The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other guys on Dallas might not be great players but I have never questioned a single one of them of not playing hard even Zinger despite his shooting troubles still tries super hard on defense. Luka is carrying them but those other guys are doing just enough to give that extra push with really high effort. It's a massive shame they didn't go after Brogdan this offseason that would have been an absolute master stroke and would have made them a nightmare to play against.

Fair enough. Not that I totally agree, but I do see your point. I keep having Cisco Garcia flashbacks whenever I watch Buddy, so I can't even pretend to be impartial in his regard. Would he be better as 6th man? It worked pretty well for Bobby Jackson.
It may be obvious I'm not a big Bagley fan because of the draft pick, but I'm a believer it has to be sink or swim with him and his fit with this group because he's so important to this franchise.

Whatever the case, there was a discussion sparked that wasn't shut down immediately regarding Bagley coming off the bench. There were reasons brought up to why Bagley should come off the bench and it wasn't just related to his injury.

If you plug him into the starting lineup and he fits or his talent outweighs the drawbacks and they grow as a unit then I can get onboard with this pick. If they throw him on the bench as a 6th man and continue to mask his flaws and fit, I'd have to reconcile passing on Luka AND have to try and rationalize the Bagley pick as being a good one, which I just cannot do.

I actually have no problem at all in agreeing with this. Maybe at some point it will be more about what he's doing and not what uniform he's (not) doing it in. I could easily live with that.
Can you admit it goes a little both ways though.

“Lukaphiles?” From the last page? “Luka Stans” to a lesser extent.

The silly attempts to bring what the kid is doing down because he has his loud group of fans here?

I’m pretty sure if the whole Kings situation never happened there would still be a pretty active thread about watching something special happen. We’re not a dumb bunch of fans at this place. And we know what we’re seeing.
Disagree.

He's not the only one who's ever made NBA history and we don't have 25 page long threads 1/5 of the way through the regular season on them with daily updates on what they did or didn't do that night. This is pretty intrinsically linked to the Kings situation.

Do you think Cleveland fans ever just looked at Miami Lebron and merely marveled at the special things he was doing? I doubt it.

It is. Absolutely no freaking one is debating that. At the same time, Luka hasn’t been perfect! He’s been damn great but there are still things that aren’t awesome about his ascent this year and anyone that isn’t overflowing with pure adulation is immediately attacked like they’ve just made a direct threat against Luka’s family.

As I’ve said time after time after freaking time, I wanted Luka. I wanted him bad. It hurts that we didn’t get him. At the same time, it’s not like Marvin Bagley has been actively awful (he’s in fact been pretty damn good) so forgive me if I’m not as outwardly negative as some of you. Maybe I’m just not wired to feel so much pain over missing out on Luka or over sports in general anymore quite frankly. I’ve been approaching watching Luka from purely a basketball perspective and thought that there were enough comments about what he does good that I could point out what hasn’t been that awesome and for that I apologize.

Apparently some of you have been construing my posts as trolling, which hasn’t been my intention at all, but for that I apologize and promise to take a step back from here so you can all celebrate greatness/curse Vlade’s name in peace.
Look, I'll be honest with you.

If this were a game thread of basketball, then what you do is fair game. I trash players, call out stanning, and stan for players all the time. But that's not really what this is.

Posting in this is about venting and trying to prove a point. I do it, SLAB does it, all us Luka stans do it. I can't say how much is venting and how much is marveling at the talent for others, since I'm one of the people who is LEAST invested in just witnessing the greatness and MOST invested in spitefully trashing the decision and/or Vlade.

So when you come in here it comes off less like game thread banter and more like an increasingly flimsy series of attempts to deflect from the pick that must not be named.

Like the Russ comparison with their league-wide perception for example: what I'm thinking isn't "rush to Luka's aid", but more "what does that have to do with the fact that we didn't pick him?"

Believe it or not, it is possible to have a conversation without bringing up Luka.
If you would have just said something about Vlade maybe being right about JJ while most the rest of us were wrong would have been fine, but to act like the guys up there really know what they're doing while they whiffed on a walking 30pt triple double....well lets just say my anxiety would not let me pass by that comment without saying something.

If you would have just said something about Vlade maybe being right about JJ while most the rest of us were wrong would have been fine, but to act like the guys up there really know what they're doing while they whiffed on a walking 30pt triple double....well lets just say my anxiety would not let me pass by that comment without saying something.
Yeah agree I noticed that too. It's great that Vlade apparently found an NBA rotation type player in the second round while nobody else had Justin James on their radar.

However that doesn't justify his massive whiffs in the first round (Papa G, Justin Jackson, Malachi, etc.).

Justin James may be a nice little find but he doesn't move the needle let alone change the trajectory of the entire team. I'd much prefer my GM get the big picks right.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It may be obvious I'm not a big Bagley fan because of the draft pick, but I'm a believer it has to be sink or swim with him and his fit with this group because he's so important to this franchise.

Whatever the case, there was a discussion sparked that wasn't shut down immediately regarding Bagley coming off the bench. There were reasons brought up to why Bagley should come off the bench and it wasn't just related to his injury.

If you plug him into the starting lineup and he fits or his talent outweighs the drawbacks and they grow as a unit then I can get onboard with this pick. If they throw him on the bench as a 6th man and continue to mask his flaws and fit, I'd have to reconcile passing on Luka AND have to try and rationalize the Bagley pick as being a good one, which I just cannot do.
Somebody advocating that MB3 come off the bench on a permanent basis is just delusional. I think I may have gotten a bit confused on what people were proposing...

Carry on. ;)

I'm really glad this isn't a Phoenix Suns board right now...

Let’s just say a majority of Suns fans worldwide are on suicide watch after last night’s game.

Doncic putting up triple doubles while Ayton putting up triple kills on Fortnite at home on his couch. About the only thing that stupid bum puts up on his Instagram and Snapchat stories.

Mavs are doing this with Luca, porzingas, and who else?
Just straight up impressive.

from what I’ve seen, he is one of the best players in the league. I’ve seen more mavs ball than kings ball so I feel safe in saying that.

Splitting the defenders for a drive and slam. Hitting that three in brons face. That’s why I’ve been watching the mavs so much. That is gonna be a team to contend with for many years to come. Congratulations to their scouts and FO for not crapping all over themselves, I mean, overthinking that 2018 draft and taking the best player in the draft. He is a friggin SUPERSTAR!

gunks

Hall of Famer
Is the snark really necessary?
No, but I like to think this thread was created for us Luka stans to mope and whine and be as toxic as we please about it.

I'm (generally) a good boy in game threads/Kings Rap. Lemme have this one to be a pain in! :p

And of course I loved watching the Lakers get stomped at home.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
No, but I like to think this thread was created for us Luka stans to mope and whine and be as toxic as we please about it.

I'm (generally) a good boy in game threads/Kings Rap. Lemme have this one to be a pain in! :p

Oh, it’s only going to get saltier and saltier as he gets better and better. Lmao

Mavs are doing this with Luca, porzingas, and who else?
Justin Jackson is really good at consistently...................................missing wide open shots.

I didn't see any of the game but just checked the box score and for once Justin Jackson wasn't terrible today. Mavs 3rd best player is clearly Hardaway Jr. but that's a pretty big dropoff from the top-2 guys. At this point the difference between Luka and Porzingis is also massive. The Mavericks have to hope that Porzingis is just rusty from having missed so much time. Clearly he's not enough close to the same player right now as when he was with the Knicks.

Numbers notwithstanding, Luka is showing just what a great leader/controller of the game he is. For the Mavs to be 13-6 with a garbage roster and a 20-year old as their leader/savior is remarkable. I don't care what their schedule has been, they've got 3 big wins now and they are consistently beating whoever is put in front of them. Good teams also beat the teams they are supposed to beat.

And yes Tetsujin, who I know is lurking somewhere ready to pounce and post once again that they lost to the New York Knicks twice............last I checked a loss to the Knicks still counts as only one loss. Two losses to the Knicks while embarrassing is still just that, two losses. Besides it's the NBA where anybody can beat anybody on a given night and seemingly every team has another team that inexplicably has their number.

No I do not think Luca and fox could have co existed. The kings would have traded fox. That would have been the smart move. Luca is the floor general every Kings fan wishes fox was. As of now I haven’t seen fox take over a game and put the team on his back like Luca consistently does.

Oh, it’s only going to get saltier and saltier as he gets better and better. Lmao
Probably. The only hope is if Bagley comes back and starts putting up either star level or borderline star level stats and leads us to victories. That'll take a little salt out of the wound maybe. I still think he's going to be really good if he can stay healthy.

This will still go down as a gigantic, epic miss regardless, but I'm rooting for Bags.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Not exactly. However, I guess as long as it's general toxicity and not directed (even subtly) at another member, it's okay.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Could you imagine the pure euphoria going through this board if this kid was in a Kings uniform? Maybe one day the team will be lucky enough to have a chance to draft such a talent.

I wonder what's gonna happen when the Kings play the Mavericks.

Not so much on this board, but what are Ham and Kings PR going to write about since that will be the first game since where the draft was absolutely, inarguably, no questions asked a whiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.