What's most disgusting?

• Mayonnaise

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Brussel Sprouts

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Marcus Thornton's season

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
can't expect Outlaw to guard Randolph for that long. not fair to him. and when the game got close, Salmons and Thornton bricked away our chance of winning, when they should have been on the bench

Good to see Outlaw back in after a well-deserved bit of a rest. If I were part of the grading consortium, I would definitely comment Malone for his resolve tonight. It's about so much more than one game against the Memphis Grizzlies.
The big picture can be a hard pill to swallow for the 'win now' fan base.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
When Z-Bo and Gasol started to reassert themselves was when we should have put Cousins and maybe other starters back in, oh well, I am curious to see what Cousins' reaction is to being benched.

I am getting so tired of the losing. Another lose.
And they haven't even started a road trip yet... They want to sell tickets, but unless they start making some moves the Kings will have a hard time selling tickets... Being a fan is hard sometimes when they are not even competitive. This new ownership group needs to spend some $$ and get some talent.

If you put them back in, what did they learn? Sorry. It's like not letting a kid watch his favorite program because he messed up and then letting him watch the last half anyway.

And it's not about winning and losing, in case you've forgotten. It's about establishing a culture where your team HATES TO LOSE. They only learn that lesson when they realize if they don't play 100% they're not gonna play at all...and they'll lose.
They sat for a long time. I felt the message was sent. At a certain point, the message goes from "I am going to go with guys who will play the way we need to play to win and you have to go along with that." to "I am just going to lose the game to say you weren't playing with energy."

S

storisaurus

As far as teaching the team a lesson, they aren't kindergartners. They are grown men and don't care about a lesson; most of this team cares about getting their shots up and cashing those checks. They won't change. Blow the whole thing up, there are no untouchables on this team; including Cousins. If the right deal came along such as, say, the #1 pick in the draft for Cousins...you do it and don't look back.

K

KingMilz

When Z-Bo and Gasol started to reassert themselves was when we should have put Cousins and maybe other starters back in, oh well, I am curious to see what Cousins' reaction is to being benched.
Hopefully better defense and shot selection

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The big picture can be a hard pill to swallow for the 'win now' fan base.
The "win now" crowd obviously doesn't have a clue.

I don't mean to be unusually harsh, but geez. We want a coach who will mold our team into a TEAM THAT HATES TO LOSE. Malone is showing that he's not afraid to take the bumps to be that coach. There's no guarantee at all the starters would have eked out a win had they been put back in, and doing so would have sent the wrong message to the guys who worked their arses off. The bench DESERVED to stay out there. THEY EARNED IT. The starters didn't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As far as teaching the team a lesson, they aren't kindergartners. They are grown men and don't care about a lesson; most of this team cares about getting their shots up and cashing those checks. They won't change. Blow the whole thing up, there are no untouchables on this team; including Cousins. If the right deal came alond such as, say, the #1 pick in the draft for Cousins...you do it and don't look back.
That is arguably the dumbest thing you've said on the board, and considering some of your previous blatherings about Jimmer, that's saying something.

Just stop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They sat for a long time. I felt the message was sent. At a certain point, the message goes from "I am going to go with guys who will play the way we need to play to win and you have to go along with that." to "I am just going to lose the game to say you weren't playing with energy."
And your point is? The message is "If you're going to play like crap, don't expect to get back into the game when the bench has saved your arse. Either give 100% all the time or ride the pine. You will not be rewarded for poor play by being allowed to come back in when you haven't earned it. The guys who earned it will finish out, win or lose. If that bothers you, THEN FREAKING TRY HARDER!"

My point is that:

1. If you are trying to establish a "hate to lose" mentality then you can't so obviously throw away a game by not making substiutions to match up against a guy (Randolph) who was abusing you down low. You can't refuse to make subs after you've already sent the message.
2. Sending a message is fine, but then you have to give your guys a chance at redemption. Let them come back and show that they want to win.

dude12

Hall of Famer
As far as teaching the team a lesson, they aren't kindergartners. They are grown men and don't care about a lesson; most of this team cares about getting their shots up and cashing those checks. They won't change. Blow the whole thing up, there are no untouchables on this team; including Cousins. If the right deal came along such as, say, the #1 pick in the draft for Cousins...you do it and don't look back.
You don't get it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Those are some ugly statlines, though. Did the offense bog down into 1 on 1 ball tonight or what?
Reader's Digest version:

Starters sucked. Nobody could hit a jumper to save their lives. MT should be shot. Bench got us back but couldn't hold the lead. Starters were intentionally left on the bench for the rest of the game, as they should have been.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point is that:

1. If you are trying to establish a "hate to lose" mentality then you can't so obviously throw away a game by not making substiutions to match up against a guy (Randolph) who was abusing you down low. You can't refuse to make subs after you've already sent the message.
2. Sending a message is fine, but then you have to give your guys a chance at redemption. Let them come back and show that they want to win.
Their redemption can come with the next game. Let them prove they really want to be out there.

dude12

Hall of Famer
My point is that:

This is not the first time this has happened. Like he is saying in the post game......he's just trying to win a game.

As far as teaching the team a lesson, they aren't kindergartners. They are grown men and don't care about a lesson; most of this team cares about getting their shots up and cashing those checks. They won't change. Blow the whole thing up, there are no untouchables on this team; including Cousins. If the right deal came alond such as, say, the #1 pick in the draft for Cousins...you do it and don't look back.
Yeah...that's how the 80's & 90's(pre-98', of course)Kings got to be such stellar winners by doing that every year?? Blow it up...then when it doesn't work again...blow it up again...and again...and...well, you get the picture. I think you have to make trades to better the team...and I think the group of guys you DON'T trade on this team are your rock in Cousins, IT, Saclemore, Vasquez, and my view on Patterson is still up in the air, he's got a chance to fit into Malone's system once he gets healthy and we get a couple more pieces to enhance ball movement and not ball hogging. That is your core for the future. I think the guys you CAN trade that can bring you something of value are Thornton, Jimmer, Salmons(expiring), JT.

This is not the first time this has happened. Like he is saying in the post game......he's just trying to win a game.
I know it's about winning, but when you don't make a sub to try to win then the players won't buy the "winning" message. Heck, it didn't even need to be Cousins that was put back in. You could throw Chuck Hayes at Randolph by subbing him in for Salmons.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah...that's how the 80's & 90's(pre-98', of course)Kings got to be such stellar winners by doing that every year?? Blow it up...then when it doesn't work again...blow it up again...and again...and...well, you get the picture. I think you have to make trades to better the team...and I think the group of guys you DON'T trade on this team are your rock in Cousins, IT, Saclemore, Vasquez, and my view on Patterson is still up in the air, he's got a chance to fit into Malone's system once he gets healthy and we get a couple more pieces to enhance ball movement and not ball hogging. That is your core for the future. I think the guys you CAN trade that can bring you something of value are Thornton, Jimmer, Salmons(expiring), JT.
FYI - storisaurus: resident Jimmermaniac.