Potential draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Do you know where you read this? I hadn't seen Schofield listed in any of our workouts so far but I may have missed one. I'm a fan of him and would be interested to know if we really did work him out.
I have a list of every player that's been worked out by the Kings in Sacramento and Schofield isn't on that list. However, it's possible that the Kings may have had a representative at a joint workout by another team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, the second round picks for the Pacers (#50), Jazz (#53), and Warriors (#58) are behind two of our picks, so if teams think that 50-ish is Bowen's range, we ought to have a decent shot at him at #40 or #47 if we like him.

I guess the other possibility is that they're working him out for the late first round (wouldn't be the first time the mocks were all wrong!), in which case we've got no shot without a trade.

I'll be honest with you, I have Samanic at the top of my list now. He impressed the hell out of me and was clearly the best player on the floor in day one. I wished he had played on day two as well, but his agent probably told him he couldn't help his cause anymore than he just had, and could possibly hurt it.

My list in the order in which I would take them, if there is:

1. Luka Samanic: 6'11", SF/PF. Hey, at least we could quiet those that wanted a Luka on our team.
2. Dylan Windler: 6'7.5", SF, The only thing you can criticize about Windler is his age. Other than that, he's a good all around player who can really shoot it.
3. Darius Bazley: 6'9", SF, He played extremely well on day two, and my gut tells me this dude is 1st rd material.
4. Isaiah Roby: 6'8.5", SF/PF, Hustle guy who is always around the ball and shows promise as a 3 pr shooter. Great defender!!!!!
5. Ignas Brazdeikis: 6'7.25", SF, He has to improve his jumpshot, and slow down his game, but a lot of potential there.
6. Mfiondu Kabengele: 6'10.25", Center, We're talking a lot of potential here. His per 100 possession numbers are off the charts. 35 ppg and 16 rpg.
7. Admiral Schofield: 6'5.25", SG, Smart player with good athleticism who can shoot the three and play defense.
8. Nic Claxton: 6'11.75", C/PF, Needs to get stronger (understatement), but is a good rim protector, and shown the ability to shoot the three.
9. Jontay Porter: 6'11", PF/C, Very skilled big man who can shoot, pass, and rebound. However, he is an injury risk.
10. DaQuan Jeffries: 6'5", SG, Terrific defender with a huge wingspan. 8'8"standing reach. 3pt shot needs work, but could be future 3 and D player.
11. Chuma Okeke: 6'8", PF/SF, Was best player on the floor in the tournament until the injury. A bit of an injury risk, but I think he's 1st rd talent.
12. Jalen McDaniels: 6'9.75", SF, Skinny as a rail, but there's talent there. Just needs to become consistent.

I tried to suggest players I think would/could help the team, and players that I believe could be there when we pick. For instance Dort was suggested above, but I think he goes in the first round. I'm not a big fan of Franks, and he's a player I wanted to like, but man he was so inconsistent this season.
This is a great list. Really appreciate you taking the time to put it together and share it with us.
To be honest, I was only aware of 6 or 8 of these guys before. But now I've read up on and watched all of them. And it's all the more exciting because we clearly should be able to snatch two good players with the three 2nd round picks we have.
I'd also be willing to gamble (with one of our picks) and choose a high upside/injury risk player (like J Porter or C Okeke). So maybe they need extra time to rehab, strengthen and develop their bodies? No problem. We'll call it the Harry Giles blueprint.
The two players I would add to your list would be Marques Bolden and Brian Bowen. Or maybe they're among those who you believe will be gone before the 2nd round? Both I think would be good 2nd round choices.

I looked at nbadraft.net mock draft and Tacko isn't even on the list (to be drafted). What kind of world are we living in? If we can get Tacko for 60 that'd be great.
They tend to get lazy by the late first and second round and just throw names on the board and just base it on what Position they think the team needs. I think it has the best format of all the mock draft sites but I’m not impressed by their track record. Not really with predictions of who’s going where but with their player evaluations

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is a great list. Really appreciate you taking the time to put it together and share it with us.
To be honest, I was only aware of 6 or 8 of these guys before. But now I've read up on and watched all of them. And it's all the more exciting because we clearly should be able to snatch two good players with the three 2nd round picks we have.
I'd also be willing to gamble (with one of our picks) and choose a high upside/injury risk player (like J Porter or C Okeke). So maybe they need extra time to rehab, strengthen and develop their bodies? No problem. We'll call it the Harry Giles blueprint.
The two players I would add to your list would be Marques Bolden and Brian Bowen. Or maybe they're among those who you believe will be gone before the 2nd round? Both I think would be good 2nd round choices.
I think Bowen is a legit prospect. Not my number one guy of course, but he played well at the combine for what that's worth. Not so high on Bolden. He's a good athlete with great size etc. But when he got to Duke, he didn't know squat about how to play basketball, and he hasn't improved much in three years there. Think about this, with his size and physical ability, the most he could earn was 19 minutes a game after 3 years on the team. His per 36 number for rebounds is 8.

Hey, if the Kings want to offer him a two way and see if they can turn him into something I have no objection. but he's still trying to learn the game.

Actually, that wasn't my whole list, but I didn't want to overdo it. So, yes King is on my list of players. Most people probably don't realize that he missed the first part of the season recovering from an injury, and when he finally got the nod to play, he was obviously a bit rusty. Matter of fact, I was disappointed in his play early in the season. But as the season went on, he started to look like the five star player everyone thought he would be. You had to feel sorry for Oregon. They finally get King back, and productive, and they lose Bol Bol.

King played his first game on Dec 8th, and Bol Bol played his last game on Dec 12th. Who knows what kind of season the Duck's would have had if they had both players the entire year. King measured out well at the combine at 6'8" in shoes, and judging from the games he played at Oregon, and the results of the agility drills at the combine, his knee looks totally recovered. I'd want to see the medical reports though. After a slow start he ended up shooting around 38% from the three for the season, but he shot 44% from the three in his last ten games.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think King is 1st rd talent, and that some team will grab him in the 1st rd. If not, I'd be more than happy to have him on our team.

As to Samanic, from all the reports I'm reading around the league, he looks he's sure to be taken in the 1st rd. I disagree with you about him looking like a center. He has great ball skills and handles the ball like a SF. He's a very good athlete, and he really surprised me athletically. Personally I see him as a PF, or even a SF because of his ballhandling and passing ability. What really surprised me was his ability to defend. He got switched on to PG's, SG's and SF's and kept all of them in front of him.

This isn't your typical European player. He's an above average athlete with a very high skill level. As I said before, he was the best player on the floor and it wasn't even close. He looked like he was playing one game, and everyone else was playing another.

I'm hearing similar reports now about Okeke going in the first rd as well. Wouldn't surprise me, he's definitely 1st rd talent.
Yeah one mock draft had King falling to us. With so many guys in a bunch 20-40 someone is going to fall.

I didn’t make the Samanic comment but I agree we have to trade up to get him. A number of teams have 4-5 picks and might agree to trade.
He was listed at 6'5" without shoes. These are official measurements that your trying to argue with simply because you happen to think he's shorter. When you argue with facts, you lose me. How about this, you show me one official site that states Bog's is 6'4", and I'll show you 20 that list him at 6'6". Why were having this discussion is beyond me.
Because I have a picture of Bogs with my 6’ 5” son in New York and guess who is slightly taller?

First, I would think twice before using NBADraft.net as a reference. I think Schofield is better than average on defense, but then that's just my opinion. Second, I don't think you can put Brazdeikis and Schofield in the same category when judging them. Schofield went to Tennessee for four years, and Brazdeikis was a freshman last year.

I happen to agree that his defense needs to improve. But a lot of his problems stem from inexperience. Experience that Schofield has. Now if your picking Schofield to play the SF position, then I agree with you about lack of length. But he's fine for the SG position. So I would say that if you draft Schofield, what you see is what you get, for the most part. If you draft Brazdeikis, then your getting a developmental player that's going to require some time to reach his potential.
I would agree about Schofield as a back up shooting guard but we have that piece. At this point we are trying to fill holes.

I saw Bogie at Arden Mall a year and a half ago and he was tall but not like obvious basketball player tall. Looked to be 6'4" at most. Didn't even really stand out in the crowd. He did have abnormally long arms though.

I saw Bogie at Arden Mall a year and a half ago and he was tall but not like obvious basketball player tall. Looked to be 6'4" at most. Didn't even really stand out in the crowd. He did have abnormally long arms though.
Yeah, his dimensions are very Kawhi like. Wide shoulders and long arms. It's like somebody replaced their arms with their legs and vice versa.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah one mock draft had King falling to us. With so many guys in a bunch 20-40 someone is going to fall.

I didn’t make the Samanic comment but I agree we have to trade up to get him. A number of teams have 4-5 picks and might agree to trade.

Because I have a picture of Bogs with my 6’ 5” son in New York and guess who is slightly taller?
Maybe you need to remeasure your son...;) Hey, I'm just giving you the official measurements that are listed. Maybe their measuring tape was broken.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Eh, I think the Kings can live without the next Tiago Splitter then. ;)
I saw Splitter play a lot, and I wasn't high on him at all. However, I see nothing about Samanic that reminds me of Splitter. Samanic for one thing is a very aggressive player. Samanic is a very good ballhandler. Splitter wasn't. How many times have you seen Samanic play?

I saw Splitter play a lot, and I wasn't high on him at all. However, I see nothing about Samanic that reminds me of Splitter. Samanic for one thing is a very aggressive player. Samanic is a very good ballhandler. Splitter wasn't. How many times have you seen Samanic play?

The comment was more in relation to the Spurs scouting department in terms of their preferences at the big spot. I haven't watched him a ton, but have watched game footage. I did watch all his action at the combine not knowing how he was since he looked bigger. I didn't really see who was on what teams in the listings which I think gave me a different interpretation on him compared to what I had already seen. As a player prior to that I'd say he reminded me of what I saw from Dragan Bender but he looks more like a center version currently. I don't think he's as prolifically skilled as Bender looked coming into the NBA though and that's probably one of the reasons why he's a first round bubble player rather than a top 5 prospect.

I see Matt Mooney is starting to workout with teams. I really hope the Kings have him on their radar. He's not listed on any mocks I've seen which is criminal. This dude could be the steal of steals.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I see Matt Mooney is starting to workout with teams. I really hope the Kings have him on their radar. He's not listed on any mocks I've seen which is criminal. This dude could be the steal of steals.
Mooney has had an interesting college career. Playing for the Air Force, then South Dakota, and then Texas Tech. Pretty good shooter, and a pesky defender. I don't think he'll be drafted, but I'd sure like him as a two way player.

Mooney has had an interesting college career. Playing for the Air Force, then South Dakota, and then Texas Tech. Pretty good shooter, and a pesky defender. I don't think he'll be drafted, but I'd sure like him as a two way player.
Yeah. Sorry Matt, but I hope you don't impress. haha. I watched him the last few years and he's such a good player on both sides of the ball and built for todays league. He can run pick and roll and has the length to guard bigger players. Quite multidimensional.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nah just basketball measurements with shoes is like measuring women in high heels. It’s why I only post heights barefoot. :)
Let me know the next time you see some NBA players playing in their barefeet. You do know of course that all college measurements posted by their teams, and all measurements in the NBA posted by their teams are in shoes, right? But hey, enjoy being different...;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The comment was more in relation to the Spurs scouting department in terms of their preferences at the big spot. I haven't watched him a ton, but have watched game footage. I did watch all his action at the combine not knowing how he was since he looked bigger. I didn't really see who was on what teams in the listings which I think gave me a different interpretation on him compared to what I had already seen. As a player prior to that I'd say he reminded me of what I saw from Dragan Bender but he looks more like a center version currently. I don't think he's as prolifically skilled as Bender looked coming into the NBA though and that's probably one of the reasons why he's a first round bubble player rather than a top 5 prospect.
I think one of the reasons for being a bubble player is that Samanic has been inconsistent. He'll have a game where he looks like an all star, and then have a mediocre game. So in that respect he's been a bit of a tease. The thing is, he has shown the talent. I personally think he's one of those players that will excel in the NBA, where the game is a more freely moving game, and less restrictive. He's a far better athlete than Bender, who I hated, and wanted nothing to do with.

I remember the first time I saw Bender in summer league, and thought, my god, this dude is terrible. What a horrible draft for the Suns. Chriss and Bender. I wasn't high on either of them. Hey, I could be wrong about Samanic. I guess we'll see...

Any thoughts on Daniel Gafford of Arkansas...I just watched some film on him after reading A Royal Pain article stating the Kings could be wise to trade up for him.
Not a great shooter, he does look like a solid rim protector and has the speed to keep up with this team.
Little point if the Kings retain WCS, but possibly a solid compliment to Marvin and Harry.

Any thoughts on Daniel Gafford of Arkansas...I just watched some film on him after reading A Royal Pain article stating the Kings could be wise to trade up for him.
Not a great shooter, he does look like a solid rim protector and has the speed to keep up with this team.
Little point if the Kings retain WCS, but possibly a solid compliment to Marvin and Harry.
I don't think it makes sense in drafting a C who can't shoot or hasn't shown promise with his shot. Bagley needs a big next to him who can stretch the floor. Gafford doesn't give us that dynamic.

Cs I'd look to draft would be something like:
  • Bruno Fernando
  • Jontay Porter
  • Mfiondu Kabengele
  • Mamadi Diakite
  • Nicolas Claxton

There are a lot of players that I'm liking in the late 1st/2nd round this year. We could even make a couple salary dump trades to get a couple more picks. It could put us in a position to draft 4 players from a list like this:
  1. Admiral Schofield
  2. Dylan Windler
  3. Jalen McDaniels
  4. Louis King
  5. DaQuan Jeffries
  6. Darius Bazley
  7. Eric Paschall
  8. Isaiah Roby
  9. KZ Okpala
  10. Luka Samanic
  11. Chuma Okeke
  12. Grant Williams
  13. Bruno Fernando
  14. Jontay Porter
  15. Mamadi Diakite
  16. Mfiondu Kabengele
  17. Nicolas Claxton

Let me know the next time you see some NBA players playing in their barefeet. You do know of course that all college measurements posted by their teams, and all measurements in the NBA posted by their teams are in shoes, right? But hey, enjoy being different...;)
Yep and just about as reliable. My son-in-Law posted his height an inch shorter so people would underestimate him. Lol.

I only trust combine barefoot measurements.

There are a lot of players that I'm liking in the late 1st/2nd round this year. We could even make a couple salary dump trades to get a couple more picks. It could put us in a position to draft 4 players from a list like this:
  1. Admiral Schofield
  2. Dylan Windler
  3. Jalen McDaniels
  4. Louis King
  5. DaQuan Jeffries
  6. Darius Bazley
  7. Eric Paschall
  8. Isaiah Roby
  9. KZ Okpala
  10. Luka Samanic
  11. Chuma Okeke
  12. Grant Williams
  13. Bruno Fernando
  14. Jontay Porter
  15. Mamadi Diakite
  16. Mfiondu Kabengele
  17. Nicolas Claxton
Hoping one of Windler, King, Roby or Okpala falls to us.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hoping one of Windler, King, Roby or Okpala falls to us.
I agree, but I also would like to take a gamble on Darius Bazley. Lets not forget he was a top ten player coming out of highschool, who decided to go the Mitchell Robinson route. Not saying he'll be as successful as Robinson, but hey, were talking about the 2nd rd here. If there's ever a time to gamble on a player with potential, it's in the 2nd rd.

I agree, but I also would like to take a gamble on Darius Bazley. Lets not forget he was a top ten player coming out of highschool, who decided to go the Mitchell Robinson route. Not saying he'll be as successful as Robinson, but hey, were talking about the 2nd rd here. If there's ever a time to gamble on a player with potential, it's in the 2nd rd.
Yep I agree. I would like to take one of the 4 at 40 and Bazley at 45 with the hope one of them can be a rotation player at SF.

For our last pick I might look at Fall or Guy. It takes big men longer to gain their coordination and if Fall is there might be worth a gamble. Same with Guy’s shooting when paired with Bogi.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yep I agree. I would like to take one of the 4 at 40 and Bazley at 45 with the hope one of them can be a rotation player at SF.

For our last pick I might look at Fall or Guy. It takes big men longer to gain their coordination and if Fall is there might be worth a gamble. Same with Guy’s shooting when paired with Bogi.
Well if you read my mock draft in the prospects forum, you'll see I have the Kings taking Guy with the 60th pick. He measured out taller than expected, and he excelled in the athletic testing as well. Only needs to add about 15 Lbs of muscle. Then good to go! He's a lights out shooter from the three.

Well if you read my mock draft in the prospects forum, you'll see I have the Kings taking Guy with the 60th pick. He measured out taller than expected, and he excelled in the athletic testing as well. Only needs to add about 15 Lbs of muscle. Then good to go! He's a lights out shooter from the three.
The other kid is the Latvian point guard Zagars.

Fortunately all 5 of them Roby, King, Bazley, Windler and Okpala are all still in the draft.

Now it’s just a matter of one of them dropping to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.