Dave Joerger...rumors and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Styles are cyclical and are directly correlated to the type of player available at the time.

Teams trying to emulate what GSW are doing will fail miserably because those teams do not have Curry, Thompson and Green to build around. The trend to more perimete oriented basketball is simply because there are not enough dominant low post players in the league and there is an overflow of chucking guards so the trend has moved in that direction.
Hmmm... I wonder who else has been saying nearly the exact same thing for a couple years now .... :rolleyes:

Great minds think alike, or so they say :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is the biggest downside to signing Joerger.

Jäger and Red Bull are both awful on their own and even worse when combined.

And there will be too many promotions from local bars for this terrible concoction.

It's why I'm advocating that the Kings sign D-II coach Jim Entonic.
ouch

Styles are cyclical and are directly correlated to the type of player available at the time.

Teams trying to emulate what GSW are doing will fail miserably because those teams do not have Curry, Thompson and Green to build around. The trend to more perimete oriented basketball is simply because there are not enough dominant low post players in the league and there is an overflow of chucking guards so the trend has moved in that direction.

Are you saying that is by some miracle you could inject in prime SHAQ, olajuwon, Ewing, Mouring, Robinson, Duncan etc... into the current NBA that the trent would still be the same as it currently is?!

No chance in hell. It would be returning to low post, smash mouth basketball. I actually like the fact that Memphis has bucked the trend and are playing the style of basketball that suits their roster. You play to your player's strengths and not to a trend. As soon as another team other than GSW wins the championship, all of a sudden the trend will be very different and teams will try and copy those teams. It wasn't that long ago that the "big 3" teams were the tredny things to do. Now it's all about the Warriors. If SA wins this year's championship it will be about SA. There are multiple ways to get there. Smart coach coaches to his roster's strengths. There is no point turning DMC into a perimeter, running big when he is unguardable force down low. He needs to develop that low post game more but let's not fotget that there were games this season where DMC single handedly fouled out the other teams entire frontline when he was camping down on the block.
He does have a point about the rules though. Rule changes, whether hard ones or just informally in terms of how refs call the game do have an impact on style, which then impacts what young players practice, which then impacts their skills which then impacts the league's style... And so on. There's a reason why there's now a dearth of dominant big men and a lot of scoring point guards.

Last edited:
Holy chit mang.

I didn't even think this was possible.

This is THE BEST (okay maybe second best after Malone) coach in the league that Cousins could have, coaches to his strengths... etc. etc.

WOW.

Vlade, let me buy you a drink.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Was told tonight Joerger-to-Kings is so far down the road, it would take a screeching halt for him not to get it."

- Rick Bonnell (covers the Hornets. 20.5K followers)
I had hopes that Malone would grow into a great head coach and he might have with time but Joerger is already a great head coach.

Honestly I hope the deal is for more than three years - Joerger could be an Adelman-level signing.

Lots of work to do with the roster but this really feels like it could be a turning point.

The new arena was always going to be awesome and I love how the rebrand has begun but as great as that all is, it's ultimately window dressing.

But a stable and balanced front office? An involved but non-meddling owner? A great, young player's coach who preaches defense?

This could be a great offseason.

3 years is very solid. Gives a fair bit of stability and flexibility for both parties. Given the coaching salaries we have been paying in the last 2 seasons, we don't want to go for too long a deal and Joerger would probably want to renegotiate after that time and not be stuck in what might be peanuts in terms of coaching contracts in 3 years time.

Just sign him up and let's workout the rest at a later date. Just don't let him get away SVG style!

Status
Not open for further replies.