NBA suspends, fines Cousins

As far as Napear. I can't stand his radio show but will turn it on at 4:35 PM today to hear PDA and then later to hear the coach. That's it, nothing in between which is repeated, cowardly insults directed at callers.
Haven't listened to his show for a while now, but always loved it when "Stanley from Roseville", who was a Cowboys fan, would call and give Grant the business about the New York Football Giants sucking all the time. Grant always sounded like he wanted to jump off a bridge, lol

Can someone take notes. I have no AM radio. I don't need details but just the general feel of the people involved.
Hey Glenn here's tip for next time. Around year ago I purchased little Sony AM/FM silver color transistor pocket radio for around $10-$12. It has very good reception and long lasting couple AA batteries. Sometimes I use an earbug, put it in my shirt pocket walking around in backyard doing chores, etc. Oh, I got it at Fry's but I've seen it online plus some other retail locations.

the nba took the appropriate action, but it's a shame that they ignored james harden's dirty play, if only because demarcus doesn't need any more fuel to throw on the fire of his victimization complex. cousins is a difficult personality. he's not neat and tidy. he's not easily pigeon-holed. he is young and immature. he is also compassionate and intelligent. he has shown a capacity for utter and complete dumbassery. he has also shown a capacity for leadership. but does this mean he should be the team's undisputed "leader"? no, not necessarily. i've never considered that to be the most desirable pathway for cousins...

chris webber was the centerpiece of the golden era kings, but vlade divac was the cagey veteran who stepped in as the team's emotional leader and respected lockerroom presence. he held the whole damn thing together. point is, the success of any demarcus cousins experiment has long been predicated on the leadership abilities of those around him. and, frankly, the sacramento kings were the worst franchise that could draft him. there was simply no support structure in place right from the beginning. the maloofs couldn't give a f*** about the development of their team, geoff petrie was sleepwalking through his job, and a carousel of pi$$ poor coaches had no idea how to manage a manchild like DMC. instability at the top breeds instability everywhere below, and cousins arrived in the nba about as unstable as they come...

i mean, any talented rookie requires a few people on his side to find success: coaches, teammates, whatever. but with an exceedingly volatile personality like cousins, you really need an organization-wide effort to help shape his professional attitudes and habits, and to help guide him through his growing pains. for three years, cousins had nothing of the sort, and we got exactly what we should have expected: a few ups accompanied by a helluvalot more downs. this is the first season in which a structure actually exists that will support cousins, a structure that will [hopefully] stimulate his maturation...

that said, it was never going to be a linear process for demarcus. there were going to be moments of superstardom during the highs, and there were going to be moments of embarrassing backsliding during the lows. the key has always been in how both he and the kings responded to those moments of backsliding. cousins' response to this recent backslide was disappointing, to say the least. he did not fully accept responsibility for his actions, and he deflected when he should have taken it on the chin. this is not an uncommon reaction for a young man grappling with his own immaturity. but how does a young man learn to be a man, except by example?

this kings team has been woefully absent the kind of veteran players who can channel their experience and success into mentoring opportunities for cousins, but ranadive, coach malone, shaq, rudy, the newly-arrived reggie evans, somebody needs to sit DMC down one-on-one, in private, away from the cameras and soundbytes and interviews and twitter posts, and allow him to vent his frustration while also telling him what's what. for all i know, it's already happening. for all i know, it's been happening all season. but it's been an uphill battle for cousins, often as a result of his penchant for getting in his own way. i think it's fair to say that most of us want him to succeed, so i hope this new regime continues to reshape the roster in a way that will breed eventual stability, because such an environment is what's best for cousins and, ultimately, what's best for the team...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I want to see video of Harden throwing Cousins to the floor.
Did you watch the frigging game? Amazing how you have perfect eyesight on a punch, but you can't see Cousins being thrown to the floor. I suspect there's just a slight bit of bias here. And, by the way, I'm not excusing Cousins. He has to stop these antics. Its childish nonsense that accomplishes nothing. Any goodwill he may have built up is going down the toilet because he can't quit acting like a child throwing a tantrum. He's a very bright guy, but in this area, he simply doesn't engage his brain. When a Kris Humphries intentionally does things to get under his skin, and it works, guess who just won that battle? He has to realize that he's his own worse enemy. My question to him after this last incident would be. Hey Cuz, other than getting kicked out of the game, which may have been merciful, acquiring two more technicals, getting fined around 44 thousand dollars, and proving to everyone around the league that you're still an emotional idiot, just what did you accomplish? Maybe, just maybe, you might want to try plan B.

By the way, there is no more ardent supporter of Cousins than me. But enough is enough.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That was cheap, but not much of a "punch". Karl Malone threw 10 worst elbows before halftime of every game.

The question of course would be why that was even necessary at all.

In some ways I see all of this kind of stuff as just kind of interrelated. Did Cousins get suspended for that "punch"? If his hand was open would they have? If he didn't go ballistic later in the game would he have? Have doubts. Or is this more an accumulation of the chippy play he has been engaging in for weeks now. He flat lined Humphries up for a series of intentional fouls/shots throughout that game. This might be an "enough/stop" suspension as much as anything else. There have been 10 suspensions in the NBA this season, that play alone hardly looks like one of the 10 worst incidents of the NBA season. However, the accumulated cheap/chippee play has to be wearing thin.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Hey Glenn here's tip for next time. Around year ago I purchased little Sony AM/FM silver color transistor pocket radio for around $10-$12. It has very good reception and long lasting couple AA batteries. Sometimes I use an earbug, put it in my shirt pocket walking around in backyard doing chores, etc. Oh, I got it at Fry's but I've seen it online plus some other retail locations.
I'll get one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That was cheap, but not much of a "punch". Karl Malone threw 10 worst elbows before halftime of every game.

The question of course would be why that was even necessary at all.

In some ways I see all of this kind of stuff as just kind of interrelated. Did Cousins get suspended for that "punch"? If his hand was open would they have? If he didn't go ballistic later in the game would he have? Have doubts. Or is this more an accumulation of the chippy play he has been engaging in for weeks now. He flat lined Humphries up for a series of intentional fouls/shots throughout that game. This might be an "enough/stop" suspension as much as anything else. There have been 10 suspensions in the NBA this season, that play alone hardly looks like one of the 10 worst incidents of the NBA season. However, the accumulated cheap/chippee play has to be wearing thin.
He hasn't been the same since the all star break. The game with Humphries was a prime example. Humphries was doing everything possible to get under Cousins skin, and it worked. Cousins cared more about retaliation than he did the game. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but his reactions don't help the situation. The more he reacts to these kind of things, the more other teams are going to use the same tactics. I realize its easy for me to say. Personally, I would have just decked the bastard. And that would have been the end of my career. He has to learn to be the bigger man. He says he admires Duncan and Gasol. Well, maybe he should try acting like them.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
He hasn't been the same since the all star break. The game with Humphries was a prime example. Humphries was doing everything possible to get under Cousins skin, and it worked. Cousins cared more about retaliation than he did the game. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but his reactions don't help the situation. The more he reacts to these kind of things, the more other teams are going to use the same tactics. I realize its easy for me to say. Personally, I would have just decked the bastard. And that would have been the end of my career. He has to learn to be the bigger man. He says he admires Duncan and Gasol. Well, maybe he should try acting like them.
Only real solution and the point at which the antagonizing stops is when Cuz learns to funnel it into destroying the opposition. There's a reason guys wouldn't take cheap shots or try to irritate guys like Jordan or Kobe. It wakes them up and they step on your throat. They then do everything in their power to pummel you and send you home the loser. You let a sleeping giant sleep, so to speak.

If and when Cuz gets to the point other teams pay for frustrating him by Cuz switching it into another gear and pounding them relentlessly until the final whistle, it'll stop. Until that point and as long as Cuz keeps allowing the strategy to throw him off his game, which it did the other night before getting tossed, they'll keep doing it, as would I if I was the opponent.

Someone should explain to Cuz if they haven't already that the sign of extreme confidence is to not even acknowledge those below/weaker than you. There's no reason too. They're less talented, can't stop you, so don't even acknowledge their existence. Just dominate them as if they weren't there. The league's best regularly laugh off that type of thing and react with more of a "who the hell are you supposed to be?" kind of attitude.

Bricklayer

He had to have. If Cousins had been suspended for cursing out the referee, after what Noah got away with, there would be grounds for it being rescinded, at the absolute least.
Not the point I was hinting at -- I was suggesting the "punch" was I think likely just an excuse, just a final straw sort of thing to trigger a continued chippee/borderline conduct sort of recent season long achievement sort of suspension. Put another way, that sort of thing is normally overlooked, but they've probably been seeing enough go on of late that was borderline damn should we/should we not fine/suspend etc. that this cheap little thing gets the honor of being elevated.

This sort of thing is really just the culmination of the underlying problem Cousins has had from the beginning: he doesn't trust anyone, everyone is out to get him, nobody has his back etc. Now you see him fighting twin battles against the refs, who are out to get him and/or at the very least aren't punishing the guys who are out to get him, and guys who he feels are cheapshotting him etc. So increasingly you see him carrying these grudges against guys who he feels weren't punished, and then he comes along and cheap shots them later in that game, or even season. Hence you have the game long Humphries antics, long memory actions against Beverley or Dunleavy etc. Because he doesn't trust anybody to have his back and feels he's being fouled all the time, he's going vigilante. I do so wish I could talk with him just for a couple of hours about how much more badass it is to get up, sneer in contempt, and say "is that all you got you ****ing p****?"

I had hoped that increased trust with new ownership/Malone would help alleviate this stuff, but I think to some degree that ownership or PDA's approach to this season might be undermining that because Cuz is being denied the entire 'scoreboard" revenge option. Winning is the best revenge? Well, he can't. So he's stuck getting beat by guys who he thinks are cheapshotting him every night, and increasingly he's acting out. This also is of course where my constant suggestions to get a thug will continue. Maybe Reggie Evans is that guy. But the idea of the thug wingman for the great bigs was not that both guys run around thugging, it was always that the thug wingman, understanding his role, would fight these battles and take those shots for the big center. In essence you solve the persecution complex by getting a guy that Cousins KNOWS has his back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
We've been here long enough that you know that I'm pro-goon, as well. I remember watching the game and seeing the meltdown coming, thinking that Malone should have brought Evans in for Cousins at that moment, and let Cousins cool down, while Evans gooned it up, maybe give Harden a "Here, take that with you," sort of pick. I am very pro-Evans being on the team, I just object to some of the proposed usage of him around here.

I listened to PDA talk about Cousins, the T's etc....

It sounds like he and the organization have a very good relationship with DMC. Also, that DMC realizes that it (his behavior) has been a distraction. Expressed that DMC wants to move forward and everyone is on the same page. He said he's had private conversations the content of which he would not disclose. But, I like what heard and I'm optimistic that DMC will "get it." DMC doesn't appear to be in denial about the consequences....

The organization seems genuinely committed to making DMC the cornerstone of the franchise. I feel like this will end up very well but this is one of those bumpy moments.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I listened to PDA talk about Cousins, the T's etc....

It sounds like he and the organization have a very good relationship with DMC. Also, that DMC realizes that it (his behavior) has been a distraction. Expressed that DMC wants to move forward and everyone is on the same page. He said he's had private conversations the content of which he would not disclose. But, I like what heard and I'm optimistic that DMC will "get it." DMC doesn't appear to be in denial about the consequences....

The organization seems genuinely committed to making DMC the cornerstone of the franchise. I feel like this will end up very well but this is one of those bumpy moments.
This sounds well handled. Now move on, Kings.

did anyone hear DMC on the radio this morning saying that the official Tuesday told him to "flop" to sell the calls when he complained about being fouled. NBA needs a completely new staff of officials, they have been a joke all season long (And im not talking about only in Kings games) and now they are encouraging flopping? wow

Bricklayer

did anyone hear DMC on the radio this morning saying that the official Tuesday told him to "flop" to sell the calls when he complained about being fouled. NBA needs a completely new staff of officials, they have been a joke all season long (And im not talking about only in Kings games) and now they are encouraging flopping? wow
wow

Holy crap. That guy should be fired.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Did he really use the word "flop?" I DO think the refs react to people who jerk back in an exaggerated manner, call it what you wish. Considering there is a fine for flopping, I am getting as confused as Boogie.

Just to comment on some of the posts in this thread: based on Kingster's description Cousins was thrown to the ground by Harden at the 5 min mark. The punch however, occured with 9 minutes to go in the 1st. So ... I don't see how the punch can be considered retaliation for anything from this game.

That's all.

Did he really use the word "flop?" I DO think the refs react to people who jerk back in an exaggerated manner, call it what you wish. Considering there is a fine for flopping, I am getting as confused as Boogie.
Isaiah Thomas "sells" calls like crazy. Every time he goes around a screen and gets a little bit of contact he whips his head back so hard I sometimes wonder how it's possible he doesn't get whiplash. If the whistle doesn't blow he continues on, perfectly fine.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Only real solution and the point at which the antagonizing stops is when Cuz learns to funnel it into destroying the opposition. There's a reason guys wouldn't take cheap shots or try to irritate guys like Jordan or Kobe. It wakes them up and they step on your throat. They then do everything in their power to pummel you and send you home the loser. You let a sleeping giant sleep, so to speak.

If and when Cuz gets to the point other teams pay for frustrating him by Cuz switching it into another gear and pounding them relentlessly until the final whistle, it'll stop. Until that point and as long as Cuz keeps allowing the strategy to throw him off his game, which it did the other night before getting tossed, they'll keep doing it, as would I if I was the opponent.

Someone should explain to Cuz if they haven't already that the sign of extreme confidence is to not even acknowledge those below/weaker than you. There's no reason too. They're less talented, can't stop you, so don't even acknowledge their existence. Just dominate them as if they weren't there. The league's best regularly laugh off that type of thing and react with more of a "who the hell are you supposed to be?" kind of attitude.
The guys who get under Boogie's skin are big tough guys so getting back at them may not be so easy. I sure get your point. I hate to say it as some people think I am making an excuse but Boogie IS young. He's got far more than a decade left in his career.

Another thing, i wonder who ratted out Cousins on the punch? it was clearly something that nobody in the media caught wind of during the game. it was obviously brought to the league attention by someone with the Rockets after the game. Was it Beverly? that would be a bad look for him considering all of his dirty plays, including the one that knocked Russel Westbrook out of the playoffs last year...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Just to comment on some of the posts in this thread: based on Kingster's description Cousins was thrown to the ground by Harden at the 5 min mark. The punch however, occured with 9 minutes to go in the 1st. So ... I don't see how the punch can be considered retaliation for anything from this game.

That's all.
You don't understand? Really?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Another thing, i wonder who ratted out Cousins on the punch? it was clearly something that nobody in the media caught wind of during the game. it was obviously brought to the league attention by someone with the Rockets after the game. Was it Beverly? that would be a bad look for him considering all of his dirty plays, including the one that knocked Russel Westbrook out of the playoffs last year...
Why don't the Kings rat out Harden? I realize what he did was not a tech. Perhaps it WAS reported and went into a little book labeled "Harden."

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Isaiah Thomas "sells" calls like crazy. Every time he goes around a screen and gets a little bit of contact he whips his head back so hard I sometimes wonder how it's possible he doesn't get whiplash. If the whistle doesn't blow he continues on, perfectly fine.
I think IT handles it well from the stand point of getting a foul called, and he gets a bunch, to continuing on when he doesn't get the call.