The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a certain charged emotion in the air that feels different than the usual dejection and frustration. There's always kind of a things don't go your way combined with horrific incompetence. Moving down in the lottery and what have you.

Vlade has had EVERY lucky break go his way during his tenure and IT DIDN'T MATTER. His trade with Philly turned out not as bad as it could have been. Cousins blowing out his Achilles meant Vlade wasn't the architect of a failed trade. He moved up twice in consecutive years with a pretty low chance of doing so.

To still be this sad... that's a level of pathetic that Petrie and Pete could only dream of.

Notice that there isn't really any talk of tanking... it isn't because people have all of a sudden stopped believing in it. Even discussion of offseason plans in FA and trades are pretty half-hearted these days. It's not like the warchest of assets is any more barren than what we're used to.

The passing he was doing was extraordinary other than LeBron and maybe Harden no one can make the passes he was making, his size/strength and smarts are unreal and basically allow him to play by himself an entire game while the teammates chip in. Once his shot comes around and he gets grown man size I expect his defense to be solid because strength and smarts are what makes a great defender imo (not saying he will be great).The Mavs roster I will say again is not that bad the guys play hard and space the floor, while on talent our roster blows them out in reality they are far superior since you can't put a price on defense and IQ.

I really wish the Mavs would trade for Jrue Holiday (since they missed out on Brogdan) him/Luka/healthy KP would be nasty.

Luka is the youngest player with a 20/15/15+ game. Younger than Lebron to do this.

This doesn't get any easier.

Vlade needs to step back, stay as GM or President and let somebody else come in and make the real basketball decisions.

The more I think about this, the more I realize this is the Kings passing on Lebron. This is that. Bad.

As such, I think I need a break from the NBA. This reality, when it sets in, is extremely painful and beyond disappointing.

Last edited:
The passing he was doing was extraordinary other than LeBron and maybe Harden no one can make the passes he was making, his size/strength and smarts are unreal and basically allow him to play by himself an entire game while the teammates chip in. Once his shot comes around and he gets grown man size I expect his defense to be solid because strength and smarts are what makes a great defender imo (not saying he will be great).The Mavs roster I will say again is not that bad the guys play hard and space the floor, while on talent our roster blows them out in reality they are far superior since you can't put a price on defense and IQ.

I really wish the Mavs would trade for Jrue Holiday (since they missed out on Brogdan) him/Luka/healthy KP would be nasty.
These fools are gonna waste assets waiting on Giannis like they did to dirk after his championship. Everyone knows they should’ve went after Brogdan but no now they should go for Bogi but won’t do that either.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Not sure if it was posted but I guess this belongs here...
View attachment 9492
I still think Dave is a headstrong a**, but if that’s where the friction came from (started?)... Dave was 100% justified in butting heads and being the jerk he tends to be.

Has there been “Dave actually wanted Luka” reports in the past? Now that I see it, I feel dejavu like I already knew that.

Not sure if it was posted but I guess this belongs here...
View attachment 9492
Joeger wanted Luka like any competent coach/gm, it started friction with these dumb decision makers that wanted Bagley instead. Now Joeger is out of job and the person that made that idiotic mistake is still calling the shots for this organization? Dear god what the h**l is this? It just makes zero sense. This is a great example on how bad franchises stay bad.

"This is how bad franchises stay bad" is exactly right. The difference makers don't stick around while the poor decision makers do. Luka was our chance to end the drought and turn it around. The coach who got the most of this core was sent packing and the modern Larry Bird was passed up.
Can we stop with Joerger if he didn’t have beef with Memphis fine but he’s proven that he himself is a problem

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can we stop with Joerger if he didn’t have beef with Memphis fine but he’s proven that he himself is a problem
Word. Joerger the one decision I firmly stand with Vlade on. Even if his tomfoolery stemmed from wanting Luka, he was still a headstrong mule who got himself fired from two different jobs.

Why weren’t teams beating down his door, I wonder?

Word. Joerger the one decision I firmly stand with Vlade on. Even if his tomfoolery stemmed from wanting Luka, he was still a headstrong mule who got himself fired from two different jobs.

Why weren’t teams beating down his door, I wonder?
I'm no fan of Joerger but firmly standing with Vlade seems like strong words. I'm ambivalent on the actual fact that Joerger isn't here anymore, but what are the reasons Vlade let him go?

It seems to be a combination of cronyism, hubris, his own fragile ego's need to be surrounded by yes men, and smelling his own farts.

If they retained Joerger and drafted Luka, we'd be sitting firmly in the playoffs right now. I don't care if Joerger was difficult to deal with or who he had beef with. Just win some damn games and make the playoffs already.
Even if Fox + Luka end up not working out together, that's still a good problem to have since you can either put them in different period of the game and let them do work individually, or with both having sky-high trade value it won't be hard to replace one for useful pieces to company the other.

Last edited:
You mean the fantastically successful Grizzlies franchise? I'd expect winners to have problems with losers.

More to the point: I'm not pretending DJ was fantastic. I bitched up and down about his rotations and lineups last season. But compared to this inept front office? Yeah if I had to select one side to stick with, it would have been DJ considering all that has happened.

If they retained Joerger and drafted Luka, we'd be sitting firmly in the playoffs right now. I don't care if Joerger was difficult to deal with or who he had beef with. Just win some damn games and make the playoffs already.
And how do we even know Joerger is telling the truth it’s easy to say that now especially when you don’t like the franchise.

Same crap that the colts old him did literally 10 years later he comes out and says he had Peyton Manning over Leaf on draft day, easy to say that crap after the fact

I posited at the time that we should draft Luka and trade Fox, but the above comment is fairly naive, and indicative of a common misperception amongst the general fan base. One, Fox and Luka would not have played together. Fox would have immediately demanded a trade. Fox is quite sharp, and he and his team knew all along what Luka was. Second, Fox did not have sky high value at the time. In fact, he had lost value over his rookie year. Realistic scenarios were getting an injured Zinger (who sat out the entirety of the ensuing season) or perhaps a Johhny Isaac also coming off significant injury. Bottom line, last year would have been really bad, and Boston would have gotten a very high pick. In the long run, that’s maybe best for us as fans. Anyway, what seems almost certain is that if Vlade picked Luka he would have been fired last year, and by not picking Luka he’ll (very likely) be fired after this year. Fascinating case study, really.
Why would we have been any worse last year let’s say Fox does demand a trade and we did trade him for Porzingis which we should have done. Luka was at 21/8/6 last year he produced in his rookie year he was better than fox add in how well he’d fit with Bogi/Buddy there’s no way we would’ve been that much worse or have had Vlade fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.