Women's World Cup

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I suspect there is little to no interest in this but watching Japan and Mexico was a hoot. Between the teams they averaged 5'3".

Anyway, a Japanese player, playing in her 5th World Cup, scored a hat trick. Both achievements are noteworthy. It was said that this has only been accomplished 14 times in World Cup history and I don't know if that meant men and women or just women. Does anyone know.? I know goals are hard to come by in the WC so perhaps that is a fact for both genders.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I suspect there is little to no interest in this but watching Japan and Mexico was a hoot. Between the teams they averaged 5'3".

Anyway, a Japanese player, playing in her 5th World Cup, scored a hat trick. Both achievements are noteworthy. It was said that this has only been accomplished 14 times in World Cup history and I don't know if that meant men and women or just women. Does anyone know.? I know goals are hard to come by in the WC so perhaps that is a fact for both genders.
Has to be both men and women because they've only had the women's world cup since '99 IIRC.

I will watch our team play but don't have a lot of interest in the other teams.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Oh my mistake, its been contested since 91. But still 14 would mean over 2 per Cup (with far fewer teams and games). A lot more frequent than in men's play.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
What time is the game? Timbers-Sounders at 1pm. I'll probably be in line to get in from the point I wake up, would be nice if the cup game is afterwards (doubt it).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Germany is knocked out of the World Cup by Japan. No one predicted it. German crowd is not happy. :( I love it. Went into overtime before Japan scored the only goal. Now the US has to get by Brazil. One of the favorites is gone. 8 AM Pacific Time tomorrow is the US game.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well perhaps I will catch the first half before I head out. Our women falling so early would just be disastrous.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sorry OT, but I hope everyone that pays attention to the beautiful game will watch the Timbers-Sounders game after the Women's game. 1pm Pacific on ESPN. While I'm sure it won't be a technical masterpiece the Timbers Army should definitely up the ante for MLS support tomorrow. I can't wait to see our tifo. Seattle impressed with their "bigger is better" approach when we last met but I'm told we are looking to win the creativity war, which almost certainly means topping this one from 2 years ago:

That said, let's go ladies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Game isn't over. Have never seen a goalie given a yellow card on a PK the way Solo played it. Never. Great save.

I am usually defensive about officials and their bad calls because they simply happen. This was awful as we head into overtime.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Holy $hit!!!!!!! Wambach awakens. A goal in extra time at the end of over time! Courage. Stamina. Unbelievable.

Edit: Can't believe we won on PKs. Can't. This is truly one of the most heroic bits of effort I have seen in any sport. One person down from minute 66 and I swear they looked better a person down than at any other time in the WC. I don't know as much about this team as past years but I swear Rapinoe dominated the last 45 minutes. Endless energy. Maybe it's the blonde hair that makes her stand out but she was amazing. The years of Lilly, Fouty, Chastain, and Hamm were the real glory years but this team is hard to forget now.

Wambach has been scoreless since Novembewr and finally has awakened in the WC. Couldn't be better timing.

All credit to Marta, though. She's incredible.

I believe this will be on ESPN3.com so watch it from the 2nd half on. You don't have to be American to chear for the US. I'm not even sure you need to understand soccer to understand what happened.

Last edited:
I thought it was one of the most dramatic and intense USA victories on any big stage international competition since "Miracle on Ice" Olympic win in 1980. People sometimes forget that stunning USA mens hockey upset over USSR was a semi-final game and it took another miracle to win gold metal in the final. These USA women soccer stars seem destined for a World Cup title in 2011 but now France stands in the way and if victorious, on to face winner of Japan and Sweden. I think it's a remach in final between Sweden and USA - Sweden topping USA earlier in this World Cup.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Was able to watch through regulation than hurriedly pushed refresh on game tracker for the entire bus ride down to the field to my game.

Thank you ladies!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Game isn't over. Have never seen a goalie given a yellow card on a PK the way Solo played it. Never. Great save.
Kinda sorta happened to DC United this year, their goalie came off his line (rather blatantly) and blocked 2 PKs which were re-kicked. On the second he received a yellow for dissent. It seems a bit rash to card Solo but it may have been a reputation call. But if she mistakenly thought the re-kick was for her coming off her line when it really was for encroachment who could blame her?

Finally saw the bit at the end with Erika, wtf was that other than just plain disgraceful. That should have been a card.

Thanks again ladies for saving the day. Onward to the Cup!!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not sure how people can watch Women's soccer, there really must not be anything else on these days in the sports world.
Actually there is baseball, Tour de France, and coming up, WC of rugby. Expand your horizons a little and you will find a lot of sports that are fun to watch. It takes a while to understand the sports and the skills involved but it's better than doing nothing. If you really want boredom, watch some of the sports on Ireland (ducking).

What was the goal of your post?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not sure how people can watch Women's soccer, there really must not be anything else on these days in the sports world.
That's just silly. It's the world cup and so it will always bring out my otherwise suppressed nationalistic side to cheer on our country, just like the Olympics will make me root for US in some things I don't even consider a sport and love every minute of it... and I actually enjoy soccer. These women are playing at the highest level and representing our country well in a sport that we traditionally have never been good at. And while I sometimes dislike women's sports that re-write the rule books of their male counterparts, soccer is largely immune from that. I follow my MLS team and their U-23 team and so I'll usually discuss these games with other supporters at the games as well. Everyone on the bus ride over to the game yesterday was scrambling for updates as the game went to PKs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Actually there is baseball, Tour de France, and coming up, WC of rugby. Expand your horizons a little and you will find a lot of sports that are fun to watch. It takes a while to understand the sports and the skills involved but it's better than doing nothing. If you really want boredom, watch some of the sports on Ireland (ducking).

What was the goal of your post?
I've tried to expand my horizons. You know how many times I kept trying to watch baseball and just didn't get into it? Sure, I don't mind soccer, I like to watch it actually but women's soccer? I'll pass. I don't care what country they are representing either, it's not very fun for me to watch. It might be for you though.

No goal, just expressing what was on my mind at the time.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I saw the piece done on Abby Wambach prior to the start of the WC, and it was all about redemption. After the loss to Sweden, a lot of people were talking about how she should not have been playing, over the hill, etc., etc. It was good to see her get that goal. Truly great, especially against Brasil.

I saw the piece done on Abby Wambach prior to the start of the WC, and it was all about redemption. After the loss to Sweden, a lot of people were talking about how she should not have been playing, over the hill, etc., etc. It was good to see her get that goal. Truly great, especially against Brasil.
Wambach was utterly possessed the entire game. If you watched her intensity she was refusing to lose - not that her team mates were not focused against Brazil - but Abby was in another zone. Then there was absolute perfect crossing pass by "Blondie" Rapihoe that had to be so incredibly on target for Wambach's miracle last minute tieing header. Look at replay if not recalling how amazingly precise - and beautiful game, beautiful goal! The Brazilian goal keeper and another defender were diving towards the ball to deflect and just missed by a matter of inches - or USA goes down to crushing defeat right there.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Wambach was utterly possessed the entire game. If you watched her intensity she was refusing to lose - not that her team mates were not focused against Brazil - but Abby was in another zone. Then there was absolute perfect crossing pass by "Blondie" Rapihoe that had to be so incredibly on target for Wambach's miracle last minute tieing header. Look at replay if not recalling how amazingly precise - and beautiful game, beautiful goal! The Brazilian goal keeper and another defender were diving towards the ball to deflect and just missed by a matter of inches - or USA goes down to crushing defeat right there.
The header was great, but the cross was even better. Beautiful, exaclty on point from 60 yards away. Great, great game.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've tried to expand my horizons. You know how many times I kept trying to watch baseball and just didn't get into it? Sure, I don't mind soccer, I like to watch it actually but women's soccer? I'll pass. I don't care what country they are representing either, it's not very fun for me to watch. It might be for you though.

No goal, just expressing what was on my mind at the time.
Soccer is the #1 sports world wide for a reason. Maybe give the EPL a chance in August. Most talented league, extremely physical, lots of big name players, no commercial breaks, and starts aug 8th, long before anything else is going on in this country sports wise. Watch Barcelona, who's on their way to the states right now, to play MLS teams, and then plays Manchester United at the end of the month. Barcelona plays by far, the most beautiful soccer in the world, which requires immense talent.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Rapinoe was like an energizer bunny for the entire time the team was one person down. During a lot of that time the USA was on the offense despite the disadvantage. She was a big part of it. Maybe it's just her hair that made her stand out but after two hours she was going strong.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Soccer is the #1 sports world wide for a reason. Maybe give the EPL a chance in August. Most talented league, extremely physical, lots of big name players, no commercial breaks, and starts aug 8th, long before anything else is going on in this country sports wise. Watch Barcelona, who's on their way to the states right now, to play MLS teams, and then plays Manchester United at the end of the month. Barcelona plays by far, the most beautiful soccer in the world, which requires immense talent.
I know soccer is number one in the world. I can understand why and that's why I like watching it, because no breaks. MLS I can't watch, it's not the same as international soccer and there is no comparison so if there is going to be some men's soccer, I will watch that.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Solo's yellow card. I have never heard a coherent explanation of why the save wasn't good. Yes a person entered the area before the kick but I'm not sure if that was what was called.

Watch the beginning to see the "injury." She gets a yellow card, I think.

A great demonstration of what coming of the line REALLY is. This is the entire PK series. Just a bit of happiness also.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Solo's yellow card. I have never heard a coherent explanation of why the save wasn't good. Yes a person entered the area before the kick but I'm not sure if that was what was called.
Yes the call was on the encroachment. The angle doesn't show it but I'm told the player entering the area was also the first to play the ball after the save. Or maybe it is just because she was in position for the first touch even if she didn't get anything on it?

Last edited:
I know soccer is number one in the world. I can understand why and that's why I like watching it, because no breaks. MLS I can't watch, it's not the same as international soccer and there is no comparison so if there is going to be some men's soccer, I will watch that.
I love international futbol at highest level and especially every four years during amazing FIFA World Cup spectacle. Nearly 200 nations try to qualify and only 32 get into the tournament (or around that number). I prefer watching the men go at it but I like the women too - again at World Cup time. Brazil is hosting next mens World Cup (2014) and I love when they are playing and things are not going so well like in a recent loss to Paraguay. The always wanting to dance Samba crowd instead was surly and beating their drums yelling - "We Want Marta!" - to humiliate their boys who were losing. Funny thing is Marta at just 25 years old has been FIFA womans player of the year last 5 years in a row, so maybe she is actually as good as some of the men on Brazil's current national team.

Thanks Glenn for posting that first vid - I can watch endlessly!