what was the last movie you watched?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yes, I got that. Still seemed to be … excessive.
Was it, though?

You gotta keep in mind, Thor is at least 1500 years old but less than 5000 years old, in MCU canon, still young by his people's standards. In a comparatively very short amount of time, he:
  • Lost his mother
  • Lost his father
  • Had to surrender his kingdom, and watch it be destroyed
  • Lost his brother
  • Watched half his people get slaughtered by a genocidal madman.
  • Was helpless as half the people of the realm he swore to protect (Midgard) were obliterated by the same madman.
And then, to top all of that off, when he finally found the madman to exact revenge, not only was he unable to bring back those he lost, but by said madman being weakened by a second used of the gauntlet, and therefore no longer a threat, he was effectively denied the closure that should have come from killing him. Thor couldn't even console himself, at that point, with the knowledge that he had prevented Thanos from causing further tragedy, because Thanos wasn't even capable of doing so, anymore. Of course he'd be super depressed, which then begs the question, how are you doing the math on Thor's depression (or, at least, how he was coping with it) being excessive? That **** hits everybody different, man.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Stuber. Just...don't. Was rarely funny and apparently (like many other movies) it thinks that if you drop the F-bomb often enough that makes up for the lack of real humor.

Was it, though?

You gotta keep in mind, Thor is at least 1500 years old but less than 5000 years old, in MCU canon, still young by his people's standards. In a comparatively very short amount of time, he:
  • Lost his mother
  • Lost his father
  • Had to surrender his kingdom, and watch it be destroyed
  • Lost his brother
  • Watched half his people get slaughtered by a genocidal madman.
  • Was helpless as half the people of the realm he swore to protect (Midgard) were obliterated by the same madman.
And then, to top all of that off, when he finally found the madman to exact revenge, not only was he unable to bring back those he lost, but by said madman being weakened by a second used of the gauntlet, and therefore no longer a threat, he was effectively denied the closure that should have come from killing him. Thor couldn't even console himself, at that point, with the knowledge that he had prevented Thanos from causing further tragedy, because Thanos wasn't even capable of doing so, anymore. Of course he'd be super depressed, which then begs the question, how are you doing the math on Thor's depression (or, at least, how he was coping with it) being excessive? That **** hits everybody different, man.
I agree with you on this. At first I was a little taken back and skeptical about the direction they took his character. But upon reflection and a second viewing it made more sense to me and I didn't have a problem with it. Actually, it could be argued that the outrage over it kinda demonstrates a particular type of prejudice (not referring to anybody in this thread, just speaking in general terms).

Hell or High Water (2016)- excellent movie about two brothers who execute a string of bank robberies in rural texas. It reminded me alot of No Country for Old Men.
2 of my favorites. I’m all in on anything written/directed by Taylor Sheridan and the Coen brothers. I highly advise Wind River as well

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I finally got a chance to watch John Wick and John Wick Chapter 2 in one sitting. Is it just me or is this honestly some of Keanu Reeves' best work?

I finally got a chance to watch John Wick and John Wick Chapter 2 in one sitting. Is it just me or is this honestly some of Keanu Reeves' best work?
What’s funny about Reeves is that he gets ripped for being a poor actor, and in many ways he is, but I can not think of anyone else who could/should play his roles in some pretty iconic movies. He’s been acting consistently for what seems like forever and by all accounts is a great person.

What’s funny about Reeves is that he gets ripped for being a poor actor, and in many ways he is, but I can not think of anyone else who could/should play his roles in some pretty iconic movies. He’s been acting consistently for what seems like forever and by all accounts is a great person.
He's a limited actor, but when a director understands how to utilize him well and play to his strengths, he can be remarkably effective. When a director fails to understand how to utilize him well and play to his strengths, well... you get this:

The Last Black Man in San Francisco - not quite what I expected, but I enjoyed it. Definitely a slow movie. The plot was hard to identify and left questions in the end, but I enjoy open-ended stories that invite reflection and projection.

Finally caught Captain Marvel (redbox), I enjoyed it. I see where my friend's criticism of "its closer to the first Thor then, say, a Black Panther". Definitely a middle of the pack MCU film (in the range of Ant Man and the Wasp).

Still a lot of fun, and it was cool seeing a superhero who has to figure out her own stuff before she can go out and save the universe. Definitely excited for any future installments, as this film opened up deep space more for future films.

Watched the new Tarantino movie and loved it. DiCaprio and Pitt are just great on the screen. Margot Robbie is a beauty with talent .....kind of felt she was underutilized but I really enjoyed the movie.

Watched Stuber.....chuckled a bit throughout, you know what this is going in....a 2 star movie but entertained

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw - it was about what I expected: lots of action and leave your brain at the door. They spent a little too much time standing there ripping each other early in the movie, but overall there were a lot of funny scenes between the two. But don't go thinking the stunts will all make sense or anything will be realistic.

Watched RED again the other night and I really just enjoy that movie. Not the funniest, not the best, but a great cast and it is fun to watch them all interact.

Signed up for Regals new Unlimited plan last week, since then I’ve seen

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - kind of boring I thought, very well made with great acting by Pitt and DiCaprio but again, felt slow

Scary Stories to Tell After Dark - saw it with my 13 yr old son. I’m not familiar with the book, movie was average. A few jump scares.

Hobbs and Shaw - Cheesy? Yes Unrealistic? Uh huh Fun? You bet. Entertaining, fast paced, solid action

Good Boys - pretty funny. Not nearly as good as Superbad if that’s what your looking at as a comp but still several LOL moments

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
My sister and her family came over to watch Captain America: The First Avenger tonight. We are going to watch all the Marvel flicks in chronological order. ;)

Signed up for Regals new Unlimited plan last week,
Since they don't have much for AMC around here I've been thinking about this. Cinemark dominates the area outside of indie theaters but there is a Regal not far from me - though it's clear it will be closed in the mid-term future (owners of the property have gated the parking lot for over a year).

I've seen maybe two movies in theaters since I last successfully used MoviePass. I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, but part of that was all the silly quirks of using it along with this eerie feeling that while going to see some piece of crap movie I'd otherwise never see it would get declined. With Regal, can you buy tickets in advance? Because that would definitely make me use it more often. Also if it works with 3D and IMAX, the Regal near me has an IMAX screen.

Since they don't have much for AMC around here I've been thinking about this. Cinemark dominates the area outside of indie theaters but there is a Regal not far from me - though it's clear it will be closed in the mid-term future (owners of the property have gated the parking lot for over a year).

I've seen maybe two movies in theaters since I last successfully used MoviePass. I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, but part of that was all the silly quirks of using it along with this eerie feeling that while going to see some piece of crap movie I'd otherwise never see it would get declined. With Regal, can you buy tickets in advance? Because that would definitely make me use it more often. Also if it works with 3D and IMAX, the Regal near me has an IMAX screen.
You can do advance reservations through the app for .50 convenience fee. You can also do advance reservations at box office with no fee. IMAX and 3D are available with additional fee attached, I want to say 2 or 3 dollars. I too was a MoviePass junkie, until they started limiting pretty much everything and I dropped and went to sinemia for a time until they went under.

I give MoviePass and Sinemia credit for forcing AMC and now Regal to create there own subscription service. I imagine Cinemark wont be too far behind. The Regal Unlimited is great. It is a true unlimited. You can see 3 movies in one day if you wanted. You can even hold up to 3 advanced reservations at a time. It requires a year commitment but you can pay month to month. There is no discount for paying the year up front. If you have a nice Regal theater near you with reserved seating loungers I highly recommend it. I don’t really see IMAX and 3D so the additional fees for that don’t bother me.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You can do advance reservations through the app for .50 convenience fee. You can also do advance reservations at box office with no fee. IMAX and 3D are available with additional fee attached, I want to say 2 or 3 dollars. I too was a MoviePass junkie, until they started limiting pretty much everything and I dropped and went to sinemia for a time until they went under.

I give MoviePass and Sinemia credit for forcing AMC and now Regal to create there own subscription service. I imagine Cinemark wont be too far behind. The Regal Unlimited is great. It is a true unlimited. You can see 3 movies in one day if you wanted. You can even hold up to 3 advanced reservations at a time. It requires a year commitment but you can pay month to month. There is no discount for paying the year up front. If you have a nice Regal theater near you with reserved seating loungers I highly recommend it. I don’t really see IMAX and 3D so the additional fees for that don’t bother me.
I live down near Galt. My favorite local theater is down in Lodi, but a friend I go to movies with pretty often just moved from Elk Grove to the Pocket area and we have been going to the Regal theater in Delta Shores almost exclusively. It is probably my #2 favorite local theater (I like the seats in Lodi the best of all the local theaters [most comfortable for me], but Delta Shores is brand new and is also very nice).

I never jumped onto the MoviePass thing because (other than seeming like some kind of scam that wouldn't last) I would have to drive to the theater to get the free ticket, and that would cost me a few bucks in gas and an hour's worth of time for every movie (to reserve a seat for the opening weekend). It just wasn't worth the time or hassle. But this is definitely legit (sponsored by the theater itself) and if I can reserve seats online I may make the jump.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
My wife and I went to see Downton Abbey - they did an excellent job with it. Very good movie. If you liked the TV show at all check it out. If you didn't watch the TV show and are concerned that you would be lost, they run a short narrated montage at the beginning to establish the characters and major plot points. The entire cast did a fabulous job, and Maggie Smith was great, as always.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My wife and I went to see Downton Abbey - they did an excellent job with it. Very good movie. If you liked the TV show at all check it out. If you didn't watch the TV show and are concerned that you would be lost, they run a short narrated montage at the beginning to establish the characters and major plot points. The entire cast did a fabulous job, and Maggie Smith was great, as always.
How much time has passed between the end of the series and the movie?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Saw IT; Chapter 2

Outside of two deeply unpleasant scenes at the start the movie is a straight up comedy. New Pennywise isn’t scary in the least (Old one is so much more creepy) and Bill Hader is riffing and cracking jokes through the entire movie, even during supposed “scary” parts.

That said, I loved it. It just isn’t a horror movie. Felt the same about the first as well.