Kings select for the 8th pick - Nik Stauskas

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I find it pretty funny that Nik keeps getting compared to white role players.
I have been more than a little disturbed by that too. Hate when white guys get compared to white guys, and black guys to black guys. But having been very conscious of that I have been having a hard time thinking of black guys (or any non-caucassions) who fit the profile:

elite shooter
SGs with some swing ability
good ballhandling ability
can create their own shot
work the pick and roll
can create shots for others/good passing awareness/even a little flash
a little moxie/clutch potential. confidence.
better athlete than you might think
defense lacking or at best mediocre

who am I missing? Guys like Harden and Gordon just seemed wrong, and highly ambitious.

Sounds a lot like Harden. If Stauskas had a beard, I wouldn't make the comparison. ;)

Definitely Roy fits that model.

Ginobilli isn't white, he is a friar.

All that being said, those guys don't hold a candle to Stauskas. ;)

I can see why Jalen Rose said Drazen too. But Drazen was Drazen.

I was fortunate enough to watch Drazen at Arco a long long time ago. I was watching him warm up at the 3pt corner, standing about 10 feet behind him. Dude didn't miss, didn't hit the rim. At that time, I had never seen anything like it. Much more of a bulldog though.

White guy, but Hinrich might be a non-exciting comp.

Mitch Richmond could handle and do almost all on that list too. Kings just drafted Mitch 3.0!

I have been more than a little disturbed by that too. Hate when white guys get compared to white guys, and black guys to black guys. But having been very conscious of that I have been having a hard time thinking of black guys (or any non-caucassions) who fit the profile:

elite shooter
work the pick and roll

who am I missing? Guys like Harden and Gordon just seemed wrong, and highly ambitious.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Brandon Roy. He and Stauskus are almost identical physically, too. The big differences are that Roy was more explosive and a better rebounder, while Stauskus is a better shooter (comparing their collegiate careers).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Hopefully in the coming weeks or days we will see Mclemore and maybe a future pick for Rondo.

There has to be something more. Why on earth draft 2 SGs in 2 lotteries back to back. That just shows that you screwed up the first time. This front office is starting to irritate me. I think I will start calling PDA the gerbil now too.
My view is that if you have screwed up and still have a goal in mind, try to find the guy who solves the problem. Leave ego aside. We had two SGs before this draft, Ben and Outlaw. Drafting a good one makes sense. I would have preferred Vonleh but we already have Landry. I did not want Payton which seems to go against 90% of the forum and I am a bit ambivalent. Payton is great at everything but jump shooting and apparently we wanted the jump shooter (Nik is more than that). This may allow Ben a little room to ease into the position as I have not given up on him. These two guys are called SGs but they have very different types pf games with Nik being a decent distributor.

Why? There's been lots of excellent white role players in the NBA
Nobody drafts a player with the 8th pick with the expectation of being a role player unless that team is a playoff team and acquired the pick in a trade. Sacramento is not one of those teams and the 8th pick should one of the best players on the team. Nobody wants a Kyle Korver with the 8th pick.

K

KingMilz

Nobody drafts a player with the 8th pick with the expectation of being a role player unless that team is a playoff team and acquired the pick in a trade. Sacramento is not one of those teams and the 8th pick should one of the best players on the team. Nobody wants a Kyle Korver with the 8th pick.
The reality is but 99% of the players that are drafted unless it's a stacked draft class as going to be average to good role players, if Nik is a good role player than imo for a 8th pick that's fine. Players like Trevor Ariza/Chandler Parsons are role players but they are excellent players in general.

As long as he's not a bust and can actually contribute something is what matters.

elite shooter
work the pick and roll

agreed. It's tough to find a guy in the NBA that Stauskas is like. He has aspects of his game that are very similar to a variety of players. And really his only weakness at this point is his defense. Even then, it's not a huge issue. I think scouts have really blown it out of proportion. He made huge defensive plays for us this past year.

Honestly, you take Nik off the Michigan team last year and we would have been lucky to win twenty games.

The reality is but 99% of the players that are drafted unless it's a stacked draft class as going to be average to good role players, if Nik is a good role player than imo for a 8th pick that's fine. Players like Trevor Ariza/Chandler Parsons are role players but they are excellent players in general.

As long as he's not a bust and can actually contribute something is what matters.
I agree, again. Most good players in the draft turn out to be role players. However, comparing a #8 pick to a role player before he's even played is a bit...unusual. He may become a good role player, but all the role players that have been mentioned are white and really wouldn't be worthy of a #8 pick. Most white players are compared to each other and while that may be true sometimes, it's not always the case. I mean Jeff Hornacek...really?

K

KingMilz

I agree, again. Most good players in the draft turn out to be role players. However, comparing a #8 pick to a role player before he's even played is a bit...unusual. He may become a good role player, but all the role players that have been mentioned are white and really wouldn't be worthy of a #8 pick. Most white players are compared to each other and while that may be true sometimes, it's not always the case. I mean Jeff Hornacek...really?
A 2nd/3rd option on a team that went to the NBA finals is not bad at all, if Nik is a capable 3rd option in the NBA than that's awesome for a 8th pick.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Brandon Roy. He and Stauskus are almost identical physically, too. The big differences are that Roy was more explosive and a better rebounder, while Stauskus is a better shooter (comparing their collegiate careers).
This may actually be a good comparison. I'd say Roy minus the explosiveness and ability to rebound and add Peja's three with quicker release. I think you guys are going to be surprised at how fast the ball comes out of his hands. All of those backyard three drills have really made him quicker. The ability to drive is definitely there, especially on bigger guards and he'll rise over the smaller guards whenever he wants.

Mr. Stauskas certainly has some big shoes to fill by wearing that number. A number that, ironically, belonged to my favorite Kings player of all time, hands down. I loved Bibby. If Stauskas becomes even half the player Mike was, with the lights out shooting (or even better) that we got from Peja, Kings fans, we will be happy...

Best case scenario is the rookie comes in ready to contribute immediately & Ben finds his stride coming back for his sophomore season strong. Then we will have two long range hitters at the 2 guard that play off the ball and keep the defense honest on Cuz and Rudy.

I still am not liking this draft pick at all regardless to who people compare him to. He was one of my busts but I didn't think he would go top 10 so I didn't pay as much attention to him.

Best case scenario is the rookie comes in ready to contribute immediately & Ben finds his stride coming back for his sophomore season strong. Then we will have two long range hitters at the 2 guard that play off the ball and keep the defense honest on Cuz and Rudy.
Looking forward to seeing Ben without "rookie face." Summer League will probably be another disaster for him though, honestly. He's better when there are NBA vets around him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mr. Stauskas certainly has some big shoes to fill by wearing that number. A number that, ironically, belonged to my favorite Kings player of all time, hands down. I loved Bibby. If Stauskas becomes even half the player Mike was, with the lights out shooting (or even better) that we got from Peja, Kings fans, we will be happy...
Perils of retiring numbers. The Kings are hardly the most decorated franchise, but they've been around for a very long time, and over time enough numbers have been retired that the only numbers available to a player from 1-15 are 3,5,7,8,9,10,13 Hence why we keep seeing the same numbers again and again. Gotta start wearing football numbers to get up someplace clear.

I still am not liking this draft pick at all regardless to who people compare him to. He was one of my busts but I didn't think he would go top 10 so I didn't pay as much attention to him.
That is surprising to me.

Outside of Parker, Stauskas was probably the surest bet for me. (Not that I would have drafted Stauskas 2nd, but there is very little question about both his position and his offensive game.)

- Wiggins doesn't have the mentality right now to be 'the man', and it's something that will probably take a few years to come. He also doesn't have a great handle and is only a decent shooter. I expect he'll do well in getting to his very high upside, but given the same opportunities, Stauskas probably is going to be the better rookie due to his skillset and mindset.
- Embiid's foot problem is a problem that has doomed big men. He should be fantastic if he can remain injury free...but can he?
- Exum is completely unknown.
- Randle isn't big/long enough to bully NBA bigs like he did in highschool/college. I like his post game at Kentucky, but will it translate against NBA size/length.
- Gordon has the hops but he is the size of a SF with a PF's length/game, and the FT shooting scares me into thinking that he might be a non-shooting tweener PF his entire career.
- Smart isn't a good shooter and he isn't a pass-first PG. He has a high-usage bully-type game that might not translate against NBA defensive schemes.
- Vonleh is a project. He's got a great mid-range touch, but is he only going to be a stretch-4 or will become a more valuable versatile big?
- McDermott has a great offensive game, but he's stuck in the too small for PF, might not be quick/athletic enough to play SF mode. I still don't know what he is and I love his offensive game.
- Peyton can't shoot, as everyone has mentioned.

Stauskas comes ready-made as a shooting guard. Due to his size/athleticism/skills he has a definite position, which automatically makes him less risky then some of the other lottery picks.
He also has the skills necessary to swing to PG on occasion which gives him great versatility.

On the offensive end the only player who is clearly better than Stauskas, starting on Day 1 is Parker...and Parker is just a flat-out stud.
Stauskas will have defensive issues, but pretty much 80% of offensive versatile players do have defensive issues, so there is no way he 'busts' due to his defense.

And his ability to shoot, pass, handle, and play the PnR, pretty much guarantees that he won't bust due to offense. And the way he transformed his game from his freshman year to sophomore year shows how hard of a worker he is, so he isn't going to bust due to lack of effort. I just see little-to-no bust potential for Stauskas. He certainly doesn't have the highest potential, but he's one of the players that I really don't worry about becoming at the least a solid NBA player.

I can see why Jalen Rose said Drazen too. But Drazen was Drazen.

I was fortunate enough to watch Drazen at Arco a long long time ago. I was watching him warm up at the 3pt corner, standing about 10 feet behind him. Dude didn't miss, didn't hit the rim. At that time, I had never seen anything like it. Much more of a bulldog though.
As someone who was born is former Yugoslavia who grew up watching the likes of Divac, Paspalj, Kukoč, Petrović et al. coming through the ranks, I find it really hard to accept that anyone is quite like the late Dražen! He was just a workaholic, a gym rat that pissed off his former GF at the time as she was complaining that he spent more time in the gym with basketball that he did with her.

I still remember watching as a snotty little kid a game of basketball on TV where I saw Dražen score 112 points in a game. And this was not some bush league. It was arguably the toughest league in europe at the time. If Stauskas ends up being half the player that late Dražen was, this Kings fan will be over the moon!

The homer in me coming out now, but I'm liking Nik's personality already. His IQ and work ethic will hopefully rub off on some other guys on our team. If he chips in with 12 points on 40% 3pt shooting and thus spaces the floor in his rookie year then it's all good, everything else is gravy. Have to admire a guy who doesn't just talk about working on his weaknesses, but actively dedicates hours and hours every day to making himself better. Get the feeling that he puts his money where his mouth is and works his ass off. Easy to say the right things, but clear that he actually did the right things. Love that statement from him.

BTW, it is hilarious that people only compare white players to other white players (and vice versa), but sometimes, there's a genuine reason for it. Though I did laugh when one of the ESPN guys compared Kyle Anderson to Tayshaun Prince. They couldn't be further from each other as players, but because Kyle is the same complexion as Tayshuan, apparently it's a legit comparison. I genuinely lol'd at that because it was so typical of the lazy comparisons that we so often see.

Nik reminds me of Klay Thompson. Lights out shooter and good ball handler. Can play both shooting guard and small forward.

I think PDA saw a young Klay Thompson in him. Since there is no way the Kings get Klay, why not draft a younger version of him?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nik reminds me of Klay Thompson. Lights out shooter and good ball handler. Can play both shooting guard and small forward.

I think PDA saw a young Klay Thompson in him. Since there is no way the Kings get Klay, why not draft a younger version of him?
I think PDA saw and sees a young player with a great attitude, a lot of talent and a hunger for winning that will meld well with Cuz and Rudy. I'm willing to let Nik show us who he is instead of trying to find a current player to compare him to.

How about a reality check. Out of he first seven in this good draft you would be lucky to find three immediate starters. You pick and you hope that your development program for your new guy pays off, the sooner the better. A role player is an essential part of any team from the best to the worst.

pshn80 is entitled to his opinion. You guys are sounding like attorneys grilling a hostile witness.

For the record, I also have a lot of confidence in our front office and in PDA. I might be wrong, but I firmly believe there is simply not enough evidence to judge his performance quite yet.
It was a simple question. I think you're being overly sensitive.
Ranadive, experience, knows the people and has for a long time, knows the rules, the elements of the business in all it's aspects, has good, experienced basketball advisors and knows it himself, smarter than hell, communicates well, is committed, has a great boss and the backing he needs - what's not to like? Tell me why I shouldn't be confident. Is it Landry? Is it Gay? Is it Mah a Boute? Is it Vasquez? is it McLemore? Any of the others? I have no problem with these transactions. Most worked or are working, some not so well. That's the game. Priorities? His and yours and mine might not always match but I really believe he knows what he's doing and he has plans. I say plans because as you know in this business you better be flexible. So I am quite confident in his reign. I hope he hits more thn he misses.
My concerns and questions are about PDA and our FO, not Vivek's business acumen, success or leadership capabilities.

Not answering our problems at PG or PF, stacking offensive players on top of one another while appearing to ignore the other side of the ball, admitting Landry and Ben were mistakes by recent transactions or attempted transactions, having a head coach and GM who appear to share opposing philosophies and put shooting at the top of the list of concerns when we have and have had more pressing needs for years now, the apparent blueprint to turn this team into GS or Den part II, would be obvious causes for concern.

Well, that's nothing new. I generally think you're abrasive and you generally think I'm overly-sensitive. Life goes on. :)
Lady, you're the one who responded to me responding to someone else. You're the one who initiated this back and forth over a simple question. If you're looking for reasons to insult posters on a forum for which you're an MOD in a passive-aggressive manner over a simple question, the likes of which are asked hundreds if not thousands of times each year on this forum(forums are for questions and debates, are they not?), that's questionable behavior.

First you, not me, you drop into a simple conversation with a full-on hyperbolic statement about be sounding like attorney grilling a witness, a comment meant to invoke a reaction, then when I suggest that's being overly sensitive, you take the opportunity to label me abrasive.

Classy behavior.