Potential draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked to see the Kings small ball team coached like a small ball team last year. It's too hard to even know what they were honestly. Again, when Joerger went small he seemed to want to overpower teams even more which was such a WTF move.
True. But regardless Bogdan is a horrible small ball 3 as he is a poor rebounder and really is about 6’ 4”. It just highlights that the Kings had no one to put in the spot when moving Barnes to the 4.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
True. But regardless Bogdan is a horrible small ball 3 as he is a poor rebounder and really is about 6’ 4”. It just highlights that the Kings had no one to put in the spot when moving Barnes to the 4.
According to the now defunct DraftExpress measurements, Bog's is 6'6.35" in shoes. He has a 6'11" wingspan, and a 8'8.33" standing reach. That standing reach is the equivalent of many of the SF's in the league. Now we could have an argument over his ability to guard SF's, but, while his height isn't ideal, it's not as big a liability as suggested.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I'd make an argument for Jontay Porter with one of our 2nd rd picks. To be honest, the only thing I would be concerned about is his health. If not for that, he'd likely be a lottery pick this year. He might have been a lottery pick last year had he stayed in the draft. But there's no denying the risk. Bad health seems to run in the family. We all know about his brother and his problems, but it turns out both his sisters, great athletes in thier own right, have had their careers ended by injury.

It didn't help his stock that while he was rehabing from a torn ACL, he retore the ACL. That might be a first. Never heard of that happening before, but it's likely it did by players that were anxious to return, and pushed it too far. But the bottom line is that someone is going to draft him in the 2nd rd, likely in the area where we have two picks. So should we take the gamble and use one of them on him if he's still available. Lest you forgot how talented he is, here's a short video.

Porter was never an elite athlete, just a very skilled one. So one has to wonder how much of the athleticism he had has been lost. I'll leave it up the Kings to decide if he's worth the risk, but hey, were talking about a 2nd rd pick here, so the risk is more of how much money you spend on him in the way of salary, and medical rehab.

Last edited:
Well if this mock is correct Windler might be there as would Roby. Tako Fall would also be there as a flyer with the last pick.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/n...-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett-post-combine

The interesting question is the Nets willingness to trade 27 to keep salary cap space open. The Hawks or Sixers could be open to trades also if we want to jump early in the second.

If Schofield and Brazdeikis can both be had with where the Kings sit across their multiple picks and they don't take them then Vlade needs to seriously reconsider replacing his scouting department. They'd have a chance to get two ready out of the box combo F prospects to gamble on. Even if they failed that's a chance you take and not regret considering the NBA landscape.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Schofield and Brazdeikis can both be had with where the Kings sit across their multiple picks and they don't take them then Vlade needs to seriously reconsider replacing his scouting department. They'd have a chance to get two ready out of the box combo F prospects to gamble on. Even if they failed that's a chance you take and not regret considering the NBA landscape.
I think trying to nail this second round down to two prospects or bust seems quite a bit premature. There is a lot of intriguing depth in this draft, with at least a dozen names that are potentially (not certainly, but potentially) available at #40 that all have either a ton of upside or a very high floor. I mean, right now the list of guys I'm most intrigued by who could maybe be there at #40 is pretty long - here's 20, of which probably 10+ will still be around at our first pick:

Bazley
Bowen
Brazdeikis
M. Brown
Dort
Hands
King
Lecque
McDaniels
Norvell
Okeke
Paschall
J. Porter
Reid
Roby
Samanic
Schofield
Sirvydas
Wilkes
Windler

I just think that saying only two of these guys will determine the thumbs up/thumbs down on the scouting department is probably selling the back half of this draft short.

Ya that list is huge, its looking like we can nab a pretty solid player! maybe 2!

Porter drops dimes like Vlad and Brad.. I Love it.

I wonder what it would take to trade up for Thybulle..? Him and Fox could reke havoc on the defensive end..

Last edited:
I think trying to nail this second round down to two prospects or bust seems quite a bit premature. There is a lot of intriguing depth in this draft, with at least a dozen names that are potentially (not certainly, but potentially) available at #40 that all have either a ton of upside or a very high floor. I mean, right now the list of guys I'm most intrigued by who could maybe be there at #40 is pretty long - here's 20, of which probably 10+ will still be around at our first pick:

Bazley
Bowen
Brazdeikis
M. Brown
Dort
Hands
King
Lecque
McDaniels
Norvell
Okeke
Paschall
J. Porter
Reid
Roby
Samanic
Schofield
Sirvydas
Wilkes
Windler

I just think that saying only two of these guys will determine the thumbs up/thumbs down on the scouting department is probably selling the back half of this draft short.
Out of that list the only names I really like are the above two mentioned and maybe Paschall, Windler, Bowen, Roby is a maybe, and I doubt Reid is there but if he is, by all means gamble. Dort is interesting because he is a monster. I'd add Daquan Jeffries to that list. I even kind of like Robert Franks and Tyler Cook but I hardly see every player on that list as within the same range. You shouldn't be able to grab a wing like Schofield with his physical prowess in todays NBA climate at 40.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Out of that list the only names I really like are the above two mentioned and maybe Paschall, Windler, Bowen, Roby is a maybe, and I doubt Reid is there but if he is, by all means gamble. Dort is interesting because he is a monster. I'd add Daquan Jeffries to that list. I even kind of like Robert Franks and Tyler Cook but I hardly see every player on that list as within the same range. You shouldn't be able to grab a wing like Schofield with his physical prowess in todays NBA climate at 40.
I'll be honest with you, I have Samanic at the top of my list now. He impressed the hell out of me and was clearly the best player on the floor in day one. I wished he had played on day two as well, but his agent probably told him he couldn't help his cause anymore than he just had, and could possibly hurt it.

My list in the order in which I would take them, if there is:

1. Luka Samanic: 6'11", SF/PF. Hey, at least we could quiet those that wanted a Luka on our team.
2. Dylan Windler: 6'7.5", SF, The only thing you can criticize about Windler is his age. Other than that, he's a good all around player who can really shoot it.
3. Darius Bazley: 6'9", SF, He played extremely well on day two, and my gut tells me this dude is 1st rd material.
4. Isaiah Roby: 6'8.5", SF/PF, Hustle guy who is always around the ball and shows promise as a 3 pr shooter. Great defender!!!!!
5. Ignas Brazdeikis: 6'7.25", SF, He has to improve his jumpshot, and slow down his game, but a lot of potential there.
6. Mfiondu Kabengele: 6'10.25", Center, We're talking a lot of potential here. His per 100 possession numbers are off the charts. 35 ppg and 16 rpg.
7. Admiral Schofield: 6'5.25", SG, Smart player with good athleticism who can shoot the three and play defense.
8. Nic Claxton: 6'11.75", C/PF, Needs to get stronger (understatement), but is a good rim protector, and shown the ability to shoot the three.
9. Jontay Porter: 6'11", PF/C, Very skilled big man who can shoot, pass, and rebound. However, he is an injury risk.
10. DaQuan Jeffries: 6'5", SG, Terrific defender with a huge wingspan. 8'8"standing reach. 3pt shot needs work, but could be future 3 and D player.
11. Chuma Okeke: 6'8", PF/SF, Was best player on the floor in the tournament until the injury. A bit of an injury risk, but I think he's 1st rd talent.
12. Jalen McDaniels: 6'9.75", SF, Skinny as a rail, but there's talent there. Just needs to become consistent.

I tried to suggest players I think would/could help the team, and players that I believe could be there when we pick. For instance Dort was suggested above, but I think he goes in the first round. I'm not a big fan of Franks, and he's a player I wanted to like, but man he was so inconsistent this season.

I thought I'd make an argument for Jontay Porter with one of our 2nd rd picks. To be honest, the only thing I would be concerned about is his health. If not for that, he'd likely be a lottery pick this year. He might have been a lottery pick last year had he stayed in the draft. But there's no denying the risk. Bad health seems to run in the family. We all know about his brother and his problems, but it turns out both his sisters, great athletes in thier own right, have had their careers ended by injury.

It didn't help his stock that while he was rehabing from a torn ACL, he retore the ACL. That might be a first. Never heard of that happening before, but it's likely it did by players that were anxious to return, and pushed it too far. But the bottom line is that someone is going to draft him in the 2nd rd, likely in the area where we have two picks. So should we take the gamble and use one of them on him if he's still available. Lest you forgot how talented he is, here's a short video.

Porter was never an elite athlete, just a very skilled one. So one has to wonder how much of the athleticism he had has been lost. I'll leave it up the Kings to decide if he's worth the risk, but hey, were talking about a 2nd rd pick here, so the risk is more of how much money you spend on him in the way of salary, and medical rehab.
I'd absolutely take a shot at him with a 2nd round pick. Would be kind of stupid not to if he's available. I'll always roll the dice on injured first round talents.

I'll be honest with you, I have Samanic at the top of my list now. He impressed the hell out of me and was clearly the best player on the floor in day one. I wished he had played on day two as well, but his agent probably told him he couldn't help his cause anymore than he just had, and could possibly hurt it.

1. Luka Samanic: 6'11", SF/PF. Hey, at least we could quiet those that wanted a Luka on our team.
2. Dylan Windler: 6'7.5", SF, The only thing you can criticize about Windler is his age. Other than that, he's a good all around player who can really shoot it.
3. Darius Bazley: 6'9", SF, He played extremely well on day two, and my gut tells me this dude is 1st rd material.
4. Isaiah Roby: 6'8.5", SF/PF, Hustle guy who is always around the ball and shows promise as a 3 pr shooter. Great defender!!!!!
5. Ignas Brazdeikis: 6'7.25", SF, He has to improve his jumpshot, and slow down his game, but a lot of potential there.
6. Mfiondu Kabengele: 6'10.25", Center, We're talking a lot of potential here. His per 100 possession numbers are off the charts. 35 ppg and 16 rpg.
7. Admiral Schofield: 6'5.25", SG, Smart player with good athleticism who can shoot the three and play defense.
8. Nic Claxton: 6'11.75", C/PF, Needs to get stronger (understatement), but is a good rim protector, and shown the ability to shoot the three.
9. Jontay Porter: 6'11", PF/C, Very skilled big man who can shoot, pass, and rebound. However, he is an injury risk.
10. DaQuan Jeffries: 6'5", SG, Terrific defender with a huge wingspan. 8'8"standing reach. 3pt shot needs work, but could be future 3 and D player.
11. Chuma Okeke: 6'8", PF/SF, Was best player on the floor in the tournament until the injury. A bit of an injury risk, but I think he's 1st rd talent.
12. Jalen McDaniels: 6'9.75", SF, Skinny as a rail, but there's talent there. Just needs to become consistent.

I tried to suggest players I think would/could help the team, and players that I believe could be there when we pick. For instance Dort was suggested above, but I think he goes in the first round. I'm not a big fan of Franks, and he's a player I wanted to like, but man he was so inconsistent this season.
The only thing about Samanic, who did look good at the combine, is that he looks like a center to me. Or at least that's where he looks like his skill level and athletic ability will work for him, not against him. I wouldn't mind him but I do think he'll end up in the first. I keep going back to Kerrs statement about the Warriors having a hard time throwing a team of volleyball players out there against linebackers or whatever it was. There is something to be said for that and the Kings aren't really loaded with linebackers if at all at the moment and on that list the linebackers start about 5. Barnes does have some good size. I can totally see the Warriors snagging Schofield since they always seems to draft the players I want the Kings to draft whether before or after the Kings have made their selections. It's destined to happened and I did read he worked out for them haha.

I’m surprised Okeke isn’t higher and you don’t have Louis King on your list.

We will have to disagree. I don’t think they have the length or defense to be our pick. Schofield and Brazdeikas both are 6’ 9” wingspan and 8’ 6” standing reach.

Nbadraft.net
Schofield - ... Average defensive player …

NBA.com
Defence is a question mark for Brazdeikis and he’ll have to really compete to get to a league-average level.

According to the now defunct DraftExpress measurements, Bog's is 6'6.35" in shoes. He has a 6'11" wingspan, and a 8'8.33" standing reach. That standing reach is the equivalent of many of the SF's in the league. Now we could have an argument over his ability to guard SF's, but, while his height isn't ideal, it's not as big a liability as suggested.
Bogs would need thick soles to hit 6’ 6”.

Thanks for the list. It seems like there are a lot of intriguing prospects that may be available when we pick.

Considering that the draft doesn't look top half heavy. It seems this draft is more deep, with the right luck and scouting, we may be able to get a player at 40, 47 or 60 that may be as good or better than someone we would had taken at #14.

I wonder if it would be worth it to package two of our 2nd round picks (i.e. 40 and 60 or 40 and 47) to move up higher in the 2nd round to get a targeted player i.e. Luka S.?

Last edited:
The only thing about Samanic, who did look good at the combine, is that he looks like a center to me. Or at least that's where he looks like his skill level and athletic ability will work for him, not against him. I wouldn't mind him but I do think he'll end up in the first. I keep going back to Kerrs statement about the Warriors having a hard time throwing a team of volleyball players out there against linebackers or whatever it was. There is something to be said for that and the Kings aren't really loaded with linebackers if at all at the moment and on that list the linebackers start about 5. Barnes does have some good size. I can totally see the Warriors snagging Schofield since they always seems to draft the players I want the Kings to draft whether before or after the Kings have made their selections. It's destined to happened and I did read he worked out for them haha.
Do you know where you read this? I hadn't seen Schofield listed in any of our workouts so far but I may have missed one. I'm a fan of him and would be interested to know if we really did work him out.

We will have to disagree. I don’t think they have the length or defense to be our pick. Schofield and Brazdeikas both are 6’ 9” wingspan and 8’ 6” standing reach.

Nbadraft.net

NBA.com
Defence is a question mark for Brazdeikis and he’ll have to really compete to get to a league-average level.
Their length isn't that bad. Everyone gets so caught up in length and height at todays wing position. Relative to their heights they have plenty of length. The players you are seeing struggle on the wing now are the long bean poles like Justin Jackson who the Kings gave plenty of run to. Go ask Steve Kerr about the length vs. strength battle he saw in the 2nd round. PJ Tucker has similar dimensions and he played some center in the playoffs. Jimmy Butler has almost no length at all and he's one of the best 2 way players in the league. Justise Winslow has similar dimensions and he can defend almost anyone. The thing about defense is if the player has the athletic ability all they need is the willingness when you have size and strength like they do. I think Schofield can become a fine defender and Brazdeikis could be a very solid defender. It doesn't matter anyway, the playoffs are showing that conventional defense for the most part is dead. Capela again got expelled from the rotation at times and should have more honestly. The one thing that's showing even a bit of resistance is the physicality of a player that has the coordination and athletic ability to match up across multiple positions physically, while being able to handle and shoot on the other end. Those "huge" SF's are no longer SF's, they are PF's if not C's in many games now. The Bucks also have a few smaller, but big bodied players they use very often in Malcom Brogdan and Pat Connaughton not to mention their tank of a PG in Eric Bledsoe. Obviously not all players are the same but right now bulk matters if you know how to use it.

Do you know where you read this? I hadn't seen Schofield listed in any of our workouts so far but I may have missed one. I'm a fan of him and would be interested to know if we really did work him out.
Not Sac, the Warriors. It was on hoopshype. Apparently they worked out both he and his teammate Grant Williams.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2019/5...-warriors-2019-nba-draft-tennessee-basketball

Kerr will probably get his wish. He wants a lineman, well, Schofield might be your answer.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I’m surprised Okeke isn’t higher and you don’t have Louis King on your list.
Actually, that wasn't my whole list, but I didn't want to overdo it. So, yes King is on my list of players. Most people probably don't realize that he missed the first part of the season recovering from an injury, and when he finally got the nod to play, he was obviously a bit rusty. Matter of fact, I was disappointed in his play early in the season. But as the season went on, he started to look like the five star player everyone thought he would be. You had to feel sorry for Oregon. They finally get King back, and productive, and they lose Bol Bol.

King played his first game on Dec 8th, and Bol Bol played his last game on Dec 12th. Who knows what kind of season the Duck's would have had if they had both players the entire year. King measured out well at the combine at 6'8" in shoes, and judging from the games he played at Oregon, and the results of the agility drills at the combine, his knee looks totally recovered. I'd want to see the medical reports though. After a slow start he ended up shooting around 38% from the three for the season, but he shot 44% from the three in his last ten games.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think King is 1st rd talent, and that some team will grab him in the 1st rd. If not, I'd be more than happy to have him on our team.

As to Samanic, from all the reports I'm reading around the league, he looks he's sure to be taken in the 1st rd. I disagree with you about him looking like a center. He has great ball skills and handles the ball like a SF. He's a very good athlete, and he really surprised me athletically. Personally I see him as a PF, or even a SF because of his ballhandling and passing ability. What really surprised me was his ability to defend. He got switched on to PG's, SG's and SF's and kept all of them in front of him.

This isn't your typical European player. He's an above average athlete with a very high skill level. As I said before, he was the best player on the floor and it wasn't even close. He looked like he was playing one game, and everyone else was playing another.

I'm hearing similar reports now about Okeke going in the first rd as well. Wouldn't surprise me, he's definitely 1st rd talent.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bogs would need thick soles to hit 6’ 6”.
He was listed at 6'5" without shoes. These are official measurements that your trying to argue with simply because you happen to think he's shorter. When you argue with facts, you lose me. How about this, you show me one official site that states Bog's is 6'4", and I'll show you 20 that list him at 6'6". Why were having this discussion is beyond me.

Good, the Kings are finally getting some names in I can get interested in. I like Bowen. He's another light in the cakes type but he makes up for it with tenacity. Him playing in the ultra physical Australian league did him wonders.
I looked at nbadraft.net mock draft and Tacko isn't even on the list (to be drafted). What kind of world are we living in? If we can get Tacko for 60 that'd be great.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Nbadraft.net

NBA.com
First, I would think twice before using NBADraft.net as a reference. I think Schofield is better than average on defense, but then that's just my opinion. Second, I don't think you can put Brazdeikis and Schofield in the same category when judging them. Schofield went to Tennessee for four years, and Brazdeikis was a freshman last year.

I happen to agree that his defense needs to improve. But a lot of his problems stem from inexperience. Experience that Schofield has. Now if your picking Schofield to play the SF position, then I agree with you about lack of length. But he's fine for the SG position. So I would say that if you draft Schofield, what you see is what you get, for the most part. If you draft Brazdeikis, then your getting a developmental player that's going to require some time to reach his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.