Willie Cauley-Stein: the 2018-19 Season watch

WCS ideal role may be as a 3rd big, in a Bagley-Giles-WCS rotation. The question is, would he be willing to take it? Probably not, unless he gets paid first.
There was a time earlier this season I thought that might be our best bet but now I'd rather have Bjelica become that 3rd big when Giles is ready. Willie is just too much frustration for long spells it makes me question if the highs will ever be worth it.

Cauley Stein is ok when Bagley is in to help take off interior pressure. Although not a panacea, thgh ey are missing Bagley, and the rest extension is tough for the team.

If Dwight Howard is healthy I'm calling the Wizards and trading WCS (hopefully add Porter to the deal as well for whatever).
This is an outrageously bad idea, this is cutting your nose off to spite your face territiory... No offense but these scathing hot-takes are prisoner of the moment typa crap. too many here channeling their inner queen of hearts.

Baggin season!!!

Anyways, I'm just saying if he keeps getting obliterated by opposing bigs, he may play himself into backup money.

But there's always some GM out there down to overpay, especially if WCS continues to have the odd impact game here and there.

So who knows? At this point I'm hoping he gets traded. That's better than risking an overpay or losing him for nothing.
I believe it was the WCS “crystal ball” thread this summer where I mentioned I saw him long term as our third big. I still do. zach Lowe recently suggested “Larry Nance money” as a realistic hope for the Kings ($45M for four years) and id be fine with that. Surveying the teams with available cap space, the only one I see giving WCS an offer above that is Dallas, but they have to decide on jordan first, and might rather chase someone like Boogie.

WCS can say what he wants, and people will post it here endlessly, but he’ll only get offered what the market will bear.

I believe it was the WCS “crystal ball” thread this summer where I mentioned I saw him long term as our third big. I still do. zach Lowe recently suggested “Larry Nance money” as a realistic hope for the Kings ($45M for four years) and id be fine with that. Surveying the teams with available cap space, the only one I see giving WCS an offer above that is Dallas, but they have to decide on jordan first, and might rather chase someone like Boogie.

WCS can say what he wants, and people will post it here endlessly, but he’ll only get offered what the market will bear.
Deandre is 10 times better than WCS. The Larry Nance money seems like too much right now. I would only give him 15mil/3yr ish money. If he isn't satisfy and doesn't have better offer, I would be happy to throw him a QO and let him go next year.

Deandre is 10 times better than WCS. The Larry Nance money seems like too much right now. I would only give him 15mil/3yr ish money. If he isn't satisfy and doesn't have better offer, I would be happy to throw him a QO and let him go next year.
15 mil over 3 years is delusional talk, he's worth at least twice that in this market and he'll likely get offered upwards of three times that.

I'm for keeping Willie for the right price, but I'm very nervous about paying a lot for him. He does fit this style well, but the lack of rebounding and interior defense is always going to be a problem. Consistency too.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
15 mil over 3 years is delusional talk, he's worth at least twice that in this market and he'll likely get offered upwards of three times that.
This just needs to be said again, and then reiterated, and then overemphasized.

Willie should not be a max player, but he's also not a guy that's worth only a bit more than half of the MLE. And I'd bet that if we kick him to the curb this offseason, it won't be long before the folks who wanted him kicked to the curb start bemoaning the fact that we don't have a full-sized center who can run with us.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I'm for keeping Willie for the right price, but I'm very nervous about paying a lot for him. He does fit this style well, but the lack of rebounding and interior defense is always going to be a problem. Consistency too.
What's the max price you would match?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I really don't know until the season is over. Maybe 15/16 mil per. I do know that we cannot continue to let talent walk for nothing. It never works out.
Agreed. It's either trade him or sign him, but don't get absolutely nothing for him. I'm hoping that because one of his main talents is running the floor that he'll have more value to the Kings than many other teams around the league and therefore his offers will reflect that.

I really don't know until the season is over. Maybe 15/16 mil per. I do know that we cannot continue to let talent walk for nothing. It never works out.
Which is why I think he has to be traded by the deadline. His value s Turner money. But I don't like WCS in a contract year, he will be persona non grata playing on a contract he thinks is under his value.

Compared to Randle/Harell is it? Harrell to me is twice as much worth as WCS which would put him roughly at 3mil per season, I know a lot of trash C's have been paid and literally not a single out has worked out. If any team is idiotic enough to pay for WCS more than what Randle/Harrell earn combined (you said three times more 15 over 3 years) than go ahead just hope it's not the Kings

WCS Trade value is lower than you think. Vlade is no Danny Ainge.
Kings will not get much for him. Smart Gm’s already know what their getting with WCS.
WCS is nothing more than a second or third option on most teams.
Kings will be lucky to get an average role player and a second round pick. Kings are not getting a starter for WCS. I will bank on that.
Kings have nothing else to offer. Nobody will be interested in Skal, Mason, or JJ. The way Koufas has been playing this year, he won’t offer much even if included with WCS.
Teams will be interested in Shump.
The best case scenario is WCS gets hot before the trade deadline.

Willie is averaging about 14pts on 53% shooting, about 9 rb, 2.5 ast, 1.2 stls per game with 1.2 turnovers per game. he is shooting 54% from free throw line.

Stats are overrated sometimes. WCS is nothing more than a second or third option on any playoff team.
Kings will get next to nothing for him at this point. Especially, the way he's been playing lately.

Some of you overrate WCS. He's not very good. Most Gm's won't give up anything more than a role player and maybe a 2nd for him Kings aren't getting a starter for him. That I can guarantee.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
WCS is nothing more than a second or third option on any playoff team.
Has anybody seriously made the argument that WCS would be the first option on a playoff team? Has anybody even made the argument that he would be a second or third option?

You must mean "second or third-string center", right? Because if you actually meant second or third option then I'm going to have to ask you to clean up all the chaff that's going to be left over on the floor after you knock all those strawmen down.

And of course, yes, WCS is good enough to be the starting center on a playoff team - I mean, he's our starting center and we're in the playoff hunt, are we not? If we were in the East we would be a solid playoff team, would we not?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Stats are overrated sometimes. WCS is nothing more than a second or third option on any playoff team.
Kings will get next to nothing for him at this point. Especially, the way he's been playing lately.

Some of you overrate WCS. He's not very good. Most Gm's won't give up anything more than a role player and maybe a 2nd for him Kings aren't getting a starter for him. That I can guarantee.
Willie is not a second or third option on any team but a lottery bound team. Trading him now is getting pennies on the dollar, why would any GM give up anything of value when he is a free agent? The Kings need to work out a sign and trade in the off season.

Compared to Randle/Harell is it? Harrell to me is twice as much worth as WCS which would put him roughly at 3mil per season, I know a lot of trash C's have been paid and literally not a single out has worked out. If any team is idiotic enough to pay for WCS more than what Randle/Harrell earn combined (you said three times more 15 over 3 years) than go ahead just hope it's not the Kings
I would maybe see what Javale McGee gets. He’s getting paid like $3mil this year and fits the role I see wcs has on this team. Maybe fewer reb but more blocks.

Willie is not a second or third option on any team but a lottery bound team. Trading him now is getting pennies on the dollar, why would any GM give up anything of value when he is a free agent? The Kings need to work out a sign and trade in the off season.
He's a restricted free agent.

Who would you guys realistically trade Willie for? If we traded him, it means we still have a C hole. I don't think that's something Bagley can fill up because I think he's better as a PF.

Here would be my list of straight up swaps that I think both sides could potentially agree to:
  1. Jaylen Brown
  2. Taurean Prince
  3. Andrew Wiggins
  4. Robert Covington
  5. Nicholas Batum(older, but would be perfect)
  6. Frank Ntilikina

Who would you guys realistically trade Willie for? If we traded him, it means we still have a C hole. I don't think that's something Bagley can fill up because I think he's better as a PF.

Here would be my list of straight up swaps that I think both sides could potentially agree to:
  1. Jaylen Brown
  2. Taurean Prince
  3. Andrew Wiggins
  4. Robert Covington
  6. Frank Ntilikina
Zero chance for Jaylen Brown, Taurean Prince and Covington. Wiggins and Batum maybe because both are massively overpaid. Ntilikina is tricky, he is few years away from being productive but still young. No sure if the Knicks will agree though

1. Jaylen Brown
  2. Taurean Prince
  3. Andrew Wiggins
  4. Robert Covington
  6. Frank Ntilikina
Ther 76ers have to be desperate for a back up C, Amir is beyond trash I would offer WCS/JJ for Korkmaz (expiring) and a guy I think in a couple seasons could be a stud in Jonah Bolden (4 year only 1-2 mil per season) he would fit in excellent with both Harry/Bagley in a three man rotation he will eventually space the floor and has good shot blocking. Korkmaz is a big SG but he's got talent more than JJ imo. The 76ers would have to add Patton (injured/expiring) to make it work money wise.

Last edited: