DeMarcus Cousins: All NBA

Damning evidence to the conventional wisdom of great player creating winning teams. You can try to explain why something happened, but the evidence is on the side of the haters if Cousins produced the 2 worst season of all time for a great player (26+ PER).

You can blind guess all you want, but that won't change people's mind. Hard facts will. Like Brick is doing...
Since you are so wrapped up in team records, why don't we look at it this way? The Kings are so bad that they managed to never win a game without Cousins this year (0-11). That means Cousins' skillset brought a team that was on pace to go 0-82 28 wins. One single player brought 28 more wins to this organization! I think that's pretty elite. Don't you?

Last edited:
Here's lowe's original article. Brick has it right. He couldn't see. Not at all.

He didn't just question Boogie's effort, he questioned his TALENT. Explicitly with this quote. "How talented, really, is DeMarcus Cousins? "

His TALENT has never been in doubt.

http://grantland.com/features/the-future-demarcus-boogie-cousins-nba-biggest-mystery/
In continuing with the interest of being fair, Lowe counts effort as a part of defining "talent"; Not even Zach Lowe, the biggest of Boogie doubters, could deny his skillset:

Zach Lowe said:
Cousins has his individual numbers, which are prodigious, and a pass-and-dribble skill set that is undeniably tantalizing for a player of his size.
Everyone could see what Cousins could do on a court. Everyone. Even his detractors. The question was, is he ever going to give enough effort to make it worthwhile? Lowe completely whiffed on the fact that there was no NBA infrastructure around Cousins, only chaos, and what effect that had on an already emotional psyche.

Since you are so wrapped up in team records, why don't we look at it this way? The Kings are so bad that they managed to never win a game without Cousins this year (0-11). That means Cousins' skillset brought a team that was on pace to go 0-82 28 wins. One single player brought 28 more wins to this organization! I think that's pretty elite. Don't you?
Indeed, ridiculous arguments require ridiculous responses.

Damning evidence to the conventional wisdom of great player creating winning teams. You can try to explain why something happened, but the evidence is on the side of the haters if Cousins produced the 2 worst season of all time for a great player (26+ PER).

You can blind guess all you want, but that won't change people's mind. Hard facts will. Like Brick is doing...

So coming back with like 4 players from the previous year and changing the roster pretty much mid-season as well has nothing to do with why the team lost a lot? Does it matter than the team didn't win without Cousins this year?

After watching the first games of the first round of the playoffs, couldn't help to think Cousins will not make it past his first playoff game without an ejection. ;)

Well, when/IF the Kings make the playoffs.

If you ask me, both Noah and Hibbert are being pretty exposed in these playoffs.

Hibbert for not being able to take advantage of Pero freaking Antic on the offensive end and having no answer for a one-dimensional shooter defensively.

Noah for having his post defense exposed against Nene and letting Chicago's offense completely die against the Wizards.

And these are All-NBA caliber centers? I know one game doesn't make a great season, but come on. These guys are roleplayers, not All-NBA material.

If you ask me, both Noah and Hibbert are being pretty exposed in these playoffs.

Hibbert for not being able to take advantage of Pero freaking Antic on the offensive end and having no answer for a one-dimensional shooter defensively.

Noah for having his post defense exposed against Nene and letting Chicago's offense completely die against the Wizards.

And these are All-NBA caliber centers? I know one game doesn't make a great season, but come on. These guys are roleplayers, not All-NBA material.
indeed. it speaks to the decaying quality of the center position across the league, and only further highlights the injustices done to demarcus cousins this season at the level of individual recognition. noah and hibbert are good players, but DMC is in another stratosphere of overall talent...

K

KingMilz

Nene would rape any C/PF one on one when he's aggressive he's literally one of the few players who might have more skill than Cousins at the PF/C position not to mention his IQ is way higher and he knows every trick in the book. Nene is just to much of a nice guy/team player but when he goes at you, you need to double him. Noah is not being exposed at all, Nene is a freak talent that's not really utilized it most of his career.

Nene would destory DJ/Ibaka/Hibbert one on one or any DPOY candidate for that matter if he is the go to guy as would Cousins that's why you double/triple team skilled powerhouses.

i have no problem with cuz not getting recognition. the chip on his shoulder just gets bigger and bigger translating to beastly numbers.
Or he gets frustrated and starts to think he will never get recognition in a small market or on a team that is losing and decides to bolt. I would much rather keep our fiery center as happy as possible if you ask me.

It depends, how does that compare to the other 118 players with a PER over 26? It's hard to compare players when you only data on one player (as dubious as that data is). Do the work to figure out the other players and you might be on to something.

I have some reservations about your line of thinking, but I will wait until you have done a thorough job with you research before I proceed.

So coming back with like 4 players from the previous year and changing the roster pretty much mid-season as well has nothing to do with why the team lost a lot? Does it matter than the team didn't win without Cousins this year?
I sure it has a good deal with the reason the team lost a lot. But the narrative in the public's mind is that Boogie's numbers don't contribute to winning, and to change that you have to do more than just complain that Boogie had a really hard time.

I would assume this would be an increasingly difficult argument based on how well Isiah and Rudy played. With their high PERs as well, it paints an even worse picture and makes explaining the lack of victories by Boogie's team that much more challenging.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nene would rape any C/PF one on one when he's aggressive he's literally one of the few players who might have more skill than Cousins at the PF/C position not to mention his IQ is way higher and he knows every trick in the book. Nene is just to much of a nice guy/team player but when he goes at you, you need to double him. Noah is not being exposed at all, Nene is a freak talent that's not really utilized it most of his career.

Nene would destory DJ/Ibaka/Hibbert one on one or any DPOY candidate for that matter if he is the go to guy as would Cousins that's why you double/triple team skilled powerhouses.
Nene >>> Kareem/Wilt/Walton/Hakeem/Shaq combined

indeed. it speaks to the decaying quality of the center position across the league, and only further highlights the injustices done to demarcus cousins this season at the level of individual recognition. noah and hibbert are good players, but DMC is in another stratosphere of overall talent...
Offensively I would agree, overall I don't agree at all.

Holy cow, there's so much wrong with this statement

I've liked the position rakings bleacher report has done goes into detail.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...ing-the-top-centers-of-2013-14-season/page/20

Watching Robin Lopez in the playoff is hurting me. He was second to Hibbert in rim protection this year and a good pick and roll defender.
WTF!!! Howard 20/20 in scoring like boogie and better than al jefferson. Or howard is 35/40 deffense while boogie who has better deffensive advanced stats, is 31. And noah 1º is a bad joke

WTF!!! Howard 20/20 in scoring like boogie and better than al jefferson. Or howard is 35/40 deffense while boogie who has better deffensive advanced stats, is 31. And noah 1º is a bad joke
That Howard has better advanced defensive stats than Cousins tells me more about the value of those advanced stats than anything else.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just saw news of the teams breaking on Twitter: Noah first, Howard second, Jefferson third. No Boogie.

Yep: http://www.nba.com/2014/news/06/04/2013-14-all-nba-teams/index.html

but here is the part to severely pee one off:
Other players receiving votes, with point totals: Carmelo Anthony, New York, 86 (1 First Team vote); John Wall, Washington, 70; Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 63 (1); DeMar DeRozan, Toronto, 56; Anthony Davis, New Orleans, 40 (1); Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas, 37 (1); Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City, 32 (1); Kyle Lowry, Toronto, 29; DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers, 21; Roy Hibbert, Indiana, 17; Marc Gasol, Memphis, 16 (2); DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento, 14 (1); Kyrie Irving, Cleveland, 7; Dwyane Wade, Miami, 6; Mike Conley, Memphis, 4; Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City, 4; Zach Randolph, Memphis, 4; Joe Johnson, Brooklyn, 4; Lance Stephenson, Indiana, 3; Ty Lawson, Denver, 2; Paul Millsap, Atlanta, 2; Chris Bosh, Miami, 1; Andre Drummond, Detroit, 1; Monta Ellis, Dallas, 1; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio, 1.

DeAndre Jordan, Roy Hibbert, and Marc Gasol all receiving more votes.

Now, the All Defensive Team selections actually came with a voter by voter breakdown. If these do as well I am going to ****ing light up some insects later on this evening.

Last edited:
Yep: http://www.nba.com/2014/news/06/04/2013-14-all-nba-teams/index.html

but here is the part to severely pee one off:
Other players receiving votes, with point totals: Carmelo Anthony, New York, 86 (1 First Team vote); John Wall, Washington, 70; Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 63 (1); DeMar DeRozan, Toronto, 56; Anthony Davis, New Orleans, 40 (1); Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas, 37 (1); Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City, 32 (1); Kyle Lowry, Toronto, 29; DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers, 21; Roy Hibbert, Indiana, 17; Marc Gasol, Memphis, 16 (2); DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento, 14 (1); Kyrie Irving, Cleveland, 7; Dwyane Wade, Miami, 6; Mike Conley, Memphis, 4; Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City, 4; Zach Randolph, Memphis, 4; Joe Johnson, Brooklyn, 4; Lance Stephenson, Indiana, 3; Ty Lawson, Denver, 2; Paul Millsap, Atlanta, 2; Chris Bosh, Miami, 1; Andre Drummond, Detroit, 1; Monta Ellis, Dallas, 1; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio, 1.

DeAndre Jordan, Roy Hibbert, and Marc Gasol all receiving more votes.

Now, the All Defensive Team selections actually came with a voter by voter breakdown. If these do as well I am going to ****ing light up some insects later on this evening.

Sigh. He barely got any votes. Is that 1 next to his name a first team vote? The voters really don't think much of him do they.

Bricklayer

and here It is:

http://www.nba.com/official/

can download a pdf of the breakdown.

give me a couple of minutes here and I will list out each and every person who voted for Cuz at some level, and then all those who need to be worked over. I have a long summer ahead, and get paid to be unpleasant to people. I think I'll give them a chance to repent, and then proceed to rip them a new butthead if they don't. Some of you should join in.

Bricklayer

First of all

First Team vote (1):
Jason Jackson, Sun Sports -- sounds like a relative nobody, never heard of them, deserves a thanks anyway

Second Team vote (1):
Phil Chenier, Comcast sportsnet -- ditto (is that norcal?)

Third Team vote (6):
Darnell Mayberry, Oklahoman
Gary Gerould, CSN-CA
Grant Napear, CSN-CA
Israel Guiterrez, espn.com -- this one should definitely be thanked, as they represent a beachhead into the cesspool of ignorance that is espn. Encourage one's friends.
Jason Lloyd, Akron Beacon Journal
Steve Martin, Bobcats Radio