Willie Cauley-Stein is your newest Sacramento King

S

sactownfan

Jordan was a frosh when he came out. Big big difference. He's still of course massively unskilled, but he was at an early stage of development. WCS on the other hand stayed 3 years, and never upped that level of production (of course if you look at Jordan, he never really improved either until Doc arrived adn convinced him to become a rebounding fool).
I know... but....WCS has always been on STACKED (understatement) teams... what would WCS's numbers have looked like had he been the best player on a texas A&M team??? I think his situation in college was more like Joakim Noah... who also had so so numbers too... also due to being on crazy staked teams.

Either way he's taller and WAY more athletic than both Jordan and Noah.... I think we landed a defensive star for sure... and people are sleeping on his game... really good chance he ends up being way better than both those guys... I watched his shooting vids and think people are gonna be blown away by that... his post game isn't that good tho (bad touch and feel, no footwork) but thats perfect for Cousins.

WCS's jumper tho..... that could be back breaking to double teams.

WCSs offence and outside shot is his ticket to being paired with boogie. As fans we love the potential of that front court but Karl wants outside shooting from the 4 pos hence the quotes from vlade about rudy at the 4.

WCS has to force his way into contention here. The potentials there, we've seen the highlights and videos. He is more than capabale.

WCSs offence and outside shot is his ticket to being paired with boogie. As fans we love the potential of that front court but Karl wants outside shooting from the 4 pos hence the quotes from vlade about rudy at the 4.

WCS has to force his way into contention here. The potentials there, we've seen the highlights and videos. He is more than capabale.
I think what they might be thinking is

5 Cuz
4 Rudy
3 McLemore
2 (second point guard)
1 Collison

Although I'd really like to see WCS and Cuz on the floor at the same time.

5 Cuz
4 Rudy
3 McLemore
2 (second point guard)
1 Collison

Me too. As long as we can defend teams going small and playing outside-in any lineup with Cuz and WCS would be something I like.
Of course we can go 3 guard+Rudy+Cuz for some times, but I doubt it will be very successful as long as we don't aquire a superior talent for the second guard spot next to DC or Nik has a breakout year.

Me too. As long as we can defend teams going small and playing outside-in any lineup with Cuz and WCS would be something I like.
Of course we can go 3 guard+Rudy+Cuz for some times, but I doubt it will be very successful as long as we don't aquire a superior talent for the second guard spot next to DC or Nik has a breakout year.
Nik is a big unknown right now, but kind of a key for us, if he can put it together.

You know, I'm cool with people razzing me about conspiracy theorizing, and I invite it by calling it such:

But really?
How is what I theorized not simply good business? What is so laughably unbelievable about the Kings (with or without WCS's consent) seeing him rise in mock drafts, and then doing what they could to throw uncertainty into WCS's health conditions so that he might fall to them?

If you think that basketball players, coaches, executives, owners, and reporters don't (almost) all lie, leak, conspire, and mislead so that they get what they want, then you're simply naive about the way business is done nowadays.

Heck, there's the obvious conspiracy we just experienced with Dan Fegan and Woj, leaking all that info for mutual benefit that you astutely pieced together on the other thread.
Well first off, dishonesty is not the best policy. Why would you ask WCS to be in on leaking it? He does not want to be drafted by the first five teams? What if someone fell to the kings and they didn't draft him. Then he could tumble in the draft. It is one thing to hold your cards close to your vest. An agent is one thing if he doesn't care about his reputation. It's another for a professional organization.

Either you are ruled by principals (God) or you are ruled by fear. Conspiracy's are about fear. Some see them everywhere. Others don't.

Also if WCS was drafted 4th or 5th then Hezonja or Porzingis would have been available. Not to mention a slew of other good picks that where available.

Last edited:
J

jdbraver

Well first off, dishonesty is not the best policy. Why would you ask WCS to be in on leaking it? He does not want to be drafted by the first five teams? What if someone fell to the kings and they didn't draft him. Then he could tumble in the draft. It is one thing to hold your cards close to your vest. An agent is one thing if he doesn't care about his reputation. It's another for a professional organization.

Either you are ruled by principals (God) or you are ruled by fear. Conspiracy's are about fear. Some see them everywhere. Others don't.

Also if WCS was drafted 4th or 5th then Hezonja or Porzingis would have been available. Not to mention a slew of other good picks that where available.
Capitalism. It's what's for dinner.

5 Cuz
4 Rudy
3 McLemore
2 (second point guard)
1 Collison

If that's the plan than I really don't like it.
putting the guard rotation aside, our front-court rotation should look like this:

Starting (most minutes): JT/Cousins- if it ain't broke don't fix it, we did great with that lineup last year.

When Cousins rests: Rudy/WCS- full on Karl, switching everything and being super fast.

When Rudy rests: WCS/Cousins- big lineup, great defense- training for the future.

This way you minimize the minutes the team plays without Cousins and Rudy (have at least one of them on the floor almost at all times) and give WCS 20+ minutes both as a center and next to Cousins.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If that's the plan than I really don't like it.
putting the guard rotation aside, our front-court rotation should look like this:

Starting (most minutes): JT/Cousins- if it ain't broke don't fix it, we did great with that lineup last year.

When Cousins rests: Rudy/WCS- full on Karl, switching everything and being super fast.

When Rudy rests: WCS/Cousins- big lineup, great defense- training for the future.

This way you minimize the minutes the team plays without Cousins and Rudy (have at least one of them on the floor almost at all times) and give WCS 20+ minutes both as a center and next to Cousins.
No thank you.

I say this as one of the more vocal Thompson supporters on Kings Fans: we don't want any part of Thompson starting, if we're serious about winning. Fantastic backup, in my opinion, substandard starter.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
No thank you.

I say this as one of the more vocal Thompson supporters on Kings Fans: we don't want any part of Thompson starting, if we're serious about winning. Fantastic backup, in my opinion, substandard starter.
Down the road I agree. But unless the Kings acquire a more talented PF starter or roll Rudy out as the starting 4 then JT will be the guy to start the season. WCS will need time to adjust.

No thank you.

I definitely get where youre coming from, however, JT's greatest skill is his man defense. Maybe, depending on the matchup, hes more valuable as a starter.

5 Cuz
4 Rudy
3 McLemore
2 (second point guard)
1 Collison

This lineup is going to struggle to defend the rim and get a hand up on shooters. If youre going to throw a small forward into the powerforward spot then your 1-3 positions had better be tall, long, and athletic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know... but....WCS has always been on STACKED (understatement) teams... what would WCS's numbers have looked like had he been the best player on a texas A&M team??? I think his situation in college was more like Joakim Noah... who also had so so numbers too... also due to being on crazy staked teams.

Either way he's taller and WAY more athletic than both Jordan and Noah.... I think we landed a defensive star for sure... and people are sleeping on his game... really good chance he ends up being way better than both those guys... I watched his shooting vids and think people are gonna be blown away by that... his post game isn't that good tho (bad touch and feel, no footwork) but thats perfect for Cousins.

WCS's jumper tho..... that could be back breaking to double teams.
Yeah, I think the stat comparison to Noah is a better one. Noah played on a stacked Florida team where he wasn't needed to score. Very similar to WCS at Kentucky. Bottom line,is that WCS is going to be his own man and create his own reputation. I can't wait till summer league, My heart is feeliing better already.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No thank you.

I agree. I've always been a supporter of JT, but his days as a starter have to be over if were going to take the next step. Solid backup, but not a starter. To be honest, I think they'll move JT if they can.

No thank you.

Starter is nothing but a title, he will play about 20-25 minutes in this scenario- the fact that he will play a lot of this minutes to start the game means nothing to me.

Look you are (self-claimed) a JT supporter, right now we have 4 guys we can play in the 4-5 positions (5 if you include Moreland but I doubt he will get meaningful minutes)- Cousins, Rudy, WCS and JT.

If JT is not partnered with Cousins he have 2 other options:

1. JT/WCS- death on offense.
2. JT/Rudy- death on defense- JT is a good man defender, but between him and Rudy you have 0 rim protection.

JT is best when he is with Cousins.

Starting JT just make too much sense, it takes the pressure of WCS and the starting five of DC-Ben-Rusy-JT-Cousins outscored opponents by 16.1 points per 100 poss. in a big sample size of 426 minutes (that's better than most playoff teams starting lineups, some by a huge margin).

JT might be a good back-up but not a starter on paper, but in this team- a starter in the only way he makes sense.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Starter is nothing but a title, he will play about 20-25 minutes in this scenario- the fact that he will play a lot of this minutes to start the game means nothing to me.
First of All™, I'm not convinced that Cauley-Stein is only going to play 20-25 minutes a game. Second of all, starter is slightly more than just a title. Even if you're right about how many minutes he plays, which 20-25 minutes matter; starters get most of their minutes against other starters.

Look you are (self-claimed) a JT supporter, right now we have 4 guys we can play in the 4-5 positions (5 if you include Moreland but I doubt he will get meaningful minutes)- Cousins, Rudy, WCS and JT.

If JT is not partnered with Cousins he have 2 other options:

1. JT/WCS- death on offense.
2. JT/Rudy- death on defense- JT is a good man defender, but between him and Rudy you have 0 rim protection.
I have two problems with this point of view: in the first place, I think that you are placing too much importance on offense. And, in the second place, there is no reason to believe that the offense should run through the post when Cousins is off the floor. Karl has been most effective as a coach offensively when he goes through his guards, anyway. The sets we should be running when Cousins is resting should be so different from the ones we're running when he's on the floor, that it shouldn't make a difference.

And, not for nothing, but while Thompson is an inferior talent to Cousins, he has much the same range, so you can conceivably run many of the same plays with Thompson in place of Cousins, just run the ones where Gay is the first option, instead.

JT is best when he is with Cousins.
I don't think that this is necessarily true. Statistically, I think you could make the case that Thompson is best without Cousins. If anything, Cousins is best when he is with Thompson.

First of All™, I'm not convinced that Cauley-Stein is only going to play 20-25 minutes a game. Second of all, starter is slightly more than just a title. Even if you're right about how many minutes he plays, which 20-25 minutes matter; starters get most of their minutes against other starters.

I have two problems with this point of view: in the first place, I think that you are placing too much importance on offense. And, in the second place, there is no reason to believe that the offense should run through the post when Cousins is off the floor. Karl has been most effective as a coach offensively when he goes through his guards, anyway. The sets we should be running when Cousins is resting should be so different from the ones we're running when he's on the floor, that it shouldn't make a difference.

And, not for nothing, but while Thompson is an inferior talent to Cousins, he has much the same range, so you can conceivably run many of the same plays with Thompson in place of Cousins, just run the ones where Gay is the first option, instead.

I don't think that this is necessarily true. Statistically, I think you could make the case that Thompson is best without Cousins. If anything, Cousins is best when he is with Thompson.
At least to start the season, I don't think you should play WCS a ton of minutes- 25 minutes are a good number for a rookie.

Starter is just a title, the part about getting his minutes against other starters is important... and we have data showing it has gone great for us! again outscoring opponents by 16.1 points per 100 poss in a large sample size is not a good mark- it's a great one.

I am not placing to much value on offense, but it is pretty important you know... I don't believe the offense should run through the post when Cousins is off the floor- I believe that JT and WCS together is a recipe for a "clogged toilet" offense, there is no reason whatsoever for oponnent bigs to care about them so they can focus on help defense without them being able to punish you and the spacing will be god aweful.

Too say that Thompson is an inferior offensive talent to Cousins is the under-statement of the century- while JT have the same range he doesn't worth to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Cousins...
You can run the same sets you run for Cousins to Thompson- and I promise you a bouquet of flowers will be waiting for you from the rival coach...

You now what I'll take the "Thompson is best with Cousins" back (I still believe he is most valuable in that role), can we agree that as a pairing they go really well together? cause that is what i care about.

No thank you.

I don't think he's saying forever. I'm never a fan of throwing rookies to the wolves when you don't have to. We got a good big to bring WCS along slower; lets use him. Especially at the most skilled offensive position in the NBA, where just about every night, you're facing an immensely talented offensive PF.

Entity

Hall of Famer
The most important thing to take away from this is. Instead of a Landry or Evans whom are ground bound and opposite ends of the spectrum offensive vs defensive. You now have a great athletic defender that can crate more havoc then either of those two. Not to mention he can rise bode everybody on the offensive end with some ally's or one step dunks.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Interesting fact. I was looking at measurment histories. WCS has max vert reach of 12 feet 3 inches. Only 7 players exceed that since the data was collected. One of the 7 is non other than Rudy Gay. Dwight Howard same as WCS

Just finished watching the press conference with WCS, Vivek and Vlade. Willie was very impressive. He didn't just say the right things, he comes across as believing what he saying. There is a distinction. He knows who he is....
I love how he kept saying how you have to aacrifice and know your role to win a championship. Also love how he takes pride on defense.