Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

couple question:

Who starts now? does JT go to the bench? or does D-Will go to the bench?
who comes off the bench at PG, Ray Mac or Jimmer?

and, with a starting lineup including Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay on the floor, will DeMarcus Cousins ever get the ball again?
It's a mess, hope Malone uses the right rotation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ACK! Mixed feelings. Now I feel obligated to watch the Raptors game to see what kind of Kings-related discussions take place. I will take solace in rooting against the brave little soldier to help pass the time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, with Landry hurt and JT our best backup to Cousins, he might be our new starting power forward! (OK, yeah, I don't actually think that, but he's a young PF.)
I know they have him listed as a PF, but Acy was a SF at Baylor, and I still think that's his best position. He's not a bad outside shooter, and is a good defender.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm guessing this means:

Gray replaces Hayes straight up
Williams shifts down to backup PF in place of Patterson
Acy takes over a bit for Salmons as a backup SF
Gay takes over at starting SF
IT takes over at starting PG
McCallum takes over at backup PG

With Gray around, Thompson is now free to continue starting at PF without us lacking backup C size.

The biggest question is with three gunners in the starting lineup, will Cousins ever touch the ball again. And will Ben. IT just HAS to play it unselfish now. I doubt Gay will. Cousisn should be single covered now though.

C- Cousins/Gray/Ndiaye
PF- Thompson/Williams/Landry (eventually) -- something more will be traded here
SF- Gay, (some Williams), Acy
SG- McLemore, Thornton, Jimmer (still not solved, somebody should be traded here)
PG- It/McCallum (maybe Jimmer)

I'm guessing this means:

With Gray around, Thompson is now free to continue starting at PF without us lacking backup C size.

The biggest question is with three gunners in the starting lineup, will Cousins ever touch the ball again. And will Ben. IT just HAS to play it unselfish now. I doubt Gay will. Cousisn should be single covered now though.
Plan is to play Gay as a stretch 4. Basically, Gay and Williams are interchangeable at this point as starters.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I was a Rudy Gay fan when he was in Memphis, but "advanced stats" hate him and I really didn't want him this year. So not a lot of positive energy over this trade, but it does shake things up. I imagine the FO figured their capspace is useless for attracting free agents, so they're going to use it on Gay's bad contract for a year or two to see how it plays out.

This will result in a rather interesting staring five, but as I mentioned in some other thread, the team is being built to run and Cousins is not built to run.
He can watch.

I'm going to give Gay a chance to play with Cousins before I deem it impossible to work. He's never played with a big man as good as Cousins. There will be dunks everywhere though that will be fun to watch

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know they have him listed as a PF, but Acy was a SF at Baylor, and I still think that's his best position. He's not a bad outside shooter, and is a good defender.
Interesting. When he played at Baylor I was convinced he was bigger. But he's actually only 6'7.75" in shoes from the combine - a quarter inch shorter than Gay! He'll probably be deep bench any way you look at it, but that might push Outlaw more towards backing up the PF.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not the place for it, but Rondo springs to mind... already a discussion going in the personnel forum.
If that happens too I simply must go refind my post from last month suggesting a scenario where the Kings took advantage of tanking teams to put together a Cousins/Gay/Rondo core.

It would also mean that the gerbil and I were on the same page, which would of course be much to his credit.

I'm guessing this means:

C- Cousins/Gray/Ndiaye
PF- Thompson/Williams/Landry (eventually) -- something more will be traded here
SF- Gay, (some Williams), Acy
SG- McLemore, Thornton, Jimmer (still not solved, somebody should be traded here)
PG- It/McCallum (maybe Jimmer)
Outlaw wasn't traded, was he?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That concerns me as well. GV and Salmons fed cuz. They're replaced by gay and still have mt.
Simple answer. Start McCallum at the point. I know everyone thinks this trade means IT starts, and its possible. But malone has stated many times that he likes IT coming off the bench, so its also possible that he might give McCallum a shot as the starting PG. to make sure there's a little more ball distribution. Lets face it, all McCallum has to do is bring the ball up and get it into Cuz, and then let the offense run through him.

It will be interesting to see if Malone can get Gay to play the way he was playing a few years ago. He's only 27 years old.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If that happens too I simply must go refind my post from last month suggesting a scenario where the Kings took advantage of tanking teams to put together a Cousins/Gay/Rondo core.

It would also mean that the gerbil and I were on the same page, which would of course be much to his credit.
I just love humility!

I mentioned this trade(sans Vasquez) a few months ago and people here called me a lunatic. Talent wins in this league and we just traded 3 scrubs and a solid backup PG for an All Star level talent. Our starting lineup will go from Vasquez, Thornton, Salmons, Patterson, Cousins to IT, McLemore, Gay, JT/Williams, Cousins( the talent level is night and day). This also means Ray Mac begins his journey as the backup PG and IT takes his rightful spot as a starting PG.