Who was supposed to be guarding Kobe when he nailed the game-winning three pointer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this was a few games ago, but to my knowledge not one reporter asked this question, and it was never discussed in the Bee or on 1140. Amazing in that it was such a crucial question.

Appears that Rodriguez was following Sasha Vujacic when he slammed into Kobe, while Kenny Thomas, who was originally covering Kobe, stayed in the key in an apparent zone defense. WTF? Any explanations for that defensive strategy?

Last week Grant Napier dismissed a caller (as uniformed) when the caller questioned the selection of Rodriguez to guard Kobe. Grant shot back that Rodriguez was not guarding Kobe before terminating the call.

You can see a recap of the shot from both the Kings and Lakers perspective plus an interview with Kobe here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaPtP4WzpU

yea, it's a zone, maybe westphal thought that man on man defence is too common and obvious in those situations so he tried to confuse the lakers.
KT is an easy matchup for Kobe but Westphal couldn't predict that kobe will go to the paint, he probably though kobe will catch the ball outside the arc or near the arc, and then in the zone defence more than one guy can disturb kobe to shoot..

anyway, Sergio was fouled hard raggie miller style, so I don't think it was such a great offense for the lakers, they just had luck

Is it at all possible that Kobe's blocking of/collision with Sergio could be considered an illegal screen?
Possible that Kobe was setting screen to free Vujacic, but appears more to me that Sergio was just as responisble if not more so for the contact. Regardless, nobody was guarding Kobe. I wonder what Westphal had in mind?

K

Kingsguy881

Sergio should have been on Gasol. Udoka should have been inside Kobe's jersey. And KT should have been waiting on the double. I don't know why KT flittered down in the paint to guard nobody. For the first time this season PW was outcoached.

Watch Coach W through entire vid play-by-play sequence.

He stands frozen stiff, arms calmly folded, only head moving ever so slightly. Our coach (who I like a lot) is closest King to Bryant by far as he inexplicably gets loose for buzzer beater winning shot. In fact, he's less than three feet from Bryant with closest Kings player nearly ten feet away. Bryant should have been triple teamed to avoid any effective picks Lakers could try and execute. At least one King should have been close enough to contest the shot or even foul him if that's last resort in that do or die situation. Westphal should have yelled, jumped up, flailing his arms, anything to attempt even minor distraction. Maybe he could have screamed "Black Mamba Rapist!!!" or something like that just as the ball arrived and was released.

It was a shocking and total defensive breakdown - one that's on the coach.

He stands frozen stiff, arms calmly folded, only head moving ever so slightly. Our coach (who I like a lot) is closest King to Bryant by far as he inexplicably gets loose for buzzer beater winning shot. In fact, he's less than three feet from Bryant with closest Kings player nearly ten feet away. Bryant should have been triple teamed to avoid any effective picks Lakers could try and execute. At least one King should have been close enough to contest the shot or even foul him if that's last resort in that do or die situation. Westphal should have yelled, jumped up, flailing his arms, anything to attempt even minor distraction. Maybe he could have screamed "Black Mamba Rapist!!!" or something like that just as the ball arrived and was released.

Westphal answered this on the radio yesterday. They had the Lakers play right and played the correct defense. Sergio was switched onto Kobe. The only thing he said was Sergio could have played it better if he didn't try and take a charge.

K

Kingsguy881

Westphal answered this on the radio yesterday. They had the Lakers play right and played the correct defense. Sergio was switched onto Kobe. The only thing he said was Sergio could have played it better if he didn't try and take a charge.
Sergio wasn't man enough for the situation. He is trade bait. I sincerely hope he never sees the court again in a Kings jersey once Martin and Garcia are healthy. He makes horrible decisions, he tries to do too much, and he is a liability on the defensive end. Fake Jason Statham looking dude.

I can see why that other guy is so in love with Sergio.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, I know this was a few games ago, but to my knowledge not one reporter asked this question, and it was never discussed in the Bee or on 1140. Amazing in that it was such a crucial question.

Appears that Rodriguez was following Sasha Vujacic when he slammed into Kobe, while Kenny Thomas, who was originally covering Kobe, stayed in the key in an apparent zone defense. WTF? Any explanations for that defensive strategy?

Last week Grant Napier dismissed a caller (as uniformed) when the caller questioned the selection of Rodriguez to guard Kobe. Grant shot back that Rodriguez was not guarding Kobe before terminating the call.

You can see a recap of the shot from both the Kings and Lakers perspective plus an interview with Kobe here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaPtP4WzpU

You know I don't know what brought this up again a week later, although I have my suspicions -- you should ponder posting on some other topic than the Lakers -- but it really was fairly simple after you rewatched it.

1) Sergio's man was Vujacic
2) amazingly Kenny Thomas's man was Kobe
3) They run a pick play, wiht Kobe basically setting an illegal moving screen on Sergio
4) so Sergio and KT are effectively switched -- then Sergio's man = Kobe, while KT's man = Vujacic
5) of course the moving pick knocks Sergio back, so now he's out of the play, and Kobe was supposed to be his man
6) meanwhile KT sees all this but still goes with his man Vujacic to the hoop -- probably technically the right call off of the switch but absolutely the wrong one in real life
7) end result = Sergio is out of the play, KT is out of the play, open Kobe three
8) meanwhile mysteriously our two best remaining perimeter defenders
(Evans missed the game, Greene had fouled out) are wasted, Udoka inexplicably faceguarding Pau up at the three point line, and Omri entirely on the other side of the floor, while we let Sergio Rodriguez and Kenny Thomas play Kobe Bryant in a game winning situation.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Sergio wasn't man enough for the situation. He is trade bait. I sincerely hope he never sees the court again in a Kings jersey once Martin and Garcia are healthy. He makes horrible decisions, he tries to do too much, and he is a liability on the defensive end. Fake Jason Statham looking dude.

I can see why that other guy is so in love with Sergio.....
There is limited blame to be placed on Sergio in that situation (the little there is being to whatever degree he flopped there, but there was plenty of contact) -- we have one of the few PGs in the league who would have had any chance to physically stay in that play off of that pick. Blaming a backup PG for getting overpowered by Kobe Bryant is a bit much.

K

Kingsguy881

There is limited blame to be placed on Sergio in that situation (the little there is being to whatever degree he flopped there, but there was plenty of contact) -- we have one of the few PGs in the league who would have had any chance to physically stay in that play off of that pick. Blaming a backup PG for getting overpowered by Kobe Bryant is a bit much.
I just didn't see anybody else to blame, except maybe KT. I thought Brockman should have been in the game. I personally don't think someone as wimpy as Sergio should have been on the court. Beno is tougher. And I was pissed at Sergio for his wild fruitless forays into the lane in the fourth quarter. So yeah, he drew my ire. More than Udoka's missed FT's. Why would you try to flop on Kobe in a game deciding situation? Thats just wimpy stuff.

Bricklayer

I just didn't see anybody else to blame, except maybe KT. I thought Brockman should have been in the game. I personally don't think someone as wimpy as Sergio should have been on the court. Beno is tougher. And I was pissed at Sergio for his wild fruitless forays into the lane in the fourth quarter. So yeah, he drew my ire. More than Udoka's missed FT's. Why would you try to flop on Kobe in a game deciding situation? Thats just wimpy stuff.

I am not sure he did.

K

Kingsguy881

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. The fact of the matter is he was overpowered by Kobe and it just looked really feeble. I did not like how it looked. As soon as I saw him flailing off Kobe like Al Bundy throwing out one of Kelly's boyfriends I turned my back and left the room. I didn't even watch the shot, I knew what was about to happen. I know Sergio is a little dude, but that would not have happened to Nate Robinson, who is even smaller. I just don't think Sergio is tough enough for the new genetic composition of this team, and I question Martin's toughness to the same degree. Jury's out on Martin and Hawes for now, though.

All I know is Sergio shouldnt have even been on the floor that play. He is our worst perimeter defender and he was on the perimeter. Whether Kobe was his man or not, He was closest and maybe a better defensive player would have picked up the best player in the league when he is wide open for three. I wish I knew why Westphal had him out there. Seems like a brain fart to me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Has this question now been answered? Can we just move on before it turns into another debate about Sergio?

Just askin...

K

Kingsguy881

Has this question now been answered? Can we just move on before it turns into another debate about Sergio?

Just askin...
That depends....the answer I want is for Westphal himself to come on here and tell us that he is done playing Sergio. Then I can move on. Until that happens I will remain one of Sergio's biggest detractor. He plays for my team and I want him to do well, but my confidence that he WILL do well has faded.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, well don't hold your breath waiting for a personal response from Westphal. I think he's probaby got better things to do with his time. ;)

My point was that the specfiic question by the OP has been answered. AAFAIC, the original question was more than a bit suspect to begin with, as already pointed out by one of my august colleagues.

K

Kingsguy881

Yeah, well don't hold your breath waiting for a personal response from Westphal. I think he's probaby got better things to do with his time. ;)

My point was that the specfiic question by the OP has been answered. AAFAIC, the original question was more than a bit suspect to begin with, as already pointed out by one of my august colleagues.
Like make Hubacher caddy commercials :D

Seriously, I know Westphal isn't going to bother with a fan website because it is for us fans. I'm not being serious. I would HOPE he would have something better to do than post or even read what crazy concotions we come up with on here. I'm just being a fool. An unrealistic fool.

I wonder....is it legal for a coach or even a player to yell in the ear of an opposing player? It happens all the time in the playground and can be disruptive (notice the effect it has on golfers; it doesn't work when you have a lot of background noise because it blends in, but when isolated it is jarring, just like a barking dog while jogging).

You know I don't know what brought this up again a week later, although I have my suspicions -- you should ponder posting on some other topic than the Lakers -- but it really was fairly simple after you rewatched it.

1) Sergio's man was Vujacic
2) amazingly Kenny Thomas's man was Kobe
3) They run a pick play, wiht Kobe basically setting an illegal moving screen on Sergio
4) so Sergio and KT are effectively switched -- then Sergio's man = Kobe, while KT's man = Vujacic
5) of course the moving pick knocks Sergio back, so now he's out of the play, and Kobe was supposed to be his man
6) meanwhile KT sees all this but still goes with his man Vujacic to the hoop -- probably technically the right call off of the switch but absolutely the wrong one in real life
7) end result = Sergio is out of the play, KT is out of the play, open Kobe three
8) meanwhile mysteriously our two best remaining perimeter defenders
(Evans missed the game, Greene had fouled out) are wasted, Udoka inexplicably faceguarding Pau up at the three point line, and Omri entirely on the other side of the floor, while we let Sergio Rodriguez and Kenny Thomas play Kobe Bryant in a game winning situation.
Nice description. Too bad no one in the media or the Kings could be so descriptive. KT should have gone to Kobe in that situation.

Why do you say the question was suspect?

Because the milk had not only been spilt, it had been wiped up and the floor had dried. And another carton of milk had been purchased and consumed...
I hadn't seen the question answered yet....and with the exception of Bricklayer, still haven't. The Bee and 1140 really blew the reporting of the end of this game. Grant himself stated that Rodriguez was not guarding Kobe; yet, 90% of the people still think he was.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hadn't seen the question answered yet....and with the exception of Bricklayer, still haven't. The Bee and 1140 really blew the reporting of the end of this game. Grant himself stated that Rodriguez was not guarding Kobe; yet, 90% of the people still think he was.
And my comment is so what? Maybe there is no right answer... I'm saying the game is over, and I think we can move on. It's not like it was a deciding play in game 7 of the WCF or anything.

At this point, what difference does it make? That's one of the reasons we close game discussion threads after the game. You can only beat a dead horse for so long before nothing is left but a few scarred bones. At this point, I think even the bones of this particular dead horse have turned to dust and blown away...

And my comment is so what? Maybe there is no right answer... I'm saying the game is over, and I think we can move on. It's not like it was a deciding play in game 7 of the WCF or anything.

At this point, what difference does it make? That's one of the reasons we close game discussion threads after the game. You can only beat a dead horse for so long before nothing is left but a few scarred bones. At this point, I think even the bones of this particular dead horse have turned to dust and blown away...
Ok, should haved addressed earlier in this forum. I asked the question on my YouTube video and nobody responded. No response in media either. Nice to have an intelligent response by Bricklayer. Question closed! lol

Bricklayer

Ok, should haved addressed earlier in this forum. I asked the question on my YouTube video and nobody responded. No response in media either. Nice to have an intelligent response by Bricklayer. Question closed! lol

Yeah, its fine as long as you are looking for a real response, but peopel are not surprisingly not going to be chipper about discussing it as a rule. Now however its been answered, so now we can move on, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.