Richaun Holmes Appreciation Thread

so for @Capt. Factorial or other quality cap guys around here, would we be able to talk an extension with him this off-season? Do you gain a players bird rights after one season?

Took this dude 13 games to show he's a piece that needs to be here another 5+ seasons. The beauty with him is we don't need to worry about this being fool's gold; it's what he's been doing since he got to the league and he's finally gotten a chance to show what he can do with extended run. The last piece of the puzzle for him is to get his fouling problems under control. Otherwise, he's an absolute glove fit at C for what we need and want out of the position.

Our man Holmes gets 20/15 against his former team.
His interior defense and rebounding are making other Kings better.
He has really good hands. He is a great foul shooter.
It is the intensity and effort that have really helped along with great athleticism. Walton claims he knew it all along.
I like Sactown ExPat's post. You can build a team around a guy like that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
so for @Capt. Factorial or other quality cap guys around here, would we be able to talk an extension with him this off-season? Do you gain a players bird rights after one season?
We cannot extend Holmes. He signed a two-year deal, and only deals of three years and longer can be extended.

We will not have Bird Rights on Holmes, but we will have Early Bird Rights, which means we can ignore the cap to sign him to a 2-4 year deal starting at the greater of 175% of his salary ($8.75M) or the estimated mean salary (likely a bit more) with maximum 8% raises.

Unless we acquire Jokic/Emibed/KAT you can't not start him (could probably start him next to both Jokic/KAT as well), just the defense alone is carrying us not including the elite of the elite finishing around the rim/rebounding.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Did other coaches just not realize Richaun was this good or did he suddenly get better over the summer?

He has been a legitimate defensive anchor the likes of which this franchise hasn’t seen since Doug Christie was playing and not broadcasting the games. As great as Phoenix has been to start the year, the fact they just let him walk is looking worse and worse.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We cannot extend Holmes. He signed a two-year deal, and only deals of three years and longer can be extended.

We will not have Bird Rights on Holmes, but we will have Early Bird Rights, which means we can ignore the cap to sign him to a 2-4 year deal starting at the greater of 175% of his salary ($8.75M) or the estimated mean salary (likely a bit more) with maximum 8% raises.
8.75 x 1.75 = 15.3 M/Year. I'd do that in a heartbeat!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
8.75 x 1.75 = 15.3 M/Year. I'd do that in a heartbeat!
You misinterpreted what I meant. $8.75M is ALREADY 175% of Holmes' second year on his contract. The estimated mean salary will likely be a bit more than that. So $8.75M (or maybe a bit more) is as high as we can go with Early Bird Rights. Obviously, if we have cap room we can go higher than that. (Spoiler: Even if we don't pick up the options on Dedmon/Joseph, we're not going to have that kind of cap room without getting rid of Bjelica or Bogdanovic or probably both. If Holmes is going to command $15M per year, he'll be in another uniform.)

Did other coaches just not realize Richaun was this good or did he suddenly get better over the summer?
I think it was both good coaching and luck (or being "unlucky") because both Bagley and Giles getting injured opened the door wide open for Holmes to get big minutes.

But, it was good to see that Luke was wise enough to recognize that Holmes needed to be in the starting lineup, instead of the high priced Dedmon. That decision opened the doors to the team we are seeing today. ;)

You misinterpreted what I meant. $8.75M is ALREADY 175% of Holmes' second year on his contract. The estimated mean salary will likely be a bit more than that. So $8.75M (or maybe a bit more) is as high as we can go with Early Bird Rights. Obviously, if we have cap room we can go higher than that. (Spoiler: Even if we don't pick up the options on Dedmon/Joseph, we're not going to have that kind of cap room without getting rid of Bjelica or Bogdanovic or probably both. If Holmes is going to command $15M per year, he'll be in another uniform.)
Well, a lot can change between now and the summer of 2021. If Holmes proves to be the long term answer at Center, I'm sure that Vlade and Cantella will figure out a way to re-sign Holmes in the summer of 2021.

Tough decisions will need to be made, but the core is important to keep together, if we are rolling by 2021.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the clarification. I concur with ock: I'm not worried about it. There is plenty of time for individuals to either play themselves off of this team by the summer of 2021 either through trade on just not resigning them. (The surprising thing to me would be if the Kings don't make a trade between now and the fall of 2020, much less the summer of 2021). Also, it's not going to surprise me in the least if the core that many envision today is not the "core of the summer of 2021."

He has been a legitimate defensive anchor the likes of which this franchise hasn’t seen since Doug Christie was playing and not broadcasting the games. As great as Phoenix has been to start the year, the fact they just let him walk is looking worse and worse.
He did most the stuff now in Philly a while back when he got to start but I don't remember him being this good a defender seems to have improved his D.

Was getting so sick of the Kings signing decent level players and once they become Kings (i.e. Ramon Sessions, George Hill, Aaron Afflalo, etc.) the forget how to play ball. :(

Finally, the Kings sign a player that destroyed us every prior time we played against him and he actually plays even BETTER in a Kings uniform. :) Such a nice change for once! :)

Was getting so sick of the Kings signing decent level players and once they become Kings (i.e. Ramon Sessions, George Hill, Aaron Afflalo, etc.) the forget how to play ball. :(

Finally, the Kings sign a player that destroyed us every prior time we played against him and he actually plays even BETTER in a Kings uniform. :) Such a nice change for once! :)
Difference for once is they signed a guy entering/in his prime age rather than over 30 and declining.