Why do you love the kings?

A question that I'd like to pose to the members of this forum. I've been a Kings fan since I've been a sports fan, as young as I can remember. I grew up in norcal, an hour away from arco. The kings being the locals, I found myself a natural fan. I love the system and the team. The rest of my allegiances lie with SF-the giants and niners, and, if they had a basketball team, I'd love them too. Of course, I root for other teams in certain situations. Since the niners haven't had a legit title shot in years, I found myself happy to see the pats (and local hero tom brady) knock of the hated rival rams, and then happy to see them repeat this year. i pulled hard for the raiders two years ago in the super bowl. and, it should go without saying, i loved seeing the pistons humiliate the lakers last year, and so wouldn't mind seeing them repeat.

so this brings me to my question- what makes you consider yourself a kings fan? a local fan like myself? did you fall in love watching their valiant effort against the lakers in 02? (and feel sympathy for the injustices commited against them by the league) watching the rise of cwebb and jwill? or just random?

this is mostly out of curiousity, as ive always been bewildered to hear of fans loving a team with absolutely no connection to it or its city, and ive seen a decent amount of it here. not to preemptively judge anyone, but nothing irks me more than watching people become a "fan" of a team just because its winning and abandoning it as soon as things turn south.

seeing as i live in the UK i obviously have no connection to the team or the city of sacramento. whenever the nba gets shown over here i watch the games and there was a period about 3/4 years agao when the kings were on 3 times in a row. they won all 3 games and i liked the way they played so i have followed them ever since

Well no exciting reason for me. Sac is my home though I'm unable to live there currently, and I grew up there. I've been rooting for the Kings for as long as I've been old enough to understand basketball and they are a big part of me. The Kings represent, to me, what a special town Sac is and seeing the Kings play bring those great feelings back. There may be other teams that I have interest enough in to follow but the Kings will always be my #1 no matter who's playing.

I became a kings fan when the kings took on utah in the playoffs (2000 or 2001 playoffs not sure) back then MJ has just retired and i really hated utah...so iwanted them to lose so it was the 1st round of the playoffs no.1 seed jazz vs no.8 seed Kings. Then i found myself caught up in the excitement of the kings. Every shot, every rebound...then i remember they took the jazz to game 7 though they lost..the following year i found myself a kings fan. I also came from another country, the philippines so there is no way im connected to sacramento except maybe i was born in california hehe

always been a webber fan since he got drafted. went for golden state when he was there, went for wizards when he was traded there, and at first i was horrified at the prospect of going for sac when he got traded there - but after years of support, the team is now bigger than the man and im sacramento kings for life even though webber is in phili...

australia is one of the most sport-obsessed countries in the world (we competed in the most sports in the olympics). we all have so many sporting teams to follow its ridiculous - so every1 i know is absolutely shocked that the little known sacramento kings are my favourite sporting team. love the kings! go sac

I am a Kings fan simply because watching this team is such a unique experience. Well, it used to be atleast. The thing that attracted me to this team was the fact that they have a great relationship on and off the court. You feel like you're watchin one big family when you watch them, expecially about 3 or 4 years ago, which is when I started watching them. They are also just so much fun to watch. The way they play is just entertaining and fun.

Plus, I've always been a bibby fan, so that didn't hurt either ;)

I have been a kings fan since they moved here from KC. Before that I was a warrior fan. I live and die with the Kings. I'm a fan come hell or high water, win or lose. I love this team. I get very excited at games. Its always an event for me to go to a Kings game. The prices are getting so high that I can't go to as many games as I would like to. But they are on TV all the time so that makes it easier.

It all started when I lived in Gainesville, FL and my dad was getting his masters at UF. I hated the Gators growing up (they were all my dad talked about). But since I always liked sports I'd watch them play anyway since all the sports showed in Gainseville was Gator stuff. I became attached to this one erractic character name Jason Williams.I followed him to the pros and so I started following the kings. I grew attached to the Kings more than the player. I've been a loyal kings fan ever since.

..I have always been a Rockets fan..still am..and that is what made me notice the Kings..I remember always shuddering when I saw them on the Rockets' schedule..of course Rocket fans do that a lot..but..the Kings always gave a little added thrill..I think I really became a fan when JWill was playing but it became much more than that..the Jazz gave the Rockets fits and I came to hate them..the Kings gave the Rockets fits and I came to love them..

..the Kings just seem to be able to worm their way into your heart..so many great players..such team spirit..the cement was when Bobby Jackson's mother died..I had never seen or heard of such a display in professional sports as the support the team gave to him..

..so now I am Kings fan..always will be..still love my Rockets, but, I have two charms on my bracelet..

..and btw, I banished my fiance from watching Kings games even though he is also big fan..they kept losing when he watched..so from now on he goes to computer when game is on..

..Sacramento Kings..the team with heart..

ps..started in Houston, moved to Phoenix and now am in San Diego..love transcsends geography..

I hated sports my whole life (I was an AV nerd in high school that got picked on my all the jocks) and the 01-02 Kings were what got me into basketball. I loved Vlade and Peja because of the way they acted with Vlade always kissing everyone (my mom is an immagrant from France so I appreciate that).

What's not to love?

I'm from Ohio so I don't have that hometown connection, but after the '02 playoffs, I've been a diehard fan ever since. I think it's great to see such a huge fanbase even with all the recent drama. There's just something about that team that keeps you hooked through thick and thin. And I couldn't be happier with the way Bibby is setting the tone after Webber's departure. He's playing his heart out each night and that kind of dedication makes me proud to be a King fan.

I became a fan the last year that Jason Williams played for the Kings. My husband had a game on, can't remember who they were playing now, but Jason was so fun to watch. I immediately became hooked and proceeded to fall in love with a team that supported eachother and cared about eachother on and off the court. I loved watching the Vlade/Peja/Hedo love, and the Webb/Bibby love when Bibby came on and especially the Bibby/Doug love. They were a team. It was magic.

i love kings because there is Darius Songaila..
so verry much bassketball fan from LITHUANIA.. is too Kings fan :)

now we (Lithuania) have only 2 men in NBA.. Songaila and Ilgauskas.. but Ilgauskas are not our HERO.. they dont play in Lithuania National team...
SOngaila here is hero.. :)

Last edited:
For me it was initially Chris Webber...he was my favorite NBA player when he played for Washington (thats the time i started watching bball) when he got traded to the Kings i was almost as pissed as he was (i said almost ;) ) I didn't know anything about the Kings except for the fact that they weren't good, they hadn't been good for years and that Mitch Richmond was on the squad (well he was traded for Chris ofcourse)...but basically i followed him to Sacramento...and eventually fell in love with the Kings for as you put it "the rise of JWill and CWebb"....(JWill who IMO single handedly but the FUN GLITZ AND GLAMOUR back into the game of basketball)...been a fan ever since....I LOVE being a Kings fan and im PROUD to be a Kings fan!!

GO KINGS!!

My love for the kings started during the playoffs series vs the jazz. I loved watched j will just making some unreal passes on sportscenter late night. I used to get up to the see the highlights of the kings games in the morning . Of course i live in central time , so there is a 2 hour difference . I was 14 years old , i used to like this girl a lot , but i think kings became my primary love for those two weeks in the playoffs.

I've been a fan because I loved Webber since he was a Wolverine. Followed him at GS, followed him to the Bullets, and the Kings. Kings have sticked, I will always feel Webber as a king. Philly......I really have trouble liking Philly teams.

I "discovered" Kings in "NBA live 1997". Then I had 9 years.First I saw their amblem which was interesting to me and then I saw Olden Polynice in the roster I think.That is only name that I remember and I am pretty sure that he was in Kings roster.Anyway,soon Vlade came so I started to follow this team ordinarily.I've been following them for about 7-8 years,well that is very cool.I grew up with this team,I latently hope that I will one day play in Kings jersey ;)

As my username suggests, I became a Kings fans watching the amazing play of Webber and Bibby. Thats what got me hooked on to the Kings. And as I followed them, my respect for Christie just multplied by the day. Was never much of a Vlade fan or a Peja fan as most of the local people seem to be. But I just like them by the virtue of being Kings players.

With the departing of each of these older players like Vlade, Christie and most of all Webber, I have been quite depressed as most of the people. Its definitely the end of the Kings as we had known them for the last half a decade or so.

Just waiting to see what going to happen in the next season. Still a Kings fan though.

I came to like the kings when I was small...my whole family were lakers fans and magic this kareem that...I was like eff it I will pick my own team. I lived in the bay area and I don't know why I didn't like the warriors but as a young child I turned on the TV and saw a Kings vs. warriors game. I loved the shooting style of Mitch Richmond and the almost perfect free throw shooter i believe his name was abdul raul??? I thought Olden Polynice was a funny name also...At that time I began to follow more and more about the King's and now I'm still one of the biggest fans!!!

i like to watch good shooters... watched peja in a couple of regular season games in the 2001 season... got hooked on to kings at that point. now really addicted to the kings and this site... i think i log in almost every 30 mins to see if there are any injury updates

i got hooked on the kings and mike bibby after hitting all those clutch shots in the 01-02 season, that was really the first season i ever got to watch basketball because where i lived we only got like 2 channels...so after seeing that game i have followed and loved the kings from then on

To me, it all started with my brothers. They've been Kings fans since early 90s. They even kept old newspapers of the Kings cause back then, we didn't have the internet. :D The other day, I just saw some very old articles when Corliss & Pedja got drafted by the Kings. Also an article of Webber getting traded from Magic to Warriors. Around late 90s, out of boredom and curiousity (my brothers were always yelling when watching the Kings), I decided to join them and watched the Kings on TV too. Since then, I started watching off and on. But my real love and addiction came when Jason Williams got drafted. I will always remain a Kings fan because 1) they taught me a lot of about Life 2) they're the first sport team...and still is that I love 3) I just love having the passion cheering for my Kings 4) Sacramento isn't far from where I live.

Isn't it funny that back in the 90s, Kings were the best rebounding team. Yet they still weren't a good team. The Kings team now have trouble rebounding but is in the playoff race. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've loved NBA basketball since 1964. I always loved the Celtics because of my Irish heritage AND their style of play. Add in the cute little leprauchaun and it was love at first sight.

I longed for a team closer to home, a team I could see in person occasionally and really get to know at a closer level. When the talk of bringing the Kings to Sacramento first started, I was excited but torn. I did love the Celtics but a hometown team?

Once they got here, it was love at first sight. There was so much excitement in Sacramento. It was my birthday, Christmas and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one. We had OUR OWN TEAM!!!

My first favorite player was Reggie Theus. Through the years I haven't always had a favorite player, but I've always LOVED this team! They not only represent Sacramento, I think they actually exude a portion of Sacramento's personality that I love the most. That feeling is carried over to the fans, apparently the world over.

Why do I love the Kings? Because the idea of NOT loving them just isn't acceptable.

GO KINGS!!!!!

I played high school basketball at Shadow Mountain!!!!! Mike Bibby was a senior when I was a freshman. I got to watch him firsthand from the bus to the court. Great learning experience. I am also friends with his younger cousins Shaun McDonald(Rams WR) and Ryan Walcott(former UCLA point guard) I also went to Arizona State when Eddie House was lighting up the Pac-10. Glad to see the Kings give him a chance. It all really started when I moved to Phoenix in 6th grade and just happened to get put into Shaun and Charlsie's (Mike's sister, Eddie's wife) class. When the Kings traded J-Will for Mike was a real happy day. Watching Mike waste the first few years of his career in Vancouver was painful. GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!