade and the KINGS aren't the only idiots.
Again the same argument. Vlade has been GM for a while and never managed to do a deal like this. These deals have been made multiple times so if for some reason our GM wont make calls and doesnt recieve them, maybe its the GMs fault.

And I'm not gonna lose sleep calling you and the others out on that BS. Sorry if it offends.

But if you guys can throw out your blind takes with passion and impunity, then I can respond to them and pick them apart in kind.
You can try to pick anything apart you want but throwing personal insults doesnt make your argument any bettet.

I know exactly what's being discussed.
One could argue you dont. People were talking about how smart it was to take Iguadalas contract and a 1st when they also managed to get Winslow too, very smart compared to signing Dedmon and Ariza and getting nothing out of them after they are gone. You were talking about how Kings couldn't have gotten Winslow because Dedmon didnt have the same trade value. To me that means you didnt understand what was being discussed and on top of that you started throwing personal insults.

This can not be stated enough.
How come some KINGS fans can't seem to recognize when the reverse occurs?

Isn't Richaun Holmes performing well in SAC after flaming out or at least not being as impactful elsewhere?

How about Nemanja Bjelica, who Timberwolves fans are still lamenting? Doesn't he count in favor of the KINGS?

Marcus Thornton, Beno Udrih both played well for SAC after not cutting it elsewhere. How about them?

This kind of thing happens to ALL franchises. Admittedly some more than others, but nobody is immune to it. It just seems to happen more to the biased fan of his/her favorite team.

IMO, this partially goes back to what I outlined in post #126 of the thread. About the pieces of the puzzle not always fitting as someone thinks and that it's more complicated to assemble a winner than most choose to believe or admit. Some of it is certainly player development, and some of it is just poor timing. As many players just don't figure things out or put in the necessary work until given up on.

But make no mistake, the larger part of it is situational fit. Chemistry with others. A players comfort with his surroundings. There's a lot that goes into it. That's why pairings and lineups that look great on paper don't always work.

That @The_Jamal brings this up and positions it the way he does is, well, typical. But it's far from a KINGS only thing. And I have as much problem with the current KINGS org as anybody else. Just being real about it.

No one knows what was offered, but smart franchises work the phone on these type of deals. Once it was clear that GSW needed to shed salary in order to make their moves, it would've been smart to immediately start working some deal like that. You could've even undercut that deal by giving back some lowish 2nd and it still would've been a good deal.
You're clearly not reading before you respond.

You should have stopped after the first half of your first sentence. It would have proved you understood the overarching point. That you don't know anything and are just throwing out nothing but supposition!

But, instead, you follow up with "working the phone" and "undercut that deal".

What makes you believe that they didn't do any of that? How many times do I have to point out that you keep making assumptions you can't possibly know to be true? Were you privy to any of their communication? Do you know what calls they made or didn't make? Emails they sent or didn't send? Faxes?? NO!

And it's clear you didn't read or at least consider what I stated when I stated:

Because you follow up, again, with accusations and assumptions that the same option(s) was available to them, but that they just didn't pursue it. And YOU DON'T KNOW THAT! So stop already.

Is it possible your assumptions could be true? Sure, most things are possible. But, again, the resounding point is it's all supposition. Based upon nothing real or factual.

IMO, bashing the org about a move you would have wanted them to make based solely upon supposition is, well, RIDICULOUS!

I said I was done the last time I responded to you. This time I am. Especially since it's clear you aren't going to acknowledge points like I bolded above while re-stating the same supposition.

Nothing personal against you, Gguod, as we've bantered back and forth many times in the past, sometimes in agreement and sometimes not. But this is going nowhere.

Peace out.

Last edited:
Especially since it's clear you aren't going to acknowledge points like I bolded above while re-stating the same supposition.
I thought i answered to that with:

Overall the bigger point isnt just this one exact trade. Its multiple years of missing these trades and every time I say that Kings should've done that type of trade instead of overpaying for Zach Randolph, George Hill, Dedmon, Afflalo ect, the response is the same: "how do you know this trade was offered to us". Well it can be said for one specific trade but if you miss numerous trades like that many years in a row, to me it isnt a valid argument anymore. If you know these trades would've been smart, if these trades has happened multiple times over multiple years and you never managed to do even one, then the problem is probably the gm/front office.
In short: If the gm has missed every single salary dump trade since he became a gm, the argument "how do you know it was offered to us" isnt valid anymore, at least to me. It might be true on some cases, but unlikely that it was the case with all these trades.

Was it the case with this exact situation, who knows but it couldn't have been the case in all of them or porbably even most of them. The criticism on overpaying vets versus taking salary dumps with future assets isnt just about this case. This case is just another example on what we missed versus what we did.

So in other words.. Memphis spent their cap space incredibly wisely taking an asset for Iggy and then patiently waiting for contenders to pounce on him at the deadline?

We weren't in position to take on the Iggy contract because we spent $60 million on Barnes/Dedmon/Ariza/CoJo this summer and 2 of them are already gone. Memphis got absolute maximum value out of their cap space while we got nothing out of ours.

No one is suggesting we should have been able to get the same haul for Dedmon as Memphis did for Iggy. I'm not even sure why you keep bringing that up, not a single person in this thread has mentioned that. Everyone's ticked (and rightfully so) that Memphis is playing the long-game with their rebuild and are now already further along than the Kings in 16 months because of great decisions they've made. Like taking the Iggy contract over spending on Trevor Ariza and CoJo.
I'll be the first to admit I had my eye on Dedmon, but I thought Cojo was an overpay and hated the Ariza signing. I wasn't asking to take on any contracts this past offseason, but now that I think about, he's NEVER taken on any assets for bad contracts.

Some people here have been screaming for years that he should get some assets for a big contract during the rebuild phase and we usually get ridiculed by the Vlade defense team.

Now Memphis looks like geniuses and we look very meh. On the plus side, we get to see a guy play on the same team as his future self, so there's that.

I'll be the first to admit I had my eye on Dedmon, but I thought Cojo was an overpay and hated the Ariza signing. I wasn't asking to take on any contracts this past offseason, but now that I think about, he's NEVER taken on any assets for bad contracts.

Some people here have been screaming for years that he should get some assets for a big contract during the rebuild phase and we usually get ridiculed by the Vlade defense team.

Now Memphis looks like geniuses and we look very meh. On the plus side, we get to see a guy play on the same team as his future self, so there's that.
This FO’s thinking is about 1990s as you could get, which is rather funny given its off the court, modern branding.

Completely right on the kings not taking on contracts the way Memphis is. Memphis has a competent GM pulling the levers. And they are well on their way to success while the kings continue to KANGZ.
Vivek hired vlade for this reason. To inoculate the FO from taking heat. There is a large group of fans who won’t talk bad about vlade, no matter what he does. Working out perfect for Vivek and his incompetent FO.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Completely right on the kings not taking on contracts the way Memphis is. Memphis has a competent GM pulling the levers. And they are well on their way to success while the kings continue to KANGZ.
Vivek hired vlade for this reason. To inoculate the FO from taking heat. There is a large group of fans who won’t talk bad about vlade, no matter what he does. Working out perfect for Vivek and his incompetent FO.
Can’t like this enough.

So Dedmon was a bust, no 3pt spacing, stone hands,lost starting to Holmes,requests trade
I am so glad to see him go!
We trade 2 high 2 picks, still have a 1st and 2 2nd coming up
Jabari gets 1.5 yrs at 6.5m cheap rate to backup Barnes
Len could be resigned for a cheap backup C (Early Bird), and/or Giles to a cheap contract
Keep Cojo,Belly, room to sign Bogi

Fox,Cojo
Bogi,Buddy,James
Barnes,Parker
Bagley,Bjelly
Holmes,Len,Giles
Plus a 1st and 2 2nd or even Kyle Guy as 3rd PG

8 returning players to get healthy and get in the groove together

I love this team

When we consider both trades:

Out
Dedmon $13,333,334 $13,333,333 $13,333,333 (Only $1,000,000 guaranteed in 2021/22)
Trevor Ariza $12,200,000 $12,800,000 (Only $1,800,000 guaranteed in 2020/21)
Weyen Gabriel $79,568 expiring
Caleb Swanigan $2,033,160 expiring
Houston 2nd 2020
Miami 2nd 2021

In
Bazemore $19,269,663 expiring
Tolliver $2,564,753 expiring
Jabari Parker $6,500,000 $6,500,000
Alex Len $4,160,000 expiring
Portland 2nd 2024
Portland 2nd 2025

Picks
We still have 3 second round picks in the 2020 draft (SAC, DET, MIA). We still have 2 second round picks in the 2021 draft (SAC, MEM). We basically traded two picks that will probably be in the 50s this year and next and upgraded them to better picks. This also stopped us from having four second round picks this year, and three next year which is too many.

Personnel
Well Ariza and Dedmon had to go, period. Ariza was going to kill Buddy one of these days, and Dedmon clearly wasn't happy. Is Alex Len an upgrade for Dedmon? NO! Is Alex Len an okay player? Not really, but he is 7 ft. tall, and Holmes is back and ready to rock and roll. I think the kings are trying to fufill the SunKings prophecy (Link: Game of Zones). Holmes has earned the starting center spot. I feel that Ariza for Baze is about an even trade as you can get. I actually like Baze a little more. The last game he really got under KAT's skin. With the eye test, Ariza was rebounding well, but I still cringed when he jacked up shots. Baze doesn't seem to jack up as many shots and with the inconsistency of our shooting guard position this year, Baze is arguably a better fit.

Dedmon did not do what he was brought in to do, period. Some think he can "stretch the floor," well his 19.7% from three this year would argue other wise. He looks about as good as Tolliver when he shoots the three. Tolliver by the way is averaging one point and just over one rebound a game. I would still take Tolliver over Swannigan any day of the week. Swan is horrible! He shuffled his feet on almost every play, lost weight and was still out of shape, and turned it over constantly. Literally.zero.NBA.skill. I have seen J.Parker have some pretty decent games in the past. Does he still have much in the tank? IDK, but he is still young. I only feel bad for Weyen. He had some great preseason games, and could really be a high-energy spark plug for a team. He was knocking down the 3 in the preseason, but during the season . . . not so much.

Salary
The salary implications are good. We freed up guaranteed money. With Parker, injuries are a major concern, but with only a 6.5 player option next year, it is not handcuffing our future salary cap, and if he turns into a scorer off the bench/6th man at that price, it would be worth getting rid of Dedmon, plus (if reports are true) we freed up some cap to potentially keep Bogi.

Holmes/Bagley
Bjelly/Giles/Parker
Barnes/Baze
Bogi/Buddy
Fox/Cojo

Like it.

When we consider both trades:

Out
Dedmon $13,333,334 $13,333,333 $13,333,333 (Only $1,000,000 guaranteed in 2021/22)
Trevor Ariza $12,200,000 $12,800,000 (Only $1,800,000 guaranteed in 2020/21)
Weyen Gabriel $79,568 expiring
Caleb Swanigan $2,033,160 expiring
Houston 2nd 2020
Miami 2nd 2021

In
Bazemore $19,269,663 expiring
Tolliver $2,564,753 expiring
Jabari Parker $6,500,000 $6,500,000
Alex Len $4,160,000 expiring
Portland 2nd 2024
Portland 2nd 2025

Picks
We still have 3 second round picks in the 2020 draft (SAC, DET, MIA). We still have 2 second round picks in the 2021 draft (SAC, MEM). We basically traded two picks that will probably be in the 50s this year and next and upgraded them to better picks. This also stopped us from having four second round picks this year, and three next year which is too many.

Personnel
Well Ariza and Dedmon had to go, period. Ariza was going to kill Buddy one of these days, and Dedmon clearly wasn't happy. Is Alex Len an upgrade for Dedmon? NO! Is Alex Len an okay player? Not really, but he is 7 ft. tall, and Holmes is back and ready to rock and roll. I think the kings are trying to fufill the SunKings prophecy (Link: Game of Zones). Holmes has earned the starting center spot. I feel that Ariza for Baze is about an even trade as you can get. I actually like Baze a little more. The last game he really got under KAT's skin. With the eye test, Ariza was rebounding well, but I still cringed when he jacked up shots. Baze doesn't seem to jack up as many shots and with the inconsistency of our shooting guard position this year, Baze is arguably a better fit.

Dedmon did not do what he was brought in to do, period. Some think he can "stretch the floor," well his 19.7% from three this year would argue other wise. He looks about as good as Tolliver when he shoots the three. Tolliver by the way is averaging one point and just over one rebound a game. I would still take Tolliver over Swannigan any day of the week. Swan is horrible! He shuffled his feet on almost every play, lost weight and was still out of shape, and turned it over constantly. Literally.zero.NBA.skill. I have seen J.Parker have some pretty decent games in the past. Does he still have much in the tank? IDK, but he is still young. I only feel bad for Weyen. He had some great preseason games, and could really be a high-energy spark plug for a team. He was knocking down the 3 in the preseason, but during the season . . . not so much.

Salary
The salary implications are good. We freed up guaranteed money. With Parker, injuries are a major concern, but with only a 6.5 player option next year, it is not handcuffing our future salary cap, and if he turns into a scorer off the bench/6th man at that price, it would be worth getting rid of Dedmon, plus (if reports are true) we freed up some cap to potentially keep Bogi.

Holmes/Bagley
Bjelly/Giles/Parker
Barnes/Baze
Bogi/Buddy
Fox/Cojo

Like it.
Buddy and Parker playing minutes together? Ole!

yeah I was on board with the Dedmon signing too. One of the few moves I thought was actually good made by this FO. So in that regard, us getting out of the contract for 2 late 2nds isn't the worst thing in the world. As I've said before, another conversation entirely as to why a perfectly great role player all of a sudden forgot how to play with us is another major issue that needs to be dealt with.

I just hate the narrative that's going around that we can "now afford Bogi" comfortably. We always could afford Bogi, it's just now going to cost the owners less money out of there pocket. We had no limit as to how high an offer we could match, just how much below the luxury tax we'd be. If we were so worried about his and Buddy's extension, we shouldn't have dropped 60 mil this off-season on veteran contracts. So if Dedmon were balling out this year, would we not have resigned Bogi? Doesn't make sense and it's more spin from the spin-doctors like Grant to save his buddy Vlade from another failed off-season.

I keep hearing how brilliant Memphis is yet the trade being reported, as currently constructed, ain't all that.

Justise Winslow, Dion Waiters and James Johnson to the Memphis Grizzlies for Andre Iguodala, Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder. No draft picks mentioned. Woj is also reporting that the three team Gallinari deal is fully stalled.

So riddle me what's so brilliant about this trade? What am I missing??

Mere hours ago I was being scolded and corrected about the purported trade that right now isn't looking anything like those brilliant basketball minds were telling me that it was. And that the KINGS could and should emulate. I sure hope this trade changes for the better over the next 2 hours. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm wondering how Memphis is looking any differently than the KINGS did at this same point last season when they were the darling surprise team everyone was heaping praise upon. We all how quickly that's changed. So how do we know Memphis' rebuild has more staying power?

Just seems like some fans are quick to join certain bandwagons. And not very quick to admit they are wrong if/when it doesn't turn out so great. Very turncoat-ish.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
At best I guess I'm in the meh category. Does this deal improve the Kings' defense? Unequivocally, it does not. Until I see otherwise, it looks like the Kings' defense gets worse with this deal. Does it improve the offense? Parker is unequivocally a better offensive player than Dedmon. What is the bigger need for this team - offense or defense? I think it's defense. How does Parker's game complement Fox on the offensive end? He's a 27% 3 point shooter this year, and has been 32% for his career, so that doesn't work. Does Parker play with Buddy in the 2nd unit? Is the inside-outside dynamic with Parker and Buddy going to work? Call me a little skeptical right now on that idea.

At first blush, it seems like the purpose of this deal is mainly to cancel the original Dedmon deal with somewhat more cap room flexibility going forward. It gives Divac a do-over. But the idea that this deal is good because it allows Divac to pay Bogs in the off-season leaves me unimpressed. Bogs has proven he's a part-timer - he's either injured or "not right" (to use Napear's term) for most of the season. Bogs should not be a priority re-sign for this team. The cap $ earned from this Dedmon deal should be used for something better. Bogs needs to be traded for value to better this team.

So, this trade pretty much proves what I've been saying about the front office and rumors. NOBODY saw this coming - and I'm very happy in that regard.
What? Dedmond back to ATL has been discussed around the NBA for several weeks.

What amazes me is the ability of some here to turn this into yet another condemnation of Vlade when he did exactly what some have been calling for.
We are calling for him to not make those stupid signings to begin with, which results in the Kings having to sacrifice more assets just to unload a bad contract. They gave up two picks and received no talent that will be part of a winning team, just to get out from under Dedmon. This is what bad front offices do.

Status
Not open for further replies.