NBA suspends, fines Cousins

http://nba.si.com/2014/02/27/demarcus-cousins-suspension-fine-verbal-abuse-referee-kings/?eref=sihp

SI showing the punch?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...amento-kings-suspended-1-game-fined-20000-nba

...The NBA suspended Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins for one game and fined him $20,000 on Thursday for punching an opposing player and verbally abusing an official in a game earlier this week.

The league suspended Cousins for punching Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley in the stomach (and) ...was fined for verbally abusing official Courtney Kirkland and failing to leave the court in a timely manner after an ejection with 8:21 remaining in the third quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
No he meant to hit him with fist, no attempt to use body up close. That was a straight sucka punch to the gut.
I agree after looking at in slow motion and regular speed. Problem child simply sucker punched him in the gut. I don't care about any suppose bad blood between Cousins and Beverly. To use favorite Coach Malone expression of late - pathetic!

That didn't look like a punch to me. Looked like a half-baked attempt to bump a cutter. A foul for sure, but not suspension worthy.
Are you for real? I ask because I can't tell if you are just trying to parody an over-enthusiastic Boogie fan or if you actually believe that he didn't sucker punch him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If we want to look on the bright side, he was probably going to get suspended anyway for his antics towards the officials, so the punch was free! Right? Right?

What I can say is, it's not like he's the only person I've ever seen engage in "questionable" bump-the-cutter tactics - I've seen several situations like that against our players this year alone that were equally egregious. Nobody else got suspended, though. The vicious circle remains in effect.

If we want to look on the bright side, he was probably going to get suspended anyway for his antics towards the officials, so the punch was free! Right? Right?

What I can say is, it's not like he's the only person I've ever seen engage in "questionable" bump-the-cutter tactics - I've seen several situations like that against our players this year alone that were equally egregious. Nobody else got suspended, though. The vicious circle remains in effect.
Uh....you saw a player get sucker punched like that? I just don't believe you.

I'm not going to comment on the incident or Cuz behavior but I don't mind the repercussion. We are battling with the lakers for last in the west for this high draft pick

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The more bothersome element in this story is that Cousins said in a radio interview on 1140 he doesn't regard all of his TOs as real technicals. So he's not really accepting responsibility for all of them, just some of them. He also said there's nothing he can do about these technicals, as if the situation were completely out of his hands, again as if he were merely the victim of eggregious officiating. It continues a pattern in which he doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for much of anything. Taken in isolation, this technical is meaningless. It's when you look at within the pattern of his 3.5+ years that you just don't know where this all headed.

By the way, I haven't heard squat about the league's response to Harden throwing Cousins to the floor...

The more bothersome element in this story is that Cousins said in a radio interview on 1140 he doesn't regard all of his TOs as real technicals. So he's not really accepting responsibility for all of them, just some of them. He also said there's nothing he can do about these technicals, as if the situation were completely out of his hands, again as if he were merely the victim of eggregious officiating. It continues a pattern in which he doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for much of anything. Taken in isolation, this technical is meaningless. It's when you look at within the pattern of his 3.5+ years that you just don't know where this all headed.

By the way, I haven't heard squat about the league's response to Harden throwing Cousins to the floor...
I want to see video of Harden throwing Cousins to the floor.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want to see video of Harden throwing Cousins to the floor.
You'll have to look for it then. I have it on my DVR.

It's with 5 minutes left in the first quarter. Not only do you see Harden running around the Cousins screen and throwing him down, you hear the big THUD of Cousins hitting the floor AND you the crowd immediately at the scene give a big outburst.

Last edited:
Time to grow up. I dont think he is a bad person, i dont think they should trade him..but grow the F up. It is so embarrassing. This crap, the overall demeaner on the court, etc. Maybe if this team was even sniffng. 500, or ever sniffed. 500 in his tenure, i could look the other way.

Character counts and every one of these repeated on-court incidents simply drops him another notch. Cousins reportedly refuses to see psychiatrist for his issues. One way or the other he needs to wake up to HIS (not someone else's) stupid anger management problem. I'm frankly fed up with hearing how smart he is, how he just wants to win, etc. The evidence continues to grow to the contrary or he is border line psychotic. It's not smart to sucker punch ANYONE. It's COWARDLY. If you want to win you don't constantly look like you're mad at entire world on the court, and act out accordingly with technical foul, after technical foul - that's LOSER mentality, not how WINNERS go about their business. If I were the Kings I'd tell him for every technical he gets from now until end of season he will be suspended by the team two games, besides what NBA imposes. The problem child must learn to act like a man not a fool.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Character counts and every one of these repeated on-court incidents simply drops him another notch. Cousins reportedly refuses to see psychiatrist for his issues. One way or the other he needs to wake up to HIS (not someone else's) stupid anger management problem. I'm frankly fed up with hearing how smart he is, how he just wants to win, etc. The evidence continues to grow to the contrary or he is border line psychotic. It's not smart to sucker punch ANYONE. It's COWARDLY. If you want to win you don't constantly look like you're mad at entire world on the court, and act out accordingly with technical foul, after technical foul - that's LOSER mentality, not how WINNERS go about their business. If I were the Kings I'd tell him for every technical he gets from now until end of season he will be suspended by the team two games, besides what NBA imposes. The problem child must learn to act like a man not a fool.
You seem upset. The amazing thing is that he has been doing well except for the last few weeks. Have all his gains been flushed down the toilet? Did you expect a straight line upwards in his maturation? You know better than that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Uh....you saw a player get sucker punched like that? I just don't believe you.
Sure did. I think it was McLemore, but I didn't keep a note of it in my diary so I can't remember for sure it was Ben, nor do I remember who did it. But I do remember thinking that chucking a shoulder into a cutter was one thing but punching them in the gut was another.

You seem upset. The amazing thing is that he has been doing well except for the last few weeks. Have all his gains been flushed down the toilet? Did you expect a straight line upwards in his maturation? You know better than that.
I agree, Cousins was making some progress and then regressed. So, I say nip it in the bud now, or at least try to before it gets perhaps as bad or worse next season. There need to be line drawn somewhere and I recommended one.

It's things like this that make me care less and less about DeMarcus. I agree, the dude wants to win. But, C'Mon now! Sucker punching a guy? Getting technical after technical after technical?

Look, I've said it in the past, i really wanna like the dude, and am willing to give him a chance. But when he does crap like this on a consistent basis, I almost wanna say "f it", or even "f him".

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Cousins' mood and behavior were quite good at the beginning of the season. People were commenting on it. Some would argue there has been a downturn starting a few weeks ago. Others might say that this is a one time event reminiscent of the first three years. There is a difference in Boogie between the beginning of the season and now.

A lot of things have changed as to roster. The team is losing. The team's goals have nothing to do with winning. Maybe a 23 year old should not be designated the leader of the team and strangely enough, the anchor of the defense. When Malone said that Boogie was the defensive anchor I almost fell over. Maybe he feels responsible for this crappy team. I have little doubt he DOES feel responsible or at least perceives his role as being responsible.

There may be a whole bunch of changes that none of us are aware of. In any case, none of us knows what is going on and not one of us knows what to do about it.

The FO should know what is wrong and it is up to them to handle it.

Last edited:
Maybe he's still upset over not getting an All-Star birth, especially seeing Anthony Davis instead. But even if that's true it's immature and idiotic to take that anger onto the court only to have your actions hurt Kings team. Because this is Cousins first major explosion with the new regime hopefully they can deal with it better than what was done before he got new "clean sheet."

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Maybe he's still upset over not getting an All-Star birth, especially seeing Anthony Davis instead. But even if that's true it's immature and idiotic to take that anger onto the court only to have your actions hurt Kings team. Because this is Cousins first major explosion with the new regime hopefully they can deal with it better than what was done before he got new "clean sheet."
You sound calmer. :)

K

KingMilz

All this crap about him getting upset over a all star spot is the biggest excuse I have ever heard, he said when he signed his extension he wants to take Sacramento to be playoffs time or something along those lines right? If he really cared about that he would not care at all about missing the ASG which is a individual award. Him getting tossed from games and getting techs and all the other crap does not help this team win nor does it make his teammates better nor will it help in signing free agents.

I like DMC as player cause of his skillset but you have to wonder how much he really does care and if he will ever focus his energy into positive acts on the court. Every single game nearly he losses his cool and starts forcing shots or yelling at refs/teammates.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
PDA to come on Napear 1140 radio show at 4:35 PM and later the coach.
I hope they stay pc. This is not the time to make this a public debate especially considering the way I think Cuz takes such public airings of his emotional deficiencies. As Grant doesn't like Cuz, this may not end well. I feel the flames being fanned. Get what I mean?