WHITESIDE! (Lol, 1yr/min deal)

I actually think we need rim protection, an actual 7-footer.
We do not have youth at the center position, so he does not hinder anyone, but he can make up for some of the youth's mistakes.

Everyone lists Bagley as a center, he is not that right now. Can he be in the future? Maybe, but he is best suited as a PF rn.

I see too many of our bigs best suited as PFs right now. Sure Bjelly and Holmes can play some minutes there, but they struggle against some of the bigger 5s in the game.

I know everyone hates this, but I’m fine with it. 1 year deal for a guy who gets 12+ rebounds and 2+ blocks. Not a great fit with bagley, but they will have to figure out some combos with Nemanja and Barnes at the 4 to stretch the floor

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how much money he got, but at one year, can't be a disaster. We needed a full-sized center, and we got one. He hasn't been a big minutes eater, made his way all the way up to 30 mpg in Portland last year. Shoot, he led the league in O-rebs and blocks last year, and he's 31. On a one year deal at a position of need? Count me in.

I'm OK with it. I know he's seen as an empty stats kind of guy, but he's actually highly productive, so my only worry is that he will lead to a few unnecessary wins. He's effective when he's on the floor.

Hopefully the intention is to flip him at the deadline (possibly along with Buddy), to a team looking to make a push. Being able to offer a productive big, who isn't signed long-term, could be attractive to any number of teams looking to make a run in the playoffs.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I’ve always wondered why everyone hates Whiteside with the stats he puts up, but then I barely caught any Heat or Blazers games over the years.

Guess we’ll get to see the glorious stat padding first hand next season! I’m gonna be on that “Lin” train again, so I’m cool with empty stats.

I’ve always wondered why everyone hates Whiteside with the stats he puts up, but then I barely caught any Heat or Blazers games over the years.

Guess we’ll get to see the glorious stat padding first hand next season! I’m gonna be on that “Lin” train again, so I’m cool with empty stats.
I think because a combo of him not working out for us when we drafted him, after a few seasons toiling he broke out and then he got a huge pay-day and then went back to just being ok on a huge contract. But I don't know why the hate. And a 1 year minimum, we sure aren't overpaying! I'm down.

I really don’t get how 15/13/2 is worth only the minimum the way this free agency went.

Can you imagine how insane we would have been acting if Holmes put those numbers up last season?! Can you imagine how thrilled we would be if Bagley even approached those numbers?!
It’s simple the dude plays like he doesn’t care. Contract year Portland in play in games and the first round and he was playing like he didn’t wanna be there. Now imagine him here where we will be the last place team in the west by week 2 he’s gonna give zero effort.

he’s gold on snap though

It's great to have a veteran who can teach youngster how to survive in the league. Steal rebounds from teammates, jump on every pump fake so you get a couple of blocks per game despite allowing lots of easy baskets, collect stats and sign a big contract.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think because a combo of him not working out for us when we drafted him, after a few seasons toiling he broke out and then he got a huge pay-day and then went back to just being ok on a huge contract. But I don't know why the hate. And a 1 year minimum, we sure aren't overpaying! I'm down.
Oh, I didn’t mean Kings fans specifically hating him. Dude has a bad rap in the league as a player who puts up gaudy stats but has a relative lack of positive impact on the court.

I agree with you on the contract though, no reason at all to complain about a 1 year minimum!

Oh, I didn’t mean Kings fans specifically hating him. Dude has a bad rap in the league as a player who puts up gaudy stats but has a relative lack of positive impact on the court.

I agree with you on the contract though, no reason at all to complain about a 1 year minimum!
well aside from the Kings connect I think that he put up some numbers and got a big deal he didn't really live up to is pretty much something everyone hates. At this point he serves the same purpose as WCS and is more game ready than Giles I guess.