Well, see you in a different uniform next season IT

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

What team is going to chuck 8/9 million at IT, genuine question...?

I would let him walk for anything over that 6 million type deal personally. Just doesn't represent value for me.
A team that can afford to get an elite 6th man of the bench who can score at will and is unguardable on offense. His defense is a liability but in a right series, he could be a difference maker. Plus, there has been many times this season that his offense heavily outweighed the amount of points he gave up on defense. As long as he out scores his defenders, he's a worthy player to have.
9 million is really pushing it though. The max I could see is 8 and that was Thorntons contract and it would be overpaying IT but if the Kings have a vision and IT is in it. I could see sac offering 1 mill more than what they would. Also, if we plan on drafting Payton or Smart, we might let IT walk and sign a solid backup SG vet like Sefolosha or a potential star in A. Bradley but I have a hard time seeing the celtics let such a cheap prospect go for nothing.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A team that can afford to get an elite 6th man of the bench who can score at will and is unguardable on offense.
JJ Barea earned his contract with the T'Wolves by being a sparkplug and offensive dynamo who was instrumental in beating the Lakers on the way to the Finals and eventually a championship. His deal never tops $5 million a year.

Jamal Crawford is the reigning sixth man of the year. He made $5,225,000 this year will make $5,450,000 next year and $5,675,000 in the last year of his deal.

The greatest 6th man of this generation, Manu Ginobili who has surprisingly only won ONE 6th man of the year award despite being the third best player on three championship teams, a two time All-Star and a two time All NBA third teamer, made $7,000,000 this year and will make the same next year.

So in short, I don't see any team signing IT for more than $7,000,000 to be a sixth man. The obvious counter example is the Pelicans signing Tyreke to and $11 million/year deal to be a sixth man but I have to think they believed they could move Eric Gordon. And even if that isn't the case, Evans offers far more flexibility than Thomas as a guy that can play both guard positions and even slide to SF if asked.

Point being, I don't see any possibility that a team signs Thomas for more than $7,000,000 to be a sixth man. If he gets an offer of $8 million per or more it would be because a team sees him as their long term starting PG. And I'm not saying that won't happen but I'll be curious to see which teams (if any) view IT that way. Because I think if he gets quality starter money thrown at him then I'd think he's definitely gone.

On the other hand, if teams just throw out elite sixth man type money (say around the MLE or just north of it) then I think there's a good chance the Kings match the offer. If they keep their pick (or trade down) and end up with someone like Exum (which would require either a trade up or a Paul Pierce like draft night tumble) or Smart or even Ennis or Peyton then likely IT would start until the rookie was ready to take the reins and the Kings would have around $9 -$10 million tied up in the PG position which isn't bad at all if you've got a young stud and a high quality change of pace/sixth man pairing. Best of all, IT's contract would come up around the time the rookie PG was due for an extension.

I wouldn't be at all upset if things played out that way, assuming PDA drafted the right player at the PG spot.

JJ Barea earned his contract with the T'Wolves by being a sparkplug and offensive dynamo who was instrumental in beating the Lakers on the way to the Finals and eventually a championship. His deal never tops $5 million a year.

Jamal Crawford is the reigning sixth man of the year. He made $5,225,000 this year will make $5,450,000 next year and $5,675,000 in the last year of his deal.

The greatest 6th man of this generation, Manu Ginobili who has surprisingly only won ONE 6th man of the year award despite being the third best player on three championship teams, a two time All-Star and a two time All NBA third teamer, made $7,000,000 this year and will make the same next year.

So in short, I don't see any team signing IT for more than $7,000,000 to be a sixth man. The obvious counter example is the Pelicans signing Tyreke to and $11 million/year deal to be a sixth man but I have to think they believed they could move Eric Gordon. And even if that isn't the case, Evans offers far more flexibility than Thomas as a guy that can play both guard positions and even slide to SF if asked.

Point being, I don't see any possibility that a team signs Thomas for more than $7,000,000 to be a sixth man. If he gets an offer of $8 million per or more it would be because a team sees him as their long term starting PG. And I'm not saying that won't happen but I'll be curious to see which teams (if any) view IT that way. Because I think if he gets quality starter money thrown at him then I'd think he's definitely gone.

On the other hand, if teams just throw out elite sixth man type money (say around the MLE or just north of it) then I think there's a good chance the Kings match the offer. If they keep their pick (or trade down) and end up with someone like Exum (which would require either a trade up or a Paul Pierce like draft night tumble) or Smart or even Ennis or Peyton then likely IT would start until the rookie was ready to take the reins and the Kings would have around $9 -$10 million tied up in the PG position which isn't bad at all if you've got a young stud and a high quality change of pace/sixth man pairing. Best of all, IT's contract would come up around the time the rookie PG was due for an extension.

I wouldn't be at all upset if things played out that way, assuming PDA drafted the right player at the PG spot.
A lot to agree with here, especially with the second-to-last paragraph. I could see that scenario playing out in all likelihood.

One minor quibble: Ginobili took a significant (50%!) pay cut this season, and was making $10-14 million/year from 2009-13. Not comparing the two as players, but wanted to point that out.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

The same examples could be used to make an argument that IT will likely earn more than a MLE type of deal this summer. Barea? The most he'd averaged over the course of a season before signing his deal was 9.5 pts per game. Typical bench guy, typical bench salary (overpaid as well if you ask me). Ginobili is at the end of his career and all of the Spurs' stars are taking paycuts at this point to try to squeeze out one more championship before retiring. He made 14 million last season, 13 million the season before, 12 million the year before that. And he's never averaged 20 points in a season and came into the league as a 25 year old. Jamal Crawford? He just finished his 14th season in the NBA. He's well into "take less to play on a contender" territory. The last big deal he signed topped out at 10.8 million in 2011 and the best season in his long career he averaged 20 and 5. IT just averaged 20 and 6 as a 24 year old in his third season. He's improved every year statistically. If past history is any indication, he's going to get paid. Probably not 11 million a year like Tyreke, but 32 over 4 years is very possible. That's not a deal I match unless I know he's my starting PG for the next 4 years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good for Isaiah. I'm fed up with the people who find reasons to bash him, who deny his talent and act as though he got into the NBA on a fluke. Am I convinced he's the perfect person for the starting PG role in the future for the Kings? Not entirely but I'm not going to deny the obvious. The kid's got game. He's earned his slot as the starting PG on the Kings and I hope to hell he wants to defend that. I personally am not a big fan of the "Oh, it's okay if I lose my starting slot to some unproven rookie" attitude. You fight for what you believe in.

Yeah, he's on a 28-win team. He did his part to get those 28 wins. I can name at least 8 players on our roster who couldn't make the same claim.

Don't have a problem with him wanting to keep the starting position, obviously. Different story when you tweet about it publicly before someone in the same position has even been drafted. It's insecure. I also don't like that he said about a future rookie teammate "BUT don't be mad at the player when he's sitting on the bench not playing." Not very classy.

It's hardly a massive deal, I don't want to blow it out of proportion. But I don't think it's smart to tweet that. I can't imagine any other players tweeting about their team possibly picking a player who plays the same position, even if it was posed to him by someone else. Just ignore it. I'm not looking for a reason to bash IT either, I actually like him and want him to stay if the price is right. I agree that some of the rhetoric about him has been too far at times, but he didn't help himself this time.

Those tweets are dumb and a little unprofessional. For someone with so much confidence on the court, he sure is insecure off it. And I like IT as a person (and as a player, just don't see him as some others do).
The same old tired mantra on why he can't be a starter has gotten old. He has confidence in his game. Good. I want players on the Kings who play with a chip on their shoulder and go after it each and every game. All he's done is severely outplay any PG we've had or brought in since he's been here.

Interesting that nobody posts his tweets about his trip to India and what he's doing there to promote the Kings and the NBA. Without a long-term deal with the Kings I may add. Because that angle doesn't fit with "selfish little midget pizza boy gunner" as he's so affectionately called by some posters here, right?

The same old tired mantra on why he can't be a starter has gotten old. He has confidence in his game. Good. I want players on the Kings who play with a chip on their shoulder and go after it each and every game. All he's done is severely outplay any PG we've had or brought in since he's been here.
It's an opinion, which is backed up by pretty much the entire history of the NBA. Doesn't mean he's not a valuable player. Anyway, that's not the point. I don't mind him having that attitude as every athlete is going to want to start, especially early in their career. I'd just prefer he'd not tweet about it in such a manner.

Interesting that nobody posts his tweets about his trip to India and what he's doing there to promote the Kings and the NBA. Without a long-term deal with the Kings I may add. Because that angle doesn't fit with "selfish little midget pizza boy gunner" as he's so affectionately called by some posters here, right?
I have nothing against IT. I think he's probably a really nice dude and he clearly is of good character. Can't deny that he's selfish-ish on the court though. Thing is, he's good at it. But doesn't mean everyone has to feel it's the right type of player to start on this particular team, especially given his defensive shortcomings. I'm glad IT is representing the Kings in India, I've no doubt he's doing a good job of it. I personally don't find follow IT on twitter, but that's due solely to a dislike of having my feed filled with bible references occasionally, it's nothing personal, so I haven't actually seen what he's been posting from India. I'm sure it's good stuff though.

I don't have a problem with the comments. He has a chip on his shoulder and that's for him to deal with. If bringing in another pg makes IT play even better, then that's good for us. Until we start winning playoff series, I hope everyone on the team feels like they are fighting for their jobs.

Good for Isaiah. I'm fed up with the people who find reasons to bash him, who deny his talent and act as though he got into the NBA on a fluke. Am I convinced he's the perfect person for the starting PG role in the future for the Kings? Not entirely but I'm not going to deny the obvious. The kid's got game. He's earned his slot as the starting PG on the Kings and I hope to hell he wants to defend that. I personally am not a big fan of the "Oh, it's okay if I lose my starting slot to some unproven rookie" attitude. You fight for what you believe in.

Yeah, he's on a 28-win team. He did his part to get those 28 wins. I can name at least 8 players on our roster who couldn't make the same claim.
Here here! IT has tallent and should stay a King.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't have a problem with him wanting to keep the starting position, obviously. Different story when you tweet about it publicly before someone in the same position has even been drafted. It's insecure. I also don't like that he said about a future rookie teammate "BUT don't be mad at the player when he's sitting on the bench not playing." Not very classy.

It's hardly a massive deal, I don't want to blow it out of proportion. But I don't think it's smart to tweet that. I can't imagine any other players tweeting about their team possibly picking a player who plays the same position, even if it was posed to him by someone else. Just ignore it. I'm not looking for a reason to bash IT either, I actually like him and want him to stay if the price is right. I agree that some of the rhetoric about him has been too far at times, but he didn't help himself this time.
While you don't seem to want to blow it out of proportion, there are some who blow everything IT says or does out of proportion. I follow his tweets regularly, and this whole thing is taken out of the big picture context. IT has faced some pretty harsh comments by idiots on Twitter. How he chooses to respond to them is his business. Much like being attacked on a message board, it's very hard not to take it personally or take it to heart. I think you may have misunderstood his comments...

All that said, I think people put WAY TOO MUCH stock in the drivel tweeted by celebrities, athletes, etc.