Why do people still think Geoff petrie is some kind of genius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

king07

lemme just recap his moves in the last five or six seasons:

traded away Chris Webber for a bunch of bums, including Kenny Thomas' ridiculous contract.

traded Peja for Ron Ron

Traded Bibby for sheldon williams

overpaid for injury riddled SAR

overpaid for Mikke Moore

overpaid Beno

drafted Quincy Douby nuff said

drafted Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson, two busts

failed to retain guys like Gerald Wallace and Hedo :(

as you can see his list of failures keeps getting longer and longer....

Before that timeframe he put together a championship quality team in a small market ( a rare accomplishment); last season he drafted very well; and in the middle years where he made some of those mistakes there was a perception that owners might have been meddling a bit in personnel decisions.

traded away Chris Webber for a bunch of bums, including Kenny Thomas' ridiculous contract.

traded Peja for Ron Ron

overpaid for Mikke Moore

overpaid Beno

I'm guessing you're a non-American Kings fan right? perhaps from Europe? You don't seem to know the Kings' transactions history very well. for ex, Hedo was traded, not lost in free agency. Chris Webber? Nobody wanted him after the knee injury and big contract. There's more, but i have to go to work now.

Show me a GM who hits on every single move he makes. I mean really, it's impossible to make the perfect move every time. NO ONE can. If in his time here he never brought us a winning team then I would agree with you, but he had this team in the playoffs for 8 straight years. He is bringing us through the rebuilding process which has taken 4 years (should only last one more year). I will take 5 years of pain for 8 years or more of great competitive playoff basketball. And ALWAYS remember, at least we aren't the Clippers!

For nearly every of those, there is a very good reason. I would go over it, but it has been gone over a million times before and after seeing that other thread you made, I don't want to be baited in by trolling.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This must be the 8000th time this has been discussed. The horse is dead already. I mean who the hell cares if someone wants to call him a genius? Call him anything you want. TDOS!!

traded Peja for Ron Ron

overpaid for Mikke Moore

overpaid Beno

And you are the guy that just started a thread contemplating whether or not we should trade Tyreke. So, think about that one.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Let me go over each of these one by one.

I think you're forgetting how angry KingsLand was at C-Webb and the team at this point, they were one missed shot from running him out of town with torches and pitchforks. At the time we dumped Webb and his massive contract (which,albeit, would have been off the books a little sooner than K9), it was for moveable pieces (who were we to question the virtue of trading for three undersized power forwards?). Hindsight is 20/20 but honestly, what other offers were we getting for the bionic knee?

traded Peja for Ron Ron
The Kings under Peja were listless, boring, and, to put it bluntly, going nowhere fast. Once we traded him for Artest, we somehow ended up in the Playoffs. Now, I don't know if it was worth the headaches and all but at least we did get the better end of the trade (Indiana got Peja for half a season, after which he walked off to New Orleans where he earned a massive contract and then promptly broke his back. We, on the other hand, got Ron Ron for two seasons and then promptly dumped him off to the Rockets for Bobby Jackson (fan favorite brought in for nostalgia purposes), Donte Greene (who has shown flashes of being a defensive stopper/good sidekick to Reke), and Omri. The Rockets got one season out of Ron, after which he left them to play Dennis Rodman in Hollywood)

When Bibby got injured, some guy named Beno came out of nowhere and strung together a stretch of games that made him look like our potential PG of the future. As a result, Mike became expendable as he was A. getting old (It's painful watching the Hawks games because he's so..old) and B. pretty darn expensive (this was pre-Beno, but I'll get to that in a second). Now trading him for an undersized PF who was getting by based on college accolades (Kinda like Sean May only with the buffet) and Tyron Lue and Anthony Johnson can perhaps be questioned but this can really be seen as our first MAJOR move of rebuilding (dump salary, acquire young talent [whether the talent pans out or not is another matter]).

Yes, this move can be seen as pretty stupid. He failed an NJ physical and we signed him anyways. That being said, his first year of being in Sacramento went pretty good (Hell, I even admired him for being able to play through a broken jaw). Once his knees fell apart, it was all down hill. Luckily, we got the insurance coverage where it didn't hit us in the cap so, technically, no harm done.

overpaid for Mikke Moore
I agree that this was a bad move. Not really sure what Geoff had seen in Mikki that would warrant the MLE. Maybe it was the dreds, maybe it was the generic stat-lines of nothing, maybe it was the exuberance exhibited whenever Mikki did something he should have been able to do anyways.

overpaid Beno
I blame the Clippers. No, honestly. They wanted him. (They also wanted Baron Davis. I'm not sure what the timeline was on this thing) We really really wanted Beno so we dropped the bigbucks on him. He accepted. He sucked. We hated him. Tyreke shows up. He doesn't suck. There is much rejoicing.

You must remember that at this point in time, we were still generally competitive and what potential playoff team doesn't want a good shooter. He apparently had a legendary pre-draft workout (according to Chuckles, the best he's ever seen shooting-wise). Now making the shots in an actual game was another matter. Does that rectify this move? Not at all. Does Geoff Petrie like people who can shoot? Yes.

I think you use the word bust too lightly. JaMarcus Russel and Ryan Leaf? Busts. JT and Spence are both serviceable bigmen. Are they Shaq or Dwight Howard? No but then again no one really is, that's what makes those bigs special.

Remeber that GW was pretty much rotting on the bench. Sure he could dunk but other than that, his biggest talent was keeping the chairs nice and warm for Webb and the other guys who actually mattered. Does that make the bitter taste of seeing him become an all-star go away? Hell no. But I can see why we would do it. We were in win now mode and Wallace was in slow-developing mode.

Hedo was a nice part of our team. That being said, he was the integral piece in getting Brad Miller, who was an all-star his first two seasons here and essentially tearing it up (of course, this was at the point where he still gave a damn). I should also add that while Hedo is a good, solid player, he is also paid far more than he should be.

Gee. Picking up that Tyreke Evans scrub sure was a terrible move and then giving away Kevin Martin for Carl Landry and capspace. Terrible. Absolutely terrible. He also wasted a pick on some scrawny Israeli loser when he should have obviously picked Maynor.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have a friend who hates carrots. Absolutely despises them. Like to the extent that he'll pick the little shredded carrots out of cole slaw. I just don't get it. I mean, I don't go running after the carrot truck when it comes down the street, but I just can't see what's so objectionable about them. Crunchy, a little bit sweet with a vegetable-y taste...which seems pretty normal seeing as they're vegetables. It's not as if he doesn't like other vegetables, it's just carrots. Weird.

traded Peja for Ron Ron

overpaid for Mikke Moore

overpaid Beno

you are looking at the negatives my friend but look at what he has done before

its too early to tell if spencer and jt are busts... way too early

and honestly i loved peja but artest with his bolts screwed on tight was way better than peja...

winning executive of the year 2 times is not a stroke of luck my friend you have to have savvy and smarts...

ugh. Another one of these threads.

I dont think he's a genius, but I think hes in the better half of GMs in the league. I'll take that.
I think the number is closer to 3/4ths. There are a lot of bad GM's out there and I can think of at least 3 of them. The ones that didnt choose Tyreke Evans! So there you have it. 3 dumb GM's in a row, then Petrie makes a great choice. Enough said.

I'm guessing you're a non-American Kings fan right? perhaps from Europe? You don't seem to know the Kings' transactions history very well. for ex, Hedo was traded, not lost in free agency. Chris Webber? Nobody wanted him after the knee injury and big contract. There's more, but i have to go to work now.
How does being a non-American Kings make a difference in knowing the Kings' transaction history?

Im from Australia, and yes I do know that Hedo was traded and yes I do know about other transaction activities involving the kings.

Im sorry but this comment is just plain ignorant.

How does being a non-American Kings make a difference in knowing the Kings' transaction history?

Im from Australia, and yes I do know that Hedo was traded and yes I do know about other transaction activities involving the kings.

Im sorry but this comment is just plain ignorant.

No offense, most Kings fans know their team history well. But there are also a lot of "Kings fans" that are actually just fans of certain players from certain countries, and they have their own agenda.

Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes are big men, they take forever to get it. like 4-5 season usually.

I would rather have Geoff Petrie than 90% of the other gm's in this league!

This thread and the one in the personnel moves bout trading Tyreke just made my day.
It's always nice to be reminded that you're not the dumbest person around

You're probably the type of immature kid that will drive by a movie theater that has a long line for a movie that you just finished watching and you'd scream at the top of your lungs exactly how the movie ends.

Let's see. He... went... to... Princeton.

Of the schools I applied to, I was accepted to UCLA, USC and UC Davis and wasn't accepted to UC Berkeley.
I'm just shy of genius according to "tests". This means I get IT, but don't completely lack social skills. :cool:

Now if you went to MIT or CalTech then you might have cause in saying the guy isn't a genius.

What school did you get into dude?

No offense, most Kings fans know their team history well. But there are also a lot of "Kings fans" that are actually just fans of certain players from certain countries, and they have their own agenda.
No, ElRey, your post was actually stupid. I do not want you to be offended as well but it was really stupid. I hope you will get it.

This thread and the one in the personnel moves bout trading Tyreke just made my day.
It's always nice to be reminded that you're not the dumbest person around
Many smart people think Geoff ha done a subpar job. And thinking that he has done anything better than average over the last 10 years, is blindsighted or delusional.

I must say he isnt the worst GM of all time, but over the last 10 years or o, he hasn't been great and he hasn't been woeful.

Last edited:
And another thing...you try a rebuild the way he has the past couple years and tell me it's easy? I KNOW for a fact that this offseason will be his biggest 'measuring stick' as a GM to date, and I've been waiting for this since the beginning of LAST season when he blew the team up to start the major rebuild...he has the $$$ now, he has some movable assets, and he has another top draft pick. This is his defining moment in his managerial career...I've thrown out everything questionable up until this point, because THIS will define him.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Aside from the fact that some of the moves mentioned had their merits and that others may have come from ownership, I don't think anybody around here considers Petrie to be infallible. He has however done quite well in a small market and appears to be back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.