Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
#5 pick:
1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Fox
4. Tatum
5. Jackson

So far this is equivalent to my overall big board. I seem to be lower on Jackson than most. Think his psychological testing might be an issue and I distrust his shot more than Fox'.

#10 pick:
now it gets interesting. 1-5 is anyone that falls out of my top 5 but after that, mhh. I decided to put trades into it. Right now I'd put it:

6. Issac
7. Smith Jr.
8. Monk
8. Trade down with Portland for #15 or #20 + Harkless, target Anunoby/Evans
9. Trade down with Detroit for #12 + Stanley Johnson, target Donovan Mitchell or whoever falls
10. Depends on pick at 5: If its Fox: Markannen/Collins. If its a SF: Ntilikina/Mitchell

Yeah I'm having the same problem. Not sure what to do with Isaac/Dennis Smith. Both,were in my top 3 throughout the year but now I have bumped them down, trying to read into character. However this is of course nearly impossible without actual psychological testing. So I wouldnt be shocked to see them outperform their slots.
I really like the trade scenarios. Harkless is a favorite target for me as well, especially if we can parlay Portland's cap situation into a bonus pick to spend on someone like OG, Bam, or Jawun Evans. I don't know what kind of value Stan Van Gundy has placed on Stanley Johnson right now (it can't be that high considering he was glued to the bench for a good chunk of the season) but he's one of my favorite prospects I've ever evaluated and he looked really good at times during his rookie season. It's a risky move perhaps since some people already see him as a bust but I'd take him over any of the SFs in this class if I could, even Josh Jackson. Stanley and De'Aaron on the same team would be a dream come true for me. Two guys who love to play defense and won't back down from anyone.

Speaking of SFs, part of the reason I can't get excited about Jayson Tatum is that next year's draft could have Michael Porter Jr, Luka Doncic, and Miles Bridges in the lottery and all three of them are better prospects in my opinion. Tatum just seems like such a bland option. He's the Thomas Robinson of this draft for me... everyone has him in their top 6 by default but is he really going to be one of the 10 best players at his position in 5 years? I don't see it.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Seems like most everyone has ntlinka instead of Mitchell in their top ten. Maybe cause ntlinka is supposed to be more of a point guard than Michell? From what I understand there's questions about ntlinkas pg skills as well. Defensively I'm going Michell. Offensively both guys have question marks but Mitchell has superior strength and athleticism... I'm not seeing it with Frank N.
For my part its mostly just ignorance as regards Donovan Mitchell. He wasn't on my radar and I didn't catch any Louisville matchups last year. He's in play as high as #8 so he should be under consideration for us but I feel I can't evaluate him fairly so I left him off my list. I have been watching him very closely recently since he appears to be this draft's version of Damian Lillard, skating under the radar all year and then shooting into the lottery in the last month. Hopefully the Kings front office is better informed than I am. I'm sure they are.

Ntilikina is mostly projection but like Luwawu last year he's got some impressive tools. My only real concern with him is that he might not have the handle to stick at PG which is a problem for us considering our glut of two guards. He's an ideal fit for a team looking to run a more passing oriented offensive (as opposed to breaking down defense off the dribble) which leads most people to think New York is his best fit but ball movement was a big part of our gameplan after the Boogie trade too. And while he's not strong enough to be a great individual defender yet, his size and instincts make him a very enticing weapon to deploy in team defensive schemes which are just as important to the modern NBA as three point shooting.

For my part its mostly just ignorance as regards Donovan Mitchell. He wasn't on my radar and I didn't catch any Louisville matchups last year. He's in play as high as #8 so he should be under consideration for us but I feel I can't evaluate him fairly so I left him off my list. I have been watching him very closely recently since he appears to be this draft's version of Damian Lillard, skating under the radar all year and then shooting into the lottery in the last month. Hopefully the Kings front office is better informed than I am. I'm sure they are.

Ntilikina is mostly projection but like Luwawu last year he's got some impressive tools. My only real concern with him is that he might not have the handle to stick at PG which is a problem for us considering our glut of two guards. He's an ideal fit for a team looking to run a more passing oriented offensive (as opposed to breaking down defense off the dribble) which leads most people to think New York is his best fit but ball movement was a big part of our gameplan after the Boogie trade too. And while he's not strong enough to be a great individual defender yet, his size and instincts make him a very enticing weapon to deploy in team defensive schemes which are just as important to the modern NBA as three point shooting.
Yeah, it sure seems like Frank N and Mitchell have a lot of the same questions offensively. Defensively Mitchell is ready to contribute and defend either guard position while Frank looks to be a ways off. Donovan is long and athletic with an NBA build. Has a better shot than Marcus Smart... Maybe a best case Eric Bledose type?

Hmm... I'll have a full mock ready before the draft..

For now, all I'ma say is I have Markkanen higher than everyone who's posted so far. I understand Skal's here so there's a redundancy issue, I really think he's better than many are giving him credit for though - I think he's a better prospect than Thon Maker and Frank Kaminsky. Seems to me like he could score 20+PPG..
Even though Markkanen is not on people's boards or lower does not mean he doesn't turn into a good player. I think with Hield though the Kings have a volume shooter already. There was some discussion on a different thread some while back between Markkanen and Collins. After watching Collins, I am fairly high on him as an energy player and superior blocker - I think overall he brings more than Markkanen. There's no doubt though if Markkanen makes a smooth transition with his shooting, many teams will be left wondering why they didn't pick him, or then again he could be the next Bargnani. His shot does look excellent. Its a crap shoot.

My top ten:
Fox

Isaac

Jackson

Fultz

Ball

Collins

Smith

Ntilikina

Tatum

Markannen

Here's a trade proposal that might work: Portland gets Afflalo, and Kings get Harkless and Napier and #20. That relieves Portland of 10.3 million from the two traded and 11 million from voiding Afflalo's contract giving Portland 21.3 million in contract savings and a big tax savings. That would give us Picks 5, 10, 20, & 34, enough to use 10 & 20 to move up to 6, giving us a chance to land Fox(hopefully) and Isaac(hopefully) & still have the 34th pick or include the 34th pick to make it work. We're only asking for the 20th pick which should help getting it done. I feel that Fox and Isaac would give us the best chance for at least one allstar and one very very good player.

My draft board

Note: this is a combination of BPA and filling out needs, so that does mean that the odd player might be ranked lower that could rank higher in a pure BPA board.

1. Fultz: best talent available with lots of upside.

2. Ball:
another player with lots of upside. Great passer, can score, and a leader.

3. Tatum:
it is fair to say this kid doesn't have an elite attribute, but he is a solid all round player that will be able to contribute at both ends. I see his floor around Otto Porter and his realistic upside as Rudy Gay with better defense, though he could be better than that.

4. Smith: this choice comes down to his elite athleticism and scoring potential. He's a decent enough shooter and acceptable as a play maker. He needs to improve his play making but he's got the skill set to be a really good player. I see some Kemba Walker in him.

5. Josh Jackson:
lots of potential and upside. In a worst case scenario he becomes a very good defensive player with limited offensive contribution, but if the offensive side of his game improves he's got star potential.

6. Monk:
this one might be unpopular with those going after, but I love this kid's shooting ability and potential as a scorer.

7. Fox:
the main reason this kid is this low is because of his shooting. If that side develops he's got all star potential, if it doesn't then he has to be an elite defensive player and play maker to be a difference maker. I like him and wouldn't be against drafting him, but his shooting is a concern in today's league, and he strikes me as an Elfrid Payton like player.

8. Isaac:
lots of potential but a risky selection if the offensive side of his game doesn't improve and he could also struggle if he doesn't add to his frame. There's also a question mark next to him because he's a bit passive and not really a go to option, but he's an intriguing option.

9. Markkanen:
potential stretch four and could be a nice offensive piece. Not sure how good he will ever be defensively but if he is at least average and contributes offensively there's upside.

10. Zach Collins:
a fairy polished player coming out of college and a solid all round player. He can contribute at both ends and can become a useful player.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me the board would be somewhat fluid and who I would take at 10 would depend on who was taken at five.

If Fox is there at five I like Markkanen at 10.

If Fox is gone and Isaac or Jackson are the pick at five then I'd hope Smith or Ntilikina drop to 10. If not I'd look at Monk or Mitchell.

If the Kings DO take on one of Portland's contracts for a pick (I'd want Harkless but they'd probably try to push Leonard) then I would target Ojeleye.

For me the board would be somewhat fluid and who I would take at 10 would depend on who was taken at five.

If Fox is gone and Isaac or Jackson are the pick at five then I'd hope Smith or Ntilikina drop to 10. If not I'd look at Monk or Mitchell.

If the Kings DO take on one of Portland's contracts for a pick (I'd want Harkless but they'd probably try to push Leonard) then I would target Ojeleye.
I agree with this... Probably not gonna take two guards if we can help it. It's why I'm kind of hoping for a forward at five. Even though I love Fox I like the guards at ten better than the forwards. Jackson and either dsj (dream scenario) or Mitchell would be my combo.

I think with Portland I'd want Harkless and would be willing to accept I think his name is Davis (1 year left). Leonard should be more than one pick.

I think with Portland I'd want Harkless and would be willing to accept I think his name is Davis (1 year left). Leonard should be more than one pick.
I highly doubt Portland will get rid of a very good contract in Harkless for free. If anything, they'd attach at least Evan Turner to him. Ed Davis doesn't do anything beyond 1 year.

It changes a lot but mine looks something like
1. Fultz
2. Jackson
3. Fox
4. Ball
5. Tatum
6. Isaac
7. Smith
8. Ntilikina
9. Markkanen
10. Collins

8-12 is pretty fluid as I like Mitchell and Monk about as much as I like Collins and Markkanen but I go back and forth. If Isaac goes top 4 I think we should be pushing to move up a few spots to come away with a couple of these top 8 guys but that's not always in the cards.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no reason for Portland to include a pick with either Davis or Harkless. They have enough value that they could just move them to a team that wants them. Especially Davis who is on an affordable one-year deal. The reason to include a pick is to incentivize a team to take a player with a bad contract. That's Leonard, Turner and Crabbe.

Of the three I'd only be willing to take Leonard as a 5th or 6th big.

There's no reason for Portland to include a pick with either Davis or Harkless. They have enough value that they could just move them to a team that wants them. Especially Davis who is on an affordable one-year deal. The reason to include a pick is to incentivize a team to take a player with a bad contract. That's Leonard, Turner and Crabbe.

Of the three I'd only be willing to take Leonard as a 5th or 6th big.
They are in taxpayer hell. I don't remember the exact numbers but those two players are around 17 million and work with AA's contract. It all depends on how they value the tax relief. ~17 million for 1.5 not counting taxes.