Kings sign Darren Collison

My take is JT spoke the truth. You can tell the lack of ball movement really upset him. He is saying the same thing a lot of us fans have been saying. PASS the freaking ball! I'm for JT staying unless a player is brought in who defends the 4/5 spot better. And folks lets be honest, that is a small list. JT defending the other teams best Big saved Cousins getting in foul trouble.

Last edited:
He has exhibited great professionalism, however if the Kings land Smith w/o giving up Thompson, he will be hard pressed for minutes. A front court of Rudy/Smith/Cuz will have Landry (who did well coming off the bench in GS a year ago), come off as our back-up PF. We still have Reggie Evans who of course does not have much offensive capabilities, but he serves as a relentless motor and big body who will devour rebounds for this team when Cousins gets into foul trouble or needs rest. I think it'll be great for both Thompson and the Kings to package Thompson in a deal (if he was not part of the Smith trade).

At the end of the day, Rondo and/or Smith can be coming to the Kings this offseason. If either one or both come to our team, watch out.
You trade Landry over JT any day of the week abd twice on sundays!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Smith is a good and willing passer also. Demarcus averaged 3 ast and we talk about him being a good passer. Smith for his career averages over 3 and had two years of over 4 ast per game
I believe I mentioned that Smith was a very good passer. I did leave out willing, but I assumed that everyone would know that since it usually goes along with being a good passer.

I've always been all for JT getting a few more shots. He scores at a high percentage and actually has some pretty impressive post moves these days.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I believe I mentioned that Smith was a very good passer. I did leave out willing, but I assumed that everyone would know that since it usually goes along with being a good passer.
??? Why the attitude. I was agreeing with you. Just adding some numerical assist stats for others to see. Is that what this board has come to? A quote automatically means defiance?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the vid. I wasn't attacking JT, sorry if some feel that's where I was coming form. I want him on this team as our third big. I just think he may think he is a starting caliber player, and unfortunately that is only on a team with 3 megastars with max deals like Miami or one that is going to struggle to win 33% of their games.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is why athletes speak in meaningless generalities. JT is simply speaking the truth. He said what he was unhappy with but I don't call that whining. What he is complaining about is what just about everybody on this forum has complained about and that is the excessive iso ball. Should we dump him for telling the truth?

BTW, I think the iso ball problem is being taken care of.

The thing we need to consider with Smith is whether his season in Detroit is start of the decline or a bad season in a team where he was asked to do too much and did not really fit. He has 3 years left at $13.5 million. He has been in the league a long time and those legs have a few miles on them. At worst we are stuck with that contract for 2.5 seasons at which point he becomes a LARGE expiring deal.

He was #1 option in Detroit which no doubt would attribute to his declining deficiency. With us he would be #3 option at best. Is he willing to be 12-14ppg, 8-9rpg, 1.5-2bpg player for us? If he is, then it will work. If not then we are in for a bit of a rough patch.

Smith might be undersized at PF but he is a multi skilled player. He can score and do so efficiently up to a certain usage rate. Over that point and he becomes an inefficient chucker!!!

He can pass. He can hadnke the ball a bit and can be a teriffic help defender when he wants to be!

He could work out well for us if he is willing to be a supplementary piece. Not a perfect fit but one that could work out. He is a two way player...or more like he can be when he wants to be. I am willing to take that risk provided that Malone can get everyone to buy into team basketball and ball movement. I know Cousins is unselfish and a willing passer! I know that Gay is not selfish! I do have questions with Smith but the rest of the team (except Landry) are all willing passers and that is important!

The way I look at it, Smith might be the best most talented player we can get for IT and if we can shed Landry's contract with that then even better for us. If that is what we can do, then I am happy with that but I would be a bit apprehensive like Brick and wonder if this will work. Worth a shot I think!

My take is JT spoke the truth. You can tell the lack of ball movement really upset him. He is saying the same thing a lot of us fans have been saying. PASS the freaking ball! I'm for JT staying unless a player is brought in who defends the 4/5 spot better. And folks lets be honest, that is a small list. JT defending the other teams best Big saved Cousins getting in foul trouble.
Although he seemed to be demanding more shots (10-12/gm), I think what he really would like is simply to be part of the offense - to touch the ball more, to be fed the ball when he's open etc. Interesting how he says that the team his rookie year made the extra pass.

It's no secret that the player that teed him off the most was IT. Again, there was that 'defining' play for his frustrations, where he and IT broke out on a fast brake, he was wide open as an obvious trailer...and IT ignored him.

I wonder if things can really open up and clear the slate for him, with Collison and Ray

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He has exhibited great professionalism, however if the Kings land Smith w/o giving up Thompson, he will be hard pressed for minutes. A front court of Rudy/Smith/Cuz will have Landry (who did well coming off the bench in GS a year ago), come off as our back-up PF. We still have Reggie Evans who of course does not have much offensive capabilities, but he serves as a relentless motor and big body who will devour rebounds for this team when Cousins gets into foul trouble or needs rest. I think it'll be great for both Thompson and the Kings to package Thompson in a deal (if he was not part of the Smith trade).
I've always liked Thompson, and I've never made a secret of it. He's not a star, but he's a solid player, and there's no shame in that. And it's not as if I feel like we should keep him at all costs: if we can trade Thompson, and get a better player at his position, then I would wish him fair winds and following seas. I have (and still do) questioned whether the likes of Quincy Acy and Reggie Evans qualify as "better" players, but that is neither here nor there at this time.

With that having been said, and relative to the post quoted above, Jason Thompson can back up the 5 spot. And, to the best of my knowledge, he is still the only player currently under contract who fills that particular billet. For that reason, if for no other, I would say that Landry absolutely has to be the first to go between the two. He can't back up the 5, and neither can any of the other "power" forwards we have on the payroll. If the trade is indeed for Smith, a S&T deal with Thomas would have to involve Landry, Williams, Terry or Thompson, and Thompson is the only player out of those four who doesn't have at least two other guys that can play his position.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I've always liked Thompson, and I've never made a secret of it. He's not a star, but he's a solid player, and there's no shame in that. And it's not as if I feel like we should keep him at all costs: if we can trade Thompson, and get a better player at his position, then I would wish him fair winds and following seas. I have (and still do) questioned whether the likes of Quincy Acy and Reggie Evans qualify as "better" players, but that is neither here nor there at this time.

With that having been said, and relative to the post quoted above, Jason Thompson can back up the 5 spot. And, to the best of my knowledge, he is still the only player currently under contract who fills that particular billet. For that reason, if for no other, I would say that Landry absolutely has to be the first to go between the two. He can't back up the 5, and neither can any of the other "power" forwards we have on the payroll. If the trade is indeed for Smith, a S&T deal with Thomas would have to involve Landry, Williams, Terry or Thompson, and Thompson is the only player out of those four who doesn't have at least two other guys that can play his position.
Almost has to be Williams right. After all with smith leaving they need at the very least a backup SF

Almost has to be Williams right. After all with smith leaving they need at the very least a backup SF
But so would we! I would like to see us add a veteran swingman who can play both SG and SG for two reasons

1. Insurance for the Stauskas/McLemore. We cannot go into the season with only these two as our options at SG. That is a HUGE gamble
2. Also gives us a back up for Rudy...someone who ideally is good as a 3 and D type. Maybe even Garcia!

landry has to be the one to go. they have to eat that contract if they want IT. it was a huge mistake for them to give him that contract just for moral support.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I really think they need to eat Landry. I might be biased because I am an Arizona fan but I still like hanging onto Derrick Williams. Landry becomes expensive and redundant if we can get any PF and keep JT. Derrick is cheaper for spot minutes at the 3/4. Plus he's younger and cheaper.

I don't think the numbers work with Derrick either, but it depends how much they want to pay IT. I am guessing since we are not looking to resign IT now his overall value has gone down. IT basically thought we needed him more than he needed us and that upped his market value.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But so would we! I would like to see us add a veteran swingman who can play both SG and SG for two reasons

1. Insurance for the Stauskas/McLemore. We cannot go into the season with only these two as our options at SG. That is a HUGE gamble
2. Also gives us a back up for Rudy...someone who ideally is good as a 3 and D type. Maybe even Garcia!

We've got Outlaw, don't we?

We've got Outlaw, don't we?
Unfortunately we do but I prefer someone a bit better. A vet player who can hold down the position if you like if Stauskas and/or McLemore don't come on as hoped but also back up Gay with some 3 and D minutes.

I mentioned Garcia as an example because he can be burried on the bench and still be a great team mate, or he can come in and start for you for stretches. He is also someone liked by Cousins. In Cousins' early days Garcia was one guy who could "calm him down" or rib him a bit in a brotherly way! Thats the type of player we should be looking at. Outlaw just jacks them up whenever he touches it. His expiring contract might be included in a trade anyway and Garcia could probably be had for a veteran's minimum.

K

KingMilz

Unfortunately we do but I prefer someone a bit better. A vet player who can hold down the position if you like if Stauskas and/or McLemore don't come on as hoped but also back up Gay with some 3 and D minutes.

I mentioned Garcia as an example because he can be burried on the bench and still be a great team mate, or he can come in and start for you for stretches. He is also someone liked by Cousins. In Cousins' early days Garcia was one guy who could "calm him down" or rib him a bit in a brotherly way! Thats the type of player we should be looking at. Outlaw just jacks them up whenever he touches it. His expiring contract might be included in a trade anyway and Garcia could probably be had for a veteran's minimum.
I would go after Middleton from the Bucks he's played very well last year and is imo a starting level SF and cover for Rudy if he bails after this year, the Bucks got Greek Freak/Parker (who you know they will do everthing to develop) so we could offer Derrick Willaims for him we could also do a package for Middleton and Sanders for a number of our pieces if the Bucks are interested.

I would go after Middleton from the Bucks he's played very well last year and is imo a starting level SF and cover for Rudy if he bails after this year, the Bucks got Greek Freak/Parker (who you know they will do everthing to develop) so we could offer Derrick Willaims for him we could also do a package for Middleton and Sanders for a number of our pieces if the Bucks are interested.
But he doesn't provide SG cover! IMHO the player needs to be a swingman to cover both spots as insurance

Glenn

Hall of Famer

You can only have so many players and so much skill at one position. Outlaw is a bargain no matter what you think of him. We have other needs that need addressing other than having 4 people who can be a SG. Besides, I have faith in Stauskas and certainly haven't given up on Mclemore. I think we sink or swim with them for now.

First time poster. How are you guys?

Not sure about Collison as a starter. He seems to be very good as a backup but i think he fits the team more. Just not sure if hes starting material.

We still have Jason Terry on our roster, if that amounts to anything. We can have him as insurance if Stauskas/McLemore cannot get the job done, and D-Will can play back-up 3, and even 4 for Rudy/Smith. Outlaw is there too. Not the best options, although I do have optimism for D-Will to achieve his potential.

I really think they need to eat Landry. I might be biased because I am an Arizona fan but I still like hanging onto Derrick Williams.
I hope we give Derrick more time. It isn't something that would occur to you intuitively because Derrick has been in the league a couple years, but Derrick Williams and Ray McCallum are the exact same age. Derrick is so athletic I would think he could still find his stride in the league at least as a good second unit SF. And he owns one of the most thrilling dunking nights at Arco already - in that game vs the Clippers last year he looked like a superstar. I hope we keep him.

Honestly unless we get a get a game changer in a s&t which is seeming more and more unlikely, I would like to hang on to d will if possible. He is a reasonable back up going forward who on occasion delivers flashes of his high potential. At his current salary he is a bit expensive but thos guy desperately wants to be wanted. Bite the bullet for a year and hope he develops towards his potential. Next year it is unlikely the market will be great for him and you could probably get him for 2-3million which is reasonable for his current abilities and cheap for his extremely high potential.

As far as outlaw, the guys can be used in spells at 3 positions (2-4) so I dont mind hanging on to him. He also is relatively cheap. If I could get rid of landry that would be great. I actually like his scoring ability when healthy but this team doesnt need that particular talent. I would actually be happy turning him and IT into smith who is a capable 3rd scoring option but more importantly a great shot blocker. We just got to get him to play more of ibaka's offensive game of catch/shoot inside the arch, preferably near to the basket where he has been pretty close to 50% shooting. I really thing keeping JT as your main backup with acy and evans for spot moments/energy will make for a more dynamic team.

Collison/McCallum
Mclemore/Stauskas/Mccalum/outlaw
Gay/Williams/outlaw
Smith/JT/Evans/Acy
Cousins/JT/Evans

The key be restrestricting smith to 12 - 15 shots range on most nights.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First time poster. How are you guys?

Not sure about Collison as a starter. He seems to be very good as a backup but i think he fits the team more. Just not sure if hes starting material.
Welcome to KF! (Just so you know right away, not all of us are guys. ;) )

Collison is intriguing. While I'm not sure of him as a starter quite yet either, it's a chance worth taking. I do think he'll fit better with our core going forward. It's gonna be an interesting year to be a Kings fan.

I hope we give Derrick more time. It isn't something that would occur to you intuitively because Derrick has been in the league a couple years, but Derrick Williams and Ray McCallum are the exact same age. Derrick is so athletic I would think he could still find his stride in the league at least as a good second unit SF. And he owns one of the most thrilling dunking nights at Arco already - in that game vs the Clippers last year he looked like a superstar. I hope we keep him.
Cosigned.