Luka Doncic - performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah cause the guy with 'Defense Matters' in his signature clearly needs to be reminded that there's more to bball than scoring. :rolleyes: You're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

If you had actually watched the game, nothing you said is true anyway. He got a key stop on LeBron down the stretch, passed to Barnes on the wing for an open three which cut the lead and then knocked down the shot that tied the game.
Okay -- here's another angle -- he was once one of the best. He isn't any more. I react when people talk about him as if he is STILL a top-tier talent. He isn't.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Okay -- here's another angle -- he was once one of the best. He isn't any more. I react when people talk about him as if he is STILL a top-tier talent. He isn't.
He got old. Happens to all of us. He's still going to be in the Hall of Fame though. Also, I totally missed that you were talking about Melo the first time. I blame the tiny text on my phone.

He got old. Happens to all of us. He's still going to be in the Hall of Fame though. Also, I totally missed that you were talking about Melo the first time. I blame the tiny text on my phone.
Thanks for that. I think I just got tired about all the hype about how Melo was going to make the Knicks great again. The New York press still doesn't understand that the rest of the country cares as much about the Knicks as the rest of the country cares about the Kings. LeBron showed he can carry a team to the finals by himself; Melo never came close.

Thanks for that. I think I just got tired about all the hype about how Melo was going to make the Knicks great again. The New York press still doesn't understand that the rest of the country cares as much about the Knicks as the rest of the country cares about the Kings. LeBron showed he can carry a team to the finals by himself; Melo never came close.
Had to do with melo beings a selfish black hole that played no defense

I bring up Reke a lot, not to bash him, but to keep perspective of what happens when a team loses focus on the big picture to sell a player. It became so damned important to the FO (and to be fair, many of us fans) to get a ROY, to get that silly 20-5-5 achievement, no matter how forced it was, that his future development and the success of the team as a whole fell by the wayside. This is compounded by the fact that his body wasn't ready and we wore him down, which hampered development the remainder of his time with the club and the burden that this season created for all future expectations.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of a club destroying a player's potential than what we did to Reke.

I have no idea how any of this may relate to Doncic however. And as someone who has no feelings towards the Mavs I also don't care. I do however like the approach this team has taken with it's recent picks and I think it gives them time to blossom and develop complete games while also shying away from bad habits that can't be unlearned.
I'm not sure how much you've followed his career but while we certainly did him no favours I really think it is injuries that did the most damage. It also wasn't 20-5-5 that killed his development, it was 2 seasons of being dumped in the corner as a catch and shoot SF under Keith not Smart.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not sure how much you've followed his career but while we certainly did him no favours I really think it is injuries that did the most damage. It also wasn't 20-5-5 that killed his development, it was 2 seasons of being dumped in the corner as a catch and shoot SF under Keith not Smart.
This. Taking a ball-dominant grinder like young Rekey and forcing him into the corner as a small forward while IT and Marcus Thornton did whatever the hell they wanted was not the smartest game plan ever.

Yes, it was injuries that did the most damage. Part of that came from grinding the guy to death to get that milestone. Which they turned around to set up LeBron and MJ comparisons which set impossible expectations. Which probably also contributed to their decision to play him the way they did.

If they had just let him play and develop within the flow of the game maybe it would have worked better for him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Though the numbers looked good, I thought Luka played his worst game of the year tonight. Part of it was the rest of his team playing keep away a bit but part of it seemed like he was playing tired.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Welcome to the NBA, Luka. Also there are whispers abound that the vets in the locker room don’t like him. Not surprised.
I always feel like the Mavs get far more credit for being a good team despite having all the markings of being a bad team (meddling owner who ignored a culture of sexual violence in the business operations side of his organization, coach who was a great coach before the modern era of paceball, bad vets on bad contracts, no draft pick this year in the draft despite possibly being one of the worst teams in the league, youngsters with a lot of potential being placed in questionable roles).

I always feel like the Mavs get far more credit for being a good team despite having all the markings of being a bad team (meddling owner who ignored a culture of sexual violence in the business operations side of his organization, coach who was a great coach before the modern era of paceball, bad vets on bad contracts, no draft pick this year in the draft despite possibly being one of the worst teams in the league, youngsters with a lot of potential being placed in questionable roles).
Cuban has been accused of assault himself here in Portland. Whick makes him ignoring what happened inside the Mavs seem more plausible.

Than the vets are selfish not Luka fault and go check Mavs forums they absolutely hate DJ/Wes
Not saying its his fault but it is something I’m sure was considered when they thought about drafting him. Would current Kings players accept him as the “chosen one”? Would Luka accept coming off the bench like Bagley and Fox last year did? Would he accept being #2 option to Fox? Valid things to consider when building a roster.

Not saying its his fault but it is something I’m sure was considered when they thought about drafting him. Would current Kings players accept him as the “chosen one”? Would Luka accept coming off the bench like Bagley and Fox last year did? Would he accept being #2 option to Fox? Valid things to consider when building a roster.
He’s been a #2 option his whole life till last year when LLull got hurt. I’m not sure about him not starting we’re cycling JJ/Shumpert back and for Luka is putting up 20-6-4 he’d have started by now.

Also his shot was questioned he’s shooting 40% from 3 on 7 attempts he’ll be elite there too

I truly feel like the best possible scenario for the Kings and the Mavs worked out. Doncic appears to have matched majority of the hype. The Kings did not take him because they saw what de'aaron could be before we did. Fox might be doing exactly what DSJ is doing right now if Doncic was picked.

The Mavs should be a pretty good team because they have some really good pieces like Jordan, Matthews, Doncic, Barnes, DSJ, etc... but the chemistry seems awful. Rick Carlisle has yet to find a way to maximize DSJ and Luca. Jordan and Matthews are playing like guys that realize the team is crappy and they're going to go ahead and get theirs.

How do the Mavs fix the situation?

Last edited:
I truly feel like the best possible scenario for the Kings and the Mavs worked out. Doncic appears to have matched majority of the hype. The Kings did not take him because they saw what de'aaron could be before we did. Fox might be doing exactly what DSJ is doing right now if Doncic was picked.

The Mavs should be a pretty good team because they have some really good pieces like Jordan, Matthews, Doncic, Barnes, DSJ, etc... but the chemistry seems awful. Rick Carlisle has yet to find a way to maximize DSJ and Luca. Jordan and Matthews are playing like guys that realize the team is crappy and they're going to go ahead and get theirs.

How do the Mavs fix the situation?
They gotta trade DSJ and all the other ill fitting parts around Doncic. If they are all in on him and feel like he’a the franchise going forward, they need to do it.

He’s been a #2 option his whole life till last year when LLull got hurt. I’m not sure about him not starting we’re cycling JJ/Shumpert back and for Luka is putting up 20-6-4 he’d have started by now.

Also his shot was questioned he’s shooting 40% from 3 on 7 attempts he’ll be elite there too
He wouldn’t start over Bjelica. He’s essentially their power forward right now due to him usually guarding a 4.

He wouldn’t start over Bjelica. He’s essentially their power forward right now due to him usually guarding a 4.
He’d be starting at wing and Bjlecia/Luka would be interchangeable on defense while having elite shooting and passing.

Mavs offense with Luka on the floor is 107 points per 100 possession with Luka off it’s 99.6 points. The kid would be starting the fascination with positions is crazy Luka has guarded Kawhi/Lebron/Derozan down the stretch of games well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Mavs look great for trading up for Luka in this draft but not so great for trading their likely just outside of pick protection pick in this year's draft to do so.

Man, that roster around him is built to his strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.