Malone fired

Look what I bolded, there. See?

Game 6 of an NBA Finals / Playoffs series?

Guess who let them there? Yeah, Tim Duncan and crew, but Coach Pop was at the healm for years already. Coach Malone cannot even begin to fathom the idea of leading a team into that position yet. It's still early however Malone had made too many bone-headed coaching decisions this seasons to allow him to coach this team feeling any sense of confidence.
Not discrediting Pop but I've seen enough of malone to know this. If he had parker,green,Kawii,Tim,splitter,
Marco,Manu, and Diaw. He would get pretty close to that position.

Um. Uh.

If you have no idea who this next coach is that will be a homerun hire and change the culture why fire the guy that is at least getting the team to play defense?

Isn't that the normal progression of things? Isn't that why Houston replaced JVG with Adelman? That Van Gundy had instilled a defensive identity but they wanted to see if Adelman could add offensive execution on top of things? Even if you hate Malone's style of offense (and I didn't), he was making obvious improvements to defense, rebounding, aggressively attacking the basket and McLemore's development was an obvious plus as well. Why wouldn't you let him keep helping the team improve and THEN change coaches after the season to build ON what he established?

Again, I can't find a rational answer for why Malone was fired at this point in the season. If you had your homerun coach all ready to step in that's one thing. I'd still be against the move but at least I could understand it. What's the reason here? It's like a kid throwing a tantrum. "Vivek! Vivek! Mike's not playing the game the way we want. Tell him to stop!" Sheesh.

Agree 100%.

There is a right and wrong way to do things. This is the wrong way.
indeed. it seems as if d'allesandro, mullin, and bratz were actually envious of the moderate success malone was having with a style of play that they disapproved of. it's ideology over results, and it's no good, because it's so difficult to try and shape cornerstone talents into players that fit into a system that doesn't play to their strengths...

there's a reason that the knicks have been so terrible this season; they have selfish, isolation-oriented players without a workable on-court chemistry, and phil jackson is trying to shove them into the triangle offense. it didn't work when kurt rambis tried to implement the triangle in minnesota, and brian shaw hasn't had much luck with the triangle in denver, either. square pegs. round holes. you have to have the right kind of personnel to make any system work, so you either trade the personnel to find players who better fit the system, or you amend your ideology...

as a generic basketball philosophy, "read and react" is just fine if you have high IQ basketball talents with superior ball sharing and floor-spacing abilities. the kings have neither, and while their two best players can pass well, and can occasionally spot up away from the paint, these are not their strengths. so the logical decision would be for d'allesandro and co. to amend their ideology...

while i took issue with some of mike malone's rotation and play-calling decisions, his ability to adapt to his personnel impressed me. he knew what he had in his best players, and he put them in a position to succeed alongside each other, with an emphasis on treating demarcus like the cornerstone talent that he is; demarcus cousins makes this entire kings team "go." take that engine out of the equation, and it's like stripping a car for spare parts. there's little else of value there without cousins to keep it running properly. that's a player personnel issue, and those responsibilities surely don't fall to the coach they just fired...

in my estimation, vivek is responsible for this mess. many of us were adamant about how foolish it was first to hire a head coach before hiring a gm, and then second to hire a gm who was bound to clash with that head coach, both on ideological and hierarchical fronts. as it turns out, malone's firing was an inevitable occurrence that only validates those early concerns about vivek's acumen. it's embarrassing to see this kind of self-generated dysfunction immediately after getting out from underneath the maloofs' brand of sabotage...

pete d'allesandro is now on the clock, as far as i'm concerned. vivek backed his gm (a former lawyer and player agent) rather than his head coach (a basketball lifer who was getting competitive results from his team). so PDA's next coaching hire and his upcoming player transactions are going to be the absolute measure of his worth as a gm in the nba. if he f***s this up before the Kings open the doors to their new arena, then i'm happy to lead the calls for his dismissal...

G

GQ_Gabriel

There would be no Pop if owners acted like this Pop would have been fired too. These bad moves Malone made led us to a record we had no business getting. Do you think coaches are perfect? Malone had no talent on this team who wins with the bench he had.

It was early in the season. Whole different story if it would have been mid-season. When the season starts, teams like the Clippers and even Denver (as evident by their improved record) are not at their best by any means. Be careful wqhen you put any weight into our early season success. We played well because we have a good roster when healthy albeit a weak bench, but don't exaggerate.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That was a typo, guys. Relax. Mr. Citrus said that Coach Malone was responsible for at least 2 of our recent losses. When I said that if your coach is responsible for 1 loss the whole season, I meant to say that if your coach has caused you 2 games in such a short stretch, albeit without your best player, something has to be done.
If you're going to attribute words to me, get it right. I didn't say Malone cost us at least two of those games, I said he cost us at most two of those games.

indeed. it seems as if d'allesandro, mullin, and bratz were actually envious of the moderate success malone was having with a style of play that they disapproved of. it's ideology over results, and it's no good, because it's so difficult to try and shape cornerstone talents into players that fit into a system that doesn't play to their strengths...

there's a reason that the knicks have been so terrible this season; they have selfish, isolation-oriented players without a workable on-court chemistry, and phil jackson is trying to shove them into the triangle offense. it didn't work when kurt rambis tried to implement the triangle in minnesota, and brian shaw hasn't had much luck with the triangle in denver, either. square pegs. round holes. you have to have the right kind of personnel to make any system work, so you either trade the personnel to find players who better fit the system, or you amend your ideology...

as a generic basketball philosophy, "read and react" is just fine if you have high IQ basketball talents with superior ball sharing and floor-spacing abilities. the kings have neither, and while their two best players can pass well, and can occasionally spot up away from the paint, these are not their strengths. so the logical decision would be for d'allesandro and co. to amend their ideology...

while i took issue with some of mike malone's rotation and play-calling decisions, his ability to adapt to his personnel impressed me. he knew what he had in his best players, and he put them in a position to succeed alongside each other, with an emphasis on treating demarcus like the cornerstone talent that he is; demarcus cousins makes this entire kings team "go." take that engine out of the equation, and it's like stripping a car for spare parts. there's little else of value there without cousins to keep it running properly. that's a player personnel issue, and those responsibilities surely don't fall to the coach they just fired...

in my estimation, vivek is responsible for this mess. many of us were adamant about how foolish it was first to hire a head coach before hiring a gm, and then second to hire a gm who was bound to clash with that head coach, both on ideological and hierarchical fronts. as it turns out, malone's firing was an inevitable occurrence that only validates those early concerns about vivek's acumen. it's embarrassing to see this kind of self-generated dysfunction immediately after getting out from underneath the maloofs' brand of sabotage...

pete d'allesandro is now on the clock, as far as i'm concerned. vivek backed his gm (a former lawyer and player agent) rather than his head coach (a basketball lifer who was getting competitive results from his team). so PDA's next coaching hire and his upcoming player transactions are going to be the absolute measure of his worth as a gm in the nba. if he f***s this up before the Kings open the doors to their new arena, then i'm happy to lead the calls for his dismissal...
Just the reaction of the fans and media storm and that followed this decision has put Pete in such a hole, he's going to have to be brilliant in his next moves to save himself. Vivek has had to answer for the firing himself. That's not the position an owner wants to be in, even if Vivek is at fault as well. Marginal improvement won't cut it for PDA.

I think this basically comes down to conflict in ideals between PDA/Mullin(or Mullens :) ) and Malone.

PDA: Well how about getting out and running more
Malone: We have Cousins, we are going to run things in the high and low post and pick our spots to run
PDA: (we gotta get rid of this guy...)
This is 100% of what this was about. The PDA / Mullin camp wants to see small ball, shoot more 3s, push the ball, and see our offense (admittedly is a little 90s in style) as a ceiling to what they want to build. In their mind, Malone's approach could take us to middle of the road, but the primitive offense was going to prevent us from getting much better.

Malone wanted to keep the defense and mindset right and then evolve the offense in a functional way over time.

There is no reason to throw Malone out with crap Corbin as a placeholder now ... except that

* PDA and Malone were going to have repeated arguments over the future of this team with the owner, with both saying the other was wrong. This would eventually lead to one of them going away.

* Malone's way was starting to work. And they flew to Vegas while we were winning!

PDA and sold Vivek that if they replaced Malone with Corbin we would stay about as good as we are now and the defense and improved culture Malone install would remain (this was Vivek's point in the New10 interview) and the team could go to "Phase 2" by keeping all the good, while throwing out the bad. That is non-sense. When this team falls out of shouting distance from OKC and they are tired of their babysitter, the bad habits of crappy teams will come back. This was a rookie GM in a power struggle with his rookie coach, and the owners go to guy is friends with the GM. PDA hurt this team to save at least his vision and probably his own ass.

Just the reaction of the fans and media storm and that followed this decision has put Pete in such a hole, he's going to have to be brilliant in his next moves to save himself. Vivek has had to answer for the firing himself. That's not the position an owner wants to be in, even if Vivek is at fault as well. Marginal improvement won't cut it for PDA.
and that's how it should be when you execute a firing with as much hubris as was on display in the last few days. in professional sports, results matter. winning matters, especially when you're a team more than eight years removed from its last playoff appearance. before big cuz was lost to meningitis, the kings were winning, and they were competitive in most of the games they were losing, with most of those wins and losses coming against tough western conference opponents. i certainly quibbled with malone's decision-making in both the wins and losses, but the fact remains that a team coming off two 28-win seasons is going to have to learn how to win, and that extends to a young head coach like malone. give him the opportunity to grow with his team, though, and perhaps you've secured a future in the win column...

but the front office decided that exceeding early expectations wasn't enough. they canned malone before he could prove much of anything at all, and now they're actually claiming that they know better than everyone else, that there will be long-term dividends for firing mike malone without knowing who his long-term replacement will be. beyond such a move representing exactly how you don't conduct yourself in the nba (which, unlike most of the corporate world, sees its business regularly aired out in public, with countless millions watching), i find it an embarrassingly amateur display of peacocked egoism. the kings' brass is strutting and preening about with their mindf***ingly vague and banal proclamations about what kind of team they want to build while paying little attention to what actually gets the job done in the nba today...

the warriors have been transformed this season on the defensive side of the ball, and that is why they are championship contenders. the grizzlies are a defensive powerhouse, and that is why they're right behind golden state in the brutally competitive west. when big cuz was healthy, mike malone had his starters playing defense at that high of a level. will that continuity continue without him? with the likes of corbin or karl or jackson or mullin? it remains to be seen...

Barring a drastic turn of events THIS season, Pete's days are surely numbered. No way he gets away with this without producing. Extremely intelligent and yet inexperienced and in over his head. This move was completely void of tact.
idk i think Vivek loves him and knows Pete will stand by Vivek's side no matter what lunatic idea he comes up with next.

Last edited:
Ugh. Did you really read our debate? The question was not a matter of whether or not we should have won. NO the hell we were going to beat OKC last night without Cousins. Come on man. Phil Jackson could have coached us last night and we would still lose. The whole point is that Mr. Citrus really said that 2 of our recent losses could be blamed on the coach, which I thought was laughable. It's about how much of a negative impact the coach's rotations and in game adjustments had on the outcome of the game. I'm not endorsing Ty Corbin as the perfect replacement for Malone, either.
THe larger point is that he wasn't fired for any of those reasons you list. It was about the offense he ran, and apparently little more than that.

So you can talk all you want about the losses, but that's not what this was about. Irrelevant.

I think we should all take a step back from that ledge.

Everyone including the Kings, got a little too excited for that 5-1 start. It looked like it would be a new phase for our team, and winning would start happening. We've had a lot of setbacks since that 5-1 start. Total of 13 games without a full healthy roster.
Malone along with Cousins, gave us hope for better things to come. I think the FO made a stupid decision not to fire Malone in the off season. I understand that team wants a different philosophy, but we don't know where the kings FO wants to head.

This is like the Jim Harbaugh thing, except it's not ugly. The FO and Coach have different ideas and directions about the team. If Malone wasn't on par with everyone else, then it's ok for the FO to go and look for another option that shares their vision.

I don't think anyone thought our current roster would be as settle as it right now by the end of the season. It means we aren't done yet. Pete is still in the process of building this team.

Don't quit on this team. There are a lot of better coaches out there. Don't be fair-weather fans. Let's all just wait and see what happens next.

Hopefully the FO can prove everyone wrong AGAIN. The world raised their eyebrows when we gave a max contract to DeMarcus Cousins. They laughed at us when we traded for Rudy Gay. They yelped for us when we signed Darren Collison. They cursed at us when we didn't want Isaiah Thomas back. They predicted we'd barely reach 25wins...1/4 into the season, we already have 11.

This FO will continue to prove everyone wrong. Just be patient all. There is a plan!

I posted this on the "Bye" thread, and I thought it should be posted here too. There's still a ton of basketball left in this season
There is NOT a plan. They are figuring it out right now. As we speak. They have no ****ing clue what to do next.

They've admitted as much. Just cause you see a billionaire and think he must be smart, doesn't make it so. He's not. He has no clue how to run a basketball team. He's just doing whatever people tell him to do. At least that's his excuse. Vivek doesn't take accountability for anything.

When trying to change the culture of a team, as this FO is determined to do, patience is found where it needs to be. Ben McLemore? That kid is turning into something valuable, we had patience for him. Demarcus Cousins' emergence? We had patience through every tantrum. A coach who can't put his team in the best position to win, no matter the circumstance? That is one thing that I am glad the organization DOES NOT have patience for.
The problem is that they may trade him for Josh Smith before I finish this sentence. Something they wanted to do in the offseason but Malone stopped them.

Now it's back in thr rumor mill. I expect it to happen. And it may cost us Ben.

Vivek passed the buck pretty smoothly I thought. He clearlty put this on Mully and Petey.

If Corbin doesn't succeed, we may find ourselves with a new FO next season. All the pressure is on the GM now. You think these guys can play jazz ball? Well, the coach who wouldn't do it is gone. Let's see it. If it works worse than what Malone was doing as I strongly suspect, later Petey.