Who would you hire as the new Kings GM?

Who should be the new Kings GM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What does it mean that Dumars is noted as the GM and Matina not involved in the same tweet? Is the team trying to do some PR cleanup on the FO reputation? Along with the Kings hiring a firm to do the GM search, they appear to be trying to come off as a serious franchise. Good news if Dumars is the one pushing to change the narrative on this teams front office.

What does it mean that Dumars is noted as the GM and Matina not involved in the same tweet? Is the team trying to do some PR cleanup on the FO reputation? Along with the Kings hiring a firm to do the GM search, they appear to be trying to come off as a serious franchise. Good news if Dumars is the one pushing to change the narrative on this teams front office.
95-99% of the fanbase probably won’t be aware of this stuff going on. Doesn’t make much sense as purely PR. I’m taking this at face value of the franchise outsourcing a good chunk of the decision making legwork and analysis. Which is a good thing.

If the search firm is legit, I'm all for it--assuming, of course, that the CEO and COO won't have a say in the final decision.

A few years ago, UCLA hired a search firm to find our next head football coach. The list came back and it was John Harbaugh (when he was an asst) and Chris Petersen (when he was with Boise St). Petersen turned down the offer. So basically the job should've been Harbaugh's. Instead, the Bruins chose Rick Neuheisal because of football alumni lobbying (Aikmen) and Neuhisal's campaigning (see: Scott Perry). Today, Harbaugh has won a Super bowl and is looking like he'll be with the Ravens for another 20 years and Petersen just retired after rebuilding UW's football program. Meanwhiel, Neuheisal is a college football commentator somewhere. And UCLA has since moved on from Neuheisal to Mora to Chip Kelly--in the process buring through hundreds of milliions in salaries and buyouts.

dude12

Hall of Famer
From the list that Jason Anderson posted, all are interesting and from successful organizations except Scott Perry. Perry’s signings with the Knicks was not good....signing a crap ton of PF’s. I mean, sign the guys coming from these successful organizations and who are making great contributions as opposed to Scott Perry.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
From the list that Jason Anderson posted, all are interesting and from successful organizations except Scott Perry. Perry’s signings with the Knicks was not good....signing a crap ton of PF’s. I mean, sign the guys coming from these successful organizations and who are making great contributions as opposed to Scott Perry.
To be fair, we don't know how much of those signings were on Scott Perry and how much of those were on team president Steve Mills.

95-99% of the fanbase probably won’t be aware of this stuff going on. Doesn’t make much sense as purely PR. I’m taking this at face value of the franchise outsourcing a good chunk of the decision making legwork and analysis. Which is a good thing.
Was thinking the PR would be directed at other teams, potential GM candidates and players agents.

Feels like we’re repeating the Malone / PDA scenario, on steroids this time.

Luke was hired before Dumars, has two years left on his contract, and apparently still has the support of Vivek going into next year.

Dumars was hired after Luke, is currently GM, will be hiring the next GM, and apparently Vivek has faith in him to make these decisions.

Now we have a new GM coming in, working in the same building as the former GM who hired him. That former GM also became interim GM after the last GM left, and would obviously become GM again when the new GM gets fired. In terms of soft power, Dumars has all of it.

The same new GM is also stuck with a bad coach who probably has trouble finding his way to G1C every day, much less the ability to implement a coherent system based on the vision of the new GM. If he’s denied the ability to put together his own coaching staff, the new GM is going to be pretty screwed since his success will be directly tied to how badly Luke ****s up his plans.

And this is all within an org that has proven itself to be a breeding ground for drama and backstabbing between executives and coaches.
It’s exactly what happened, vevik went behind vlades back and asked him to take a step back absurd

If there's a bunch of guys that have drafted well enough to get their teams deep into the playoffs without signing high profile free agents then I think the choice is easy.

The Kings will sign Scott Perry.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wouldn’t even get excited not one game changer in the draft
To be fair, this was largely being said about the 2013 draft, only for it to wind up producing Dipo, Giannis, and Rudy Gobert. Probably no clear cut top of the draft early bloomers but that's where having a good scouting department that puts in the work comes in and... oh crap, the Kings don't have a front office.

To be fair, this was largely being said about the 2013 draft, only for it to wind up producing Dipo, Giannis, and Rudy Gobert. Probably no clear cut top of the draft early bloomers but that's where having a good scouting department that puts in the work comes in and... oh crap, the Kings don't have a front office.
Yup that’s true but it’s not just one I can get so hyped about and if we move up I’ll punch someone if we draft Lamelo

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Papagiannis was a pick that shouldn't have happened in the modern pace NBA but I'm not going to get mad at Vlade for taking a chance on Skal only for him to just never quite put it together as an NBA player.
I'll second that. Skal at #28 after he came into the year a consensus top-5 pick and wasn't injured was the kind of gamble a team like the Kings can't afford NOT to take. Didn't work out, as he never quite put it all together. But there was an obvious ton of talent there.

Look at 2016. Was and still is an awful draft but outside the top 5 you had Hield, Jamal Murray, Sabonis, Levert, Siakam, Dejounte Murray and Brogdon.

Maybe the Kings can trip over themselves and land the next Siakam.
A weak draft plus Covid. Going to be a lot of players slipping thru the cracks. Makes picking a GM with an eye for talent more important than ever. Especially with three second round picks.