Casspi is staying! (updated)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the one and only thing I will say about this, is if its $3mil per, would have been nice if we could have used the room MLE (whihc I think is supposed to be about $2.8mil) to do it, because then we could have used the capspace for that last big etc. Oh well though, guess we can use the room MLE to complete the roster. don't see how we could possibly get Smith here though.

I have a good feeling about this, because Vlade and Casspi looked to have some really good chemistry last season. He'll figure out a way

Last edited:
Yea Omri! I wanted him back, but I hope we used the room MLE to sign him. If not, oh well. I'm not sure that we had enough shots available on this team to keep Josh Smith happy. But if it's possible to add Smith, it'd be worth the risk.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 8m8 minutes ago
ESPN sources say Omri Casspi and Kings are nearing agreement on a two-year, $6 million deal to keep the popular swingman in Sacramento
It'll work out for Omri. In two years, when the cap is huge, players like him will be 6-8 mil easy. He'll sign a 4 year deal after this one in the range of 25-30, and it will be because he proved himself valuable to a winning team .

Entity

Hall of Famer
the one and only thing I will say about this, is if its $3mil per, would have been nice if we could have used the room MLE (whihc I think is supposed to be about $2.8mil) to do it, because then we could have used the capspace for that last big etc. Oh well though, guess we can use the room MLE to complete the roster. don't see how we could possibly get Smith here though.
Well nothing is set until the 9th. Correct? Maybe we already have someone in mind and this news about omri is the MLE. Like hey Omri we are gonna give you 6 mil over two years. We got one more guy to sign but you will be locked in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Looks like it's $2.8

dude12

Hall of Famer
I believe Smith is still going get his money from the Pistons buyout so he may take a cheap contract to go play somewhere that might not have money, right?

Friggin Love Omri..

Definitely getting his Jersey now that I know he's staying.

I will be rocking it this year at the games, along with Vlade's and Rondo.

I believe Smith is still going get his money from the Pistons buyout so he may take a cheap contract to go play somewhere that might not have money, right?
This.

And if so... holy hell what an offseason. I mean... speechless.

I know we need another defender at the 2/3, but what if Ben ups his defense again? What if Omri does? What if our team chemistry is so good and focused because of all this that our team defense is vastly improved? What if having the big rim protector(s) back there warp the court to make drivers think twice?

Also, its really just terrible how Vlade has no understanding of the CBA or salary cap rules. :rolleyes:

Yah no doubt.. It's like he took a crash course and all of a sudden is a cap genius or something....

Definitely glad the gerbil (first time using this for PDA) is gone.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Stockton we can waive. I don't think we can afford to waive Moreland, we need him for frontcourt depth. If the Casspi deal starts at 2.8M it could definitely be an agreement to use the room exception. None of these deals are finalized until the 9th anyway so I'd say the value of the deal matching the maximum allowable under the room exception is actually a very good indication that that's exactly what Vlade has planned. I also think we could find a taker for Ray McCallum pretty easily which would knock another .9 million off the cap.

The main question I have though -- I keep seeing a few people list Cousins' salary at 15.8M this year but that doesn't add up if the extension was 62 million as originally reported by ESPN and Yahoo. That would mean he got 14.7 million this season not next and pushes the total value of his contract extension up to 65 million. Does anybody have a reliable source on whether it's 62 million or 65 million? If the 62 million number is correct than his salary is 14.7 million next season in which case subtracting McCallum and Stockton, adding .9 million for Anderson, and assuming Omri gets the Room Exception leaves us with 5.8 million left under the new 69 million mark.

EDIT: Forgot about the James Anderson contract, though that might also be unguaranteed.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Stockton we can waive. I don't think we can afford to waive Moreland, we need him for frontcourt depth. If the Casspi deal starts at 2.8M it could definitely be an agreement to use the room exception. None of these deals are finalized until the 9th anyway so I'd say the value of the deal matching the maximum allowable under the room exception is actually a very good indication that that's exactly what Vlade has planned. I also think we could find a taker for Ray McCallum pretty easily which would knock another .9 million off the cap.

The main question I have though -- I keep seeing a few people list Cousins' salary at 15.8M this year but that doesn't add up if the extension was 62 million as originally reported by ESPN and Yahoo. That would mean he got 14.7 million this season and pushes the total value of his contract extension up to 65 million. Does anybodyu have a reliable source on whether it's 62 million or 65 million? If the 62 million number is correct than his salary is 14.7 million next season in which case subtracting McCallum and Stockton and assuming Omri gets the Room Exception leaves us with 6.7 million left under the new 69 million mark.
Hoopshype has it at 14.7 this year 15.7 next year