[Game] Kings v. Jazz - Wednesday, Oct. 17 - 7 PDT

Wow, just checked the box score. Ingles only scored 4 in the 2nd half after 18 in the first. His first 2 were the first shot of the 2nd half. It was Exum, Burks and Crowder that won the game for the Jazz.

For those that saw the game. I know its a small sample size, but did Bjelica look like he can play SF. It so far appears he deserves playing time and that's the obvious option to get it.

Okay one of the pessimists of the group, but I must admit I was pretty hyped tonight. I was actually excited in the 4th quarter, yelling out loud in excitement. I can't remember the last time that happened during a Kings Game. Fox and Yogi bring the energy and fight. Can they play together much? If so, like the defensive toughness there. Bjelica just has the IQ and the game seems to flow better w/ him. And what about Willy? What do we do as fans if he keeps performing like this? Do we still want to to part ways if that's the case? Can't wait for Bog to get back.

Joeger is going to force Giles and Bagley to play better defense or enjoy the view. I’m okay with it as I think they will respond.

BTW, Dallas losing to Phoenix worse than we lost to Utah. Doncic can pass but he can’t defend at all.
He had some “wow” plays on offense but dude is such a sieve on defense. He has to be hidden on a stretch 4 most of the time. He had a hard time getting a step on any of their wings. Is so effective during PNR situations especially when he’s the 4 and running it with a 5.

I've been in the 10th percentile of "most down on WCS" and I admit it. But if he gives this night in and night out over a period of months... I'll be happy to see him paid and kept. Nice start!

He had some “wow” plays on offense but dude is such a sieve on defense. He has to be hidden on a stretch 4 most of the time. He had a hard time getting a step on any of their wings. Is so effective during PNR situations especially when he’s the 4 and running it with a 5.
Yep good in the pick and roll but doesn’t get out on shooters. A good stretch 4 is going to kill him. Stands with foot in the lane to get rebounds but doesn’t give much help on drives. Can’t penetrate on his own and relies on a step back every time. But went 0-5 from 3 point line. Got 8 boards but largely because he sat in the lane waiting for them. Phoenix is a bad 3 point shooting team which doesn’t make the next pass to Luka’s open man while he hunts boards. But good 3 point teams will take advantage.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think so. I think if he gets a taste of "not sucking"... he will like it, and will discontinue sucking in subsequent seasons.
Someone just needs to convince him that continued “not sucking” during his entire next contract will only lead to more money in his next deal

My eyeball test says we shot mid range jumpers and they shot 3 pointers. Not the current meta and needs to be fixed next.
My eyeball test says they shot 38 FT's and the Kings only shot 18. That's where the game was lost, not via the 3 pt line.

The JAZZ were +6 from the 3 pt line. But the Kings were +16 from inside the arc because they made 8 more FG's overall. So the Kings were +10 on all FG's made between both teams. But the JAZZ were +16 from the FT line and that created the 6 point difference.

Several of the FTA's occurred in the last minute of the game as the Kings fouled late. But there was already a discrepancy before that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rewatching the game for grades. The Kings are gonna win a lot of games this year if Bjeli continues to play like a giant-sized version of Bogy. (It's also going to be hard to get our two young bigs minutes if he and Willie both play as well as they did last night.)

I
Rewatching the game for grades. The Kings are gonna win a lot of games this year if Bjeli continues to play like a giant-sized version of Bogy. (It's also going to be hard to get our two young bigs minutes if he and Willie both play as well as they did last night.)
said it in one of the other threads that people will be surprised by Bjelica. He is very much like Bogdan in terms of IQ, ability to create for others. He played PG for a season with Red Star. Has good court vision, can handle, can pass, a decent rebounder and a very good shooter. He is a well rounded player. He was pigeon holed in a certain role with Minnesota as a stretch 4. Will be given a lot more freedom in Sacramento.

I agree and it showed our roster is out of balance. I actually believe if Kosta was able to play last night he would of been the first big off the bench to handle Rudy. There will be a glaring hole until we get a serviceable SF, or hopefully Our coach thinks he can cause matchup problems with the way he plays. bogi coming back will really help.

The Kings played hard,
Bjelica is going to help this team. He can handle and shoot from the 3 and stretch the floor. I like him at the 4. He is a good defender and can pass the ball. Sort of a 6'10" version of Bogdan. It will be great to get Bogie back on the floor.
Willie had a good game and showed the effort we are looking for. I hope this can continue. His interior defense needs work. He went right at Gobert and out quicked him several times.
Fox and Buddy did what we expected.
Yogi is a competitor. It is hard to judge his effectiveness, but "He is scrappy." DC
Bagley and Giles got their feet wet.
Shumpert belongs on the all-NBA mouth team.
The Kings really played small ball most of the night. They had Buddy at the 3. Bjelica at the 4.
The Kings were in it. A slight improvement in team defense could have won this one.

I really liked Christie's comment about playing defense with the lower body. Basketball is like water polo in the sense that play down low is rarely called but hand checking and flailing almost always are. To be effective at the 4 and 5 takes lower body and core strength and a willingness to use it. Watch the bigs fight during free throws. It is the essence of the NBA right there.

Last edited:
My eyeball test says they shot 38 FT's and the Kings only shot 18. That's where the game was lost, not via the 3 pt line.

The JAZZ were +6 from the 3 pt line. But the Kings were +16 from inside the arc because they made 8 more FG's overall. So the Kings were +10 on all FG's made between both teams. But the JAZZ were +16 from the FT line and that created the 6 point difference.

Several of the FTA's occurred in the last minute of the game as the Kings fouled late. But there was already a discrepancy before that.
Damn your eyeball test has a great knack for stats! ;)

No, Bjelica looks like he could play center to me, as well as the 4.
He apparently has spent some time as a point guard. The guy has a very well rounded game and can play many positions. He is the steal of the off season so far. It is easy to see the Kings playing 3 guard small ball or the giant line up depending on the opposition.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He apparently has spent some time as a point guard. The guy has a very well rounded game and can play many positions. He is the steal of the off season so far. It is easy to see the Kings playing 3 guard small ball or the giant line up depending on the opposition.
He could play the point on offense, no doubt. When people ask about position, I normally think about defense. He could guard a lot of 5s in this league, imo. I think he would have a lot of difficulty with 3s on the defensive end, and with 2s or 1s it wouldn't be pretty.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow, just checked the box score. Ingles only scored 4 in the 2nd half after 18 in the first. His first 2 were the first shot of the 2nd half. It was Exum, Burks and Crowder that won the game for the Jazz.
Crowder got a lot of favorable attention from the officials. I don't think I've ever heard more "refs you suck" chants in one game than I heard last night. And no, we didn't start all of them. :p