Kings Have a new Logo

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just looking at the sneak peak of the the "SAC" alternate shows the difference between flat renderings and the real thing.

Still, I would hope there's a little more pop to the actual uniforms than what's being shown here. I was hoping for more of an Atlanta Hawks rebrand with the uniforms. Something a little different. I was also hoping baby blue would make an appearance as an accent color they way Atlanta used their old green color. After all, Chris Granger did say that the uniforms would be using "every color in our palette".

I suppose I'll wait to see the real thing before commenting further

Those mocks remind me too much of the 2008 era. I hope we incorporate a back-layer mesh.. not sure what to call it. They have it on college jerseys.

I actually really like the Atlanta jerseys too. Hopefully those won't be our real jerseys..

Just looking at the sneak peak of the the "SAC" alternate shows the difference between flat renderings and the real thing.

Still, I would hope there's a little more pop to the actual uniforms than what's being shown here. I was hoping for more of an Atlanta Hawks rebrand with the uniforms. Something a little different. I was also hoping baby blue would make an appearance as an accent color they way Atlanta used their old green color. After all, Chris Granger did say that the uniforms would be using "every color in our palette".

I think our palette is just going to be Purple, Granite, Black, and White, unfortunately. I was also hoping for some baby blue to make it.

You're right though, about the sneak peak of the SAC alternate and the flat rendering. Hopefully the real uniforms pop a little more than those concepts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

You do realize that baby blue was a mistake, and one of the wussiest colors alive, don't you? :p

Save the baby blue for the jumpers in the team store.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You do realize that baby blue was a mistake, and one of the wussiest colors alive, don't you? :p

I actually like the baby blue as a throwback, but I think we used it way too often this year. That kind of thing should be like a three-times-a-year thing, not every Friday.

I really liked this granite mockup from some random person (https://www.instagram.com/p/BEriDIklj8O/). I could do without the Camo fringe on the sleeves - purple would be great there - but it doesn't really look like we've got a granite uniform coming through. Too bad.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

This guy made baby blue look pretty tough :)

I do like the blue-on-blue look that KC and Memphis have going on, but it's an awkward fit with purple.
Logo disagreements aside, Purple/Black/Silver/White is a strong color pallete. Adding a 5th color over-complicates things.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think our palette is just going to be Purple, Granite, Black, and White, unfortunately. I was also hoping for some baby blue to make it.

You're right though, about the sneak peak of the SAC alternate and the flat rendering. Hopefully the real uniforms pop a little more than those concepts.
As I thought about it more the issue with the baby blue (especially as an accent against purple) is that it gets the Kings too close to the Charlotte Hornets palette.

There are no wussy colors as long as I'm the one wearing them.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually like the baby blue as a throwback, but I think we used it way too often this year. That kind of thing should be like a three-times-a-year thing, not every Friday.
Definitely. It loses the throwback appeal if it's used that regularly. It becomes more of an alternate. And extra confusing when the actual alternate looked almost exactly the same but in black.

With the new alternate and the new stretch uniform the baby blues would be more of a departure, especially if used more sparingly.

I really liked this granite mockup from some random person (https://www.instagram.com/p/BEriDIklj8O/). I could do without the Camo fringe on the sleeves - purple would be great there - but it doesn't really look like we've got a granite uniform coming through. Too bad.
Agreed on the camo and I would still want the lion/ball logo at the bottom of the shorts, but just based on the mockups I like the granite mockup a lot more.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, new details emerged regarding our uniform sets. These are just mockups, but I generally trust these guys regarding their inside sources: http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/04/27/new-details-on-sacramento-kings-uniforms-for-2016-17/

After such a home run with the logos, i'm a bit underwhelmed. These look far too similar to the '03 - '08 uniform sets.

Not at all impressed. The numeric font is particularly annoying. Looks like 1b more than 16.

And the "Sac" on the front of the away jerseys? Look up the definition, folks. Among other things, a "sac" is "the distended membrane surrounding a hernia, cyst, or tumor." But that's just me grumping like I did when they thought tying to the Kings to King Midas was a good idea. :p

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not at all impressed. The numeric font is particularly annoying. Looks like 1b more than 16.

And the "Sac" on the front of the away jerseys? Look up the definition, folks. Among other things, a "sac" is "the distended membrane surrounding a hernia, cyst, or tumor." But that's just me grumping like I did when they thought tying to the Kings to King Midas was a good idea. :p
I dunno.
The middle schooler in me loves the idea of a "sac" jersey.

I've always referred to Sacramento as Sac. I'm sure some immature fans out there will poke fun at it and snicker together, but anybody from the area will know you are talking about Sacramento.

I understand the predicament... "Sacramento" is a long word and in order to fit it, you need to either squish the letters together (like our old uniforms) or you need to make the font tiny (like New Orleans unis), and I'd argue that neither look very good. Using "SAC" accomplishes representing your city while using big, bold letters. If we can get past looking at the definition of a "sac" and look at this in context, IMO it makes a lot of sense and is a good call.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've always referred to Sacramento as Sac. I'm sure some immature fans out there will poke fun at it and snicker together, but anybody from the area will know you are talking about Sacramento.

I understand the predicament... "Sacramento" is a long word and in order to fit it, you need to either squish the letters together (like our old uniforms) or you need to make the font tiny (like New Orleans unis), and I'd argue that neither look very good. Using "SAC" accomplishes representing your city while using big, bold letters. If we can get past looking at the definition of a "sac" and look at this in context, IMO it makes a lot of sense and is a good call.

I think the obvious solution is to tear down the crushed tin can they keep trying to convince me is "beautiful", and move the team to GALT.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Sacramento looks awkward squeezed onto a jersey so I'm favor of shortening it somehow. The Blazers have cool Rip City jerseys. The Hornets tried to get in on the action with Buzz City this year and Detroit has got their Motor City alternates. Admittedly I haven't lived in Sacramento since 2001, but I've never heard anyone refer to the city as "Sac" other than NBA boxscores. Everyone down here calls it Sactown. Why not go with Sactown? That would look cool on a jersey wouldn't it?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

It's a changing generation thing, I suspect, more than anything else. I do understand what you're saying, though. As for my personal preference - if it bothers me that much I can always just refrain from buying anything with that particular logo on it. :)

Sacramento looks awkward squeezed onto a jersey so I'm favor of shortening it somehow. The Blazers have cool Rip City jerseys. The Hornets tried to get in on the action with Buzz City this year and Detroit has got their Motor City alternates. Admittedly I haven't lived in Sacramento since 2001, but I've never heard anyone refer to the city as "Sac" other than NBA boxscores. Everyone down here calls it Sactown. Why not go with Sactown? That would look cool on a jersey wouldn't it?
i'm actually really fond of this idea for an alternate jersey of some kind.

The shortened "SAC" has always been associated with Sacramento in a good way. "Sacto" was more of a rough shortening you could use on a letter, and "Sactown" was unheard of until the '90s when Tupac released "California Love."

Last edited: