C/PF off season discussion

But throwing around max offers like candy in previous offseasons does. The good news for Sacramento is that Vlade has some time to work with before getting over that comfortable cap level becomes an issue. If they are less aggressive this summer after being fairly aggressive the last two I'll be a little less confident in Viveks willingness to spend big because this is likely their last shot at not having to subtract in order to add.
Good point. No, the Vivek regime has not paid the luxury tax yet. But, frankly, they haven’t had any reason to. You could say finances weighed on the Cousins trade, but I think their decision to pass on the super max extension for him has shown to be prudent (as an aside, it seems like the super max deals have rarely aged well for teams).

As you point out, Vlade has had authorization to make big money offers to guys like Wes Matthews, Otto Porter, and Zach LaVine. It’s possible ownership balks at paying the luxury tax when the time comes. But here, where fans are trying to dream up a contender in TDOS, I’m not going to assume anything without more evidence for concern.

I really feel like we're going to miss WCS when we get a dinosaur big who can't defend the perimeter. I remember there was a couple of games where Willie was out or whatever, but our bigs looked really bad without him.
Yes, Willie is actually a pretty good perimeter defender. He won’t block many shots, but he will definitely chase down a player, no matter if they're a big or a guard and harass them on their shot attempt.

I don’t think Willie is as bad as a lot of people say on this board. I think why people are so frustrated with him, is that he seems to lose focus during the games and forget to box out and secure the rebounds and doesn't block many shots. I think our perimeter defense will be worse without him.

I’m not ready to write Willie off just yet as a King. I think it all depends on how Luke views him and what he thinks he can do with him in his schemes. It will probably come down to how much WCS commands in free agency. I expect we will give him a qualifying and see what happens.

If we can get a viable replacement, we will remove the qualifying offer. If we can’t get a good center in free agency, we may just wait it out and Willie may opt to sign the qualifying offer (if he doesn’t get a big time offer) hoping to increase his value the following summer.

Last edited:
Derrick Favors looks like he's easily the most mobile and lean he's beeen in maybe 3-4 years... He is country strong and he's also very good defensively. He's been clutch for Utah in the playoffs whenever they make it too.

If the price is right he could be a steal. Excellent team guy too. Super low-key.
You might be right, Favors provides what this team is hoping iy can get from a Jordan singing at likely a reduced price. Plus, Favors seems to have a better motor and less drama that would come with him

Last edited:
Favors is kind of meh in my book. Solid, but not a needle mover. Also with Utah you always have to wonder what that system is doing for him production wise. They run pick and roll like the Kings should but with Walton coming in I'm not sure if the Kings are going to fully buy into that.

Starting to hear rumblings that Adams will be the fall guy for OKC’s postseason woes. Adams would be amazing on the Kings, IMO. I have no idea what it would take to get him via trade though. I’m sure they’d ask for Giles, which would be a hard pass. Bogi?

Starting to hear rumblings that Adams will be the fall guy for OKC’s postseason woes. Adams would be amazing on the Kings, IMO. I have no idea what it would take to get him via trade though. I’m sure they’d ask for Giles, which would be a hard pass. Bogi?
It should be noted that other teams wont see Harry as a 5 man like the Kings. If Harry and some filler is all it takes to get Adams, thats a no-brainer. Then you retain Willie too.....

Yes, Willie is actually a pretty good perimeter defender. He won’t block many shots, but he will definitely chase down a player, no matter if they're a big or a guard and harass them on their shot attempt.

I don’t think Willie is as bad as a lot of people say on this board. I think why people are so frustrated with him, is that he seems to lose focus during the games and forget to box out and secure the rebounds and doesn't block many shots. I think our perimeter defense will be worse without him.

I’m not ready to write Willie off just yet as a King. I think it all depends on how Luke views him and what he thinks he can do with him in his schemes. It will probably come down to how much WCS commands in free agency. I expect we will give him a qualifying and see what happens.

If we can get a viable replacement, we will remove the qualifying offer. If we can’t get a good center in free agency, we may just wait it out and Willie may opt to sign the qualifying offer (if he doesn’t get a big time offer) hoping to increase his value the following summer.

Why would we ever remove the qualifying offer???? that doesnt make any sense at all.. You're saying you wouldnt want the opportunity for Willie to play one more seasonhere at $6.25MM salary????? when we have no big deals on the books? c'mon now, type of thing that makes we want to ask; did you actually watch the kings this season? but i know ya did --- i'm mystified. We paid Z-Bo 10 million to NOT play this year lolololol...

sry to call you out but add this to a list of about 10,000 nonsensical backhanded compliment posts about WCS, which usually follow the same format; [point out some good things willie does] [overvalue harry]{demonstrate you think willie's expendable] [make an absurd lowball comment/impication about his next contract that will age about as well as a galon of milk outside in justa few months]...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would we ever remove the qualifying offer???? that doesnt make any sense at all.. You're saying you wouldnt want the opportunity for Willie to play one more seasonhere at $6.25MM salary????? when we have no big deals on the books? c'mon now, type of thing that makes we want to ask; did you actually watch the kings this season? but i know ya did --- i'm mystified.

sry to call you out but add this to a list of about 10,000 nonsensical backhanded compliment posts about WCS, which usually follow the same format; [point out some good things willie does] [overvalue harry]{demonstrate you think willie's expendable] [make an absurd lowball comment/impication about his next contract that will age about as well as a galon of milk outside in justa few months]...
Read my whole post. I said if we find a good replacement for Willie, we would remove our qualifying offer. HELLO, if we sign someone like Vucevic or Brook Lopez, we are not going to hold Willie hostage, Vlade does not operate like that.

So if we sign Willie's replacement at starting center, to a big money contract, you wouldn't allow WCS to sign somewhere else? We will also need his salary hold to sign other positions of need too. Your post makes no sense, if you actually read my whole post.

Last edited:
So Vucevic went 5/14 for 11points with 5 boards last night... The best big guy in this series is Pascal Siakam..

Paying this guy 30 mil would be Boston signing Hayward to be 6th highest paid player in the league levels of volatility. No thanks. The guy isnt a match here... You're gonna take the ball out of Marvin's hands and give it to him ???? LOL at that, simply not gonna happen.

He's 18 FG's / 48FGA's so far in 4 games.

Last edited:
So Vucevic went 5/14 for 11points with 5 boards last night... The best big guy in this series is Pascal Siakam..

Paying this guy 30 mil would be Boston signing Hayward to be 6th highest paid player in the league levels of volatility. No thanks. The guy isnt a match here... You're gonna take the ball out of Marvin's hands and give it to him ???? LOL at that, simply not gonna happen.

I agree. Vuc is not worth a max deal imo

What are you talking about? Who said that we are going to max Vucevic?

My response was to your prior post that you wouldn't remove the QO on Willie for any reason.

Whoever Vlade targets to be his starting center next year, whether it be WCS or someone else, once Vlade decides one way or the other on WCS, he's not going to hold WCS hostage, if he signs a new starting center.

You assertion on your other post was that no matter what, you wouldn't remove the QO on WCS, because he is an asset.

My assertion is that once Vlade makes a decision, one way or the other on Willie, he will not hold the QO over Willie. There is nothing in Vlade's past dealings with players, that suggests he would keep a QO over a free agent, if he chose to go a different direction and signed someone else to replace him.

The jury is still out if Vlade wants to re-sign Willie or not, but once Vlade decides, I don't see him holding the QO over Willie's head, if Vlade decides to go a different direction at starting center.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Vucevic is what a lot of us who have watched him over the years know all ready and that is a solid 3rd or 4th option...on Orlando he is being used as the number one and that's just not the type of player he is. There will be a team out there to throw him the max deal and that will be a big mistake if he is being used as THE guy or second fiddle.

It should be noted that other teams wont see Harry as a 5 man like the Kings. If Harry and some filler is all it takes to get Adams, thats a no-brainer. Then you retain Willie too.....
Why would we ever remove the qualifying offer???? that doesnt make any sense at all.. You're saying you wouldnt want the opportunity for Willie to play one more seasonhere at $6.25MM salary????? when we have no big deals on the books? c'mon now, type of thing that makes we want to ask; did you actually watch the kings this season? but i know ya did --- i'm mystified. We paid Z-Bo 10 million to NOT play this year lolololol...

Do we have a WCS apologist here?!

WCS dislike stems from a number of things:

1. Inconsistency. Someone with the tools he has and the opportunity he was given must be more consistent
2. His vision of himself as a player is very different to reality. He is someone that compares himself to the unicorns of the competition. Confidence is great, delusion is not especially when its impacting what the team needs you to do. WCS wants more shots, more offensive freedom but he does not have the skill to back it up
3. His prima donna attitude is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. He stunk it up after the all-star break because his "hommies" (Shumpert and JJ) got traded. Where is the professionalism? This attitude is the exact same reason why he would be the first one to complain at the detriment of the team if he was to come off the bench.

Now the reason why you would consider NOT tabling the qualifying offer is because there is over $14 million of cap hold associated with the qualifying offer. That is the money that Kings cannot use until WCS signs or is renounced. That could go on for the whole summer. Some team is going to overpay for him believing that it will click with WCS and that they can get him to focus on becoming something he so obviously should be but he doesn't want to be. I certainly don't want that team to be the Kings. By not putting a qualifying offer in front of WCS, it means that there is additional $14 million of cap space to play with. Cap space that is available straight again and its not dependent on what WCS decides to do. It doesn't stop the Kings from actually signing WCS when its all said and done but it frees up valuable cap space that could be used in a more productive manner during FA. If WCS sits there with a qualifying offer all summer, thinking that a team that misses out on a big name signing will offer him a huge deal, it puts Kings at the disadvantage as they have some $14 million less to play with in FA.

What I do think will happen is Kings putting a QO in front of WCS but still looking for a C in the FA. Once they agree to a deal with someone, then they simply pull the QO and regain that cap space. One thing is almost certain and that is that WCS will not be back next season. Too much "baggage" and "attitude" that is not constructive to the team and where we need to go. Bobby Jackson could start for a number of teams out there during his prime years with the Kings and I am sure he would have loved to have been a starter but he was professional in the way he was always the 6th man for this team and his attitude or desire to start never impacted the team. I am not sure WCS would have the same approach. He is already talking how he is underutilized offensively and he has a lot more to offer. I am sorry, how about you go out there and do the things that you are expected to do to help the team win and not worry about how you are not getting more looks. You want to get paid?! Go out there and do what Clint Capela does. Go out there and do what Andrew Drummond does each night and I guarantee you you will get a MAX contract. That my friend is a problem with WCS. It's all about him and not much about the team.

I really feel like we're going to miss WCS when we get a dinosaur big who can't defend the perimeter. I remember there was a couple of games where Willie was out or whatever, but our bigs looked really bad without him.
Here's my challenge to this argument though. Look at all the playoffs teams and answer the following questions:
1. Is their PG a better defender than Fox is/will be in the near future?
2. Are their wing players significantly better defenders than Buddy/Barnes?
3. Is their center as mobile and adept at defending the perimeter as WCS? On the flip side, what does their center bring that WCS doesn't?

Question 2 is debatable, but most on this board at least would say no to 1 and 3. In which case my question is, why then do you think we need the skillset WCS brings that much?

Here's my challenge to this argument though. Look at all the playoffs teams and answer the following questions:
1. Is their PG a better defender than Fox is/will be in the near future?
2. Are their wing players significantly better defenders than Buddy/Barnes?
3. Is their center as mobile and adept at defending the perimeter as WCS? On the flip side, what does their center bring that WCS doesn't?

Question 2 is debatable, but most on this board at least would say no to 1 and 3. In which case my question is, why then do you think we need the skillset WCS brings that much?
One of our biggest problems last year was that our guards easily got beat off the dribble which forced Willie to step out to the perimeter a lot to help. Think of all the times opposing guards blew Fox, Bogdan, and Buddy right to the rim. WCS was the cog who was forced to play out into the perimeter, while also being forced to run back and protect the rim in time. I personally think that's why his block numbers are so bad. He was constantly out of position/place when he had to protect the rim.

Think of how many centers who would actually be able to come out to the perimeter and help as much as the team needed. A solution would be to look for a rim protector who camps under the basket when our guards get beat. That's a possibility, but it wouldn't address our poor perimeter defense. It would mean we'd need to add a defensive wing to our team..but in place of who? Buddy? Bogdan?

Looking through all 10 pages of this topic, our options don't sound too great. Most mentioned are backup bigs who are only available because they aren't that good. Then the other ones being mentioned are older centers who are out of their prime. Finally, you have the good offensive centers who are putrid on defense.

I do think some of those guys are better than WCS, but almost none are better guarding out on the perimeter and running the floor.

One of our biggest problems last year was that our guards easily got beat off the dribble which forced Willie to step out to the perimeter a lot to help. Think of all the times opposing guards blew Fox, Bogdan, and Buddy right to the rim. WCS was the cog who was forced to play out into the perimeter, while also being forced to run back and protect the rim in time. I personally think that's why his block numbers are so bad. He was constantly out of position/place when he had to protect the rim.

Think of how many centers who would actually be able to come out to the perimeter and help as much as the team needed. A solution would be to look for a rim protector who camps under the basket when our guards get beat. That's a possibility, but it wouldn't address our poor perimeter defense. It would mean we'd need to add a defensive wing to our team..but in place of who? Buddy? Bogdan?

Looking through all 10 pages of this topic, our options don't sound too great. Most mentioned are backup bigs who are only available because they aren't that good. Then the other ones being mentioned are older centers who are out of their prime. Finally, you have the good offensive centers who are putrid on defense.

I do think some of those guys are better than WCS, but almost none are better guarding out on the perimeter and running the floor.
But therein lies my point. Thing is, many feel that Fox is a good, quick defensive PG, and if that's the case you shouldn't be investing in a big whose main talent is guarding the perimeter. IMO it's more about buy-in and scheme for our team

I have never seen a Center EVER EVER EVER run around with the speed of Willie and then have to look at a forum full of apparently blind people claiming he doesnt give effort..... Willie obviously gives way more effort than all of those people do at their jobs when their on the clock. You'll tell me i'm wrong about that though. Willie is out running world class athletes but "gives no effort"... You guys have the perspective of foolish fans if you think he gives no effort, and frankly your ability to gauge the enegery of the players on the court with your eyes is POOR if you've concluded that.

I am not just an apologist, I am the guy whos gonna raise hell here once Willie is re-signed...

...I am 31 years old and retired, been across this globe many times, one thing im sure of is this whole planet would be a much better place if everyone "ran the floor" as hard as willie does when its game-time.

Can we all just remember the detroit pistons gamethread when everyone was hyping up Drummonds rebounding SOOOOO much and talking crap about willie and then he balled on him???

Does Willie not hold court fairly well vs Anthony Davis?

Look at the games vs Utah. The 2 we had Willie (1 win - 1 loss both close) vs 1 absolute spanking without him.

The ultimate "why the anti-willie crowd is misguided" thing should be something basic and straightforward, and somethign that should be celebrated here, but instead it's like an elephant in the room that "the willie haters" dont want to talk about is;

OUR 21 year old franchise PG's favorite passing target is WILLIE....

I have never seen a Center EVER EVER EVER run around with the speed of Willie and then have to look at a forum full of apparently blind people claiming he doesnt give effort..... Willie obviously gives way more effort than all of those people do at their jobs when their on the clock. You'll tell me i'm wrong about that though. Willie is out running world class athletes but "gives no effort"... You guys have the perspective of foolish fans if you think he gives no effort, and frankly your ability to gauge the enegery of the players on the court with your eyes is POOR if you've concluded that.

I am not just an apologist, I am the guy whos gonna raise hell here once Willie is re-signed...

...I am 31 years old and retired, been across this globe many times, one thing im sure of is this whole planet would be a much better place if everyone "ran the floor" as hard as willie does when its game-time.

Can we all just remember the detroit pistons gamethread when everyone was hyping up Drummonds rebounding SOOOOO much and talking crap about willie and then he balled on him???

Does Willie not hold court fairly well vs Anthony Davis?

Look at the games vs Utah. The 2 we had Willie (1 win - 1 loss both close) vs 1 absolute spanking without him.

The ultimate "why the anti-willie crowd is misguided" thing should be something basic and straightforward, and somethign that should be celebrated here, but instead it's like an elephant in the room that "the willie haters" dont want to talk about is;

OUR 21 year old franchise PG's favorite passing target is WILLIE....
...Quite frankly, you have typed a whole heap of fluff and not addressed a single concern that was raised in my post above. Not one. Is WCS inconsistent? Is he the one that has been complaining the most this season whether its to do with his role or the trades? Has he been the one at the start of the season saying how he wants to get paid and then proceed to put in yet another inconsistent year together?

Do you know why people are frustrated? Its because they see the same world class athlete that you do. The same long dude who should be a manace on the floor on the opposition.......but he is not. You don't know what you are going to get out of his from game to game. He floats in and out of games. That is the frustrating part. He has the potential to be a perennial all-defensive team big which would make him into a perennial all-star but he is not interested. He wants to be the go to guy. Talk about delusional. There is absolutely no reason why WCS cannot be a better version of Ben Wallace but he is not interested in being that. He wants to be a Porzingis, a KAT type player. Sorry but are you telling me that is not delusional?

WCS talked the talk prior to the season but he once again didn't walk the walk. He took his inconsistency to another level after the All-Star break. With that his complaining went up. It's funny you talk about chemistry but don't even foresee the issues if or more likely when WCS is replaced in the starting line up and is reduced to a bench role. Do you think he will be a positive impact on chemistry then?

The lobs are getting thrown to Bagley and Giles too. Its a play that we go to. WCS is longer and just as athletic if not more athletic than Bagley and Giles (definitely) so it makes sense that he is a lob target (it really the only way he can reliably score). Bagley and Giles get the lobs too.....its part of the play set.

If WCS can consistently give me 12ppg, 10+rpg, 3apg, 1.5bpg and 1.5spg (which in reality should be his stat line), then I am more than happy to keep him around. More than happy but for 3 years he has shown us no improvement in consistency despite a significant increase in minutes and role within the team.

We don't want to rebuild the team. We want to improve it so that we do become a perennial play off team and a contender and if we are brutally honest, C is our weakest link going forward. WCS had all the opportunities in the world from the moment DMC was traded yet failed to capitalize on them and remove any doubt. Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley are not getting moved. You can write that in pen. WCS is the one that quite clearly is the odd man out. When he is on, he is exactly what the team needs but his problem has always been that he is not always on. It's been the question mark on his since his draft year and he has done nothing in 4 years to remove that question mark. Larry Bird said WCS could be a $100 million player and I say, yes he could in the best case scenario that quite clearly has not happened.

WCS would not be starting for any play off team out there. Why should he be our hope there when he has nothing to put the position beyond doubt like the rest of his team mates.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WCS played very good perimeter defense last year, overall. Interior D? Not so much. Getting back on defense? Horrid. The prior season (with the slowest paced team in the NBA) he was lazy getting back on defense. Last season he was lazy getting back on defense. After the opposing team gets a defensive rebound he'll have a few words with the refs on some imaginary unfairness, stop and look at the guy with the defensive rebound for a while (Do a kodak moment, Willie!), then jog up the floor. You're supposed to put your head down and sprint to the defensive end. Not Willie. It's just garbage. The other Kings' players are sprinting back on D and WCS is taking his warm-up jog. But he will put the after-burners on when it comes to the offensive end so he can get those easy layups.

How many times this season did WCS sprint back on defense with his amazing speed and block a shot at the defensive end? Did he do it once? We sure can remember our point guard doing it. What about WCS? Let's commemorate it on this board if it happened once. It may never happen again. It's ridiculous that a guy with his speed and height shouldn't be able to get at least a handful of those plays during the course of a season. But not WCS. He's got to rest getting back on defense because he's got to save himself for his tremendous offensive display.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

When you look at a player you can look at his pluses, or his minuses. For whatever reason, a lot of people on this forum tend to focus totally on his minuses. Defense happens to be one of the areas people criticize, and yet, Willie has the lowest defensive rating on the team, meaning he's rated as the best defender on the team. No, he's not the shotblocker people would like him to be, and in about one of 5 or 6 games, he seems to be on a different planet.

Frankly, for the right price, I'd like to see him stick around just to see how he'll operate under a different head coach. I'm sure there has been some conversation between the Kings and Willie's agent. So I would guess the Kings already have an idea of what he's looking for, and whether they want to consider it or not. He has a 14 mil cap hold, so if they make him a qualifying offer, I would expect it to be resolved one way or the other rather quickly once freeagency starts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

While I agree that Vucevic is not a max salary guy, I also don't base the value of a player on one game. And I know you don't either. Everyone has a bad night, and if your in the playoffs for the first time, it's a bit of an awakening.

When I think about Bagley's skillset & the age of our core, there are only a few players out there that seem like long term fits next to Bagley:

Kristaps Porzingis
  • 23 years old
  • Has the height & length to play C (7'1" w/o shoes / 7'6" wingspan / 240 lbs)
  • Excellent shot blocker (3.7 blks per 100 possessions)
  • Mobility for a big is good (can fare well defending the perimeter & running the floor)
  • Excellent shooter (.395 3PT% on 7.3 3PA per 100 possessions / .793 FT%)

Myles Turner
  • 22 years old
  • Has the height & length to play C (6'9.75" w/o shoes / 7'4" wingspan / 9'4" standing reach / 239 lbs)
  • Excellent shot blocker (4.6 blks per 100 possessions)
  • Mobility for a big is decent (can fare well defending the perimeter & running the floor)
  • Great shooter (.388 3PT% on 4.5 3PA per 100 possessions / .736 FT%)
  • Decent rebounder (12.3 rebs per 100 possessions)

Jaren Jackson
  • 19 years old
  • Has the height & length to play C (6'9.75" w/o shoes / 7'5.25" wingspan / 9'2" standing reach / 236 lbs)
  • Great shot blocker (2.7 blks per 100 possessions)
  • Mobility for a big is good (can fare well defending the perimeter & running the floor)
  • Good shooter (.359 3PT% on 4.7 3PA per 100 possessions / .766 FT%)

Zach Collins
  • 21 years old
  • Has the height & length to play C (6'10.25" w/o shoes / 7'1" wingspan / 9'3" standing reach / 232 lbs)
  • Great shot blocker (2.4 blks per 100 possessions)
  • Promising shooter (.331 3PT% on 4.3 3PA per 100 possessions / .746 FT%)
  • Decent rebounder (11.6 rebs per 100 possessions)

Then you have a couple guys in the draft that could fit the mold as well. Guys like Fernando & Bol Bol look to be good shot blockers, rebounders, & shooters (while having the size to play C).

Of the four players I mentioned above, Jackson is likely unattainable. Memphis is in love with him and I don't know that we'd have anything to offer them that would make sense for both sides. We can offer Porzingis the max this summer, but there may be other teams doing the same thing and he could just sign their offer sheet (and this is if Dallas wouldn't match a max offer sheet which I think they would considering they just traded for him). So Porzingis is likely a long shot too. That leaves Turner and Collins. The Pacers already have Sabonis as a cheaper replacement and the Blazers already have Nurkic at C. There may be a deal that could be made. If not, perhaps we look to trade into the 1st round to target one of Fernando or Bol Bol.