Women's World Cup

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yes the call was on the encroachment. The angle doesn't show it but I'm told the player entering the area was also the first to play the ball after the save. Or maybe it is just because she was in position for the first touch even if she didn't get anything on it?
That doesn't explain why Solo got a yellow card but perhaps it was for dissent. It was confusing. I guess no one is owed an explanation. The yellow card that followed a few minutes later was confusing also as it was a clean tackle. Spikes were perhaps high but if you hit the ball first, does it make a difference? It was a cheeap call. I don't know what the officials saw and it all made the last hour (did I say "hour?) more exciting and I was very angry and then downhearted until Rapinoe launched that very long kick. I forgot where she kicked it from.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The card was for dissent, even if they ruled her off her line that is not a card. It was a by the book call but a not by the spirit call. Just dumb. Reeks of someone with not enough experience trying too hard to get a match in the next round. Of course she missed plenty of calls both ways too. Can't imagine her getting a big game for some time (so knowing FIFA she'll ref the final).

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I know soccer is number one in the world. I can understand why and that's why I like watching it, because no breaks. MLS I can't watch, it's not the same as international soccer and there is no comparison so if there is going to be some men's soccer, I will watch that.
Man Unit is playing New Eng tomorrow in Boston. And Man Unit isn't playing their B-team either.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Rev fans deserve a bone. Support the Fort. My original MLS team. Became a bit tough to follow after moving West.

Sounders fans deserve to see ManU rip them to shreds.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Seemed everyone I know was watching this live. Gotta love espn3.

Rapinoe is a big favorite here because of her time at UP, but she also has Sac area connections, is she getting a lot of press down there too?

I've heard the ESPN commentators mention several times that she's from Redding. Gotta love the gutsy win even though they were definitely outplayed almost the whole game.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And who are they playing?

They are a good ball control team and obviously can score depite what the announcers say. I think the US is a little sloppy so we'll see. Japan has never beat the US but this IS the World Cup and I doubt if Japan had ever beaten Germany or Sweden either. Just a guess.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Congrats Japan.

Our backline not up to the task of holding the lead, they deserve it. Though I hate that DOGSO red card was basically a freebie.

USA should have had at least 4 or even 5 goals in regulation time... instead lose to Japan on penalty kicks. Still, great effort by the American gals playing against a team of miracle destiny.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
At least nothing weird happened. No ref screw ups but a lot of missed shots which actually isn't so odd either. I'd rather we won but Japan was my second choice. Announcers at the beginning of the WC acted as if Japan as a team didn't exist. Ooops!!

It was very nice seeing Morgan play as she may be the scorer of the future.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Ah, well, next up for me is men's rugby WC. There is always a next huge event and we are lucky as a country to be in competition for almost all the athletic events that exist in the world. We are VERY lucky.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
the International Rugby Board announced that NBC Sports and Universal Sports have been awarded the exclusive rights to the 2011 tournament in New Zealand and the 2015 tournament in England.
I'm not sure what channels this means but I believe Versus which is televising the Tour de France is an NBC station. It starts in September and the USA is ranked 17th so might have difficulty finding TV time. The teams to watch are New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and Ireland.

Go All Blacks!

Last edited: