IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm starting to feel pretty good about our chances of retaining IT at a relatively cheap price. If the 8 mil a year offer was true, he probably would've taken it by now.
I do believe that once Melo and Lebron get it figured out, teams that missed out may come after IT....the Lakers for example.

That podcast was terrible! Every time you have Bruski talking about IT and/or Sanders you know that you are getting and uber fan who will have clouded judgement! I laughed and shook my head when he called IT the face of the franchise! Are you for ****ing real?!

The problem with hommies is that they have overinflated value of their favorite player and they spread that bullpoopoo. All of last season, IT was our best defender and it was the fault of the bigs for not stopping penetration or the reason that IT did. Ot average more assists is because Cousins pump faked too much before scoring! Seriously?!

Is IT better talent that Collison? Absolutely! Is IT $3 million a season better player than Collison? Probably? Is he an all-star level talent? No! Is he the right type of starting PG for this team? No!

Its not a rocket science but on one side you have IT fabs who think his poopoo doesn't stink and on the other you have a bunch that downplays everything he does well and talk it down and try to say that he is mo better than Nate Robison or some such! The truth is somewhere in the middle! A good, talented NBA guard that has flaws but is probably top 20 at his position!
It's really as simple as this - they see IT as at least as important to the franchise's success as Cousins or Gay, if not more so. With that as your basic assumption, 8 million/year is of course a no-brainer. I of course think that assumption is completely wrong. The part that really irked me is how they kept talking about IT as the face of the franchise, the only likeable and marketable guy ... and kept painting him as a victim of this organization that has never fully accepted him as their lord and saviour. Clearly none of them have ever listened to an official Kings telecast of games.

My favorite part of the whole podcast was early on when they said the chances of IT returning to the Kings are close to zero. As an IT hater, that would seriously make my day.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's really as simple as this - they see IT as at least as important to the franchise's success as Cousins or Gay, if not more so. With that as your basic assumption, 8 million/year is of course a no-brainer. I of course think that assumption is completely wrong. The part that really irked me is how they kept talking about IT as the face of the franchise, the only likeable and marketable guy ... and kept painting him as a victim of this organization that has never fully accepted him as their lord and saviour. Clearly none of them have ever listened to an official Kings telecast of games.

My favorite part of the whole podcast was early on when they said the chances of IT returning to the Kings are close to zero. As an IT hater, that would seriously make my day.
It would make my day also but certainly we do a sign and trade. We have to get something for him.

Im listening to the Bruski podcast that focuses on the Collison signing, some of the points these guys make are WAY off. Im trying to be understanding because theyre trying to fill up an hour worth of time with dialogue, but my goodness. These guys dont address defense at all. Its alot like most casual, know-nothing fans; offense, offense, offense and advanced stats.
I listened to a little bit of it and it was horrible. One of their big points in favor of IT, is that he is the only "real marketable player" on the Kings. Really bad....couldn't keep listening

dude12

Hall of Famer
I've dumped on Jason Jones more times than I can count, but unless you're a total fanboy, you cannot deny that there were times last year when other players were obviously frustrated by IT ignoring their call for the ball.
I saw it....I also saw IT not passing to Ben most of the time.....and I understand that Ben struggled but if you freeze out the youngster, not sure IT was helping the kid progress. I thought that Ben played more relaxed and/or confident when he was with Ray a the end of the year. My hope is that there is more flow and touches for Ben and Nik and that they both play well....if that happens, maybe we can start thinking about 35-41 wins.

Maybe Vivek should have hired you instead. On the plus side you'd keep the payroll down but on the negative side the roster would literally only be like 2 players (Tyreke and Cousins).

I mean it would be kind of tough for you to construct a roster when you'd spend all day telling Vivek about all of the other mistake signings that you would NOT have made......as opposed to telling him about the ones that you did make.

That seems to be the general theme around here from the negative KingsFans.com "experts" such as yourself, Brick, Rainmaker, etc. You sure do a lot of criticizing just about every trade and signing the team makes. That in conjunction with not offering up a whole lot of realistic solutions in regards to signings and trades other than "THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT TYREKE".

I'll say one thing about Vivek, when he hired PDA he hired a man of action and a man who has guts to make some moves. Whether all of those moves pan out or not is still yet to be determined however at least he's making them.
lmfao. thank you for standing up for all those who believe "makin moves; just to make em = productive"

i'll continue to bash the FO for stupid moves. no need to explain them to you as you are satisfied with their work.

at least with the previous regime we knew the motive behind the moves; they were broke.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised how many willingly are suggesting to match an affordable contract IT might sign, if he does, without adding the caveat of "does IT want to come back as a backup?".

When a player starts to emotionally detach himself from a city and a team, talks to other teams, starts picturing himself playing in another city, etc, then you bring him back, you're playing with fire. IT is a very headstrong kid. Would you really want him here if he might not want to be here as a backup? Maybe, maybe not, but no one is even discussing this angle.

To an extent it's about losing an asset, but there's the human element here which can effect chemistry and the locker room.

I'm surprised how many willingly are suggesting to match an affordable contract IT might sign, if he does, without adding the caveat of "does IT want to come back as a backup?".

When a player starts to emotionally detach himself from a city and a team, talks to other teams, starts picturing himself playing in another city, etc, then you bring him back, you're playing with fire. IT is a very headstrong kid. Would you really want him here if he might not want to be here as a backup? Maybe, maybe not, but no one is even discussing this angle.

To an extent it's about losing an asset, but there's the human element here which can effect chemistry and the locker room.
He clearly is not interested in backing up a new player who signed a contract that is lower than what he thinks he deserves

gunks

Hall of Famer
Too bad IT cant be sold on being a perennial 6th man of the year contender, because off of the bench he would be. Off the bench, IT is THE MAN. The stats he put up behind Vasquez early last season were bonkers.

Darren is a definite downgrade in talent. IT is a beast... Unfortunately he suffers from a case of Iversonitis.. It remains to be seen if Darren is an upgrade in fit...Hopefully it works out for the best. He had a good season last year on The Clips.

Thats all well and good but he is a professional and will accept the role if the team starts winning. Bobby Jackson saw himself as a starter and at time he alo thought that he was better than Bibby but it still doesn't detract that he was one of the best 6th man in the league and guy who we had on the floor in the 4th quarter! With time he accepted the role realising that its not who starts but who finoshes the game that is important!

No one wants to be a 6th man on a crap team that struggles to win 30 games when it is clear that you are a better player than the guy keeping you out of the starting line up!

What do people think that IT will just quit now that he got paid? That chip on his shoulder will not allow him to do so! He will continue to try to prove people wrong!

I'm not sure how IT talking to other teams qualifies as detaching himself from the city. He has always supported the city such as when he was the only player to attend the city council meeting on the arena. It's called free-agency. You are allowed to talk to other teams. Tyreke even talked to multiple teams when he was a RFA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thats all well and good but he is a professional and will accept the role if the team starts winning. Bobby Jackson saw himself as a starter and at time he alo thought that he was better than Bibby but it still doesn't detract that he was one of the best 6th man in the league and guy who we had on the floor in the 4th quarter! With time he accepted the role realising that its not who starts but who finoshes the game that is important!

No one wants to be a 6th man on a poopoo team that struggles to win 30 games when it is clear that you are a better player than the guy keeping you out of the starting line up!

What do people think that IT will just quit now that he got paid? That chip on his shoulder will not allow him to do so! He will continue to try to prove people wrong!
IT is not remotely at that point yet. You have to remember BJax had been scorned and almost out of the league -- that resets you a bit. And BJax joined a playoff team with something going before he showed up. if IT ever were to go on the BJax journey, it would not be for us. It would be for some playoff team he ended up on in the future. If he signs with the Heat, it might work there if the Big Three all return. In any case, that kind of distraction just isn't going to work for us. IT is more talented than Collison. He knows it. If he returns he will try to crush him in practice and take his spot back. Just who he is. Just not what we need. We need some team guys here, and we've got plenty of holes to fill.

Despite Gerbil's inability to get anything done on draft day or early on here, I can't help but feel he is desperately trying to do something big in the background. you can't say you are going to change the team and not do so. You can't convince Rudy to return, then show him no tangible improvements. You can't ask Cuz to lose for you again and receive media abuse/doubts fro another year. He knows this as well as I do.

I listened to a little bit of it and it was horrible. One of their big points in favor of IT, is that he is the only "real marketable player" on the Kings. Really bad....couldn't keep listening
Or how about suggesting we can play both IT and Collision at the same time like they did in LA with Chris Paul? Anyone who watches Chris Paul and Isaiah Thomas play and can come away with the conclusion that they play comparable styles on offense and defense (in order to accommodate Collision who they "knocked" as a bad defender and score first guy) is either blind or stupid.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Or how about suggesting we can play both IT and Collision at the same time like they did in LA with Chris Paul? Anyone who watches Chris Paul and Isaiah Thomas play and can come away with the conclusion that they play comparable styles on offense and defense (in order to accommodate Collision who they "knocked" as a bad defender and score first guy) is either blind or stupid.
I rarely listen to podcasts of any kind. I know Bruski was involved in this piece of stupidity, but who else?

That cowbell kingdom podcast is ridiculously dumb. I'm kind of embarrassed for all involved there. "He scores points and sells pizzas" is a small minded point of view.

I rarely listen to podcasts of any kind. I know Bruski was involved in this piece of stupidity, but who else?
James Ham and Jonathan Santiago, Cowbell Kingdom guys. I agree that the marketability aspect of IT shouldn't be a reason to keep him, but also agree with them that for a guy that has showed up to Arena issues, helped around the community and just being an overall honorable representative of a franchise that has been the face of mediocrity for years(Maloofs, Cousin's maturity issues, losing culture, terrible player development, list goes on). I think he deserves better treatment than just being dumped to the side of the road like common trash(which is essentially how he has been treated by this franchise). This also affects the perception of players towards our franchise, if they treat IT like that, how will they treat me when my contract is up? An NBA team is just like any other workplace, a company should take care of employees that have bent over backwards for them, and no one can argue that IT hasn't worked harder than any other King to put on a uniform over the last 3 years(thats including Cousins, Tyreke, everyone).

The other arguement I agree with is the talent bleed aspect, especially with us being a small market team. This of course depends on the price we would have to pay to match the contract. If you think you are paying too much for a guy that doesn't fit, than yes you try and work a sign and trade and get what you can. However if the price is reasonable, you have to match purely on the basis that you aren't getting any free agents on the level of an IT to come to Sacramento basically ever, but especially as the bad team we currently are.

That cowbell kingdom podcast is ridiculously dumb. I'm kind of embarrassed for all involved there. "He scores points and sells pizzas" is a small minded point of view.
He also has good behavior in the community, so that means pick up the phone at the strike of midnight on July 1st....and automatic 'must match' to show respect o_O

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We're not dumping him, we made him an offer. We're not going to overpay. And we've made our contingency plan to insure he doesn't have us by the balls into signing a bad deal.

Either the money he wants isn't there, the teams that want him at his $$$ figure (Detroit?) can't sign without a S&T or everybody is waiting for the big fish to settle (which clearly means IT is plan B or plan C for the other teams), it doesn't matter.

He's either holding out for more than the market will bear or something is being worked out behind the scenes.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
James Ham and Jonathan Santiago, Cowbell Kingdom guys. I agree that the marketability aspect of IT shouldn't be a reason to keep him, but also agree with them that for a guy that has showed up to Arena issues, helped around the community and just being an overall honorable representative of a franchise that has been the face of mediocrity for years(Maloofs, Cousin's maturity issues, losing culture, terrible player development, list goes on). I think he deserves better treatment than just being dumped to the side of the road like common trash(which is essentially how he has been treated by this franchise). This also affects the perception of players towards our franchise, if they treat IT like that, how will they treat me when my contract is up? An NBA team is just like any other workplace, a company should take care of employees that have bent over backwards for them, and no one can argue that IT hasn't worked harder than any other King to put on a uniform over the last 3 years(thats including Cousins, Tyreke, everyone).

The other arguement I agree with is the talent bleed aspect, especially with us being a small market team. This of course depends on the price we would have to pay to match the contract. If you think you are paying too much for a guy that doesn't fit, than yes you try and work a sign and trade and get what you can. However if the price is reasonable, you have to match purely on the basis that you aren't getting any free agents on the level of an IT to come to Sacramento basically ever, but especially as the bad team we currently are.
Isaiah was the last pick in the draft and we cleared the board for him to basically do whatever he wanted this season. We made the qualifying offer and he's free to seek out the biggest contract he can get in free agency. If he indicated some willingness to stick around as a bench spark plug things might have been different, but we're not handcuffed to IT as the starter simply because that's what he sees his role to be. We went out and covered our bases. I don't see how we did Isaiah wrong here at all from a player's perspective.

The rest is the same argument we've already heard two dozen times -- small market, can't afford to lose players for nothing, no one else is coming. We're not building a collection of assets here, we're trying to build a winning team. If we're ever going to get there we have to graduate beyond that mentality of "this guy could be traded for something so we'll keep him even though he doesn't fit" and adopt a new mentality of "we need a player who can do X, where do we get that player?" That's the kind of thinking which led to the Collison signing. He may not be an All Star but he fits a need and he's affordable and that's what we need to push us one step forward at this time.

We're not dumping him, we made him an offer. We're not going to overpay. And we've made our contingency plan to insure he doesn't have us by the balls into signing a bad deal.

Either the money he wants isn't there, the teams that want him at his $$$ figure (Detroit?) can't sign without a S&T or everybody is waiting for the big fish to settle (which clearly means IT is plan B or plan C for the other teams), it doesn't matter.

He's either holding out for more than the market will bear or something is being worked out behind the scenes.
When you roll out the red carpet for Rudy Gay, make it public that you want him to stay and then when asked about IT its a "Ehhh, we'll talk", thats HUGE disrespect. If he isn't part of your plans for the future that is fine, but he should be treated with more dignity for how hard he has worked and performed for your mediocre franchise.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Or we made him an offer in the range of what we thought he was worth and he said no thanks I'm shopping around.
And I'm guessing the Detroit deal was something his agent leaked to try and up his value because that was days ago and there is no movement.

Isaiah was the last pick in the draft and we cleared the board for him to basically do whatever he wanted this season. We made the qualifying offer and he's free to seek out the biggest contract he can get in free agency. If he indicated some willingness to stick around as a bench spark plug things might have been different, but we're not handcuffed to IT as the starter simply because that's what he sees his role to be. We went out and covered our bases. I don't see how we did Isaiah wrong here at all from a player's perspective.

The rest is the same argument we've already heard two dozen times -- small market, can't afford to lose players for nothing, no one else is coming. We're not building a collection of assets here, we're trying to build a winning team. If we're ever going to get there we have to graduate beyond that mentality of "this guy could be traded for something so we'll keep him even though he doesn't fit" and adopt a new mentality of "we need a player who can do X, where do we get that player?" That's the kind of thinking which led to the Collison signing. He may not be an All Star but he fits a need and he's affordable and that's what we need to push us one step forward at this time.
If this was the case Rudy Gay wouldn't be on our roster. The FO clearly didn't see Tyreke in our future and could've let him walk for nothing, fortunately they at least go Vasquez out of it and were able to turn that plus other scraps for Gay(whose value was at an all time low). That is the only way we get high level talents to come to Sacramento, IT is a high level talent that will produce for you or at the very least will help you get a better fitting piece down the road.

Or we made him an offer in the range of what we thought he was worth and he said no thanks I'm shopping around.
And I'm guessing the Detroit deal was something his agent leaked to try and up his value because that was days ago and there is no movement.
Well theres no question IT is trying to get his money, as he should as a pro(but especially given the fact that he was making NBA minimum wage for 3 years and way outperforming his salary). I don't think Detroit can even offer hin $8 million anymore without a sign and trade, the Lakers will wait for Carmelo and the Heat need to figure out the big 3 situation before trying to sign IT. Detroit seems the most likely place he goes, the Lakers could offer him bigger contract if they fail to sign Melo also.

When you roll out the red carpet for Rudy Gay, make it public that you want him to stay and then when asked about IT its a "Ehhh, we'll talk", thats HUGE disrespect. If he isn't part of your plans for the future that is fine, but he should be treated with more dignity for how hard he has worked and performed for your mediocre franchise.
Thats just being all warm and fuzzy! Fact is that NBA is a star oriented league and as nice a player as he is, he does not hold a candle to Rudy Gay. He diesn't share that opinion and his fans don't share that opinion but it is a fact! They damn well should roll out the red carpet for Rudy Gay type talent. At the same time in their professional career, someone dropped a max deal on Rudy Gay and no one will be doing that with Isaiah. That right there tells you how the rest of the league see the talent differential!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I am not worried about him quiting, not at all.

The bolded part is exactly what I'd be worried about, to the detriment of the team.

Thats just being all warm and fuzzy! Fact is that NBA is a star oriented league and as nice a player as he is, he does not hold a candle to Rudy Gay. He diesn't share that opinion and his fans don't share that opinion but it is a fact! They damn well should roll out the red carpet for Rudy Gay type talent. At the same time in their professional career, someone dropped a max deal on Rudy Gay and no one will be doing that with Isaiah. That right there tells you how the rest of the league see the talent differential!
Gay is a very good player but you can't argue that he isn't EXTREMELY overpaid, especially for this coming season. He isn't a max player and thats why the Grizzlies and Raptors were quick to get rid of him. At most I would feel comfortable paying Gay $12-$13 million, that puts him in tier 2 level players. In that case Thomas falls into the tier 3 category ($7-$10 million). Thomas isn't a guy you roll the red carpet for(and Rudy probably isn't either unless your a small market like us). Its a PR move more than anything, you treat players with respect and dignity(especially the ones that have worked their tails off for you), now you've got a disgruntled former employee who tells other potential employees to stay away from Sacramento because they don't treat you right over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.