Low key free agents to keep your eyes on

I'd maybe add Ekpe Udoh. Potential for shotblocking next to Cousins, but couldn't even make a go of it with the Bucks, which says a lot. I do remember hearing somewhere that Malone liked him from his Golden State days, though, so you never know.

K

KingMilz

Not that I would want him with us but Evan Turner is another one, than again I didn't want Monta Ellis and he's killing it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely yes to Ed Davis. I would not resign Thomas with the sole intent to make an offer for Davis. Our need for defense is that serious. I KNOW YOU READ THIS DEALESSANDRO, SIGN ED DAVIS!!!!

Absolutely yes to Ed Davis. I would not resign Thomas with the sole intent to make an offer for Davis. Our need for defense is that serious. I KNOW YOU READ THIS DEALESSANDRO, SIGN ED DAVIS!!!!
I'm actually a big fan of Davis, has Ibaka like abilities IMO.

He just so happens to be on a team with the best big man tandem in the league.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Hinrich
Devin Harris
Tony Douglas
Battier
Mike Miller
Josh McRoberts
Ed Davis
Udoh
Okafor-would he be healthy? Would be a nice backup big.

The extent of which these guys can be classified as "low level" FA's can be debated, but all would likely be backups and wouldn't cost that much at this point in their careers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm actually a big fan of Davis, has Ibaka like abilities IMO.

He just so happens to be on a team with the best big man tandem in the league.
Troublingly he's been there a year and a half and hasn't been able to establish consistent PT even when those big men are, for two different coaches.

K

KingMilz

Hinrich
Devin Harris
Tony Douglas
Battier
Mike Miller
Josh McRoberts
Ed Davis
Udoh
Okafor-would he be healthy? Would be a nice backup big.

The extent of which these guys can be classified as "low level" FA's can be debated, but all would likely be backups and wouldn't cost that much at this point in their careers.
Harris would be a terrific starting PG for us with his defence/speed/playmaking and we could get him cheap meaning between him and Ray we got 48mins of defence at the position.

I would love for Gay to opt out and try to divvy that $ up between Thefolosha and Deng. 2 veteran, good perimeter defenders who know their roles.

I would love for Gay to opt out and try to divvy that $ up between Thefolosha and Deng. 2 veteran, good perimeter defenders who know their roles.
could be good could be bad. the good, we have 2 excellent defenders. the bad, we are missing the #2 on the totem pole who can create shots on the perimeter. both of them are role players not stars. not to beat on a dead horse but those are the kind of players we should have had around cuz and reke.

Ed Davis would be a excellent fit here and another FA I think would be worth a look is Kent Bazemore. If we don't have a shot at Imbiid Davis should be a target then that pick would have a lot of flexibility trade wise ect ect.

I'd be very surprised if Harris wants to sign anywhere near Cousins. He might stay out of the state of California just to be safe.

I'm very interesting in Hinrich as a backup 1/2 combo. He and McCallum should have no problem playing with each other.

On that same note, BENO.. who is having quite the little postseason for himself.

And lastly, Thabo. Pretty good offseason for backup guards, but Thabo gives us a great McLemore backup plan.

The lower level FA bigs aren't as exciting. But Okafor should come really cheap, and I'd be very interested in that. At his peak, he could actually work really well next to Cousins as a starter. Not ideal, but it's one way to get a player who will be underpaid as a guy coming off of a serious injury. If I remember correctly, he was getting A LOT of praise for his defensive work in his last healthy season in Washington. It looked like he was settling in to a good role player / defensive stopper before the injury.

Totally forgot about Okafor. I could see them being interested in him as well. Better than Udoh, and really Davis, in that he could guard both power forwards and centers. I have no idea what he'd cost coming off that injury.

I would say Anderson Varejao but he will get 7-9mill per. He is almost a perfect fit next to DMC and played for Malone. Also his mid range jumper has been pretty good for a couple of seasons as well as being a good passer his whole career.

I would say Anderson Varejao but he will get 7-9mill per. He is almost a perfect fit next to DMC and played for Malone. Also his mid range jumper has been pretty good for a couple of seasons as well as being a good passer his whole career.
By my read of Sham he has $4 million of his $9.7 million guaranteed next season, so I doubt the Cavs let him go. I did always think he'd be an interesting fit next to Cousins, although he always seems to be injured.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd maybe add Ekpe Udoh. Potential for shotblocking next to Cousins, but couldn't even make a go of it with the Bucks, which says a lot. I do remember hearing somewhere that Malone liked him from his Golden State days, though, so you never know.
Well Udoh is probably more obtainable than most. I've always liked him, and thought he was on the right track with the Warriors. But since then, he's had a hard time getting consistent minutes. Especially with the Bucks. Just too many PF's on the roster.

Sanders: 25 mpg and 1.7 blocks per game
Henson: 26 mpg and 1.7 blocks per game
Udoh: 19 mpg and 1.0 blocks per game
Llyasova: 27 mpg and 0.1 blocks per game
Adrien: 25 mpg and 0.8 blocks per game

Thats a lot of players getting minutes. Udoh would probably be an upgrade as far as shotblocking goes, but not sure just how much. Udoh's first two years with the Warriors he averaged around 1.7 blocks a game in around 25 mpg. Going on memory here, so I could be off a bit, but he did show natural shotblocking ability.

My first choice would be Ed Davis, but if the Grizz are thinking of dumping Randolph, then Davis is probably untouchable.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Troublingly he's been there a year and a half and hasn't been able to establish consistent PT even when those big men are, for two different coaches.
Well in fairness to him, Randolph eats up around 34 minutes a game. Davis is geting around 15 minutes a game, so he's basically getting whats left. At least for the most part. I'd be curious to see how he performed when he got around 30 minutes a game. Not sure I'd be willing to pay him big bucks to see that however.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I only have one problem with Varejao. He's injured all the time. Other than that, I'd love to have him. He's played in the league for 10 years and out of a possible 820 regular season games, he's missed 286 games, or the equivalent of 3.4 seasons. That's a lot of games to miss mi amigo, and there's nothing to indicate that its going to improve with age..

My first choice would be Ed Davis, but if the Grizz are thinking of dumping Randolph, then Davis is probably untouchable.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do with Davis. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said they'd let Randolph walk and re-sign Davis to be their PF of the future. But now? Davis hasn't really taken that next step, and they're giving OKC a run for their money with Randolph getting major minutes. I'm not sure they would want to disrupt the momentum they seem to have now. They may not match much for Davis, or perhaps would be very willing to entertain a sign and trade.

Udoh can block shots, but he is really awful on the boards. I didn't watch enough of the Bucks this year to say why he didn't get burn, but when he was with Golden State, his defensive rotations were pretty bad. Imagine Bismack Biyombo without the rebounding ability.

K

KingMilz

#Rodney Stuckey: if Isaiah goes can be our 6th man if the price is right imo, plus you can play him with Ben or Ray depending on the situation
#Mario Chalmers: D and 3 guy
#Al-Farouq Aminu: can't shoot, but plays D
#Channing Frye: can really space the floor but his D leaves a lot to desired
#Ramon Sessions: has played well everywhere he's been off the bench or starting
#CJ Miles: can space the floor and good athlete
#Brandon Rush: not sure where he's at

didn't ed's dad play in the nba? the FO loves coaches sons or former nba players kids. timmy hardaway jr, ray, ed, grobIII, who else? steph curry, klay. we can get a team full of former nba players off spring.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
i wasn't impressed when i saw ed davis in the memphis' game. it's also kind of a red flag that they don't want to give him any minutes.
I don't pretend to know the situation in Memphis, but when Randolph is eating up 34/35 minutes a game, that doesn't leave many minutes for Davis. That's sort of like saying that Aaron Gray sucks (which in this case is true) because he can't get any minutes behind Cousins.

didn't ed's dad play in the nba? the FO loves coaches sons or former nba players kids. timmy hardaway jr, ray, ed, grobIII, who else? steph curry, klay. we can get a team full of former nba players off spring.
Funny you bring that up. While I was watching the GSW game I thought of the same thing. The I remembered the Kings of 2002 and Mike Bibby. We could be on to something here:)