[Game] Kings @ Hawks 11/18/15 - 5 PM PST, 8 PM EST

Did we see more than an occasional Rondo/Cuz P&R?
Nope. And the ones we saw were in the first half.

Did we see the successful Rudy/Cuz P&R?
Nope. Completely absent from this offense. A few are all over Rudy but a) we're not getting him the ball in the right spots and b) he's not a PF!

Did we show the results of any decent defensive game planning other than the most basic "switch every screen"?
Nope.

Did we try to use our size and take advantage of WCS' defense?
Nope.

Did we go small from the jump and throughout the game, especially with a Rondo/DC pairing which usually came with going small at the 3 and 4?
Sure did.

Some guys didn't play well but we had a poor game plan on defense and we were set up to hug the perimeter and live/die by the jumper when we have the best big in the game. And this is the problem with Cuz shooting 3's. It's great when they fall...when they don't we had nothing else to go to because frankly, our halfcourt sets are crap.

BTW, Rondo is far better next to an actual SG.

Pessimistic about this team to my bones. 10 years of being probably the worst franchise in all of sports does that to you. That being said, I would love for Cousins to not be suspended and to win tomorrow, and beat the Magic, but after seeing the team (and Karl "coach") tonight, I am not holding my breath. All the wrong players were on the floor at the end of the game. Marco should have been sitting (Ben in) and Collison should have been sitting with WCS in.
-Rondo
-Ben
-Rudy
-WCS
-Cuz

Length and athletic ability from top to bottom. Instead, we had:
-Rondo
-Collison
-Marco
-Rudy
-Cuz

Collison, Marco, and Rudy are all too small for the positions Karl had them playing tonight. Rudy is not a 4, Marco is a SG (period), and Collison is too small to check Korver, not to mention him and Rondo have about 0 chemistry together.

I'm so tired of hearing about WCS not getting PT because he is playing against experienced players. Everyone compared to him is an experienced player. He's been hands down our best defensive player, yet we aren't using him to play defense. It makes absolutely no goddamn sense.
Seriously, my man. You can either help or you can't.

There's literally zero evidence suggesting WCS doesn't help this team and should play more.

Someone was asking for this earlier about WCS on/off... Well, he's been a +/- superstar in the early going:

With WCS on the floor:

Ortg: 109.6
Drtg: 99.8

Without WCS on the floor:

Ortg: 98.8
Drtg: 112.1

which combines for a difference of +23.1 when Willie's on the floor. Like, that's unreal for a guy who's played more than 2 minutes on the court.

Now, this is only in 218 minutes, so the sample size needs to be addressed, but differences this drastic means WCS isn't playing nearly enough.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Someone was asking for this earlier about WCS on/off... Well, he's been a +/- superstar in the early going:

With WCS on the floor:

which combines for a difference of +23.1 when Willie's on the floor. Like, that's unreal for a guy who's played more than 2 minutes on the court.

Now, this is only in 218 minutes, so the sample size needs to be addressed, but differences this drastic means WCS isn't playing nearly enough.
That's evident by what I see. What all of us see. What I don't understand is why an experienced NBA coach doesn't see it? It really makes no sense. Is it in spite because that's not the player he wanted drafted? Or does he just not know how to use size?

That's evident by what I see. What all of us see. What I don't understand is why an experienced NBA coach doesn't see it? It really makes no sense. Is it in spite because that's not the player he wanted drafted? Or does he just not know how to use size?
I thought Kings have analytics department. Even if eye-test fails Karl, these guys should push the numbers. Or maybe they just ran out of toner? Should create a Power Point presentation then.

We were very close to winning- Rudy played good D on that Millsap drive and he easily could have missed it and we win the game. Also at least two of Rondo's turnovers were not entirely his fault... It's not time yet to blame Karl, even though I agree with a lot of the gripes.

Did we see more than an occasional Rondo/Cuz P&R?
Nope. And the ones we saw were in the first half.

Did we see the successful Rudy/Cuz P&R?
Nope. Completely absent from this offense. A few are all over Rudy but a) we're not getting him the ball in the right spots and b) he's not a PF!

Did we show the results of any decent defensive game planning other than the most basic "switch every screen"?
Nope.

Did we try to use our size and take advantage of WCS' defense?
Nope.

Did we go small from the jump and throughout the game, especially with a Rondo/DC pairing which usually came with going small at the 3 and 4?
Sure did.

Some guys didn't play well but we had a poor game plan on defense and we were set up to hug the perimeter and live/die by the jumper when we have the best big in the game. And this is the problem with Cuz shooting 3's. It's great when they fall...when they don't we had nothing else to go to because frankly, our halfcourt sets are crap.

BTW, Rondo is far better next to an actual SG.
Cousins was pretty bad around the rim too this game. Just saying. At the end of all the whole hooha about bad coaching and whatnot we were still in the game and Rondo makes a few less dumb passes/ Omri doesn't travel/ DC doesn't get blocked the outcome could have been different. And no, I don't believe that we are such a great team that had we game-planned better we would have gone from losing by 4 to winning by 10 or something.

Also I don't quite see the reason why some are blaming Marco for this. Yeah he had a few TOs and a few missed shots. For the most part he played good D on Korver/ whoever he was on.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I find myself wondering if Karl is really this bad...

....ooooorrr....

Is Vivek still pushing his ill conceived notions of the game onto the coaching staff? I mean, the man was blowing Malone's cell phone up last year with his idiocy, 4 on 5, BS..... who's to say he isn't doing that now?

Just because Vivek isn't running his mouth doesn't mean he's given up on running the show.

Our play style reeks of jazz.

Karl said he started Acy because he brings energy and he liked him for the difficult matchup instead of WCS. What I heard is "**** if I know why I started him over WCS".

Well I can tell you his defense was better than Willies tonight. Acy looks like a stopper at times out there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well I can tell you his defense was better than Willies tonight. Acy looks like a stopper at times out there.
It actually wasn't after the early going.

It was good for about the first 4-5 minutes. Then it was a disaster. And you could feel the difference when WCS was in. We've felt it all year. Having that second 7 footer on the backline makes an enormous difference. Boogie challenges a shot outside, they swing the ball, and we are still ok, they drive and still run into a 7 foot rim protector. We've got a weakside rebounder. On several plays a hawk would probe, be shaded off by Boogie near the top of the free throw box, continue on, and then be shaded off by our second 7 footer as they ran out of real estate on the baseline. It makes a big difference in team defense.

K

KingMilz

Bmac shouldve taken Bellinellis minutes down the stretch
Bmac for once plays very solid and his reward is getting taken out, the same thing has been occurring to WCS he pretty much all year plays well but they replace him. Quincy should only be used for 2-3 minute bursts that's how you maximize what he does than you put the athletic 7 footer (who also brings energy) for a long spell.

To me all year if feels like whoever is playing well is getting pulled out of the game regardless of the situation.

Despite his triple double, Rondo made aweful decisions tonight.
I don't understand why we use more Cuz+KK lineups than Cuz+Willie lineups.
And it looks to me, that Cuz gets eaten up by the D close to the basket and relies on the Refs to bail him out too often.
Same goes for Rudy.
Everything close is tightly contested and with lots of contact.
There were no easy baskets tonight.

Playing veterans just because they are veterans......no comment.

ive been pretty vocal about Karl for awhile now. In any case it comes down to when we make a change not if. We cant keep going on questioning if he can get the most out of this roster as well as going on these momentum swings or wins and losingstreaks. Its clear defense will not be a priority and pace and small-ball will be preferred.

I have some hope that Karl can keep it together for the season but we need Vlade to be heavy handed right now i feel. Theres things that certainly shouldnt be happening in terms of rotation and decisions being made.

With WCS on the floor:

To be honest :
Quincy Acy on/off net rating : +23.0
Koufos on/off net rating : -26.9

Haaaa stats....
(everything is here : http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/2016/on-off/)

Hate the way we are using Marco.

That quick off-ball screen on the wing where he gets the ball and chucks it up immediately frustrates THE HELL out of me....Seems like that's our main offensive plain.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Marco's degree of difficulty on many of his shots is what's troubling. Eliminate the tough shots. When he's squared up and set, he's a knock down shooter, but how many off balance shots has he taken.....it's dumb.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bmac for once plays very solid and his reward is getting taken out, the same thing has been occurring to WCS he pretty much all year plays well but they replace him. Quincy should only be used for 2-3 minute bursts that's how you maximize what he does than you put the athletic 7 footer (who also brings energy) for a long spell.

To me all year if feels like whoever is playing well is getting pulled out of the game regardless of the situation.
To me it seems Trill has been yanked all over the place up to this point in the season

gunks

Hall of Famer
Y'all getting mad about Karl's rotations, offensive/defensive sets, propensity to go small, misuse of players, and obsession with pushing the pace despite iffy results aren't even talking about the worst thing of all......

Thibs might get snatched up by Houston!

Gah!