Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He's undoubtedly picking up his 19 mil opt, so expires in 15
I don't think we for an instant are picking up Rudy Gay with the thought of letting him go. This is a win now, get Cousins a #2 move. Be nice to have that monstronsity over though so we can resign him to something a little more reasonable next time out.

Holy.

Freaking.

Crap.

Never been a fan of Gay. Pretty much ever. He's talented, but he's incredibly inefficient and takes horrible shots most of the time. But anytime you can get rid of basically ALL of our unwanted/very unproductive players for a talented player like Gay? Hell yea. Awesome work PDA. Even better? His contract is over in 2 years anyway!

Quincy Acy is a nice little find too. He's extremely physical and a pretty good defensive player. Sort of like a more skilled Jon Brockman type. Very handy to have as your 10th man

Bricklayer

Can't imagine Cousins is happy to see PPatt being traded but hopefully he understands it's just a business
There has been some meeting of the minds this year with Cuz and the front office. Who knows what exactly they have been telling him, but I think he's been informed and consented to/approved of the idea of massive turnover, and he just has to hang in there until they get it done.

Quincy Acy is a real intriguing prospect at 23-years-old. He was a fan favorite in Toronto and a lot of fans are upset he was included in the deal. I have heard reports that hes a, "Reggie Evans with a jump shot." Say what?!?!? Yes, please!!

Source or speculation?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-raptors-kings-rudy-gay-trade-000950446-nba.html

The Toronto Raptors have reached an agreement in principle to send Rudy Gay to the Sacramento Kings, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Kings will send Greivis Vasquez, John Salmons, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes to the Raptors. The Kings will also acquire Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray in the deal, sources said.

The Raptors and Gay had become increasingly unhappy with each other, league sources said, and Gay's contract was an obstacle to the franchise's desire to begin the rebuilding process.

Gay is making $17.8 million this year, and holds a player option for $19.3 million for the 2014-15 season. The forward will almost assuredly exercise the option and take that salary next season.

The Kings plan to use Gay at the stretch-four position.

Ujiri is in his first full season running the Raptors. The possibility of Toronto getting into the high lottery for the star-packed 2014 NBA Draft is important, especially with the possibility of selecting Toronto-native Andrew Wiggins of Kansas. Toronto has lost five straight games, and dropped to 6-12 in the Eastern Conference.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Another thing that comes from this is that we're essentially trading three rotation players and a backup center for one rotation player and a backup center.

We might be able to really tighten up our rotations with this trade:

C: Cousins 36 / JT 6 / (Gray or Ndiaye) 6
PF: JT 24 / Gay 12/ Williams 12
SF: Gay 24 / Williams 18 / (Outlaw or Acy) 6
SG: McLemore 30 / Thornton 18
PG: IT 36 / (Ray Mc or Jimmer) 12

Landry will change things once he's healthy but off the cuff, that's:
Cousins 36
IT 36
Gay 36
McLemore 30
Williams 30
JT 30
Thornton 18
Everybody else 12 or less

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I mentioned this trade(sans Vasquez) a few months ago and people here called me a lunatic. Talent wins in this league and we just traded 3 scrubs and a solid backup PG for an All Star level talent. Our starting lineup will go from Vasquez, Thornton, Salmons, Patterson, Cousins to IT, McLemore, Gay, JT/Williams, Cousins( the talent level is night and day). This also means Ray Mac begins his journey as the backup PG and IT takes his rightful spot as a starting PG.
Here's a cookie. Get over it. :p

Bad news? You have to bake it yourself. (Chill for two hours and then bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes.)

dude12

Hall of Famer
I know they have him listed as a PF, but Acy was a SF at Baylor, and I still think that's his best position. He's not a bad outside shooter, and is a good defender.
He's a tweener with a 7'2" wingspan....I think he's more of a SF/PF but really what he could become or needs to become is Draymond Green from GS. Green has transformed himself into a defensive stopper who can hit the 3.

I think Gay's spell in Toronto has soured many on him, but he was playing with a bunch of NBA journeymen and Demar Derozan essentially. I have faith that Malone can get him to buy into our system and get him back to his Memphis days where he was a top 5 SF in the league only behind Lebron, Durant and Melo.

As much as I'd love to add Rondo to this mix, we don't have that much in terms of assets anymore. No pick to trade. Just traded our cap space.

We could deal Thomas and/or McLemore. That's about it, and I don't know if that gets it done, or if we want to part ways with Mac this early.

I'd consider Thomas and McLemore for Rondo and Bradley, or Rondo and some of the many picks Boston has.

I don't think we for an instant are picking up Rudy Gay with the thought of letting him go. This is a win now, get Cousins a #2 move. Be nice to have that monstronsity over though so we can resign him to something a little more reasonable next time out.
If he plays the way he was playing in Toronto, then everyone will want him gone in a couple of weeks. However, if he some how learns to play within the offense, then I'm all for keeping him post 15.

Hopefully, he was simply trying to shoot himself out of Toronto, but even that kind of attitude contradicts managements emphasis on character.

By all accounts Dwayne Casey is terrible. I'm interested to see what Gay can do with a different coach. Has to be better than what he was doing this year. Gay has been bad in the past, but his dropoff this season has been weird.

As much as I'd love to add Rondo to this mix, we don't have that much in terms of assets anymore. No pick to trade. Just traded our cap space.

We could deal Thomas and/or McLemore. That's about it, and I don't know if that gets it done, or if we want to part ways with Mac this early.

I'd consider Thomas and McLemore for Rondo and Bradley, or Rondo and some of the many picks Boston has.
IT and Thornton and future picks. The way IT is playing now is most likely promising to a rebuilding team. Add in future draft picks and it may push someone over the top and get us another piece of our future starting lineup.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
By all accounts Dwayne Casey is terrible. I'm interested to see what Gay can do with a different coach. Has to be better than what he was doing this year. Gay has been bad in the past, but his dropoff this season has been weird.
Well, he somehow managed to play for Lionel Hollins for three and a half years, without learning how to play defense, so I'm not super confident...

Bricklayer

Yep, those are precisely the assets that would be involved in such a deal. IT + Thornton (Ainge has always liked IT). Ben and Thornton (but then what do we paly at SG). That kind of thing. And they always were. In my little scenario last month I always assumed Gay would be the relatively easy guy to get. Stained reputation, big contract. Bail the Raptors out of the financial committment and they would talk. Ainge though will want a good young piece if you were actually to go shopping for Rondo as well.

Wow, this one is completely out of the blue. Well, at least nobody can say that PDA is resting on his laurels.

OK, so I'm not a huge Gay fan, but this is a win for us at this moment. He's still a clear talent and if he can get back to his best (or near it) then he's a borderline All-Star type which, despite the money he's making, is obviously a great thing. Especially when you consider that we gave up pretty much nothing.

My only small worry is that this strips us of our first round pick this year if we finish tenth worse or better. We need to get a good player in this draft to add to IT/Ben/Gay/Williams/Cousins. At that point you have plenty of options and talent going forward. Probably worrying about nothing but I would hate to see that happen.

Now, who wants to take it a step further and play with the idea of trading IT and a future pick for Rondo, and really kickstart the culture change towards winning/defense?! :p

I do like how aggressive PDA is, so credit where it's due. If we can't surround Cuz with talent, it certainly won't be for lack of trying. His approach is certainly refreshing to a fanbase that has had much of its energy drained due to the previous regime. Encouraging signs! :)

Bricklayer

Grizzlies got better when they traded Gay, gotta wait and see what will he brings to the Kings.
Did they? Oh the pocket protectors in their front office wanted everybody to think they were so brilliant and all, but they still got eliminated, precipitated a break with their successful coach, and now are staring down missing the playoffs with a fork in the back of Tayshaun Prince. The grass isn't always greener, and it rarely can be calculated out by mathematical formulae.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he plays the way he was playing in Toronto, then everyone will want him gone in a couple of weeks. However, if he some how learns to play within the offense, then I'm all for keeping him post 15.

Hopefully, he was simply trying to shoot himself out of Toronto, but even that kind of attitude contradicts managements emphasis on character.
Kings fans have ALWAYS given new players the benefit of the doubt. I see no reason not to do so in this instance. I know it's not popular with everyone to say, but you have to think that the front office considered everything before they traded for him. They're not the Maloofs. They're not trying to make things bad.