Temple Traded for Ben McLemore and Deyonte Davis (merged)

Before Temple's opt-in date, I said the Kings should play hardball with him. They should have told him he was NOT in their plans and did NOT merit any playing time next season. Basically make him feel unwelcome to get him to opt-out. This was probably tried with more or less tact. Since the money was not elsewhere he understandably opted in but the agent coincidentally said if you can find my player a new home that would be preferable. This trade was an extension of those discussions as much as any move the Kings have planned next. I would like to be wrong and we chase Capella. We'll see. More likely this is our front office following through on previous discussions and a relationship that ran its course. Temple wasn't going to get 8M on the open market. He maybe could have gotten half that. This trade is similar to the Hill trade. We get rid of player we don't want and one who probably didn't want to be here in exchange for player(s) we don't want but get some cap relief for our efforts.

As point of fact Jackson and Ben first seasons were nearly identical statistically with Ben being two years younger (20 vs 22). Jackson shot a little better (49% vs 52% TS) but besides that they had equally inauspicious rookie seasons. Ben's struggles were a little more justified in my mind due to his age, maturity and probably more team dysfunction at the time. Jacskon's struggles are not as easily explained away. I had more confidence in Ben back then than Jackson now.
t

I have had and still do have more confidence in JJ than I ever ever had in Ben. Two different worlds.

A 2nd rounder, some cash, and 1MM in cap space for some leadership.....not horrible. Temple wasn't going to get much minutes, and now the 2 new guys should just get no minutes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Before Temple's opt-in date, I said the Kings should play hardball with him. They should have told him he was NOT in their plans and did NOT merit any playing time next season. Basically make him feel unwelcome to get him to opt-out. This was probably tried with more or less tact. Since the money was not elsewhere he understandably opted in but the agent coincidentally said if you can find my player a new home that would be preferable. This trade was an extension of those discussions as much as any move the Kings have planned next. I would like to be wrong and we chase Capella. We'll see. More likely this is our front office following through on previous discussions and a relationship that ran its course. Temple wasn't going to get 8M on the open market. He maybe could have gotten half that. This trade is similar to the Hill trade. We get rid of player we don't want and one who probably didn't want to be here in exchange for player(s) we don't want but get some cap relief for our efforts.
Oh please. They didn't treat him badly or make him feel unwelcome which is a stupid jerk move idea to begin with. If we want to draw free agents in the future, you don't do the kinds of things you're trying to say the Kings should have done just to rationalize your own weird take. The idea that Tenple didn't want to be here is, BTW, totally without basis in fact of any kind.

Last edited:
Is there any actual indication that Deyonta Davis will be waived? I hope not. They'd have his restricted rights next summer if he stays pretty sure.

He's still 21 years old. More than a year younger than Jazz 1st rd pick Grayson Allen.

He would play the C next to Bagley or Skal, probably Giles too. He's got an NBA body for sure.

McLemore being the former lottery pick obviously is gonna grab the attention here but there's been several Vlade moves where the seemingly lesser perceived asset (Bogdan, Harry Giles) has turned into the breadwinner of the deal and this could be more of the same, with Davis.

Good athlete, gets off the floor quickly, has potential to develop as a shotblocker too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is there any actual indication that Deyonta Davis will be waived? I hope not. They'd have his restricted rights next summer if he stays pretty sure.

He's still 21 years old. More than a year younger than Jazz 1st rd pick Grayson Allen.

He would play the C next to Bagley or Skal, probably Giles too. He's got an NBA body for sure.
Way too early to tell. Smart money however, would bet that there's something bigger afoot. The whole idea of absorbing Melo's contract for picks just got a lot more interesting (and there's a whole thread about it in the Personnel Moves forum). My guess is we'd waive/buy out all three.

Way too early to tell. Smart money however, would bet that there's something bigger afoot. The whole idea of absorbing Melo's contract for picks just got a lot more interesting. My guess is we'd waive/buy out all three.
I'm gonna guess that Davis is here for a 1 year audition. He's good enough to be on an NBA roster, not a fringe guy, IMO. He's a tough kid too, won't back down.

The whole idea of absorbing Melo's contract for picks just got a lot more interesting (and there's a whole thread about it in the Personnel Moves forum). My guess is we'd waive/buy out all three.
If we do what you're suggesting who would be our sf? Don't get me wrong, picks would be great.
If we don't go over the cap then we would have the full 8.8 MLE, but would would we offer it to?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we do what you're suggesting who would be our sf? Don't get me wrong, picks would be great.
If we don't go over the cap then we would have the full 8.8 MLE, but would would we offer it to?
I'm not suggesting it. I'm saying it's a logical idea which is being thoroughly discussed in another thread. :) I'm not going to derail this one by hypothetical discussions of what we might do with an exception.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm gonna guess that Davis is here for a 1 year audition. He's good enough to be on an NBA roster, not a fringe guy, IMO. He's a tough kid too, won't back down.
Maybe. And maybe he gets waived and added to the Stockton Kings. There are so many possibilities right now. At least we're not bored. :)

Unless we are planning to sign someone else, or another 2 for 1 type of trade is in the pipeline, what's the point of waiving either of them? We still have an open roster spot.

They can be waived in future if the need arises. At worst they are bodies for practice. Either can be a filler for salary match in a future trade if required. Plus, it would be good to see what we have in Davis. We have a crowd in the front court right now, but we'll be losing at least two of those guys next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unless we are planning to sign someone else, or another 2 for 1 type of trade is in the pipeline, what's the point of waiving either of them? We still have an open roster spot.

They can be waived in future if the need arises. At worst they are bodies for practice. Either can be a filler for salary match in a future trade if required. Plus, it would be good to see what we have in Davis. We have a crowd in the front court right now, but we'll be losing at least two of those guys next year.
If they aren't part of the plan going forward, why keep them? Especially Ben. I don't know that much about Davis, but I do know about McLemore and he wouldn't be a step forward by any stretch of the imagination.

Why would Washington want WCS after getting dwight?
Well I'm not sure how long term of a solution Dwight is. But realistically the goal for them would be major cap savings not only this year, but for 3 years straight. They also pick up a prospect at 3-4-5.

They already have Oubre and Brown at the 3, Oubre needs an extension next summer. When they have 111 million tied up in Wall/Beal/Porter/Brown/Mahimi and nobody else.

As point of fact Jackson and Ben first seasons were nearly identical statistically with Ben being two years younger (20 vs 22). Jackson shot a little better (49% vs 52% TS) but besides that they had equally inauspicious rookie seasons. Ben's struggles were a little more justified in my mind due to his age, maturity and probably more team dysfunction at the time. Jacskon's struggles are not as easily explained away. I had more confidence in Ben back then than Jackson now.
BMac's problem is between his ears. There have been hints and whispers from Sac Bee that the dude is dumb as a rock. There was an article where Ben complained he didn't know his role during a team meeting; the team paused and said: Are you kidding us? He might be the only person in Kings land who didn't know his role, heck even my dog knew what his role was. I remember one game he was guarding Klay Thompson and simply forgot to guard him. I don't mean he couldn't guard him, that goes without saying, I mean he forgot he needed to guard somebody. Klay was running on the left side and for some reason Ben was running back on defense on the right side.... with his head down. Then Klay drained a shot and Ben looked around like, "Why was he so open?" Next possession, Klay running on the right side, Ben running back on the left side; Klay made another shot. Next possession, Ben decided to guard Curry for some reason when Collison was already checking him. Klay open for another made shot. This was after Klay Thompson's historic quarter against us, against Ben. And there he was needing a reminder that he needed to guard the guy who lighteded him up last time he saw him.

This type of antics is nothing new from Ben. There is a TV segment that shows him using practice session for half court heaves when other players were working on their game. Then another article from the Bee that pretty much questioned why he consistently forgot his assignments in practice.

I don't know how good/bad Justin Jackson will be: but I am pretty certain he will not forget to guard people, he will not use practices to goof around, or be the only person in Kings land who doesn't know his role.

If they aren't part of the plan going forward, why keep them? Especially Ben. I don't know that much about Davis, but I do know about McLemore and he wouldn't be a step forward by any stretch of the imagination.
I very much doubt they are part of the plan going forward, and they will likely be looking for other jobs next season, if not sooner. Don't want to say this about Davis about whom I know absolutely nothing. However, even after we lose Z-Bo and Kosta next year, we'll have a glut in the front court, so don't see much role for him with us.

My limited point was that they can be useful as trade fillers. Lot of times, teams keep players around till the trade deadline, and if they can't use them in a trade, and they are not in the plans, they are waived. We could do something similar with either of the guys, but there is no rush to do so.

Finally, perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but I think there is a bit of a stigma attached to being waived. Unless required, I would be reluctant to do it to a player, particularly one like Ben, whom we drafted, and who played for us for several years. At the same time, if the player thinks that waiving him will be helpful to him, in that he may be able to audition for a job better elsewhere, then this becomes a non-issue.