Well, see you in a different uniform next season IT

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As we all have mentioned before hand...anything above 6-7 mil. per year and we let him go. I doubt he will get that much to begin with in the open market but you never know. Can't fault him for thinking of the money, he was a second round draft pick and if we were in his situation I'm sure more often than not we would bolt for the money too if a team was willing to pay.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
3/20 is where I would go, max. I just can't fathom more for a player who is a defensive liability.
You never know what the quote means, but if we take it at face value, then he's chasing the dollars. Can't really blame him, as he likely won't have the opportunity to get this big a pay raise in the future.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just because it's song lyrics you think it doesn't mean something? Obviously it means something to him or pertains to something he's going through. hmm wonder what that could be
I've got some song lyrics for you:

No matter what team inks your K
And how many billz at the end of the day
If youz wants to know where youz gonna play
Better figure out whether the Kings are going to match or not because you're a restricted free agent, yo.
It's got a really catchy tune, too.

From what I have gathered from interviews with PDA and Malone recently, I'm thinking IT is a goner. Either we are going to make a big trade on draft day for a big name player(and keep Gay in the process). Or both are gone and we start over. At this point any change is a good thing, we need a TEAM, and for the last several years we have been a bunch of individuals using our team as a platform for their next paycheck. The only thing with IT is that he can be a very useful piece down the line on a good team off the bench. If we can keep him on on a good contract we should. I mean look at Jamal Crawford, Clips do not beat the Warriors without him, you need guys that can make a play or get their own shot(we just happen to have 3 of them that all start together on a bad team, not a good formula).

From what I have gathered from interviews with PDA and Malone recently, I'm thinking IT is a goner. Either we are going to make a big trade on draft day for a big name player(and keep Gay in the process). Or both are gone and we start over. At this point any change is a good thing, we need a TEAM, and for the last several years we have been a bunch of individuals using our team as a platform for their next paycheck. The only thing with IT is that he can be a very useful piece down the line on a good team off the bench. If we can keep him on on a good contract we should. I mean look at Jamal Crawford, Clips do not beat the Warriors without him, you need guys that can make a play or get their own shot(we just happen to have 3 of them that all start together on a bad team, not a good formula).
Agree with all of this

everyone remember that nothing can happen with isaiah until after the draft.

anyway, this tweet is probably meaningless because there's no way isaiah can know anything about his future unless he's been talking to other teams, which is against the tampering rules until july 1st.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
everyone remember that nothing can happen with isaiah until after the draft.

anyway, this tweet is probably meaningless because there's no way isaiah can know anything about his future unless he's been talking to other teams, which is against the tampering rules until july 1st.

Could know something from talking to our team however. I just don't see what the advantage would be for our front office to have spoken to him about this even if they really were thinking of letting him go, unless, and here would be the unless, they wanted to alert his agent for sign and trade possibilities.

But that is all wildly speculative. IT just may feel he might move on. Or he may have known about interest back at the trade deadline. Or he may have just liked the song. Who knows.

First time I've agreed with one of your posts all season long.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's an interesting interview with "bruski" who thinks IT could be worth up to 11-12 million dollars a year! o_O

I'd go 3/18 for IT and that would be a stretch. I think if he leaves you can match his overall production....key word is overall......with another guy for cheaper salary. You can't do anything in the playoffs with his defense and that is if you can make it to the playoffs with him as your starting PG. got to play both sides of the ball. IT is a situational player off the bench (ex: Jamal Crawford). If we didn't give Tyreke $11 mill, then there's zero chance we give it to IT.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Here's an interesting interview with "bruski" who thinks IT could be worth up to 11-12 million dollars a year! o_O

Interesting interview, especially the observations of other coaches around league, in particular Pop. I still say it's $8+ mill/year. If some team gets him for less, they are getting a steal. If he's not with the Kings, you better hope he's not in the West.

i can't see a team offering isaiah $10 million of their cap space anyway. remember last year nobody wanted jeff teague or monta ellis, and they got stuck with $8 million deals. i think the same thing will happen to isaiah.

also, if i look down the list of teams with cap space, i just don't think any of them would want to spend it on isaiah first.

Last edited:
i can't see a team offering isaiah $10 million of their cap space anyway. remember last year nobody wanted jeff teague or monta ellis, and they got stuck with $8 million deals. i think the same thing will happen to isaiah.

also, if i look down the list of teams with cap space, i just don't think any of them need isaiah.
man if Jeff Teague and Monta only got 8m per year, someone is going to get ripped off on IT in comparison

who is gonna be the new Pizza guy I wonder.

I can see why some people don't see IT as starting PG on a contender, but damn - he was one of very few guys on the team who could put the freaking ball in the freaking hole. I wish he got a little more balanced evaluation on here. He's easy to hate on but if I were in his shoes I'd be looking to get PAID right now, and its not like leaving Sacramento is a heartbreaking kind of personal thing to go through.

I really really wish him well if he leaves, and I'm fine if the Kings pay him too. ($8M X 3)

Monta Ellis got a three year deal worth $25 million, and Jeff Teague got a four year deal worth $32 million - that's $8.5 and $8 million a season respectively. Is Thomas going to be in that ballpark?

It wouldn't surprise me. This season you potentially have point guards like Eric Bledsoe (17.7 ppg, 5.5 apg, 19.62 per), Kyle Lowry (17.9 ppg, 7.4 apg, 20.20 per), and Mario Chalmers (9.8 ppg, 4.9 apg, 14.06 per) joining Thomas in free agency. Last year Monta Ellis averaged 19.4 ppg, 6.1 apg, and 16.56 per; and Jeff Teague averaged 14.5 ppg, 7.2 apg, and 16.86 per. So stats wise, Thomas doesn't look out of place against those guys with his performance this season - 20.3 ppg, 6.2 apg and 20.54 per.

Now I don't know how much the market will value these potential free agents, but it will be unlikely to see Bledsoe, Lowry or Thomas receiving less than what Ellis and Teague got paid last season. Personally I don't see the Suns or Raptors letting Bledsoe and Lowry leave after their contributions to their team's success this season, but in regards to Thomas, I am not convinced we should pay him that type of money for a player with his shortfalls.

We could look to his replacement in the draft. Marcus Smart could be available at #7, and the likes of Tyler Ennis, Shabazz Napier and Elfrid Payton should be available in the mid-first round. It would be nice if we could acquire another first round pick to go along with our top ten pick to allow us to come out of the draft with a haul like Noah Vonleh and Ennis/Napier/Payton. But if we traded our #7 pick for Chicago's #16 and #19, we could come out of it with a haul like Ennis/Napier/Payton and Grant/Payne. Either scenario would allow us to replace Thomas, by adding two first round players talent and saving cap space to re-sign Rudy Gay and/or another big name player. The alternative way would be to try and outbid the Suns and Raptors for Bledsoe and Lowry, though that could turn out to be a very expensive option.

So here are some salary comparisons in round numbers:
Jamal Crawford - 5.2 Mil
Kyle Lowry - 6.2 Mil
Monta Ellis - 8 - Mil
Jeff Teague - 8 - Mil

Where does IT fit in those Salary numbers? Depends on how you rate IT's game. I like Lowry or Teague as starters over IT. As a sixth man IT is right in there with Crawford or Monta. I think Crawford has them by a hair due to his Clutchness:)

Here are the PG Free Agents, IT is rated #3 by Hoopshype: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/point_guards_2014.htm

So here are some salary comparisons in round numbers:
Jamal Crawford - 5.2 Mil
Kyle Lowry - 6.2 Mil
Monta Ellis - 8 - Mil
Jeff Teague - 8 - Mil

Where does IT fit in those Salary numbers? Depends on how you rate IT's game. I like Lowry or Teague as starters over IT. As a sixth man IT is right in there with Crawford or Monta. I think Crawford has them by a hair due to his Clutchness:)

Here are the PG Free Agents, IT is rated #3 by Hoopshype: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/point_guards_2014.htm
Monta hasn't been a sixth man since his rookie season. In his rookie season he only started 3/49, coming mainly off the bench. Since then he has started 53/77 in is second season, 72/81 in his third season, and from his fourth season he has started every game he has played. So while Monta does have a reputation as a slasher, he has been a productive starter for the majority of his career.

In regards to IT, based on this season's performance, he has probably played himself into the 6 to 8 million bracket. If we can get him on a three year deal worth around $6 million then keeping hold of him could be a good idea. Though if there is demand he could command at least $8 million, and at that price I think I would probably let him walk or do a sign-and-trade.